Is the entire second half of Die Another Day the silliest part of Brosnan's era?

We have threads for almost everybody else, so I figure why not Brosnan? But it's just too tough to pick one moment from DAD.

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    The tidal wave surfing was easily the silliest part of Brosnan's era.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,552
    What about the German accented computer in Bond's BMW in TND? "Reminder, Unsafe driving will void warranty" followed by the crash into the (Product Placement) Avis hire store "Congratulations on safe driving"
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    JCRendle wrote: »
    What about the German accented computer in Bond's BMW in TND?
    I thought that was hilarious.
  • JCRendle wrote: »
    What about the German accented computer in Bond's BMW in TND? "Reminder, Unsafe driving will void warranty"

It's silly, but it's by no means DAD silly.
    jake24 wrote: »
    What about the German accented computer in Bond's BMW in TND?
    I thought that was hilarious.
    Granted, it was perfect for Brosnan's tenure and did make me laugh, but it's definitely silly in a good way.
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 1,552
    So we have the "silly" occurrences in Connery, Moore, Brosnan and Craig - Who's going to start the "is the Boom Box the silliest part of Dalton's era" thread?
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    So we have the "silly" occurrences in Connery, Moore, Brosnan and Craig - Who's going to start the "is the Boom Box the silliest part of Dalton's era" thread?

Could be the cello case sledding :P
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."

John Terry is the silliest thing in the Dalton era. :P
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 7,500
    But it's just too tough to pick one moment from DAD.

Hm, is there really any contest at all? I thought about posting a thread like this myself, but neglected it, simply because I think there's not much of a discussion.

It has to be the CGI surfing scene, hasn't it? I'd rate it as the silliest thing in all of Bond, and its arguably even worse simply because it was never meant to be funny or silly at all (at least I don't think so...).
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 11,189
    The CG surfing certainly has to be one of the most embarrassing moments certainly but in terms of "silliness" I'm tempted to say the moment Gustav Graves turns round in that robot gear, It's meant to be a serous moment in which a father comes face-to-face for the first time with his long lost son. Instead it's utterly ridiculous.
  • TokolosheTokoloshe Under your bed
    What about the German accented computer in Bond's BMW in TND? "Reminder, Unsafe driving will void warranty" followed by the crash into the (Product Placement) Avis hire store "Congratulations on safe driving"

The surfing scene wins every time, but I'm glad someone mentioned Brosnan's ludicrous decision to launch his BMW off the rooftop of a busy city street and have it 'hilariously' plough through a shop front. Makes me cringe every time for it's sheer stupidity.

• Yes. End of discussion.
    DAD is the silliest moment in the entire Bond franchise, not just the Brosnan era....
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    Yes, but I would also stick those "X-Ray glasses" from TWINE in there, too.
    The second half? It is silly from the beginning to the end!
    Ludovico wrote: »
    I disagree - the beginning has some very good ideas and execution.
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    The CG surfing certainly has to be one of the most embarrassing moments certainly but in terms of "silliness" I'm tempted to say the moment Gustav Graves turns round in that robot gear, It's meant to be a serous moment in which a father comes face-to-face for the first time with his long lost son. Instead it's utterly ridiculous.

Yes, that is a good contender as well! Forgot about that one! :)

Was it the bullet-time gunbarrel sequence, Bond having a beer gut after 18 months of torture in a Korean jail, Bond stopping his heart or Bond entering in the Hong Kong hotel looking like a hobo?

Was it the bullet-time gunbarrel sequence, Bond having a beer gut after 18 months of torture in a Korean jail, Bond stopping his heart or Bond entering in the Hong Kong hotel looking like a hobo?
    Read my thoughts here

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2015 Posts: 15,690
    I watched DAD yesterday, I had forgotten they played the Bond theme during the CGI surfing.

Read my thoughts here

What i meant is that there are enough bad things in the first half to deem it silly. Bond prisoner is a great idea. Showing a beer gut after more than a year of imprisonment is sloppy at best.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The whole film is silly. Surfing on a tsunami, invisible car and Stephens as Robocop/Palpatine may be the lowlights, though.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The second half of DAD is the silliest of all Bond eras.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    in terms of "silliness" I'm tempted to say the moment Gustav Graves turns round in that robot gear, It's meant to be a serous moment in which a father comes face-to-face for the first time with his long lost son. Instead it's utterly ridiculous.
    It was a moment of ludicrousity, yes. But Moneypenny with VR Bond was so silly it gets the skip button treatment from me every time (last night in fact).

• DrShatterhandDrShatterhand Garden of Death, near Belfast

Spot on, old man. Can't understand why anyone would think the first half of DAD is fine. The scene where Bond strolls into the hotel in his jammy bottoms is a bloody disgrace.

chrisisall wrote: »
    in terms of "silliness" I'm tempted to say the moment Gustav Graves turns round in that robot gear, It's meant to be a serous moment in which a father comes face-to-face for the first time with his long lost son. Instead it's utterly ridiculous.
    It was a moment of ludicrousity, yes. But Moneypenny with VR Bond was so silly it gets the skip button treatment from me every time (last night in fact).

The VR scene itself I don't actually mind.

It's the line MP has straight afterwards that's horrible.

Q: "That's rather hard isn't it?"
    MP: "Yes...very"

I THINK there might have been an innuendo there but it was so subtle I didn't notice ;)
    Q: "That's rather hard isn't it?"
    MP: "Yes...very"
    I THINK there might have been an innuendo there but it was so subtle I didn't notice ;)

:))
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I'm afraid I equate silly with stuff like the Tarzan yell or elephant winning the slots - dumb moments that shouldn't be in the final film but are so brief it's difficult to get too annoyed by them.

The parasurfing and invisible car in DAD go way beyond this into being outright offensive.
    The parasurfing and invisible car in DAD go way beyond this into being outright offensive.
    Just bad FX & questionable device choices, the robo-suit is silly & the VR shag is offensive.
    My opinion has certainly softened from next to last on my list to watching it twice in two months and enjoying it more each time.
  • KerimKerim Istanbul Not Constantinople
    Pierce's Kiss of Death becoming the kiss of life for Jinx.