The 'squirmiest' ending to a Bond film.

Comments

What about Moneypenny and Q? :p
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2011 Posts: 15,690
    What about Moneypenny and Q? :p
    Have become useless in the Brosnan era. If, like me, you hate the 1995-2008 era of horrible outings, and stopped caring after 1989, then yes, Q and MP are great characters.

Samantha Bond was brilliant as Moneypenny. I will hear no such thing X(
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Lois Maxwell >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caroline Bliss >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Samantha Bond.
    I thought Brosnan and Samanther Bond were great together! She delivered those lines so well! And Bonds reposts were actually funny! Plus, she looked pretty hot in a girl next door kind of way.
    The Money penny role is not an easy one to pull off..... take a look at Caroline Bliss....bad.
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 11,189
    You would REALLY take Caroline Bliss, a specky, secondary school girl with a crush who barely got 3 scenes with 007 over Bond???

PAH!!! is what I say to you.

Maxwell/Bond

Bliss

In fairness to Bliss though she didn't really get that much to play around with. #

Anyway...topic
    Maxwell...Bond...

Bliss
  • This shouldn't even be a discussion. Maxwell was classic for obvious reasons but Samantha Bond did a stellar job as Moneypenny. Caroline Bliss was terrible and there is no getting around it!
    Anyway...topic
    How can you put anything from the Brosnan era on the same level of the Moore/Connery era... let's just say you need a good soap to wash your mouth.

Like the famous saying goes - Watch a Moore outing a day to keep the Brosnan mess away !!
    A boy ain't in his right mind if he don't respect Sheriff J.W. Pepper.

Get that elephant statue away, boy! Sheriff Pepper's a Democrat!
    Anyway, topic...

...I am finding that I am fond of these "squirmiest endings", so I think the squirmier the better!
    Oops, sorry about the double (now triple) post. #-O
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    Lois Maxwell >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Caroline Bliss >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Samantha Bond.
    Pretty much how I rank them as well, DC007.

I'd have to say the Randy Rog endings to both Spy and MR, rank right up there in the yeech squirmy ending rankings. AVTAK and OP are pretty close as well but nothing tops MR.
    Brozzer and Christmas at the end of TWINE is squirmy yecchy as well.
    But Rog and Broz were the male model Bonds. Randiness was their stock in trade.
    The other 4 brought more testosterone to the proceedings and less yecch.
    I think you made a good point there Timmer. Moore always seemed to get away with his squirmy endings, Brosnan didn`t. Maybe it was because it was the era they were made in, and we tend to forgive them.....then again, DAD was just bad.
  • You will not stop my love for TMWTGG, JW Pepper and Roger Moore !! Although Tee Hee, Drax and Jaws are great... Why, because they are in the Moore era !!
    As I mentioned before, I enjoyed the Roger Moore era Bond Films. He is my favourite Bond, next to Brosnan and Dalton beeing the third. But TMWTGG was not his finest moment
    You will not stop my love for TMWTGG, JW Pepper and Roger Moore !! Although Tee Hee, Drax and Jaws are great... Why, because they are in the Moore era !!
    As I mentioned before, I enjoyed the Roger Moore era Bond Films. He is my favourite Bond, next to Brosnan and Dalton beeing the third. But TMWTGG was not his finest moment
    A Moore fan with Brosnan ranked 2nd? Nonsense !! Sean Connery is the best of the non-Moore Bond actors !!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think you made a good point there Timmer. Moore always seemed to get away with his squirmy endings, Brosnan didn`t. Maybe it was because it was the era they were made in, and we tend to forgive them.....then again, DAD was just bad.
    There may come a day when we shall even forgive DAD's many flaws, but not yet. It'll take many more years in my opinion before nostalgia wins from everything else.

We could essentially be here all night with this- Squirmiest (?) Bond endings etc

I think in the simplest terms it's merely endings we take issue with-

I saw Doctor No a few hours ago and never really liked the way Connery and Honey are drifting out at sea in a little boat and then all of a sudden a great battleship comes up with army personnel filled to the rafters, I just found it all a bit silly

Other examples in no particular order for me-

Brosnan and Richards- 'Christmas in Turkey', the fireworks, 'It's getting redder', - 'I thought it only came once a year', - I felt I wanted to scream when I first saw it

Moore and Roberts in the shower - 'That is not the soap' - The least said the better

Moonraker as mentioned doubtless - 'I think he's attempting re-entry sir'

Dalton and Lowell at the Sanchez residence - winking fish etc

Goldeneye - Brosnan and Scorupco get down to it and next second all those silly marines stand up and Wade appears from nowhere

Die Another Day - Christ, the horrible Berry character and Brosnan picking diamonds out her navel, I wanted to murder someone

I think that'll do for now, but there at least, are some fine examples of 'squeamish endings' or however you want to see them as

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    AVTAK. PLEEEEEASE DON'T DROP THE SOAP! X_X
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited March 2012 Posts: 5,979
    I don't like the fake Thatcher in FYEO, but I do like how Melina says the title afterward.

DAD has just dumb dialogue at the end.

TWINE has the squirmiest ending for me because Bond is crude (an orgasm joke, really?). MR's "reentry" pun is far more clever.

On the flip side, while a mediocre film, QoS has one of the best endings (with bonus points for not ending near/on water!).
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Well, I like the ending of FYEO.
    But squirmiest for me was: TWINE (geez! too much cheese! I was really sick of her character by then anyway) and DAD (just yuk)
  • QsAssistantQsAssistant All those moments lost in time... like tears in rain
    I guess I'm the only guy who actually likes TWINE ending; makes me laugh every time, plus I quote it... a lot. Heck, sometimes when I think of that line it makes me want to watch the film.
    Robot Chicken helped me appreciate it more...

Ending to DAD is poor very little effort went into it, and felt awkward to watch.

Elliot carver mockingly doing kung fu is a squirmfest.
    Dr. No's is pretty squirmish, too happy, yay-rah, and the ending music is kind of corny, plus the audio messes the music up badly!
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Samantha Bond was brilliant as Moneypenny. I will hear no such thing X(
    I think Samantha Bond was a great Miss Moneypenny. A big improvement over Caroline Bliss. Lois Maxwell and Samantha Bond are my top Moneypenny's.

anyway the endings that make me squirm are.....

FRWL: Horrible back projection and Connery wave...
    TMWTGG: How did M get the number to Scaramanga's boat?
    MR: Need I say more...?

the rest I can handle.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I face palm at the pathetic end to the mess that is DAD. Throwing it into the garbage is a disgrace to the trash contained inside it. [-(
    00Beast wrote:
    Dr. No's is pretty squirmish, too happy, yay-rah, and the ending music is kind of corny, plus the audio messes the music up badly!

I think that's just Monty Norman's score. Easily my second least favorite Bond score behind Serra's GE score.
    Already been said Brady, it's essentially a final thumb to the nose of the viewer who has been sitting (in some discomfort) for the previous two hours of that nonsense

They could of had Pike survive as the Bond girl ally and killed off the Berry character as an adversary of sorts but they got it all wrong in the end, it was just the culmination of a near disaster of a Bond film

'Looks like we're going down together' etc, I always find some anxiety with the final 10 minutes of it, and with the rest of the film too, If I can be honest

And pleasing also to see some other users taking issue with the end of Doctor No, I didn't like what they did with it, pity really as it spoils an overall very good first release