How would you change Bond?

124»

Comments

• edited July 2012 Posts: 5,745
    Samuel001 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Bond on holiday, extended (not just him in bed with a girl and the phone rings..)

The short story The Hildebrand Rarity takes place whilst Bond is on holiday. The events of the story unfold as the circumstance of something Bond does - or agrees too. That in inself makes the story a little different, Bond is not on an official assignment. You must read it if you haven't yet, @JWESTBROOK.

All very valid points by the way. The films need to start slowly bringing these elements either back in, or in for the first time. Skyfall feels like the first step in a way, that gives me some promise for the future of Bond on film.

How do you feel about bringing Bond's (and the other double-0's) personal secretary rather than Moneypenny? I believe her name was Loelia Ponsonby in Moonraker. Not exactly catchy, but it'd make for a good joke.

Oh and I'm still finishing Moonraker. Quite an easy read, very enjoyable. I'm slowly making my way down the list of Amazon e-books.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I'd make Bond convert to Islam. I think that would be a nice twist in today's world and give his character more layers to play with.

So that would also mean no booze and no smoking and no sex unless he marries the girl or has a temporary marriage called a neeka.

Could be good fun.

So...basically not make him be James Bond at all...good plan... X_X
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm pretty sure he was being sarcastic.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Creasy47 wrote:

I can't tell when it is in text, but I do hope so! :-S
    I couldn't tell, either, but I do believe he clarified it a page back. I was pretty thankful it was a joke!
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Samuel001 wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Bond on holiday, extended (not just him in bed with a girl and the phone rings..)

The short story The Hildebrand Rarity takes place whilst Bond is on holiday. The events of the story unfold as the circumstance of something Bond does - or agrees too. That in inself makes the story a little different, Bond is not on an official assignment. You must read it if you haven't yet, @JWESTBROOK.

All very valid points by the way. The films need to start slowly bringing these elements either back in, or in for the first time. Skyfall feels like the first step in a way, that gives me some promise for the future of Bond on film.

How do you feel about bringing Bond's (and the other double-0's) personal secretary rather than Moneypenny? I believe her name was Loelia Ponsonby in Moonraker. Not exactly catchy, but it'd make for a good joke.

Oh and I'm still finishing Moonraker. Quite an easy read, very enjoyable. I'm slowly making my way down the list of Amazon e-books.

Anything from the novel is a plus in my book - boom, boom! ;) I've always thought that too, the Loelia Ponsonby would make for a good (running?) joke.
  • Creasy47 wrote:

Do my posts look like text speak? Please let me know so I can remedy the situation. Ta or sorry thank you.

Samuel001 wrote:
    Anything from the novel is a plus in my book - boom, boom! ;) I've always thought that too, the Loelia Ponsonby would make for a good (running?) joke.

Well this I found interesting. The real Loela Ponsonby. Anyways. I agree. More book content please!
    Creasy47 wrote:

Do my posts look like text speak? Please let me know so I can remedy the situation. Ta or sorry thank you.

Your posts are fine, it is just that with anyone it is hard to tell how the words are supposed to be taken. For example, the statement "I had a great day" can be taken very different. Just "I had a great day" in text could mean a genuine feeling or a sarcastic backlash. The only way to show your true feelings is with capitalization or avatars. No fault of your own, mate.
    I would not change anything now. Craig is fine and does a great job.

Cool post but you should have asked this 15 years ago when Brozza was gumming up the works.
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Cool post but you should have asked this 15 years ago when Brozza was gumming up the works.

If I wasn't six years old and didn't love Brosnan, then I may have.
  • edited July 2012 Posts: 5,745
    OHMSS69 wrote:

Please don't set up this thread for an argument. Was that last comment really necessary? Let's try and avoid what problems we can please :)
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    edited July 2012 Posts: 5,979
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

I think P&W tried to bring in Ponsonby in DAD, in addition to Gala Brand.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    echo wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

They Originally named Miranda Frost, Gala Brand then changed it.
    Murdock wrote:
    echo wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Oh yeah? I didn't know that. Though Frost has the ironicy to back it up, so I can see why they changed it, and Gala is a bit odd even by Bond's modern standards.
    Murdock wrote:
    echo wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

Yes, I know. I was wrong about Ponsonby. It was GE when they tried to bring her in.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Neal Purvis and Robert Wade didn't work on GoldenEye. Do you mean Bruce Feirstein?
    OHMSS69 wrote:

If you wouldn't change anything, why post in a thread that's about what you would change? And did you really need to add that last bit?

Anyway, I'd like to see Bond use stealth more. I'd like something like the GE PTS, or like the stealth scene in Inception, where Cobb uses his silenced pistol to sneak around and take out the guards, muffling their cries as they fall.
    edited July 2012 Posts: 5,979
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Neal Purvis and Robert Wade didn't work on GoldenEye. Do you mean Bruce Feirstein?

Yes, I know. There were several writers on GE. I don't know which one tried to bring Ponsonby in.
    Anyway, I'd like to see Bond use stealth more. I'd like something like the GE PTS, or like the stealth scene in Inception, where Cobb uses his silenced pistol to sneak around and take out the guards, muffling their cries as they fall.

I would love to see Craig do that!!
    I'd also love to see him 'dressed' for the stealthy role. I'd be happy with either a Connery/Thunderball dark pants and shirt, or more of a Dalton/TLD PTS Fatigues
    I'd like to see James Bond engage in some deep and intricate plot that involves only minimal violence. Think: Ian Fleming + John Le Carre = WIN.
    I'd change 007 into more of a spy than an assassin of the state, kinda going back to basics. More tension and thrills without the usual panache. But that doesn't mean he won't be killing bad guys though. I'd just like him to use his brains more than his brawn.
    I would like to see a truly villainous villain, one who projects a real sense of menace.
    CrabKey wrote:
    I would like to see a truly villainous villain, one who projects a real sense of menace.

Bardem seems to give that kind of feeling off, from what we've seen thus far of SF.

I'd like to see Bond go back to being an infiltrator during a stealthy secret mission.
    Those have been in short supply for sure the last few years. When was the last time we had a truly great lead villain, only Robert Davi comes to mind, and that was over 20 years ago. Trevelyan was good, but simply lacked the menace. Dominic Green was a joke, LeChiffre didn't offer much, Graves was fun, but not nasty enough, Carver wouldn't scare a ten year old kid on Halloween, and said Trevelyan just didn't radiate enough menace despite some fun lines. James Bond great villains of power are a thing of the past it would seem. I saw Christopher Lee in the part a few days ago, and truly, it works for him, more of that this year would be ideal
    I'd like to see a villain get somewhere. We always hear their dastardly plot, but we never get to see it follow through. This is where I'm hoping Skyfall succeeds. But if not, Bond 24 could improve. Raise the stakes, up the ante.
    I'd like to see a villain get somewhere. We always hear their dastardly plot, but we never get to see it follow through. This is where I'm hoping Skyfall succeeds. But if not, Bond 24 could improve. Raise the stakes, up the ante.

It seems like Silva might achieve something, given the amount of train destruction in the trailer...unless it's caused by something else, of course. I don't know that much as of now, nor do I want to.
    As half the movie has been given away in spoilers, one way or another, perhaps it's too late for that. I found myself reading for a significant time when common sense should of told me 'not to get involved in these things', but in the end I pulled out, damage may have been done, but actually I have forgotten most of what was there due to other activities, so no harm done but even so. Actually I don't think spoilers were evident at the time of reading in my defense