OMEGA appreciation thread (formerly Reliable Omega replica watches?)

Comments

• bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @DonnyDB5, joinwatches.org has one, but I can't recommend these replicas personally, being an owner of the real deal. I understand cost may be a factor, but the genuine article is really a work of art, and the real reason for the cost is the movement, which you won't get with the replica.
    @DonnyDB5, my searches all ended with my reading how the replicas don't last very long and wind up being not worth the expense. I wound up buying my son a Casio diver's watch for Christmas and getting a Connery Bond Nato strap off eBay for $12 I think. Now he has the Goldfinger look for a fraction of the cost! I'm slowly trying to save for the real deal, but...it's gonna take a while.
  • JET007, I'm honoured that you were inspired by my Submariner saga. Haven't visited this forum in quite some time, I have to say. To give you some background, I sold Omega wristwatches at an Authorised Dealer here in Australia from 2001 to 2012. I used to get a few customers who would tell me of how their replica Rolex, Omega, TAG Heuer, etc had given them years of faithful service with no issues whatsoever.
    HOWEVER...there's one thing that you don't get with a replica watch- aside from that deep down feeling in your gut that you're wearing a fake- and that is you don't get a watch that will last long enough for you to hand it down as an heirloom.
    Customers would ask me; "Why are these watches so expensive?", and I would always answer; "Because your son will be wearing it when he's an old, old man." Provided, of course, that the watch is serviced at regular intervals (every five years. It's a machine, dammit!) and looked after.
    And make no mistake. You are paying for the name on the dial as well. A well-made watch from a reputable brand gives you something else; it gives you a wristwatch whose company will still have parts available twenty, thirty, fifty years later. This is something that you won't get from a Fossil or Hugo Boss watch purchased at a shopping centre.
    I may sound like a salesman, but I was a watch collector (still am) before I began selling them.
    Yes, these things are expensive. I'll be the first to say that. But, can you think of any item you own that you've had for twenty years or more, that was with you during the important or major milestones of your life?
    That's one reason why I wear a mechanical watch. The longer you have one, the more it becomes a part of who you are. (There I go again).

If you ever have the means, JET007, then get one, but buy it perhaps for yourself first. Then pass it down to your son. It'll have a little more history attached to it then.
    Best of luck!

Here are my (real) Bond watches. I think I'm done. (He said hopefully)

CR4ybn2UkAAwl6l.jpg:large
    edited February 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Beautiful pieces @teeritz. I have the same Planet Ocean as you do (42mm) and just picked up a Skyfall 38.5mm (I think I have one of the last because that model has been discontinued), and probably have to sell the Planet Ocean to fund it. I also have an Hour Vision.

I've always wanted a Sub, but the price point is just way out of my league. Have to work a little harder a I guess.
  • Yes, the 5513 was on my hit list for 40 years (I became a Bond and Submariner fan quite young). Shame that you have to shift the PO to find the AquaTerra. Sure there's no way you can keep them both? That's the salesman in me talking.
    I've been debating keeping the PO. In all honesty, while I do like the face design very much, I find the bracelet on the heavy side, so I nearly always wear it on a NATO, which kind of limits its use for me.

Bottom line - when it comes to diving watches, I'd love to get my hands on a new Sub Ceramic one day, and so a part of me wants to just save up for that one.
  • Keep saving, then. Always better to go for the one you really want. Better to have watches that get worn.
    Yes, I fully agree - learnt that the hard way from experience.

The Skyfall and Hour Vision are keepers for me. One day, the Sub will join them. Used to have a Bond Seamaster many years back and also a Railmaster, but sold both of those along the way.
  • I have a Railmaster. Wearing it now. This one's a keeper. However, I need to take a serious look at my collection and cull it down to a reasonable level. I've got some watches that never see daylight.
    Something tells me my son is not going to want to inherit a watch collection in double figures.
    teeritz wrote: »
    Something tells me my son is not going to want to inherit a watch collection in double figures.
    Ha ha. You never know. They are only going up in price every year, so it could be a very valuable collection & inheritance at some point. I agree though, best to keep it to a reasonable number which you wear in regular rotation. They've all got to get some love.

The Railmaster is a classic. I sold it for what I paid for it 4 yrs earlier (which was basically list). I only got rid of it because I need the date on my watches. The Skyfall will serve as its replacement from the Aqua Terra line.
    teeritz wrote: »
    JET007, I'm honoured that you were inspired by my Submariner saga. Haven't visited this forum in quite some time, I have to say. To give you some background, I sold Omega wristwatches at an Authorised Dealer here in Australia from 2001 to 2012. I used to get a few customers who would tell me of how their replica Rolex, Omega, TAG Heuer, etc had given them years of faithful service with no issues whatsoever.
    HOWEVER...there's one thing that you don't get with a replica watch- aside from that deep down feeling in your gut that you're wearing a fake- and that is you don't get a watch that will last long enough for you to hand it down as an heirloom.
    Customers would ask me; "Why are these watches so expensive?", and I would always answer; "Because your son will be wearing it when he's an old, old man." Provided, of course, that the watch is serviced at regular intervals (every five years. It's a machine, dammit!) and looked after.
    And make no mistake. You are paying for the name on the dial as well. A well-made watch from a reputable brand gives you something else; it gives you a wristwatch whose company will still have parts available twenty, thirty, fifty years later. This is something that you won't get from a Fossil or Hugo Boss watch purchased at a shopping centre.
    I may sound like a salesman, but I was a watch collector (still am) before I began selling them.
    Yes, these things are expensive. I'll be the first to say that. But, can you think of any item you own that you've had for twenty years or more, that was with you during the important or major milestones of your life?
    That's one reason why I wear a mechanical watch. The longer you have one, the more it becomes a part of who you are. (There I go again).

If you ever have the means, JET007, then get one, but buy it perhaps for yourself first. Then pass it down to your son. It'll have a little more history attached to it then.
    Best of luck!

Here are my (real) Bond watches. I think I'm done. (He said hopefully)

CR4ybn2UkAAwl6l.jpg:large

That's a great picture, @Teeritz! And thanks again!

Would you recommend going for a vintage, or just keep saving for one of the new anti-magnetics? I know the Seamaster hasn't gotten one yet (unless I missed an announcement at Baselworld) and the last time I was at a boutique, they were speaking highly of the anti magnetic properties, especially for someone at a computer desk job for 12 hours at a time.
    Was watching Goldeneye with my kids for the first time, the very movie that sparked my Omega obsession, and I was wondering, why did they go with a quartz model for the movie? Was that the only one Omega made at the time? They switched to the automatic movement after that for the rest of Brosnan's run, so I was curious.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Here's snother shot of my SM300mc

20160121_192502-1-1.jpg
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Beautiful as hell. I need to get my hands on one of those.
    Cheers. I've had it for about a year now and it's still as stunning as the day I bought it.
    @doubleoego, I see you added Omega's NATO strap! looks very sharp! How does it compare to the old one you had on it?
    Beautiful piece @doubleoego. I like the ceramic bezel on these, and they have very clean, minimalist lines. If they glowed 'red' at night that would definitely complete the Bond look.
    JET007 wrote: »
    @doubleoego, I see you added Omega's NATO strap! looks very sharp! How does it compare to the old one you had on it?

I got it back in January and it feels great. Super comfortable and you can feel the strength and durability of tge strap. Its definitely better than the other nato strap I had. Still, I think the omega nato strap is overpriced but hey, it's only money, right?

bondjames wrote: »
    Beautiful piece @doubleoego. I like the ceramic bezel on these, and they have very clean, minimalist lines. If they glowed 'red' at night that would definitely complete the Bond look.

It really is a gorgeous piece and part of its beauty is down to its simplicity.

edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Here are my toys. A tad overindulgent perhaps, but I see them as investments (I buy them secondhand normally and try to scout out deals).

One for when I feel like Connery/Moore/Laz/Dalts, one for when I feel like Skyfall Craig & one for my Clooney fix (Hour Vision - which he wore in Up In The Air and is also known to sport personally). Can't tell which I prefer, but the classic Submariner is probably the front runner for comfort due to the 'hollow' links making it a lot lighter, the pronounced bracelet taper, and because I like the date magnifier.

IMG_3126a.jpg
    @bondjames, that's a gorgeous collection you have there. Furthermore, it's good to see them looking in prestine condition. You can never go wrong with a classic Rolex sub; the hour vision is such a classy and understated piece and the SF AT is just sublime. (Seeing yours makes me miss the days from when I used to own one).

Which of your pieces gets the most wrist time?

You also make a valid and sensible point, regarding buying second hand if these pieces are bought more from the view as an investment. You save and don't take a ridiculous hit when it comes time to flipping them for something else. Afterall, it's an expensive hobby. Buying second pieces is something I'm going to really start seriously looking into as there are a number of pieces I want and will eventually flip for others but at the cost of full retail? No way.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Thanks @doubleoego. Much appreciated.

As I mentioned a while back, I've been in the watch collecting game for a while. I've made my share of mistakes along the way (meaning I've bought something that I liked initially and then changed my mind and switched it out much sooner than I wanted). I think I've got to a stage of comfort in the process now, so I know what to look for and which kind of pieces I would more likely end up holding onto.

Bottom line though is I've never lost much money on a sale of a watch recently since I buy them used now, and have actually made money on a few sales (like my Railmaster and my Planet Ocean, which I sold this year to fund the purchase of the Rolex and Skyfall Omega). Prices keep going up, so they are decent investments - although Rolex on average have far superior resale value due to a larger collector market.

My favourite at the moment is probably the Rolex Submariner (my first Rolex and a model I've wanted for such a long time due to the Bond association) - it's just such a classic design and not too showy.

It's a toss up between the two Omegas. They are both quite different and great pieces in their own way. I know you used to have the Skyfall, so you know what a great watch that is, with a beautiful 3D effect dial. The Hour Vision gets a lot of looks on account of the case shape, which is highly tapered, and the high gloss shine (due to the 18K white gold markers and hands).

I bought two Wolf watch winders (again second hand) from a collector and that allows me to wear all three watches on constant rotation without 'losing time' or having to put any stress on the winding components. I recommend it if you have a few pieces.
    You clearly have it pretty much sussed and have a firm grasp of the hobby.

When you're able to make money when trading in pieces thats where the thrill and excitement have you rubbing your hands together like someone about to take over the world. Sounds like the sub was a grail piece for you and I'm glad you got it. There's a certain degree of satisfaction and a sense of accomplishment when you get that long sought after piece that gives you a feeling like no other.

I'm not surprised your hour vision gets a lot of notice. It's such a unique looking watch that catches the eye.
    When I start growing my collection again I'll definitely look into a watch winder.
    Swung by the authorized dealer to window shop yesterday and inquired about NATO straps as I'd like to have one at the ready for the day I do get an Omega. I figured with Father's Day and my birthday right around the corner this month, maybe I could talk the fiance into letting me have one! Anyways, the sales person didn't seem all that knowledgeable and she had to ask one of her associates, who thought it would be $485! I was a little floored as I thought they were in the $200 range. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be getting an official Omega strap in the near future!
    No way an OEM strap costs almost half a grand! The sales staff you spoke to must have been either drunk or high. Here in the UK they go for £140/ £150.
    I called the boutique in Dallas and they quoted me $170, so yeah, they were probably drunk or high!
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    I still think it's too expensive an endeavour but if I were to choose one, would it be wiser to have the standard watch he wears in a movie, or the Spectre Seamaster Aqua Terra with the coat of arms on the hand (which I really like). It would be one I wear daily, I feel the Aqua Terra is too precious to be wearing everyday
    I personally can't stand those "limited edition" gimmicky watches. If you want an Aqua Terra get any of the standard models and considering the money involved that you're willing to spend, I'd recommend the standard Aqua Terra Master Coaxial, it's a gorgeous watch. I had the SF Aqua Terra and I wore that daily as it's a watch suitable for any occasion as opposed to more dressier watches...BUT if you like the limited edition version more then go for that. It's your preference, your money and your happiness.

Pics yanked from Google

d1f2c8d4b107d57094528dfab9187a01.jpg

DSC03652COPY.jpg
  • While I love these watches they are presently well out of my reach, I know there are plenty of options out there for homages etc (I came across the Lorus on this forum) but I just wanted to share the models I have purchased to at least have something of the "look", each of these cost me between €40 and €60 and might offer some inspiration to those on a tighter budget. Omega_Homage.jpg
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    edited December 2016 Posts: 1,756
    The best alternative for me would be a SKX or SNZF Seiko. Maybe a squale if you wasn't something a bit different.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    An interesting video about a very Bond-looking Seiko;