James Bond on Blu-ray/4K

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited August 2012 Posts: 4,043
    The Blu ray for all the Bond I've seen on the format is a great improvement, I know some say they can't see the difference between BR & DVD and what is all the fuss is about but to me a now 3 year BR veteran, I can tell straight away, BR leaves DVD standing when the restoration has been treated with great care and attention.

I've recently bought a new player with region free capability, the main reason for this is to take advantage of the Criterion Collection, I think brand new restorations of old classics get me excited than brand new blockbusters on the format, the thought of Rosemary's Baby in the format is one I'm greatly looking forward to.

As for me I've pre ordered the Bond 50 BR set as I've sold all my Bond Blu's bar CR Ultimate edition, hung onto that one as I didn't think they'd port all those extras over and I wasn't wrong to do so.

Really looking forward to watching the entries that haven't previously been available in the format with OHMSS being the real treat, thinking of saving it for Christmas Day , as it's the only Seasonal entry and also it takes me back to when a Bond film at Xmas was a special thing, plus also OHMSS is my favourite Bond film.

I'm not paying too much importance to the packaging it looks OK but I've never been one to throw a hissy fit over DVD or Blu ray packaging I think some of you put a little too much importance on this and for me it will be the films I've bought this for and not the card board it's wrapped in.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Shardlake wrote:
    The Blu ray for all the Bond I've seen on the format is a great improvement, I know some say they can't see the difference between BR & DVD and what is all the fuss is about but to me a now 3 year BR veteran, I can tell straight away, BR leaves DVD standing when the restoration has been treated with great care and attention.

As for me I've pre ordered the Bond 50 BR set as I've sold all my Bond Blu's bar CR Ultimate edition, hung onto that one as I didn't think they'd port all those extras over and I wasn't wrong to do so.

Really looking forward to watching the entries that haven't previously been available in the format with OHMSS being the real treat, thinking of saving it for Christmas Day , as it's the only Seasonal entry and also it takes me back to when a Bond film at Xmas was a special thing, plus also OHMSS is my favourite Bond film.

I'm not paying too much importance to the packaging it looks OK but I've never been one to throw a hissy fit over DVD or Blu ray packaging I think some of you put a little too much importance on this and for me it will be the films I've bought this for and not the card board it's wrapped in.

Same here, really looking forward to seeing OHMSS on BD. I have also kept my Deluxe Edition of CR for the same reason. I quite like the Bond 50 packaging (think I'm the only one!) and as you say it's what's on the disc that counts. It's getting closer…
  • Samuel001Samuel001 Moderator
    Shardlake wrote:
    I've sold all my Bond Blu's bar CR Ultimate edition, hung onto that one as I didn't think they'd port all those extras over and I wasn't wrong to do so.

They'll all be on the new edition so only Die Another Day is lacking in features still.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Samuel001 wrote:
    Shardlake wrote:
    I've sold all my Bond Blu's bar CR Ultimate edition, hung onto that one as I didn't think they'd port all those extras over and I wasn't wrong to do so.

They'll all be on the new edition so only Die Another Day is lacking in features still.

I thought CR was only the one disc edition and has it been confirmed it will be the 15 certificate edition in the Bond 50 set, I'm not really bothered about DAD I doubt I'll ever watch that film again.
  • edited August 2012 Posts: 2,598
    Why do some of the covers merely have a blend of colours behind the Bond actor? ( http://www.mi6-hq.com/sections/articles/collecting_dvd_uk_2012.php3?s=collecting&id=03258 ) To me, this seems like pure laziness. Why can't they have a nice image from the film behind every actor. I wish the individual blue rays had the same design as this collection ( http://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Let-Die-Roger-Moore/dp/B00004SH4Q/ref=sr_1_10?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1346137977&sr=1-10 ) as it seems unlikely that they'll come up with decent designs again. The designs for this collection are really nice as they have an interesting image from the film and they take up most of the cover.

Muddyw wrote:
    These covers are really ugly! I'd prefer the original poster draw lay outs. That would've been the best hommage to classic Bond.
    I find it a bit pathetic how most covers suddenly show Bond in a CR/QOS pose.
    But, as @Shardlake points out, it´s the films that count. The box front will anyhow not be seen as soon as the br is stored in the shelf ;-).

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    The first link that @Bounine posted, are those the blu-ray designs as well as the upcoming UK re-release DVD designs?
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    edited August 2012 Posts: 642
    Is it really too much to ask?..These look FANtasatic, check all these out.

http://www.customaniacs.org/forum/custom-blu-ray-covers/172670-her-majestys-secret-service.html

Come on Fox/Sony/MGM/EON (maybe thats the issue..too many companies)

:-(
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    Creasy47 wrote:
    The first link that @Bounine posted, are those the blu-ray designs as well as the upcoming UK re-release DVD designs?

Yes. All individual releases will now use the new cover designs, it appears.
  • Well, I did my own version, but it's more based on the Doctor Who covers that came out for Region 1 DVD, and this is the only one I made so far. Check this out!!!

424369_10150581540874598_712285862_n.jpg
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well, I did my own version, but it's more based on the Doctor Who covers that came out for Region 1 DVD, and this is the only one I made so far. Check this out!!!

424369_10150581540874598_712285862_n.jpg

Where did you find the VHS cover art without the text and stuff?
  • RC7RC7
    BBC? :-/
  • @Murdock amphibiousdesigns.co.uk at the templates section
    @RC7 Yes, I was using that as a what if situation where what would happend if the BBC bought out MGM. Just a threory.
    @Murdock amphibiousdesigns.co.uk at the templates section
    @RC7 Yes, I was using that as a what if situation where what would happend if the BBC bought out MGM. Just a threory.

I'm sorry, I should have been more specific. Where did you find the VHS cover arts for the James Bond movies without the text?
  • Oh, I had to look on Google (Good Thing I had my Avast! on) and I got them from a site that was most likely infected by a virus. With the protection on, I managed to quickly copy and got out of there. Do you want me to share the image?
    Oh, I had to look on Google (Good Thing I had my Avast! on) and I got them from a site that was most likely infected by a virus. With the protection on, I managed to quickly copy and got out of there. Do you want me to share the image?

Yes please. I've been looking for the Classic 1990's VHS cover arts.
    I'd love to have those covers too. They're some of the best done yet.
    The only one I have is for You Only Live Twice.

15590_zhivesh-tolko-dvazhdy_or_you-only-live-twice_1600x1200_(www.GdeFon.ru).jpg
  • HMBFFHMBFF Lisboa, Portugal
    edited August 2012 Posts: 204
    http://www.movieposterdb.com
    This is the best website to find any kind of posters, covers and artworks from films all around the world. There you'll find all kinds of Bond artwork and most of the times in high resolution.
  • Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land

http://www.customaniacs.org/forum/custom-blu-ray-covers/172670-her-majestys-secret-service.html

Those are pretty awesome. I wish there was a way to print them out and replace the official ones with those. :P
  • @Monsieur_Aubergine Could you put up the OHMSS cover for us? Thanks!
  • Monsieur_AubergineMonsieur_Aubergine Top of the Eiffel Tower with a fly in my soup!
    ^sorry jamesbond1988, I am on smartphone and cant actually work out how to fully post the image, you will have to go through the link. Artemis1981 if you subscribe to the site you can get them alll and print them out, im doing just that and ive ordered 22 Amaray cases to package them, the Bond 50 box can then be stored for posterity. ;-)
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'

Superb. Thats all we want - the poster on the cover. I'm so tired of just a generic publicity shot of Bond holding a gun for every single film. Put that on the back if you must but whats wrong with just the poster pure and simple? Although that said by and large the posters since TLD have been pretty lacklustre (honourable exceptions DAD teaser and CR teaser).

Its rather arrogant of some non-entity graphic designer at MGM to think he can do a better job than Robert McGinnis and Frank Mccarthy.

• Artemis81Artemis81 In Christmas Land
    Artemis1981 if you subscribe to the site you can get them alll and print them out, im doing just that and ive ordered 22 Amaray cases to package them, the Bond 50 box can then be stored for posterity. ;-)
    Cool, thanks.

Further special features news;

http://commanderbond.net/14874/bond50-blu-ray-update.html

Some DAD features dropped and CR gets rid of storyboards but all else in tact.
    edited August 2012 Posts: 13,350
    It's a shame if the little location features for the first 20 films aren't part of the set anymore. Why can't they give us everything? Is it that difficult? I can't work out what the problem may be.
    When will they make 'Inside' documentaries for the Brosnan/Craig era? The Craig BRs lack in special features...I hope that in a years time they don't release another box set with more features...(This is the sort of thing EON will do)
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I was meaning to ask this, as well: with the big Bond 50 blu-ray set coming out next month, are the blu-rays going to be the normal sized cases, or the shrunken versions, like the DVD box set released a few years ago?
    ^i believe they are not actually boxed but sit in individual sleeves in the two volumes contained in the box. The actual stand alones will be 12mm amaray cases.