James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

Got the e-mail today mine has been shipped here in the UK with 24 hour delivery.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    When do they release? Hopefully before October 6th. I'll try to swing a birthday wish to my parents and pass some cash to them to let them know I mean business. In all seriousness, this is the only thing I want for my birthday, Christmas, anything.
  • gt007gt007 Station G
    zb007 wrote:

These are absolutely amazing! They got me even more excited for the box set!

Can't wait to get it and finally start my Bond-athon! I've been waiting literally for ages to get all of them on Blu-Ray and do a proper marathon!
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    gt007 wrote:
    zb007 wrote:

These are absolutely amazing! They got me even more excited for the box set!

Can't wait to get it and finally start my Bond-athon! I've been waiting literally for ages to get all of them on Blu-Ray and do a proper marathon!
    Same here mate, same here.
  • the images are far too large to notice any blu ray comparison to dvd?
    Rip-off. I;ll stick to my Ultimate Edition Dvds thanks. If EON had made the effort to release a Quantum of Release Collectors Edition on Blu-Ray only I would probably have upgraded but as this hasn't happened I really cant be arsed parting with my hard earned.
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Rip-off. I;ll stick to my Ultimate Edition Dvds thanks. If EON had made the effort to release a Quantum of Release Collectors Edition on Blu-Ray only I would probably have upgraded but as this hasn't happened I really cant be arsed parting with my hard earned.

That should of course read "Quatum of Solace" although thinking about it " Quantum of Release" doesn't sound a bad little alternative title even if I do say so myself! To Eon, hands off, I have full copyright!

• edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    LeChiffre wrote:
    Rip-off. I;ll stick to my Ultimate Edition Dvds thanks.

That's how I feel. The UE editions are great, and no matter how awesome everybody thinks Blu Ray is, I don't see the point spending that much money when I have perfectly good DVDs.
  • LeChiffre wrote:

That's how I feel. The UE editions are great, and no matter how awesome everybody thinks Blu Ray is, I don't see the point spending that much money when I have perfectly good DVDs.

The UE DVD's do have very good quality when you watch them same upscaled on a decent sized HD TV with a bluray player. However - there is still a huge improvement in clarity and colour when you watch a bluray version. Sometimes its like seeing the film for the first time. When I watch films at home I project on a screen 10ft wide. At this size the bluray quality is incredible with fine film grain intact and the UE DVD is almost unwatchable....

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I think people must be blind if they don't see the difference, OHMSS was the one I was most salivating to see and it appears that my wait has been worth it, how can't some of you not see the difference, yes it's not so noticeable on TLD but there still is a sharpening of the picture from the UE DVD's, people who don't see are just in denial this isn't opinion it's fact maybe some of you should go and see an oculist.
  • Kananga wrote:
    Got the e-mail today mine has been shipped here in the UK with 24 hour delivery.
    Who did you order with? I have an order with amazon.co.uk and I haven't had a shipment email yet... :-(

• Shardlake wrote:
    I think people must be blind if they don't see the difference, OHMSS was the one I was most salivating to see and it appears that my wait has been worth it, how can't some of you not see the difference, yes it's not so noticeable on TLD but there still is a sharpening of the picture from the UE DVD's, people who don't see are just in denial this isn't opinion it's fact maybe some of you should go and see an oculist.

I don't think there's a huge difference no, and so I'm not going to spend close to £100 on films I already own.

Some people don't see the point in getting the new boxset. No need to get so upset over it.
    I'm not sure whether to get the new boxset as I already own all the (official) Bond movies in some form. Also I already have a boxset of seven of the films on blu-ray (DN, FRWL, GF, TB, LALD, FYEO and DAD).
  • edited September 2012 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'm not sure whether to get the new boxset as I already own all the (official) Bond movies in some form. Also I already have a boxset of seven of the films on blu-ray (DN, FRWL, GF, TB, LALD, FYEO and DAD).

Up to you of course, but I wouldn't bother. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are any amazing new special features or anything, just the quality is a bit better and you get a nice box. Not worth the money if you already have all the films imo.
  • Shardlake wrote:

Absolutely!...The difference in quality is like night and day......but again...i can understand people not wanting to fork out more money for an upgrade in picture quality...the bigger the screen the more noticable the difference between the UE and the bluray....however the DTS-HD master Audio soundtracks on the current blurays blow their DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 counterparts out of the water!...

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Shardlake wrote:

Absolutely!...The difference in quality is like night and day......but again...i can understand people not wanting to fork out more money for an upgrade in picture quality...the bigger the screen the more noticable the difference between the UE and the bluray....however the DTS-HD master Audio soundtracks on the current blurays blow their DVD Dolby Digital 5.1 counterparts out of the water!...

I'm not saying people should buy it but it seems a case of I'm not shelling out as I don't see it worth it or I can't afford therefore they've convinced themselves the upgrade isn't substantial when it certainly is, fair enough you don't think it's worth as you have the U.E's but they do blow your bog standard DVD's out the water in the case of YOLT & certainly OHMSS.
  • There are a number of films that I have already owned on DVD that I have upgraded and have no regrets. I have recently re-watched JAWS on bluray and its is incredible. Like watching a new film. The restoration is fantastic and compared to the DVD there is no competition. I only upgrade my favourite films and only if the bluray transfer is considered a vast improvement.....due to poor reviews there are certain blurays that I have avoided until a decent restoration/transfer becomes available.
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    This upgrade looks like GoldenEye is no longer cropped. Does the same apply for A View To A Kill? Has that film's deliberately shaky shot been put back in?
  • MrBondMrBond Station S
    Samuel001 wrote:
    This upgrade looks like GoldenEye is no longer cropped. Does the same apply for A View To A Kill? Has that film's deliberately shaky shot been put back in?

What are those shaky shots in AVTAK?
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    It's the shot when Bond boards the snowmobile which get shot at in the PTS. It was always deliberately shaky, until the 'restoration' for the UE DVD releases 'fixed' it.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Shardlake wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:

I'm not saying people should buy it but it seems a case of I'm not shelling out as I don't see it worth it or I can't afford therefore they've convinced themselves the upgrade isn't substantial when it certainly is, fair enough you don't think it's worth as you have the U.E's but they do blow your bog standard DVD's out the water in the case of YOLT & certainly OHMSS.

Theres no point in trying to persuade the luddites that they should upgrade if they dont want to. I bet they were gutted when they had to trade in their VHS players and cathode ray TVs as well.

I thought YOLT and OHMSS seemed very good but with TLD there is barely any difference.
    Why is it the 60s films look the best? Apart from CR and QOS the best bluray I have seen is DN.

Is it just because they are older so the contrast is more marked whereas the 80s films werent that bad to start with so dont benefit so much from the bluray treatment?
    edited September 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Is it just because they are older so the contrast is more marked whereas the 80s films werent that bad to start with so dont benefit so much from the bluray treatment?

From what I understand, this is the basic gist of it, yes.
    Has anyone seen this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Indiana-Complete-Adventures-Limited-Collectors/dp/B0089TGJ18/ref=sr_1_10?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1347491360&sr=1-10

Thats how to do it properly EON. Why dont us Bond fans get something like that?
    Kananga wrote:
    Who did you order with? I have an order with amazon.co.uk and I haven't had a shipment email yet... :-(

HMV, i had discount card with them so got it off them.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2012 Posts: 4,450
    zb007 wrote:

I don't think this kind of comparison work if there don't make smaller screenshots. BD is made with more pixels in mind then Dvd. On the way it is done now my SE looks better then the UE dvd.

If some one having bought this boxset and also own the UE on dvd and own a 32 inch/81cm tv then i like to see some screenshots directly from that tv.
  • zb007zb007 UK
    Kananga wrote:

Stupid question but did you asked for that or did they do it for you ???

• LeChiffre wrote:

I got my copy for 74 pounds, i think its cheap. When it was first announced, i thoguht it owuld be over 100, but its a decent price i think. its also 50th anniversary so i would have got it anyway. Theres only one 50th anniversary so this is quite limited.
    LeChiffre wrote:

I got my copy for 74 pounds, i think its cheap. When it was first announced, i thoguht it owuld be over 100, but its a decent price i think. its also 50th anniversary so i would have got it anyway. Theres only one 50th anniversary so this is quite limited.

£74 is good, I'm getting mine for £81, which works around £3.65 per film, and as I sold the old Blu's I owned (except CR and QOS) for £5 each at a car boot, its still miles cheaper than if I bought the new Blus individually!
    zb007 wrote:
    Kananga wrote:

They have chose the postage, It says it was despatched 20th sept with 24 hour delivery.

So I guess it's the same delivery for everyone who ordered?
  • zb007zb007 UK
    Kananga wrote:
    zb007 wrote:
    Kananga wrote:

They have chose the postage, It says it was despatched 20th sept with 24 hour delivery.

So I guess it's the same delivery for everyone who ordered?

Oh right well mine was dispatched on weds perhaps it might come tomorrow
  • Theres no point in trying to persuade the luddites that they should upgrade if they dont want to. I bet they were gutted when they had to trade in their VHS players and cathode ray TVs as well.

It's not that I think the DVDs are better quality, it's that I don't see the point in buying the whole boxset for £70-£100 when I already have all the films on DVD. f I only had one or two Bond films or none at all, then I'd buy this.

I'm getting the Indiana Jones boxset because I don't have The Last Crusade or Crystal Skull on DVD.