The 'squirmiest' ending to a Bond film.

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @JBFAN626 I don't have problem with dates special effects, but the only thing that wasn't back projection at the end of FRWL was Connery's hand.
  • saunderssaunders Living in a world of avarice and deceit
    Maybe it's my immature sense of humour but I really like those squirmy endings and while I do love both the CR and QOS endings I do miss seeing Q pop up with some 'knob' pun. The worst ending for me is GE because after such a great film it was just so lame, all those soldiers hidden just exactly where Bond and Nat's jump off the helicopter, the pilot getting off scot free, Wade not making some decent attempt at the 'knob' pun (he could of at least said something like 'looks like it wasn't just the satellite dish that was going to blow today' ) and to top it all Bond dosen't even get the chance to get laid at the end, mind you when you consider that awfull song at the end it would probably of spoilt the moment for them anyway!
  • edited May 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I totally agree with @PrinceKamalKahn - TMWTGG's ending is not only the best Moore ending, but the the best ending of the entire franchise.

I'm suprised no one mentionned FRWL ? Connery's corny waving at the camera, and obvious back-projection is just horrible.
    Matt Monro wins over Lulu everytime (no offence Lulu fans) :)

In regard to Saunders though I completely agree. As a Brit, there's something very cheeky and uniquely English about those endings.

There is such a thing as overdoing it though - as DAD does.

Regarding the end of GE I think its safe to say Bond got laid soon after the mission ;)
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    I think Die Another Day and The World Is Not Enough are the worst. Though Die Another Day is by far the worst, what a sad way for Brosnan to go, in such an awful film as well...
    I forgot TSWLM

Moore says his line perfectly

Its ruined by the editor putting in the tape labeled "Pub friday Night"

• I'm suprised no one mentionned FRWL ? Connery's corny waving at the camera, and obvious back-projection is just horrible.
    I'm glad you brought this up. I've always thought the hand waving at the end of FRWL was a bit awkward. Also, what do you mean by back-projection? Is that something similar to a "green screen"?
    back projection is what they used in older movies prior to green screen. Its when they had an actual seperate film of the required location in the background with the actors saying their lines in a studio. Sometimes it looked fake.

• Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Unlike the previous film where I feel something different worked ("Goodnight, goodnight, sleep well my dear"), this time it was just painful I agree.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Sometimes it looked fake.
    Sometimes it looks plain horrible like the end of FRWL. When Connery's hand disappear off the screen, the entire shot IS back projection.

Unlike the previous film where I feel something different worked ("Goodnight, goodnight, sleep well my dear"), this time it was just painful I agree.
    Hmm... I don't know, I think I'd take TSWLM ending to be honest. The campy naval track just seemed to work for me more after Roger's delightfully saucy (and very English) final line.
  • back projection is what they used in older movies prior to green screen. Its when they had an actual seperate film of the required location in the background with the actors saying their lines in a studio. Sometimes it looked fake.

Okay, now I understand how that works. Thanks for the explaination!

Also, does anyone know if the Blu-ray versions of the older Bond movies make the back-projection look any better or worse?

I hated the back-projection in the pre-title ski sequence from TSWLM. I didn't understand why there were bright lights glaring on the close-ups of Moore, but now I know.

Back onto topic...
    Hmm... I don't know, I think I'd take TSWLM ending to be honest. The campy naval track just seemed to work for me more after Roger's delightfully saucy (and very English) final line.

Glad to see a TSWLM fan ! :) Wonderful film. What a great trilogy - TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR !
    @DaltonCraig I LOVE the spy who loved me but i just HATE the singing at the end
    TSWLM is a GREAT Bond film. Frankly I really don't understand the hostility it gets on this site. Anyway, back on topic.
    OHMSS's ending is pretty bad too... Not the death of Tracy of course... but the totally unexpected full-blast honky Bond theme starting a few seconds after !
    I agree with Jazz007 on that one. The Bond theme enforces the idea that Bond is down but not out - I thought it worked.
    Glad to see a TSWLM fan ! :) Wonderful film. What a great trilogy - TMWTGG, TSWLM, MR !

Yes! Great comments! =D>

And all of those films have great endings! Disco rendition of "Moonraker" theme, take us out ! \:D/

• edited May 2011 Posts: 565
    DAD is the worst followed by OHMSS. Didn't Barry orchestrate an alternative ending that fit the mood better? I'll have to check. If so, why in the bleep did they not go with that?

I like the cheesy endings actually, but DAD is just dumb. At least with the others, there's a play on words or something of intelligence. DAD sounds like something two 12 year olds would say to each other. Blarg! They should've just ended it with Moneypenny...haha!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    Well, it will be a tight race, but GE, DAD, MR, AVTAK, and TWINE #-O are all on the shortlist, as is TMWTGG... In my book, TWINE's bad Christmas punchline (which even is worse in German, because it does not work at all) finishes just above AVTAK with its cheesy shower scene dialogue "Oh, I dropped the soap" - "That is not the soap!"... :-t
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    And, yes, TSWLM's ending is also cringeworthy... Actually a lot of them endiings are like that... And honestly, apart from CR and QOS since OHMSS (or DAF apart from Tiffany's final line) the ending scenes got more and more weird...
  • The ending of QOS was a little forced for my liking. The only thing, that connected it to the overall story was that thin Vesper plot they should have gotten rid off. They bough the 'Vesper Boyfriend' to the table at the beginning, and then just revisited it at the end to tie that loose end. Since I have never taken the Bond films too seriously, I have enjoyed the Roger Moore films, since what kept them going for me were the quips, but I must admit, that alot of them were cringeworthy, especially TMWTGG. DAD was not the most awfull, but I agree with you guys on the TWINE christmas pun and the cheap comedy at the end. TMWTGG is my pick, this film had too many cheap laughts thrown in, this atmosphere hits an unbearable limit at the end.
    TMWTGG is my pick, this film had too many cheap laughts thrown in, this atmosphere hits an unbearable limit at the end.

[-( A Moore film unbearable ? Please, the more hilarious, the more fun and entertaining they are ! Damn, I'm going to watch a Moore flick tonight !
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    TMWTGG is my pick, this film had too many cheap laughts thrown in, this atmosphere hits an unbearable limit at the end.

[-( A Moore film unbearable ? Please, the more hilarious, the more fun and entertaining they are ! Damn, I'm going to watch a Moore flick tonight !
    The ending of TMWTGG is very silly but I cannot say that I have ever found that ending nor any entire Roger Moore Bond film "unbearable" either. I certainly have my lesser favorite Moore 007 movies; but "unbearable"? No.

Now, have I found other Bond movies unbearable? Yes: specifically a couple of Bond movies made during a certain era. . . . . . .

http://screenmusings.org/TheWorldIsNotEnough/pages/TWinE_0752.htm
    http://screenmusings.org/TheWorldIsNotEnough/pages/TWinE_0253.htm
    I'd still quite happily take TWINE over TMWTGG anyday - and I only watched GG a couple of days ago. For me the Sheriff Pepper stuff and the genuinely uneven tone undermines what could have been a much better film. With the TWINE stuff at the end I always thought - "it's merely a Roger Moore style ending". Knowingly silly.
    IFor me the Sheriff Pepper stuff undermines what could have been a much better film.

What a load of rubbish. :-)) J.W. Pepper is the best character in the franchise other than Bond ! And by Bond I mean Roger Moore !! :-bd
    IFor me the Sheriff Pepper stuff undermines what could have been a much better film.

What a load of rubbish. :-)) J.W. Pepper is the best character in the franchise other than Bond ! And by Bond I mean Roger Moore !! :-bd
    Hmm... Red Grant, Godfinger, Oddjob, Klebb, Valentin Zakovski, Scaramanga, Sanchez, Irma Bunt etc...

Hmm... Red Grant, Godfinger, Oddjob, Klebb, Valentin Zakovski, Scaramanga, Sanchez, Irma Bunt etc...
    None are as memorable, entertaining and hilarious characters as J W Pepper... Try again... :-)) And great attempt at putting a Brosnan era character in the same league as a Moore era character... :-))
    Dr Kaulfman, Dr No, Henderson, Jaws, Xenya Onatopp, Mayday, Tee Hee, Drax?
    You will not stop my love for TMWTGG, JW Pepper and Roger Moore !! Although Tee Hee, Drax and Jaws are great... Why, because they are in the Moore era !!