"Beg your pardon, forgot to knock" - What do you think of Brosnan's GE intro?

edited August 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 11,189
I've noticed that this intro seems to divide people. What do you think of it?

Personally I've never had an issue with it and actually find it rather funny. It's the sort of thing I can see the smug James Bond saying.

Comments

• I don't mind it either, it imediately shows us that we're not watching Timothy Dalton in the role anymore, and shows us that we've got a more humourous and exciting Bond (Well this is what i feel). It sets up Brosnan's Bond in one line
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I love this intro, although I have a hard time believing the soldier wouldn't notice someone sneaking in from above him. Brosnan delivered the line very well though and it's a great way to reveal Bond after all those years because it happens with a joke right after a spectacular stunt!
    Excellent entrance.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Brosnan's entrance in a toilet... good ridance, some would say... Nah, I thought it was quite a good intro.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    That line tells us the the films are heading right down the toilet.

We weren't watching Dalton, you got that right. The start of the series creatively barren era had began. Beg your pardon, I thought this was a Bond film.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I loved it. Was quite funny.
    Beg your pardon, I thought this was a Bond film.
    Bond films are always meant to be fun. I thought that line was fun ;)
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 7,570
    I'm no Brozzer fan as such but the PTS of GE and Brosnan's contribution to it were very good.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,350
    It's fantastic though why after all the great build-up Bond is first seen hanging upside-down delivering a silly one-liner in a toilet to a soldier taking a dump is beyond me. Surely EON could've thought of something better and more memorable for Brosnan's entrance?
  • Toilet humor aside (for the moment), I thought the line was just fine. Didn't make me groan like other lines he would have to say throughout his tenure. There's nothing wrong at all with a little bit of lighthearted fun in a Bond movie, and I always look forward to getting some with each film. It's gags I don't want.

Where this PTS did become totally worthy of the crapper is the moment Bond shoots his way out of the inside of Arkangel. I felt bad for Brosnan as he didn't really do anything wrong up to that point.
    I thought they could've thought of something better. Honestly I liked his intro in TND much more.
    I thought they could've thought of something better. Honestly I liked his intro in TND much more.
    I didn't. Played well, agreed, but Bond's anti-smoking campaign in the PC nineties left me with nothing short of unintentionally strong anti-Fleming suspicions on behalf of the producers.
    It's fantastic though why after all the great build-up Bond is first seen hanging upside-down delivering a silly one-liner in a toilet to a soldier taking a dump is beyond me. Surely EON could've thought of something better and more memorable for Brosnan's entrance?
    The purpose of this thread was to see If people have a problem with that particular line. I think we can all agree that the bungee jump was fantastic.
    Either way Brosnan's intros are both pretty weak for me. Niether can ever hold a candle to Sean Connery's classic introduction in Docter No.
  • I thought that the bungee jump was a great introduction, much like Dalton's intro in TLD where we don't get to see his face at first. However, in TLD we get a great reveal of Dalton crouched on the rocks, hair blowing in the wind, every sense alert at the first indication of trouble.

With Brosnan, we get him making a lame joke at the world's most unobservant soldier while he's taking a dump.

I admit that while I don't care for that scene it is a good way of introducing the Brosnan era, at least in that it shows the tone. I must say though that Brosnan feels a little more like Remington Steele than Bond when he delivers that line, a problem that he had in a few scenes in GE in my humble opinion.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    That line tells us the the films are heading right down the toilet.

We weren't watching Dalton, you got that right. The start of the series creatively barren era had began. Beg your pardon, I thought this was a Bond film.
    I didn't. Played well, agreed, but Bond's anti-smoking campaign in the PC nineties left me with nothing short of unintentionally strong anti-Fleming suspicions on behalf of the producers.
    I tend to agree with all 3 of you. As impressive as the bungee jump and Cold War-era atmosphere are in GE's PTS, I do like Brosnan's reveal better in TND but definitely don't care for the PC anti-smoking quip(doubly hypocritical considering the fact that Brosnan was on the cover of Cigar Aficionado magazine around that time. That's part of the reason I like DAD more than most around here do where Brosnan is at his least PC). I miss Dalton in GE but that "Beg your pardon. Forgot to knock." line is all Brosnan.
  • LudsLuds MIA
    I don't have an issue with the way he's introduced, coming down the ceiling and all, never bothered me. I had played the GE game prior to seeing the movie so it was well expected.

In retrospect, it's pretty funny Brosnan was introduced in the crapper ;)
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 5,767
    It's the sort of thing I can see the smug James Bond saying.
    The line any day, the situation not so much.
    I don't mind it either, it imediately shows us that we're not watching Timothy Dalton in the role anymore, and shows us that we've got a more humourous and exciting Bond (Well this is what i feel). It sets up Brosnan's Bond in one line
    I love this intro, although I have a hard time believing the soldier wouldn't notice someone sneaking in from above him. Brosnan delivered the line very well though and it's a great way to reveal Bond after all those years because it happens with a joke right after a spectacular stunt!
    Very much my thoughts too.
    I must say though that Brosnan feels a little more like Remington Steele than Bond when he delivers that line, a problem that he had in a few scenes in GE in my humble opinion.
    IMHO Brosnan should have stayed more with being like Remington Steele, then he could have built up something charismatic as Moore´s Bond. He sometimes seemed to get in over his head when he decided to be that ruthless cold man he truly isn´t.

Also, recently I feel that Brosnan is the only Bond (among those who did more than one film) who doesn´t really sound distinctively British. That´s also one of the reasons I ike that line, because it sounds more British than American.

• edited July 2011 Posts: 5,767
    that "Beg your pardon. Forgot to knock." line is all Brosnan.
    I could actually imagine Dalton delivering that line, but not so much hanging from the ceiling. More like, kicking in the cubicle door, thus knocking out the guard, then saying it ;-) .

Sorry I think I double-posted :"> .
    I liked his enterance.But i like Brosnan as bond.i wonder what luds thinks about that :)
    that "Beg your pardon. Forgot to knock." line is all Brosnan.
    I could actually imagine Dalton delivering that line, but not so much hanging from the ceiling. More like, kicking in the cubicle door, thus knocking out the guard, then saying it ;-) .

Sorry I think I double-posted :"> .
    Damn Boldfinger that sounds pretty awesome. Would I'd give to have seen that.
    I don't think Dalton could have delivered that line with quite the same level of smug relish Brozza did. Hence it wouldnt have been quite as fun IMO.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Well Dalton never really did the whole smug thing that Brosnan (over)did. Though I can picture in my mind, Dalton doing something along the lines of what boldfinger wrote.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I don't think Dalton would have even liked doing that tbh. It's like the whole "bon appetit" line in LTK - it didn't work coming from Tim. If you're going to do a lighter line the actor needs to sound like he's enjoying it.
    Rog gets the most underwelming intro with a shot of him in bed with Ms Caruso while the front door buzzes. But Brozzers sets the tone for his tenure - fey with a whiff of smugness about it.

If you like smug Bond fair enough - I always Rog got the right balance of wit without resortig to smug. But Brozzer...

Smug from the off.
    I think MR was easily Moore at his most smug. The frequent smirking and the virtual winks at the camera - not that it bothered me that much though.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    It always baffled me as to why the solider on the toilet didn't notice Bond coming down through the roof.
    A surprise drop in from the ventilation hole would've been better, or not use the toilet at all. Pretty crap idea really. Yeah I went there.
    To be honest though the entire GE pts is the highlight of the film almost. From the dam bungee jump to the working with Alec on a mission. The squeaky wheel of the chemical trolley and all the guards with guns trained on Bond in an impossible escape scenario. Even the overly insane plane catch is just and just acceptable. For this is Bond...James Bond, and after a six year absence we'll forgive a few flaws, and over the top shenanigans. Welcome back OO7.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690
    What baffles me most is Campbell's hate of toilet paper... There is none in the GE toilet and the CR toilet...
    What baffles me most is Campbell's hate of toilet paper... There is none in the GE toilet and the CR toilet...
    :-))

Perhaps Babs doesn't like toilet paper. Something smells, I'd say. ;;)
    :-))

Perhaps Babs doesn't like toilet paper. Something smells, I'd say. ;;)
    Lol, maybe either she or MC have a secret fetish for toilets as both films pretty much begin in them :p