"Beg your pardon, forgot to knock" - What do you think of Brosnan's GE intro?

2»

Comments

• What baffles me most is Campbell's hate of toilet paper... There is none in the GE toilet and the CR toilet...
    :-))

Perhaps Babs doesn't like toilet paper. Something smells, I'd say. ;;)
    Lol, maybe either she or MC have a secret fetish for toilets as both films pretty much begin in them :p

I know it's a joke but you're talking about two of the six films she's produced...I know a lot of Babs bashing goes on here (why, I don't know) but to include her in this joke about the two films MC directed seems strange...

• edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    What baffles me most is Campbell's hate of toilet paper... There is none in the GE toilet and the CR toilet...
    :-))

Perhaps Babs doesn't like toilet paper. Something smells, I'd say. ;;)
    Lol, maybe either she or MC have a secret fetish for toilets as both films pretty much begin in them :p

I know it's a joke but you're talking about two of the six films she's produced...I know a lot of Babs bashing goes on here (why, I don't know) but to include her in this joke about the two films MC directed seems strange...

It was only meant to be a joke, I probably should have just said Martin Campbell (I love both of his films btw).
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I don't mean to go off topic - yes, I loved Brosnan's GE intro - but it is funny how Fleming created Bond as someone who smokes, and then Brosnan's TND intro calls smoking a 'filthy habit'. Out of them all, GE's intro is my favorite. TND was a quite action packed one, TWINE was really entertaining, and DAD did nothing for me.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I don't think Dalton would have even liked doing that tbh. It's like the whole "bon appetit" line in LTK - it didn't work coming from Tim. If you're going to do a lighter line the actor needs to sound like he's enjoying it.
    I see so problem with that line. They scaled back most of the humour, what humour they left Dalton handled it just fine.

WOW good idea about the 'kicking in the door' instead of being upside down in the stall- now that I think about it, that would have been infinitely cooler!!
    It was a cool enough intro to the new actor, but I believe George Lazenby himself brought up a good point (from their initial feud...) everytime we saw Bond up until that point, it wasn't even Brosnan! That does kind of suck... I mean obviously, he couldn't have done the bungee jump, but maybe it would have been better to show his face once, right before the jump maybe- that would have been pretty dramatic
    WOW good idea about the 'kicking in the door' instead of being upside down in the stall- now that I think about it, that would have been infinitely cooler!!
    It was a cool enough intro to the new actor, but I believe George Lazenby himself brought up a good point (from their initial feud...) everytime we saw Bond up until that point, it wasn't even Brosnan! That does kind of suck... I mean obviously, he couldn't have done the bungee jump, but maybe it would have been better to show his face once, right before the jump maybe- that would have been pretty dramatic
    I agree with showing his face just once. I recall reading a long while ago that Brosnan refused to show up to film that scene, or that he was too busy: is this true? I know he got in an accident and his arm was in a cast, so scenes like him pulling the brake in the BMW or him shooting the laser gun at the vent in the beginning of the film were actually his son's hands, not his. But was there a certain reason he didn't do the running scene or anything in the beginning?
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 5,767
    ... everytime we saw Bond up until that point, it wasn't even Brosnan! That does kind of suck... I mean obviously, he couldn't have done the bungee jump, but maybe it would have been better to show his face once, right before the jump maybe- that would have been pretty dramatic
    I agree with showing his face just once. I recall reading a long while ago that Brosnan refused to show up to film that scene, or that he was too busy: is this true? I know he got in an accident and his arm was in a cast, so scenes like him pulling the brake in the BMW or him shooting the laser gun at the vent in the beginning of the film were actually his son's hands, not his. But was there a certain reason he didn't do the running scene or anything in the beginning?
    I think Campbell deliberately went for the approach of showing Bond´s face as late as possible, kind of like it was done in OHMSS or DAF. Now that I think of it, it would have been cooler if the "Beg your pardon..." bit would have been before the bungee jump. On the UE there is a scene that wasn´t used where Bond´s shadow is seen sneaking around a guard shed before entering the dam. There Bond could have come in from the ceiling, and then he could have jumped from the dam, and then of course we would have had some shots of his face on the dam. Yes, I think I like that better.
    I don't think Dalton would have even liked doing that tbh. It's like the whole "bon appetit" line in LTK - it didn't work coming from Tim. If you're going to do a lighter line the actor needs to sound like he's enjoying it.
    I think Dalton´s lines worked just fine. What didn´t work so much was the bar fight in LTK, but that had nothing to do with the lines.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    It was a cool enough intro to the new actor, but I believe George Lazenby himself brought up a good point (from their initial feud...) everytime we saw Bond up until that point, it wasn't even Brosnan!
    Excellent point from Lazenby. OHMSS's intro for him was infinitely superior to Brosnan's in GE.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    We saw what were quite clearly Brosnans eyes as he lazered that wall thing. Laz wasn't quite right there.

In regard to Dalton's humour I think it worked at times - esp when his lines were darker ("you should have brought lillies") - but not quite with others ("he got the boot"). I remember reading that Dalton was never comfortable with the one-liners.
    I absolutely loved Brosnan's first line! I loved it when he just appeared out of nowhere and did that goofy grin at the soldier on the toilet! Hilarious scene!
    Yeah, the scene from the novel (the one boldfinger listed) would have been a nice intro to the film. But in the end, I prefer his entrance being a mystery after that huge bungee jump.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 3,494
    that "Beg your pardon. Forgot to knock." line is all Brosnan.
    I could actually imagine Dalton delivering that line, but not so much hanging from the ceiling. More like, kicking in the cubicle door, thus knocking out the guard, then saying it ;-) . .

Damn Boldfinger that sounds pretty awesome. Would I'd give to have seen that.
    That would be righteous and pure Dalton. One third of my "holy trinity" of the best Bonds to date. I salute you on this one Boldfinger! Ditto that Double Ohhh.
    I don't think Dalton could have delivered that line with quite the same level of smug relish Brozza did. Hence it wouldnt have been quite as fun IMO.
    The ever wise PKK has it right, as do you Bain. It was pure Brosnan and Dalton wouldn't have pulled that one off as well as Pierce did.
    What baffles me most is Campbell's hate of toilet paper... There is none in the GE toilet and the CR toilet...
    :-)) Good eye!
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    :-)) Good eye!
    I bet both Brosnan and Craig were so stressed over their first scenes as Bond, they used up all the toilet paper on the set themselves. Budget never allowed extra rolls.

@DarthDimi: :-)) Hahahaha! That last comment made me laugh!
    Wouldve felt more raw had Dalton done it.....it kinda feels a tad forced with Brosnan.
    Things do feel raw with Dalton, but things like Dalton's first 'Bond, James Bond.' introduction at the beginning of TLD felt very forced.
  • edited August 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Things do feel raw with Dalton, but things like Dalton's first 'Bond, James Bond.' introduction at the beginning of TLD felt very forced.
    THANK YOU!!! :)

It's was cheesy but rememberable entrance for him. It's as iconic as, say Dalton's entrance into the series. Although Dalton's was more heart bounding. The whole thing with the truck. But the whole pts for Goldeneye is still one of the best.

And I don't mind some toilet humor here and there.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    It was rather crappy.