Should There Be Another Foot Chase in Bond 23?

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    How don't Bond's foot chases in QoS move the plot along? At the beginning of the movie White is in the Aston's trunk and Bond is being pursued. Well why the heck would Bond be chased?? White is only a high ranking member of Quantum and I think the men would be more than a little concerned about not getting him back. So Bond gets out of their with White to interrogate him. This sets up the chase in Sienna. Like I said, when Mithcell is revealed as a traitor it shows that Quantum is everywhere, and the marked cash in his wallet lead MI6 to Slate. And how do I explain the chase, hmmm? Well, like I mentioned already, when Mitchell ran, Bond knowing he had ties to Quantum, what else would Bond do? FAST WALK?! Both men were fit and experienced to traverse terrain, so naturally they would have done the things they did in the chase. The boat chase is also explained easily. Bond gets to Haiti, finds Slate, sees that he is supposed to kill Camille by Greene's orders, and follows her after he leaves her car(He would have risked a bullet to the face otherwise). At the dock area, Bond sees Medrano and Greene. Bond knows Camille will be killed because Bond knows Greene ordered Slate to have her killed by then. The real Slate would have killed Camille during their "meeting". Greene thinks fast and shows Camille to Medrano, who he knows she would want to get close to(he killed her family and she wants revenge). Bond knows she will be killed by Medrano if he doesn't intervene so he commandeers a boat to rescue her. What would Bond have done otherwise? Get some pixie dust, fly in and scoop up Camille? Following that Bond gets inside Bregenz's Oprea House and is shot at by Greene's men. WHy do you ask? DUH. Bond has been a thorn in Greene/Quantum's side. Wouldn't you want him squashed? Bond afterwards gets Mathis on board. Then this leads to the party Greene is at, which sets up Mathis's death. After dumping Mathis Bond and Camille survey what Quantum is up to by spotting the land by plane, but Medrano gets a tail on them and his men battle Bond. This sequence too sets up the plot and is needed. What else would Medrano's men do? They're in midair and they aren't kamikazes so they had to shoot the plane down. Bond and Camille escape and parachute into the sink hole where they see Quantum are damming water to cause a monopoly due to drought. Bond then returns to the hotel and finds Fields dead. M is there and takes his 00 status away. While riding down an elevator with M's men Bond KNOWS he has to escape and does so. What else would he do? Disappear into thin air? NO. Then Bond gets in contact with Felix, and the good ol' CIA boy gives Bond the meeting place for Greene and Medrano. Bond flees while being chased. Wait, what was that? Bond ran away from pursuers? Yes you heard me right. He needed to get to Greene so he ran to avoid capture. Then Camille and Bond infiltrate the hotel, and the first action sequence here happens because guards get alerted when Bond shoots up the Chief of Police and his transport squad. HE REVENGED MATHIS! IT HAD A PURPOSE. Then Bond gets Greene while Camille gets Medrano, rightfully so. Bond chases Greene because Greene was running like a girl. Bond gets Greene and Camille gets revenge for her family. Greene is left in the desert and Bond reaffirms his position at MI6. I have just explained every major action scene in the movie. Each moved the story, and each were needed because the last time I checked Bond wasn't Superman.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0Brady, I thought the exact same thing.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Thanks Creasy. Too many critique QoS too critically. Comparing it to DAD is an insult. DAD was a completely unrealistic adventure. QoS incorporated REAL places, actual physics, and no crazy gadgets that Brosnan's Bond realied too heavily on. It isn't bad by any means. The action scenes are necessary in the film. Any that disagree, just read above and all will be sorted out. I know all the QoS haters will still hate, but I don't care. QoS makes sense to me and any that can't connect the dots about the plot chaining action scenes can remain in denial and hate the film for whatever reasons you can come up with.
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    the definition of action, in an action movie is to move the plot along from one stop to the next........ i'm not getting where the confusion is coming from lol.
    There were still scenes in QoS that confused me, but if the chase sequences didn't move the film along without being a 'pointless chase scene', what IS a chase sequence that moves the film along? Everyone loves the parkour scene in Madagascar in CR - as do I - but that was exactly what we saw Bond doing to Mitchell: chasing him because he fled.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited July 2011 Posts: 15,690

QUE ?? Sorry ? What purpose did the Siena chase serve in QOS other than a pointless foot chase ?
    T
    They just happen to be there to manage to make the plot go forward.... .
    You just have answered your own question.

Well duh... but were they necessary? No. Could they be replace by more quiet scenes? Yes...

You are basicly saying every scene in every movie ever made are absolutly needed to the entire film... Everyone knows that's utter rubbish and is factually not true. There are scenes that are uncessessary sometimes... and there are several in QOS. Was the CGI parasurfing scene in DAD absolutly needed in the film ? No... Same thing in QOS with the boat chase, foot chase and plane chase...
    the definition of action, in an action movie is to move the plot along from one stop to the next........ i'm not getting where the confusion is coming from lol.

Yes... But Bond movies aren't SOLELY action films...
    QoS makes sense to me and any that can't connect the dots about the plot chaining action scenes can remain in denial and hate
    the film for whatever reasons you can come up with.
    Sorry, that is pure rubbish... So everyone who hates the film didn't understand it? I understood the film PERFECTLY, I am not dumb, and I still don't like it. Did you not understand the simplistic DAD if you hate that film?
    I'm saying no matter how much the film did right people will always hate it. It was a good film, just not what was expected after the whollop that CR was. You of all people DC site M as a large problems of the films. That is more ridiculous than anything I've ever heard concerning hating certain Bond films. If you hate it, don't watch QoS. Leave it at that. No fan is more right than the other. We all love Bond and that is enough. Lets quit the arguing.
  • CatCat
    In my opinion, there should be more foot chase in Bond 23.
    Now, this is just my idea of fun: It starts out with paragliding down the top of Sahyadri Mountains, then a foot chase to the foot of the thick evergreen forest of the mountain range:

Then on to a trecherous foot chase slong the dangerous streets of New Dehli:

This ends up to the roof top of one of the Imperial Towers of Mumbai: http://indianskyscraperblog.wordpress.com/2007/09/08/mumbai-the-imperial-towers-formerly-sd-towers-249m-60-fl-uc/
    And as he holds Slate's leg up, he just looks around as the life fades out of his body. Goes back in, wipes the blood off, uses a shirt as a bandage, steals a jacket, keys, a briefcase, and leaves. Classic. It all happens so quick that I realize he insults this man in so many ways in less than three minutes.

Just like Dimitrios in CR. Bond beats him in poker, gets his money, gets his car, takes his woman, foils his plan on the airport (twice), stabs him...and gives him a little pat on the face. Craig's Bond really does love to intimidate and embarass his enemies, in life and in death. Even Greene, just leaving him in the desert, essentially forcing the inevitability of using motor oil as a drink on him. It's priceless.
    I don't see the slap on the face as an insult to Dimitrios. I get what you are saying about the rest but I dunno. It's like felt sorry for him and he was saying, sorry, dude, I had to do it, no hard feelings. And with Slate I saw reluctance in his eyes, like he did what he to not what he wanted to.

No more footchases... We've had both CR and QOS start after the PTS with the same kind of chase, do we need the franchise to fall further into cliche land ? The movie-starting-with-footchase is getting cliched... Give us something new instead of a footchase to please the MTV kiddie crowd that fall to sleep when too much talking... I thought people wanted another GF or TB, not another Statham flick...
    Chase scenes in Craig's Bond aren't just filler, they fit the story like you said and continue on the plot
    QUE ?? Sorry ? What purpose did the Siena chase serve in QOS other than a pointless foot chase ? What purpose served the boat chase ? Or even the plane chase ? They made another DAD with QOS - in the sense of another movie that has action scenes that doesn't move the story forward just for the heck of it... QOS privileged the action over the story... sorry but that's the truth... I'm pretty sure the same plot could have been made with more talking (better) and less action scenes (better). How QOS desperatly needed the (pointless) action scenes to move the plot forward is beyond me. It's proof that the plot in QOS was utter rubbish... They wrote themselves into corners every 15 pages, so they added action scenes here and there to fill in the plot gaps.

The action scenes in QOS are just like the cellphones in CR... They just happen to be there to manage to make the plot go forward.... when a bit more thought in the writing could have found a more original way for the plot to move forward...
    I disagree with all of this, as usual. I wanna see you write a script for Bond so I can laugh at your "plot".
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    I wanna see you write a script for Bond so I can laugh at your "plot".
    Instead of mocking, why won't you wait if I one day write a script ? I find it insulting that you think I'm too dumb to write my own script... So if I disagree with your views I am dumb ?? Mocking isn't a good argument, sorry... I said QOS had a pathetic plot with huge gaps filled by pointless action scenes... Please answer with an argument instead of making fun of people that don't share your opinion... I find it quite insulting...
    Even the script writers themselves had problems with QoS. The script was rushed through before the writers' strike began.
    If DC ever writers a script that even crumbles CR, what will be your excuse then @The_Reaper? Was he just having a good run of it? Did the writing god's help him? Instead of criticizing everything get your own opinion on what should happen in Bond 23. Until then your comments are nothing of substance.
    People say the Bourne films got stale over time... same 'construction' - one car chase, one foot chase, one big battle with an enemy... If you don't like Bourne repeating themselves, why do some keep insisting Bond films should open with a foot chase for the 3rd consecutive time ? Stop the franchise on the spot if EON has run out of idea for action scenes... foot chase foot chase foot chase.... One was good, 2nd time was plain lazy, 3rd time is simply running of ideas... Not only do the recent outings have too much action, but if also the films are going to use the same action scenes and ideas... well then the franchise is dead, stop making movies... Maybe you think I can't write a script, well it is clear you can't think of action scenes other than foot chases...
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 289
    yes i would love another foot chase, rather that than some tarzan yell or back screen puddle jumper "dog fight" scene....

A foot chase in India i could see in between open air markets and back alleys where they have to fly after each other but stop and looks smooth chill in the market the explode in a chase again....but Bond is the one trying to get away this time.

Dalton enough about bourne....
    A foot chase in India i could see in between open air markets and back alleys where they have to fly after each other but stop and looks smooth chill in the market the explode in a chase again....but Bond is the one trying to get away this time.
    No point making B23 then, if you're going to rehash the foot chases of CR and QOS for a 3rd time in a row...

-2 points for B23 if it features the same foot chase that has already gotten tiresome...

You people that love Craig movies for 'breaking the formula'... You've just contradicted yourself by creating a new Bond formula, even more cliched than the first one by starting every movie by a foot chase... Bring back the old formula if you're going to do the same stuff but in worse...
    Dalton so you want Q and Money penny back and no more pointless action sequences

here is an idea why not dislike Actions sequences and characters who are there for filler. Give me one film where moneypenny moved the plot along and was integral?
    Dalton so you want Q and Money penny back and no more pointless action sequences

here is an idea why not dislike Actions sequences and characters who are there for filler. Give me one film where moneypenny moved the plot along and was integral?
    Why not write Moneypenny in a better, more original way than she ever was ?

I think I kind of agree with DaltonCraig, here :O

We've had two drawn out foot chases in two consecutive films. (CR's was better) We don't REALLY need another one, or at least another extended one. A 20 second foot chase? Alright.

I'd like to see an action sequence that is something a little more than your standard 'car chase' or 'foot chase'. For example: the tank chase in GoldenEye is preposterous, yes, and some despise it. In my opinion, however, it is one of the best chases in Bond. Not only because it is well done, but because it is unique!!

The 'Bondola' from Moonraker was also unique, but for the wrong reasons. It was played for laughs, and my head was down in shame the whole time. (Similar to DAD's parasailing scene)

Quantum of Solace's most memorable action scene was the opening car chase, the rest of them were fairly entertaining yet serviceable.

So, nothing as flipping stupid as the 'Bondola' from Moonraker, but maybe go for something a little more escapist this time around.

Ya'll know what I mean, right?????
    I thought the best action sequence in QoS was the Haiti fight with Slate.

As for the foot chases, I see both sides of it: I don't necessarily think they're pointless - if Mitchell or Mollaka are going to run away, what else is Bond to do than to give chase? BUT, if Mitchell or Mollaka are going to run away, what's stopping them from getting in a car or stopping and fighting, therefore reducing the number of foot chases?

So yeah, I see either side of this argument. If there is another foot chase scene, I'll be happy; they're always entertaining to me. If not, oh well - just leaves room for something more unique to happen.
    We are wanting a formula so contrived, it won't last another 2 movies that we're going to have another reboot... And the Craig films will be utterly pointless then...

Yes there was a formula from 1962-2002... But atleast the films had space to be original everytime... Now you want a formula that will rehash the same action scenes over and over again ? Do another reboot right not if that's the case... You people wanted outings that 'broke the formula'... well you are creating a formula that will make the film even more contrived than before... IMO the Craig era is become more and more pointless... Craig's era is becoming exactly like the Bourne trilogy... Stale within the 3rd movie... Why not make ONE film with Craig, explain the origins of Bond, then reboot the other way and carry on like before with the 1962-2002 timeline with a new actor, and pretending the Craig movie was a one-off.
    Personally, I think this film will heavily be different than the last, if not only the second. I would be shocked if we had another foot chase, or else it will be established in the Bond world that it is "necessary" to have a foot chase in every single film we watch Bond in.
    I somehow also have a feeling that Bond 23 is going to be a departure from the first two Craig films....
    If they continue along the same track, then the reviews will be even worse for Bond 23 than they were for QoS. With Mendes on board, I think there will be something brand new coming to theaters next year.
    i know we could have a ski scene were bond wears a banana yellow ski outfit!!!!
    I somehow also have a feeling that Bond 23 is going to be a departure from the first two Craig films....
    @SJK91 and @Creasy47 I am not doubting that B23 will be a departure from the last 2 Bond films... I am merely trying to understand the people who love the Craig films for 'breaking the formula' while wanting an even more contrived formula in the process... Sounds hugely contradictory.

@DaltonCraig007, I know, my apologies if I came across like I was forcing that towards you, I was merely stating my thoughts on it.
    want more tarzan yells and back screened sped up car "chases" threw tourist areas?
    @SJK91 and @Creasy47 I am not doubting that B23 will be a departure from the last 2 Bond films... I am merely trying to understand the people who love the Craig films for 'breaking the formula' while wanting an even more contrived formula... Sounds hugely contradictory.

No, I get it DC007! I do understand where you are coming from.

I love Casino Royale, but not because it broke any formula. And I honestly don't believe that CR is that DRASTICALLY different from the 'original series'.

@SJK91 and @Creasy47 I am not doubting that B23 will be a departure from the last 2 Bond films... I am merely trying to understand the people who love the Craig films for 'breaking the formula' while wanting an even more contrived formula... Sounds hugely contradictory.

No, I get it DC007! I do understand where you are coming from.

I love Casino Royale, but not because it broke any formula. And I honestly don't believe that CR is that DRASTICALLY different from the 'original series'.

In that case we agree even more !