NAME THAT LITERARY CHARACTER FROM IAN FLEMING's JAMES BOND NOVELS

Comments

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited April 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Name the character and the book. I fear this one will be like shooting fish in a barrel.

"Unconsciously his mouth pursed and a clear note was emitted. He uttered an impatient 'tchah!' and continued with his reading."

M to the file on Scaramanga in TMWTGG, testing the hypothesis that homosexuals can't whistle (the reader may like to experiment here to test this theory).
    Name the character and the book. I fear this one will be like shooting fish in a barrel.

"Unconsciously his mouth pursed and a clear note was emitted. He uttered an impatient 'tchah!' and continued with his reading."

M to the file on Scaramanga in TMWTGG, testing the hypothesis that homosexuals can't whistle (the reader may like to experiment here to test this theory).

I am sure the great @TheWizardOflce is correct and this reader is delighted to report that he can whistle Dixie from dawn to dusk!
    Unfortunately, somebody will have to take over the thread scoring. Villiers53 mailed me yesterday and I'm afraid somebody's cut the old boy off in his prime. He claims that ex Stasi agents have infiltrated the MOD community and that they signalled him out for cyber assassination.
    Evidently the murderous individual they sent to carry out the deed "looked like a very sunburned female warder. She had a square brutal face with hard yellow eyes." Although he managed to see off her vitriolic verbal assaults, she seduced one of the guardians into cutting him off.
    Of course, there are those that considered his views too strident but many of us will miss his informed opinion and good humour.
    We wish him well with his future career. Evidently, although he's looking to do something with Jeremy Clarkson, he has reassured me that not only can he whistle but that his platonic love for the real Hetrosexual 007 remains unabated. I've promised him that I will pass on his comments from time to time but, as you will understand,they will have to be heavily censored.

• MrcogginsMrcoggins Following in the footsteps of Quentin Quigley.
    Bentley wrote: »

I am sure the great @TheWizardOflce is correct and this reader is delighted to report that he can whistle Dixie from dawn to dusk!
    Unfortunately, somebody will have to take over the thread scoring. Villiers53 mailed me yesterday and I'm afraid somebody's cut the old boy off in his prime. He claims that ex Stasi agents have infiltrated the MOD community and that they signalled him out for cyber assassination.
    Evidently the murderous individual they sent to carry out the deed "looked like a very sunburned female warder. She had a square brutal face with hard yellow eyes." Although he managed to see off her vitriolic verbal assaults, she seduced one of the guardians into cutting him off.
    Of course, there are those that considered his views too strident but many of us will miss his informed opinion and good humour.
    We wish him well with his future career. Evidently, although he's looking to do something with Jeremy Clarkson, he has reassured me that not only can he whistle but that his platonic love for the real Hetrosexual 007 remains unabated. I've promised him that I will pass on his comments from time to time but, as you will understand,they will have to be heavily censored.

APRIL FOOL dear boy .
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Mrcoggins wrote: »

APRIL FOOL dear boy .
    That toadlike figure seducing anybody was the dead giveaway.

Correct, old boy. Now it's your turn at the wheel.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited April 2015 Posts: 28,694

Case of multiple personality disorder there, @Bentley? Or is that Villiers? I'm a little confused. Thankfully the mods aren't, and you'll be out of here for good momentarily.
    Me neither. And that's probably a good thing.
    Right, back to @TheWizardOfIce
    'Q will put you on to the best man and fix a date'
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    M to Bond in License to Kill, as he explains why Bond needs to go to Leiter's wedding and put up with Della's overly fond welcome.

(I couldn't resist. Okay, leaving now ...) :)>-
    M to Bond in License to Kill, as he explains why Bond needs to go to Leiter's wedding and put up with Della's overly fond welcome.

(I couldn't resist. Okay, leaving now ...) :)>-
    yellow-cab.jpg
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    :)
    Me neither. And that's probably a good thing.

You don't know, how right you are

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Is that M to Bond in YOLT when telling him to meet up with Henderson?

Correct characters (which I don't think will come as a shock to anyone) but narrowing down the situation may prove to be more tricky.

If it's any consolation I doubt I would have got this myself so you're in exemplary company.
    ok, let's see what I can remember. Bond is summoned to M's office who's been talking to sir... Malony I think it is who tells him to go easy on Bond. He thinks he's going to get the sack but then is 'promoted' to diplomatic envoy or the likes. But I can't remember if he's then already instructed to go there to meet the Australian Henderson or if this info comes later. I think it's later. By phone, i think. But i can't remember when or where.
    perhaps @PK knows...
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I don't get it at all.

@Villiers53 and @Bentley are the same person - see the post above by @Bentley.

I think that is M to Bond on getting his hand scar covered with a skin graft in LALD.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 9,117
    Dragonpol wrote: »

I think that is M to Bond on getting his hand scar covered with a skin graft in LALD.

Sterling work Sir. One of the very few mentions of Q (rather than Boothroyd) n the novels. In fact it might well be the only one - can anyone confirm any others? I've got a feeling there might be a mention of Q rather than Q Branch in TB. Actually even in the above quote is M referring to a person or just the department?

I said correct characters not correct novel @CommanderRoss so you were barking up the wrong tree with YOLT I'm afraid.
  • Campbell2Campbell2 Epsilon Rho Rho house, Bending State University

Sterling work Sir. One of the very few mentions of Q (rather than Boothroyd) n the novels. In fact it might well be the only one - can anyone confirm any others? I've got a feeling there might be a mention of Q rather than Q Branch in TB. Actually even in the above quote is M referring to a person or just the department?

Department I think. I thought I remember Q also making travel arrangements for Bond in one novel. FRWL?
    edited April 2015 Posts: 17,730
    Campbell2 wrote: »

Department I think. I thought I remember Q also making travel arrangements for Bond in one novel. FRWL?

Yes, he is mentioned in some of the other novels too. I meant to write an article on this years ago. I personally think M would refer to Q Branch rather than Q for Quartermaster if that was what he really meant but of course it's a debatable point.

I'll get a new quote up soon.
    edited April 2015 Posts: 17,730
    Who said this and to whom and in which Fleming work was it said?:

"All men are pigs, but some are lesser pigs than others."

George Orwell in Animal Farm?
  • edited April 2015 Posts: 2,483

Would that have been Lisl to Bond in Risico?

JCRendle wrote: »

George Orwell in Animal Farm?

No, though I've noted that in my written-over edition of FYEO.

Would that have been Lisl to Bond in Risico?

Correct, but can I have Lisl's full name?
    Lisl Baum?
    Lisl Baum?

Correct! Your turn next, Khanners!
    To be a lesser pig. A high compliment indeed. :)
    May I make a suggestion? Quoting lines from the book is easy for us of whom know the books well. We can recognise the passages. How about we take a leaf from the film character thread and describe a novel character without directly quoting Fleming. Giving clues to the character etc.