Craig never liked Connery or Brosnan...

edited July 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 251
Well, this is pretty suprising! I`ve never heard any other Bond actor actively say something like this before.
It`s honest, but I wouldn`t have thought EON would be to happy about it. What do you guys think?http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/07/21/cowboys-and-aliens-harrison-ford-daniel-craig-this-weeks-cover/

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    So how seriously do we need to take this? Even if Craig is trying to be the 'bad boy', I still think we need to take this with a pinch of salt. I have trouble believing that he'd honestly be willing to slam the legendary Connery Bond...
  • LudsLuds MIA
    Not liking Brosnan is quite normal, but Connery? Damn! ;)
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Well none of the 6 Bond actors are Bond fans... so it's not surprising.
    So how seriously do we need to take this? Even if Craig is trying to be the 'bad boy', I still think we need to take this with a pinch of salt. I have trouble believing that he'd honestly be willing to slam the legendary Connery Bond...
    Read it and weep. He did.

Not liking Brosnan is quite normal, but Connery? Damn! ;)
    For you and some others!
    Next thing, Craig will be telling us he drew inspiration from Roger Moore!

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,692
    Craig is telling us a cold hard fact : No Bond actors care for the franchise apart from the outings they've made. Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. Dimi - this is reality, sorry. No Bond care for the franchise, no Bond watch an outing on a regular basis, none of them are even Bond fans ! The closest we have of someone caring for the franchise is Moore. Connery hates all of them... Moore is probably the only on he appreciates. Lazenby doesn't give a damn about all his successors.
    Craig is telling us a cold hard fact : No Bond actors care for the franchise apart from the outings they've made. Honestly, it doesn't surprise me. Dimi - this is reality, sorry. No Bond care for the franchise, no Bond watch an outing on a regular basis, none of them are even Bond fans ! The closest we have of someone caring for the franchise is Moore.
    Not true. Brosnan has gone on record many times stating his love of Connerys incarnation, and Rogers. Also gave out a lot of respect to Dalton at one point, I recall.
    I think this is bad form from Craig. You have to be carefull not to alienate certain Bond fans.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Read it and weep. He did.

I never liked Sean Connery or Pierce Brosnan much,” he muttered, almost under his breath
    All I'm saying is that he might not be serious. There's no indication from this one hasty quote that Craig actually lashed out at the other two. When you check out a few behind-the-scenes or making-of's, you'll find that actors and actresses sometimes joke about this kind of stuff. It might be a little presumptuous to detect hard-headed contempt for Sean Connery from just one little phrase spoken in the heat of the moment. It's not like he wrote it in the first chapter of his biography...
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Funny, because I've seen and heard Craig praise Connery in the past. As for Brosnan, Brosnan out of all the actors was a fanboyof the series until he left.
  • Nah he's having a laugh. He loves FRWL and he wants SC's child. As for PB leave the fella alone. Brought Bond back on the scene with huge success.

By the way the Indian cricket captain is one ugly (insert Predator quote here).
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited July 2011 Posts: 28,694
    The words are absolute crap, and I don't believe it for a second. Also considering it comes from the rag that is Entertainment Weekly.

Watch these videos if you want the real truth:

Watch from 3:40-4:06:

Then watch 2:03-2:34:

In these bits of interviews, does Dan seem to dislike Connery/Connery's Bond? I think not.
    http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/1740-SEAN-CONNERY-SPEAKS-ABOUT-JAMES-BOND;-ADMIRES-DANIEL-CRAIG,-WOULD-PLAY-VILLAIN.html
    Sean Connery has most likely never seen an outing made after DAF. Sir Sean simply hasn't been interested in the franchise since he left, if only to demand royalties for every film made without him. I also doubt Lazenby has seen any outing made after OHMSS apart from showing up at DAD's premiere.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I don't believe these words to be honest. It's very possible Craig disliked DAD but I heard he spoke to Pierce at the 2005 Bafta's before beginning Royale.
    http://www.cinemaretro.com/index.php?/archives/1740-SEAN-CONNERY-SPEAKS-ABOUT-JAMES-BOND;-ADMIRES-DANIEL-CRAIG,-WOULD-PLAY-VILLAIN.html
    Sean Connery has most likely never seen an outing made after DAF. Sir Sean simply hasn't been interested in the franchise since he left, if only to demand royalties for every film made without him. I also doubt Lazenby has seen any outing made after OHMSS apart from showing up at DAD's premiere.
    I don't think that's true either. In 2006 (I think) Sean said this about his successors:

Roger and I saw the character in different ways, with me I started with the serious and injected the humour. Timothy Dalton has Shakespearean training, but he underestimated the role. The character has to be graceful and move well and have a certain measure of charm as well as be dangerous. Pierce Brosnan’s a good actor. He’s added some new elements to it.

For me, it’s (Roger Moore's approach) too flippant in the sense of humour. In For Your Eyes Only, they spoiled a lot of very good sequences for the sake of a couple of very cheap jokes. In the beginning there’s a great sequence with Roger going around in a helicopter being remote-controlled by Blofeld. But then to throw it away with a pay-off like picking up Blofeld and dropping him down a chimney gets a cheap laugh – and credibility goes out the window. That’s the direction it’s gone in – one that I don’t appreciate.

Read more: The Icon - Sean Connery | TotalFilm.com
    Fair enough BAIN123, but none of them can be considered Bond fans. Casual fans, maybe.
    They don't have to be Bond fans - they STARRED in the damn things :p
    They don't have to be Bond fans - they STARRED in the damn things :p
    I know. What I meant is that they don't watch the films on a regular basis and what not... ;-) Honestly if one day I meet Connery in the street, I would never talk about Bond, or I would get a good slapping !!
    I suspect Connery's had enough of Bond and will only talk about it if they give him a big fat cheque.
    Dont believe them when they say they havent seen each others films.

Like Tom Baker with Doctor Who who pretends he hasnt seen his successors to avoid awkward questions. He also pretends not to rememeber his own stories to save fans pinning him down on details.

But they see each others. Pierce, Dan and Tim all saw them while growing up. Pierce was caught by snappers leaving with his kids from a showing of QoS. Moore has commented on CR and Craig showering nothing but praise. And Lazs' comments on Brozzer shows he has certainly seen that era.

Often to avoid awkward quotes with the press they pretend ignorance, but eventually they all see them.

I suspect it was flippancy on Dans part with his comment. But in print it can be taken out of context.
  • Its impossible to tell in which context he said it...he could have been joking. Unless you read the actual article, its impossible to know.
    Pierce, Dan and Tim all saw them while growing up.
    I say rubbish to that. I don't buy for one second that Craig and Dalton went to see every new outing that came out in cinemas. Pierce maybe, as he saw GF as a kid. But this sounds like highly naive wishful thinking that the would-be-Bond actors were addicted to Bond when they were growing up.

The only one that I heard of watching Bond films in his younger days was John Cleese. He said so in videos of Everything or Nothing.
    Well, I remember Craig saying Live and Let Die was the first one he saw with his dad and Dalton says he saw FRWL as a teen.

These things were huge in the sixties and seventies -everyone went and saw them. If not you would have caught them on TV at one point in your life.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited July 2011 Posts: 13,894
    If he did in fact say this, and he meant it in jest, then I would hope that he isn't naive enough to not see how his comments in print can be taken the wrong way. Craig of all people should be aware of this by now.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 886
    I think when things are in magazine interviews many things are lost in translation...humour being one of them. We have no idea that Craig didn't mention it sarcastically as is the UK way...maybe the interviewer just didn't get it...
    I err on the side of misunderstanding here and even if he DID mean it seriously, hate to say it, but so what? That's his opinion. He doesn't have to be a golden boy puppet for any franchise or studio really. Not at this point.
    Craig does interview harder in magazines than on TV, his language is unchecked and is far more raw. In my mind, far more the "real" Craig. No B.S., no small talk.
    If he did in fact say this, and he meant it in jest, then I would hope that he isn't naive enough to not see how his comments in print can be taken the wrong way. Craig of all people should be aware of this by now.
    I concur.
    Well, however you guys want to see it, it`s his choice of words. Not the wisest choice in my opinion. Not liking Brosnan seems to be accepted here, but not liking Connery?
    People are uncomfortable with that idea, as proven by your comments......
    Imagine if Ewan Macgrgor came out and said he didn`t like the way Alec Guinness portrayed Obi Wan Kenobi... he would be cut to shreds! (not that I am a Star Wars fan)
    "Moore has commented on CR and Craig showering nothing but praise."

However he wasn't so praisful of Craig's second outing.

http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index.php?itemid=7432&t=mi6&s=ltk
    I'm pretty sure Moore and Dalton will be at the premiere of B23 for the 50's anniversary. Lazenby could pop up like he did for DAD. Connery is a no-go, Brosnan... doubt it. So we may get 4 Bond's together at the premiere.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    i personally dont care if Craig likes them, loves them, or hates them....

it's his opinion, and I don't think attempting to bastardize him for it is called for. He grew up a fan of the Bond films, but didn't care for Connery or Brosnan's outings... big deal.... it's not like he's attacking them as people...... the only people who would care (Connery and Brosnan) probably don't care what Craig has to say - because at the end of the day, it's only 1 man's opinion... the whole fabric of the franchise isn't going to disintegrate because the current Bond actor didn't like Connery......

what's next? - do we nail him to a cross?
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 886
    I'm pretty sure that Craig doesn't lose sleep over what he says..what he says he means..strikes me as a no nonsense fellow. However, we still have no idea in what "tone" in which that remark was made.
    So it's all hypothetical and certainly does not alter my opinions of his role as Bond or diminsh my views on Connery or Brosnan.
    I do remember that Craig met with Brozzer before and after he landed the Bond role and mentioned that a few times and was gracious about their meetings.
    What I do hope, however, is that Craig does not get ahead of himself and his fame and starts to believe that he is invincible with his fame and talent and now feels he can make these type of comments willy nilly.
    Again, I err on the pinch of salt side.
    haserot... I don't care if Craig hates my favorite Bond (Moore)... Just because Daniel Craig has portrayed Bond doesn't mean I'll loose sleep over him hating Connery or Moore... He's a human being like the rest of us... Craig could say MR is utter crap and I would still sleep like a baby...