You Only Live Twice vs. Moonraker vs. Die Another Day

12346»

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Of those three, undoubtedly YOLT.
    Of the three, I would probably select "DIE ANOTHER DAY".
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    YOLT>DAD>MR
  • ForYourEyesOnlyForYourEyesOnly In the untained cradle of the heavens
    YOLT is the best by some margin. Then the other two are basically neck-and-neck.
    I'd rank them thus

1. You Only Live Twice
    2. Moonraker
    3. Die Another Day
  • JohnHammond73JohnHammond73 Lancashire, UK
    Well, in my last ranking I had these in this order:

You Only Live Twice
    Moonraker
    Die Another Day

Apart from DAD, the other 2 could easily change places. Always thought YOLT was ok, despite SC looking bored with role and I think MR is a good bit of fun, with some seriously great moments.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited February 2016 Posts: 6,788
    YOLT by a long stretch.

For the simple reason that despite its ridiculous nature it never crosses that border that the other two cross with pigeon double takes, ridiculing Jaws, tsunami surfing, Robocop suits and bad puns.

I think YOLT is the perfect example how to make a ridiculous Bond film work. TSWLM is another one.
    GoldenGun wrote: »

I think YOLT is the perfect example how to make a ridiculous Bond film work. TSWLM is another one.

Well, YOLT and TSWLM are very similar in plot, villains, etc.

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    Exactly, they are fun escapist, exotic adventures, but without being too ridiculous. More than any other director Gilbert could give his Bond films a real epic scope. Pity MR was so poorly written.
    GoldenGun wrote: »
    Exactly, they are fun escapist, exotic adventures, but without being too ridiculous. More than any other director Gilbert could give his Bond films a real epic scope. Pity MR was so poorly written.

Precisely. They pushed Bond to the edge, but not over. We know what it would be like if Bond is pushed over the edge - see Moonraker.

Gilbert's Bonds were indeed the largest-scale, and I admire his films for that.