Javier Bardem and Ralph Fiennes Confirmed for 'Bond 23'? Naomie Harris as Moneypenny?

Comments

• I agree with those who question anything a British tabloid prints as factual news. Other than Craig's statements that he wants to see the characters of Q and Moneypenny to return, that does not mean that is what EON intends at this time. Here's my thoughts on it.

1. I really like the idea of Fiennes and Bardem as Quantum members/associates. Fiennes is a great actor and Bardem not too far behind. But I don't like Fiennes for the role of Major Boothroyd. If it's something he wants to do then it is what it is, but Fiennes is much too talented for a small part even if it is a legendary one.

2. I'm sort of weirded out by the possibility of Naomie Harris as Moneypenny. On one hand she is not nearly as famous as Fiennes, so the possibility that she could free her time every 2 years to reprise the role is doable. But this is a risk because if she gets or feels at one point she is too "big for the role", then they will need to replace her. I definitely don't want to see a revolving door situation develop here. What has always been a hallmark of Bond movies is the continuity of the roles and the characters who played them.

3. I have to say that I understand where Masterman is coming from. The characters of Bond, M, Q, and Moneypenny are supposed to be played by white people, preferably from the United Kingdom, at least as intended by Ian Fleming. I would never support a black Bond, I have to say that as politically incorrect and racist as it may sound to some.

is it possible that Baz is wrong that she is playing a character like moneypenny? she is really cute wouldn't want to see her "wasted" on Monneypenny

perhaps she'll be Loelia Ponsbody (or however you spell the characters name

• 3. I have to say that I understand where Masterman is coming from. The characters of Bond, M, Q, and Moneypenny are supposed to be played by white people, preferably from the United Kingdom, at least as intended by Ian Fleming. I would never support a black Bond, I have to say that as politically incorrect and racist as it may sound to some.

I understand the appeal of characters appearing as "Fleming-like" as possible (one of the reasons I loved Dalton's casting following Moore) but over the years I've realized that it isn't that important to me. There are many aspects of the Fleming books that just seem silly in today's world, such as a highly trained agent being a heavy smoker, but there are also things that are just distasteful (Bond thoughts on different races).

I have no problem with a black Felix. I don't think that any of the previous actors played him as a Texan, and no one seems to care about that. As long as he's American that the important point in the character IMHO. Same with Moneypenny - as long as she's English (or British) it doesn't matter to me if she's black, white, or of South Asian heritage.

There's the fact that at the times the books were written a black CIA agent would have seemed unlikely or even a bit ridiculous to some readers (or more so, I'm guessing, to the author). But if the books were written in 2011 it would be perfectly normal for these characters to be black, so who cares? As long as I get a good actor playing an interesting character then I'm happy.

• The first Moneypenny (Lois Maxwell?) was Canadian so it really doesnt matter
    King and country.....is more important than skin color. but like above is they can act what does it matter?

as a vet i didnt care about color but red...to make sure they are safe and they make sure i was, that is all.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Of course none of this has been confirmed yet.
    But let's assume for arguments sake that Harris has been cast as Miss Moneypenny. I for one would be okay with this, even though in the past the character has been predominantly played by a white actress, the part is so small that it's has no effect on the characterisation.
    And with Lois Maxwell being the definitive 'Penny', perhaps a complete turnaround for the role is needed. In a nutshell it bothers me not if Harris is Moneypenny.

Now for Javier Bardem, no doubt he'll play the villain, but a thought struck me when my mind went over the thought of a black Miss Moneypenny. What if he's not the villain, but been asked to play Q?
    Two iconic Bond roles now being played by actors that are the polar opposites of the originals. Of course this is probably not the case, but it got me thinking of the 'what if' scenario.

But as this 'news' :-)) story originated in the British press, then for the time being I'll wait untill confirmation.
    No need to worry to much either way, but certainly not yet.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    So if the news is true and we do have a black Moneypenny, might there ever be a day we have a black Bond?
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 503
    So if the news is true and we do have a black Moneypenny, might there ever be a day we have a black Bond?
    I hope not. I'm all for creating new characters that are minorities, but to take characters that have always been Caucasian and to cast a black or other minority is just stunt PC casting for the sake of the appearance of multiculturalism or whatever. You'd never see it the other way around, though.

It's annoying because you know they were thinking "hmm, which minority actress can we cast as Moneypenny", instead of "which ACTRESS would be good as Moneypenny?". Harris doesn't seem like a good fit for Moneypenny in my opinion.

If you thought Samantha Bond's scenes were sickeningly PC and feminist, wait 'til Bond 23!
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    So the producers turned Felix leiter Black & now Moneypenny. Who's next. M? Bond?
    The race of Felix and Moneypenny isn't important. They are characters who aren't defined by the colour of their skin and their roles aren't expansive enough for it to be a concern. Wright as Leiter takes nothing and does nothing to diminish the character and Moneypenny's significance in the films is that she's a staple, a character of familiarity who provokes light flirtatious moments; the woman could just as easily been Chinese or Indian. Harris is a good enough actress to remind audiences or to enlighten them that Moneypenny isn't a racial character but more a character defined by her attitude.

As for M being black, why not? I'm not advocating that it should and wil happenbut even though M is a more important character than the aforementioned, M isn't like Leiter, Moneypenny or Bond. M is whoever is assigned to head MI6. It could be a man or woman, black or white. Whereas Harris maybe playing the character immortalised by the charming Lois Maxwell, whoever will be playing M after Dench isn't going to be playing the Bernerd Lee's character

As for Bond, the casting of Craig still has people left fuming, so casting someone of another race entirely could potentially be a nightmare. However, I do believe that Bond's race should never ever be changed. James Bond is a white man, always has been and will always be so and that's partly because his race moreso than any other main character is a focal issue and it would basically be a rather stupid change.
    edited July 2011 Posts: 11,139
    Double post
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave
    http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/5261949/Javier-Bardem-confirmed-for-Bond

Is this true? The website states no sources though... Here's what they said:
    Javier Bardem has been cast as a villain in upcoming movie Bond 23.

The Spanish actor joins Dame Judi Dench and Naomie Harris for the next installment of the cult franchise.

Javier, who is known for his roles in Eat Pray Love and No Country For Old Men, will be playing the central baddie in the spy movie.

Directed by British filmmaker Sam Mendes, Harry Potter star Ralph Fiennes is also reportedly confirmed for a role in Bond 23.

The Hollywood star, who played evil wizard Lord Voldemort in the hit franchise, is said to be portraying a “darkly complex” character.

Meanwhile, troubled star Amy Winehouse is said to be in the running to sing the new Bond theme tune.

Bond composer David Arnold originally wanted the singer to perform the theme song for Quantum of Solace, but Amy had to pull out due to her personal issues.

But despite her recent cancellation of gigs, the sould diva is still said to be up against fellow British warbler Adele, who Arnold is also believed to be courting to sing the movie tune.

Bond 23 is scheduled to begin production later this year and is expected to hit cinemas in October 2012.
    I read that they are still going for Amy Winehouse, and we know that Daniel Craig wants Kings of Leon to do the theme song. But, time will tell.

As for Harris as Moneypenny, I agree: Moneypenny, M, Q, none of them should be based off of the color of their skin. My only upset with this news is that I really thought Harris was going to play the main Bond girl, which I believe that she could seriously hold her own in some action sequences, and now she's Moneypenny, so I may not see as much of her as I hoped. Only a few months from production, so hopefully all this news get cleared up soon and we find out who will be who.

• It's annoying because you know they were thinking "hmm, which minority actress can we cast as Moneypenny", instead of "which ACTRESS would be good as Moneypenny?". Harris doesn't seem like a good fit for Moneypenny in my opinion.

Actually, *I* don't know that they were thinking "which minority actress can we cast as Moneypenny", instead of "which ACTRESS would be good as Moneypenny?". Can you please cite your sources or offer proof? I think it's entirely possible that they *did* cast her because she was the best actress they came across for the role.

Assuming, of course, that she is indeed playing Moneypenny.
    Outside of the whole Moneypenny fiasco, Which sorry I don;'t know why we need Moneypenny or why Naomi is cast as her the last time the character was at all interesting was Licenses to kill 22 years ago and before that OHMSS (Loved how she was able to calm the fight between Bond and M)

Moving past all that I'm hoping for a From Russia with Love scenario with Fiennes as Quantum's "revenge planner" and Bardem as a sick twisted hitman a Red Grant for the 21st century.
    I don't know why Arnold is even bothering with Winehouse, as great a talent as she is, she's making no effort to come correct. Also, does this mean that Arnold is back as composer?? I'm almost convinced that Arnold will be back although it would be nice to hear something different, something...better.
    Lastly, as much as the producers are aware this movie will mark the 50th anniversary of cinematic Bond, I really want them to focus. They dropped the ball majorly with the 40th and music wise, they should bring in a talent that can deliver. This maybe obvious but Adele is the only artist I can think of right now who can deliver and compliment the class of the rumoured talent surrounding this film.
    My first thought was ; why waste Naomie Harris in a role like Moneypenny? I was looking forward of seeing her play Bond girl in one movie. Not in a small part like as Moneypenny. But more I think of it, I think she could make a great MP. Maybe even have some "thing" going between her and Bond. At least in the first movie. Not as a hands on field agent, but a part time flame. Could give us a peek into Bond's private life. Who knows.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    I don't care whether the actors are established big names or not. Both ways it could co grong or suit well... If the characters are well crafted and the director and the actors get the right approach to it (although I can only judge by mino oen student theatre experience), than a big name could be a great choice... And Bardem as well as Fiennes are two brilliant actors... And about Naomie Harris: If it had not been the Daily Mail who reports it ...
    My only curiosity now is whether Fiennes will play a good guy, bad guy, or good guy turned bad guy.
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    My only curiosity now is whether Fiennes will play a good guy, bad guy, or good guy turned bad guy.
    Please, no more traitor things in the Bond movies...
    But, otherwise it's great news and i hope it's true!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,441
    Funny :-)) Eon think about another Harris as Moneypenny. For a whyle i think about Jared Harris as Q and also about a way to introduce him. But don't know or i like the idea she playing Moneypenny, because of her age. I also thinking like some other people Villiers be the kind of new Moneypenny. When i heard from Naomi Harris i am thinking she going to play Felix his partner (as in partner or as in wife) or a woman in Jamacia if that be the case.

On imdb page of Bond 23 she is confirmd as Moneypenny, but this can be send by somebody with this news.

If so then i hope she wil get a introduce as like is be there already. Bond already know who she be.
    Why would she play a random Jamaican woman? Her heritage maybe Jamaican but she herself was born and raised in London. Also, Felix' wife?? Really?? *deep sigh* it's when I read stuff like this, I'm for the most part glad the producers tend not go along with what the fans want/suggest.
  • Why would she play a random Jamaican woman? Her heritage maybe Jamaican but she herself was born and raised in London. Also, Felix' wife?? Really?? *deep sigh* it's when I read stuff like this, I'm for the most part glad the producers tend not go along with what the fans want/suggest.
    Doubleoego - I'm always surprised when I hear some opinions that seem very...old school. Felix is played by a (partially) black man so if a black woman is cast in a Bond film then the assumption is that she must be Felix's wife? Seriously? People still think that in 2011 (for the record I have only two friends who have NOT been in inter-racial relationships)? But then I read some of the anger in comments about how Bond can't have a female boss, or anger about Bond's leading lady being his "equal" and I think, wow, the so-called progressive friends I hang out with really shelter me from the real world sometimes.

And to clarify, I'm not saying that EVERY person who doesn't like Dench's M has some gender role issues - I understand that some Fleming purists prefer an old Admiral like in the books from the 50s. But the language in some posts is so insulting and personal that I think that it's rather indictative that someone is venting about a larger issue that is VERY personal and important to them.

I just think there is a point where racism and a respect for how the character has always been differentiate. Should Bond always be white? Yes, that's how the character was created. But something as small as Moneypenny being black? I wouldn't mind at all.
    Why would she play a random Jamaican woman? Her heritage maybe Jamaican but she herself was born and raised in London. Also, Felix' wife?? Really?? *deep sigh* it's when I read stuff like this, I'm for the most part glad the producers tend not go along with what the fans want/suggest.
    Doubleoego - I'm always surprised when I hear some opinions that seem very...old school. Felix is played by a (partially) black man so if a black woman is cast in a Bond film then the assumption is that she must be Felix's wife? Seriously? People still think that in 2011 (for the record I have only two friends who have NOT been in inter-racial relationships)? But then I read some of the anger in comments about how Bond can't have a female boss, or anger about Bond's leading lady being his "equal" and I think, wow, the so-called progressive friends I hang out with really shelter me from the real world sometimes.

And to clarify, I'm not saying that EVERY person who doesn't like Dench's M has some gender role issues - I understand that some Fleming purists prefer an old Admiral like in the books from the 50s. But the language in some posts is so insulting and personal that I think that it's rather indictative that someone is venting about a larger issue that is VERY personal and important to them.

I hear that. It just goes to show that some people fail to understand the concept Fleming established. Bond is a man of the times, a contemporary character and although there are some old traits that imo are essential to the character and mythology there are other elements that should follow a natural and realistic progression whilst maintaining the magic of the original mythology. Some of these ignorant assumptions and blatant stereotypes of black actors or actors of colour for that matter is just so tragic to see when visiting these boards.

@doubleo, I couldn't agree more with you. But, people WILL be people.
    Naomie Harris is an interesting choice. Fiennes...well, wait and see...
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @ffolkes You are my fav new member !! I also have a pic of MOORE in FFOLKES as my avatar !! Ffolkes rocks !! :-bd :-bd
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    edited July 2011 Posts: 1,699
    I concur that Naomie Harris could well be a fine fit for the new Moneypenny. She's a good actress, is perfectly representative of modern Britain and cute as a button as opposed to - with all due respect to her lovely self - staggeringly beautiful...
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 2,598
    What I find strange is that if Harris is playing Moneypenny, and I'm not saying she isn't, why did her auditions involve scenes from QOS? She should have been doing scenes from the films that involved Penny. Maybe she just said QOS to throw people off if indeed this is the case.

I just hope she isn't a reincarnation of Samantha Bond's smart mouthed, annoying portrayal of the character. Still, if the film is anything like QOS or/and the Brosnan films then I won't care anyway.

I think Harris's looks are a bit above average which is appropriate for Penny. If she is M's new secretary then I think she's a good choice.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 3,494
    @ffolkes You are my fav new member !! I also have a pic of MOORE in FFOLKES as my avatar !! Ffolkes rocks !! :-bd :-bd
    I agree with you DC, strange as it may sound :-)) Sir Roger was great as Ffolkes, his performance I'd have to say was right there with his Bond appearances. And maybe better because the role is more out of character for him. I wish he had brought some of that serious edge to Bond.

For the record regarding Harris, I am a person sensitive to prejudice due to my choice of religion, and my earlier comments should not be construed as a racist opinion. I would prefer her getting shagged by Bond in more of a leading lady role, but if she gets the job as Penny, I will be willing to give her the chance to prove that she's right for the role.