Fantastic 4 reboot? Anyone?

Despite the fact that they might have "underachieved" at the box office, I have an affection for the two Fantastic 4 movies. I especially liked "Rise of the Silver Surfer".
I loved the cast from top to bottom.
Don't know if I will partake of the new film.
Anyone?

Comments

• NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I like the Silver Surfer. That's about all I have to say about F4, but I thought it was worthwhile enough to come in here.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Well, I love the first two. I'll see the new one if it's up to the usual Marvel quality, though.
  • The trailer is already out:

So feast yourself on that one ;-).
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Miles Teller seems like he'll be pretty up and coming.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Fantastic Four and Rise of the Silver Surfer were pretty good, in my opinion. The cast of both films was good (in particular, that guy from Nip/Tuck as Doctor Doom), the visual effects were good (past that scene in the first one where Reed's sticking his hand under the door, that just looked painfully bad), the plots weren't (no pun intended here) fantastic, but they were decent enough. They were 100% better than Elektra, no question there.

I would never rank either Fantastic Four film among such films as the Dark Knight Trilogy or the Marvel Cinematic Universe, but they weren't horrible. I could have seen and enjoyed a third film in that series.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    I think the reboot was necessitated by the serious/deeper turn that these comic book films have been taking of late.

The original 2 were just good old fashioned mindless fun - in the original Spider Man movie mold. It looks like Marvel is done with that sort of thing for now, so we're in for the dark brooding serious take this time around, which I think might be better.

I for one will be happy to see the back of Jessica Alba (nice to look at but I personally can't stand it when she opens her mouth - I think she's best just baring herself in limited speaking roles, like in Sin City and Into the Blue).

I'll watch it. Sure.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 2,341
    I wonder how the reboot will approach the character of Dr Doom. Will he be more like the one in the earlier films where he was an asquaintance prior, or will they stick to the comic book approach, showing his origins etc.
    I miss Evans as Johnny already....
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    chrisisall wrote: »

He got a promotion ;)
    bondjames wrote: »

He got a promotion ;)
    And WHAT a promotion.
    B-)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So happy another FF movie is coming out, and the trailer looks promising.

I loved the Tim Story films, only letdown was Dr Doom.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Well now that many of us have gotten a chance to watch the film, how do we feel about it?

In my opinion, all three films (or should I say four? Because I have actually watched four FF live action films...) are somewhat enjoyable but not great. Considering that most FF films were made only because the rights owners would otherwise lose FF back to Marvel, it's no surprise the quality is only what it is.

Still, I have very little faith in FF as a standalone series. They were, in some sense, the prototypical X-Men. But a stretch-dude, a guy on fire, an invisible girl and a block of wood are no match for the cooler and more fleshed out X-Men. I simply think this team isn't sophisticated or interesting enough to carry a movie. Perhaps there could be a crossover with the X-Men (also Fox), although I think tonally there's no match between FF and our current Bryan Singer muties.
    I liked the two with Alba; that's enough for me.
    I liked the two with Alba; that's enough for me.

I agree. I liked the cast so much better in the original films. I thought Silver Surfer was the better film. Maybe it is time to give FF a rest.
  • I'd much rather see them cameo in The Avengers, or something similar.
    I agree they can't really carry their own movie.

I bet if they made a fun one that was a comedy on purpose, it would be way more like able by the general public- but of course it would piss off the comic loyalists. The best Fantastic Four movie is The Incredibles
    I feel that they should have hired Tim Story to make a sequel instead. I was hoping to see the Skrulls in the next one.

I was also hoping for Nexus, and that we got, in a way, with the reboot. But it wasn t handled very well.
    Yeah, I thought Tim did a couple of fine movies there. But that guy who played Johnny- wow does he bear a striking resemblance to the guy playing Captain America! :-O
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 3,564
    I have a copy of the first, Roger Corman produced movie. Can't bear to watch it, it's really pretty lame. The 2 films w/ Jessica Alba as the Invisible Woman and Captain America as the Human Torch are ...okay, but not great. The scripts for both could have been much better. The special effects for these two aren't bad, but a good superhero movie needs more than just special effects to grab an audience. The most recent movie just didn't look or feel right from the previews I saw, so I didn't even bother with it. The FF deserve better...but until the rights revert to Marvel, I'm not expecting much, either from a film or in the comics. It looks like Marvel Comics is putting the FF on hiatus and scattering the various members of the group hither & yon until they get the film rights back. Understandable really: why promote somebody else's "property" (in the film world at least) when they're doing a lousy of job of caring for that property themselves?

The problem is, the FF is one of the lynchpins of the Marvel Universe. Dozens and dozens of great characters emerged from the pages of the World's Greatest Comics Magazine back in the day, and the same could occur in the films if Marvel Studios had the rights to the title. Sooner or later it will ...but until then, it's like Kevin McClory has the rights to the Fantastic Four and Dr. Doom all tied up. Send 'em all down a chimney in search of a delicatessen in stainless steel as far as I'm concerned. Doc Doom would probably look pretty good in stainless steel...
    FF is one of my fav Marvel comics. Imagine Dr Doom done justice on the big screen. We would get such iconic cinematic scenes.
    When I saw the trailer for the new film, I expected some Terrence Malick meets Joss Whedon type of film. That's not what I got. The promise of a stylish, edgier film with an epic story wasn't fulfilled - regrettably.
    Agreed. It wasn t bad, it just wasn t very memorable.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Fox are useless when it comes to comic book properties and this reboot was an obvious attempt at trying to hold on to the rights. This reboot had a great cast, I'd say they had a better cast than the Tim Story films but everything else was absolute trash. Naturally, the proposed sequel was canned and what's worse, after a handful of cinematic entries they can't execute the F4 team and it's mythology anywhere as close to the source material. It's so bloody easy to do if people know wtf they're doing. It baffles me why they can't get doom right. The character that influenced the creation of Darth Vader is piss poor pathetic. We'll only get a truly great F4 movie once either te rights revert back to Marvel or if Fox have the same deal Sony has with Marvel regarding the spider-man rights.
    @doubleoego, Fox is responsible for the X-Men movies which, IMO, are ALL great with the exception of the barely passable X3 and the totally wrong Origins. But X2, First Class and Days Of Future Past are great examples of how a studio can handle these things very well. ;-)
    Yeah the xmen movies are pretty good but I put that down to Singer and Vaughan's competencies.
    edited January 2016 Posts: 23,449
    Well yes, but by the same token, @doubleoego, how do you feel about WB? A few good Superman films, a few really terrible ones. A few great Batman films, a few really terrible ones. We mostly talk about the directors anyway, right? I mean, Burton versus Schumacher, Donner versus Lester and Fury, ...
    edited January 2016 Posts: 11,139
    I'm not as invested in DC/WB as I am with Marvel so I'm either not that critical on their movies or I just have no interest. Regarding superman, I enjoyed Superman 1 and 2 and MoS. For batman, I enjoyed batman 89, batman returns, batman begins and TDK. I think where DC/WB really shine consistently is in their animation movies.
    @doubleoego, you're absolutely right! The animation output is tremendous, especially the Bruce Timm universe (animated series, Dark Knight Returns, ...) The Justice League kids stuff is not really my thing though.
    Likewise, the more kiddie-centric animations I don't really watch but the other animated output is just tremendous stuff. I love it.
  • edited January 2016 Posts: 3,564
    What it comes down to is respect for the source material. Bruce Timm clearly loves those old comic books, and it shows in his output. The folks responsible for the most recent FF movie seem to be thinking, "We'll show those dopes at Marvel how it should be done!” Here’s a clue, guys: Read the work of Lee & Kirby. Then turn that into a movie. Maybe not as easy as it sounds -- Kirby was a friggin’ genius and Lee was a first-rate wordsmith and truly inspiring editor in the best run of his long and very successful career. Try not to underestimate the source material and maybe, just maybe, you’ll be able to adapt it properly.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I knew this film was going to be a turd just looking at it. :))