BRING BACK BOND THE CONNOISSEUR

2»

Comments

If one considers the DC series a reboot, Bond is continually evolving. One doesn't become a connoisseur major at university. I suspect that occurs over time. It wouldn't be out of place for his knowledge to have grown considerably by the time SP rolls around.
  • RC7RC7
    CrabKey wrote: »
    If one considers the DC series a reboot, Bond is continually evolving. One doesn't become a connoisseur major at university. I suspect that occurs over time. It wouldn't be out of place for his knowledge to have grown considerably by the time SP rolls around.

What's quite frustrating is that it feels to me like there's a missing film between QoS and SF. He's the cocksure Bond we know and love right at the beginning of SF and then he spirals downwards. It feels like there's a good old fashioned romp that we missed out on in 2010, where he'd have been indulging in the finer things and blowing away bad guys for fun.
    RC7 wrote: »

What's quite frustrating is that it feels to me like there's a missing film between QoS and SF. He's the cocksure Bond we know and love right at the beginning of SF and then he spirals downwards. It feels like there's a good old fashioned romp that we missed out on in 2010, where he'd have been indulging in the finer things and blowing away bad guys for fun.

I do feel the same sometimes. I would love to read a book about those missing years/missions. Instead of writing continuation novels that are at best nothing more than glorified fanfics, someone should write some "extended universe" stories based on the Bond movies (and the current continuity).

Okay, I am currently off topic. Anybody else than me would love to have a Bond recipe books?

Doesn't 007 Legends fill that void?
  • JCRendle wrote: »

Maybe Bloodstone too, although that ends on a weird CR-esque cliffhanger that they never followed up on.
  • RC7RC7
    JCRendle wrote: »

Maybe Bloodstone too, although that ends on a weird CR-esque cliffhanger that they never followed up on.

I assume neither of you are actually being serious.
  • Ludovico wrote: »

I do feel the same sometimes. I would love to read a book about those missing years/missions. Instead of writing continuation novels that are at best nothing more than glorified fanfics, someone should write some "extended universe" stories based on the Bond movies (and the current continuity).

Okay, I am currently off topic. Anybody else than me would love to have a Bond recipe books?

I'd be surprised if one didn't already exist. If not, somebody should write such a cookbook. And I do believe there used to be a thread around here exhaustively detailing Bond's food and drink from all of Fleming's oeuvre.

Ludovico wrote: »

I'd be surprised if one didn't already exist. If not, somebody should write such a cookbook. And I do believe there used to be a thread around here exhaustively detailing Bond's food and drink from all of Fleming's oeuvre.

I do think I have heard of one, but maybe it is my imagination.
    Can anyone who has read the script give us a simple yes or no as to whether bond acts the connoisseur in Spectre in any scene.
    Matt007 wrote: »
    Can anyone who has read the script give us a simple yes or no as to whether bond acts the connoisseur in Spectre in any scene.

You need to ask this question in another thread.

Being a bit of a gourmet / amateur cook myself, I intend to write something along the lines of Bondian recipes for main courses and cocktails (at least as they pertain to the films) for my film blog: https://enjoythecrawl.wordpress.com.

ETA: This Summer :)>-
  • All of these published pieces on Bond's tastes just go to show how important aesthetics are to the world of James Bond. And I would argue that this may be even more important for the films than the literature for the simple reason that we add direct visual sense to the mix when we watch films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    All of these published pieces on Bond's tastes just go to show how important aesthetics are to the world of James Bond. And I would argue that this may be even more important for the films than the literature for the simple reason that we add direct visual sense to the mix when we watch films.

Absolutely. Visual and even sonic (in terms of the Barry sound that has nothing to do with the books) are a critical component of the Bond universe that we all know and love. We've got 53 years of movie history and certain fantastic & cutting edge movie only aspects that were quite consistent for some time during this period....so it's a compelling tasteful element on its own irrespective of the books.
    All of these published pieces on Bond's tastes just go to show how important aesthetics are to the world of James Bond. And I would argue that this may be even more important for the films than the literature for the simple reason that we add direct visual sense to the mix when we watch films.

Like I said: have more scenes set in restaurants.
  • bondjames wrote: »

Absolutely. Visual and even sonic (in terms of the Barry sound that has nothing to do with the books) are a critical component of the Bond universe that we all know and love. We've got 53 years of movie history and certain fantastic & cutting edge movie only aspects that were quite consistent for some time during this period....so it's a compelling tasteful element on its own irrespective of the books.

Good point regarding Barry. And I would add that Adele's title track harks back powerfully to the old sound of Barry's Bond world.

I'm all for it. I believe I once posted a thread--here or elsewhere--lamenting the "Death of the Dining Scene." I can think of no good reason why these scenes have almost vanished and many reasons why they should be revived.

• edited February 2015 Posts: 14,824

I'm all for it. I believe I once posted a thread--here or elsewhere--lamenting the "Death of the Dining Scene." I can think of no good reason why these scenes have almost vanished and many reasons why they should be revived.

I am dreaming to see Bond eating a sole meunière with half a caraf of white wine.

One think I love about the Craig era is the return of other drinks than the vodka Martini. You see him drinking red wine with his lamb in CR, whiskey in SF, etc. During the Brosnan tenure, he seemed to have been only drinking Martinis. And not eating anything.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883

I am dreaming to see Bond eating a sole meunière with half a caraf of white wine.

One think I love about the Craig era is the return of other drinks than the vodka Martini. You see him drinking red wine with his lamb in CR, whiskey in SF, etc.

Yes, and Silva made special mention of the whisky in SF which I thought was interesting. I completely agree on a good dining scene. There was some element of this in CR on the train (skewerd lamb) but they focused more on the watches.

However, having just watched Kingsman, I'm afraid that this may have to be toned down now, because that movie sort of caricatured (or homaged) the dining connoisseur thing, Austin Powers style.