You Only Live Twice vs. Moonraker vs. Die Another Day

Comments

• I'd rate them YOLT, then MR, thennnnnnnnnnnnnnn.....DAD.

YOLT trumps the other two for many reasons. Reason #1- Connery, Connery, Connery. Two, the most beautiful girl of all Bond girls (to me), the "Brigitte Bardot" of Japan, Mie Hama. Three, we finally see Blofeld. Four, the magnificent volcano set. Five, well I guess everyone who agrees will get it. Compared to others in the series, I consider YOLT middle of the pack or so but I'll always love the movie and will always be happy to watch it when I do.

• To your first point, I've only ever seen the TV commercials for AVTAK. A friend of mine, who was a bit of a Moore apologist, admitted that as much as he thought Moore was far too old for Bond BEFORE he saw AVTAK, seeing that film really put him off. I've seen bits and pieces of TMWTGG on TV and didn't like what I saw - other than Britt Ekland's bikini...;-)

The interesting thing is that I got into Bond when it was basically a Connery vs Moore situation...a classic example of young guys thinking that they're only allowed to like one of two things. All the guys at my school LOVED Connery when we first saw the GF and DAF double feature but they quickly jumped to Moore when they saw his films because they were new and exciting, and more "in style" and current.

As much as I loved Bond when I was young (which describes every guy) I had really written the films off by the time of Moore's retirement. I hadn't really thought they would make the films any differently than the Moore films, and when Brosnan's name was first bandied about I thought that confirmed that the "Moore style" was the permanent style of the Bond films. I did like Brosnan as Remington Steele, but he seemed FAR too lightweight for Bond, even as a Moore clone.

I had heard when Dalton was cast but when I heard his resume I was only surprised, not excited. A "Shakespearean actor" as Bond? Wow, weird choice. Then I saw him on the cover of a magazine (GQ?) and thought well, he's kind of strange looking but wow, he's a lot younger than Moore. And he certainly looks a lot more like Fleming's Bond. Then the good reviews for his performance came in and I saw TLD, my third Bond film in a theatre (after OP and NSNA). I was blown away by Dalton, and although the film wasn't a classic like the ones from the 60s it was a huge improvement over what I had seen of the Moore years. Reading that Dalton read all of Fleming inspired me to read the books which I had tried at 12 years of age - and hated. I quickly read all of the books and gained even more appreciation for his performance. When LTK came out I was shocked - I thought it was so "different" that it took me a couple of days to decide what I thought about it (I realized that I loved it). I was very upset when Dalton's third film was delayed - I figured it would be his GF or TSWLM.

When Brosnan was cast I was surprised - for some reason I thought his time was past. I worried again that his performance would be more like Moore's but I was actually quite impressed with him in GE - although some of that had to do with REALLY low expectations. I thought Campbell directed him quite well and even made him convincingly tough, although at times he seemed to be playing Remington Steele rather than Bond. But he grew on me, and I thought he got better and more comfortable with each film.

The funny thing is, as soon as I saw what Craig did with the role in CR there was an immediate, retroactive diminishment of Brosnan in my mind. Craig's conviction, his presence, his interesting line readings, his wide range of emotions - it was a revelation to see what a great actor could do with the role. I still really like Brosnan, and he switches with Dalton on my list of Bonds:

1) SC
    2) DC
    3/4) tie or often switching places - TD/PB
    5) GL
    6) RM

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's hard to take a Moore film seriously when I realized at 18 that if I met Moore's Bond at the height of his powers in a dark alley, he would fear me, not the other way around. That's not what I want out of Bond.

I can't say I've never had that feeling when I was younger, doubting the silly grandpa Bond all the way. But I must admit that even those three films - especially MR - grant me a lot of satisfaction. (And nowadays I love Moore's Bond too!) Still, sir, I very much recommend you watch them. You may not like them but then at least you will have seen all 22 Bond films ever made. Isn't that something you desire? Furthermore, MR and AVTAK feature some of John Barry's best musical work and MR has surprisingly attractive women to offer. Ah never mind, I could list up several reasons why you ought to watch these films but the fact that you will otherwise never have completed the list of Bonds may be, IMO, the strongest point.

• TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    edited July 2011 Posts: 9,117
    I can't comment on relative merits as I've never seen MR (or MWTGG or AVTAK) but I think the hatred DAD is getting is pretty excessive. For all the faults of the second half the first part (up until Iceland) is pretty great. Sure, it's got the invisible car but MR has laser rifle battle in outer space with trained space Marines (!) and YOLT has 6'2" Scottish Connery passing for Japanese with a (barely) different toupee and eye makeup (and since when does a ninja wear light grey?!).

Like the average Daily Mail reader who went apoplectic with rage over Brasseye or Andrew Sachsgate without seeing or hearing them thelordflasheart renders his arguments without any substance whatsover with his first sentence. Not exactly sure why you take against Moore so badly but for you passing information (steady on old chap - better redraft all of this)* although theyre far from perfect theres more Fleming Bond in TMWTGG, MR and AVTAK than a hundred DADs a film which you have not only seen ahead of these but actually go so far as to defend as 'pretty great'? Go figure.

As one of the few on here who has managed the Herculean task of seeing all the films I can inform you that DAD is not just a poor Bond film, its a poor film period.

And as actonsteve eloquently outlined DAD is woeful from the start not just after it reaches Iceland (although for me the moment Jinx hoves into view is when the film is fatally holed below the waterline - up until that point it is still salavageable).

The hovercraft chase is another dull Vic Armstrongs by the numbers overchoreographed Universal Studios live action stunt show for the family (dont get me wrong I have a lot of respect for Vic but hes not a director and hes not particularly creative). The Cuba scenes are decent for about 5 mins and then we have Jinx, an idiot trying to disguise himself by changing race but not bothering to think he might still be recognisable by the load of easily removable diamonds embedded in his face, more Jinx and a godawful CGI dive.
    I'm also not buying that the swordfight is a stunning action scene. Its serviceable but again overchoreographed and honestly would Flemings Bond kick off in the middle of a gents club? I think not. Would have much preferred a proper fencing scene with the villain rigging the machine or something rather than this shoehorning in of another action scene.

There are 3 decent moments in the first half of the film - Bond walking into the hotel, catching the gun as it falls off the MRI scanner and kicking the foil into the camera. Honourable mention too to the surfing sequence which doesnt get any recognition but is practically the only stuntwork done for real in the whole film. DAD is dross from start to finish and the only reason the first half is regarded as good is the 2nd half jumps the shark so badly it just seems that way but its all relative. The first half is better but not good.

The pan across the roof top set to Barrys music in YOLT and the PTS (Jaws aside) and Derek Meddings effects for the shuttle launches (again set to Barrys music) in MR are better than DAD in its entirety. I would even go as far to say to Flash that you ought to get hold of a copy of MR ASAP as if you mentally erase the awful moments (and they are just moments - not sustained misery like DAD) such as Jaws flapping, the pigeon, the hovercraft, Jaws & Dolly then there are more Flemingesque moments than DAF, LALD, TSWLM, and any of the Brozzas including your beloved DAD all of which presumably you have seen.
    The astonishing PTS, the centrifuge, the death of Corinne, the death of the scientists are all played dead straight and are pretty dark. Even the space scenes are by and large done straight and are pretty well within the realms of scientific possibility. I'll agree with your contention that it is a whole different animal to FRWL and OHMSS but then so are YOLT and the lamentable DAF which you dont appear to have a problem with.
    Whilst I am a devoted Fleming Bond fan, I can happily turn my brain off from time to time and thoroughly enjoy a YOLT or a MR as they do offer pure entertainment, whereas even with your brain switched off DAD is an insult.

At the very least you are missing out on some of John Barrys best work by imposing this rather irrational ban on yourself. The space scenes are beautifully scored and his rendition of AVTAKs theme song as the airship approaches he Golden Gate bridge is epic.

At least the fact that you are a Blackadder fan fills me with hope that you are not beyond redemption but why not lighten up and give Moore another go as theres plenty of juicy nuggets of Bondishness in MR, AVTAK and even TMWTGG that are well worth your perusal. But not DAD.

* just in case anyone thinks I'm being excessively obnoxious towards thelordflasheart, whilst thats true the intelligent amongst you should recognise the literary allusion.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I would even go as far to say to Flash that you ought to get hold of a copy of MR ASAP as if you mentally erase the awful moments (and they are just moments - not sustained misery like DAD) such as Jaws flapping, the pigeon, the hovercraft, Jaws & Dolly then there are more Flemingesque moments than DAF, LALD, TSWLM, and any of the Brozzas including your beloved DAD all of which presumably you have seen.
    Well yes I think you are being a little bit provocative here Wiz. Flashy isn't claiming he loves DAD, he simply gave a considered and low key defence of the film against claims that it 'raped' the franchise etc. And I stand by him. In 1979 MR was accused of the same, and it's easy to argue that for every serious moment in MR there is a serious moment in DAD. For every ridiculous action performed by Brosnan's Bond in DAD there is also one in MR (shooting the sniper out of the tree?)
    We don't have to all love one or the other, simply accept that we don't all feel the same way.

And I don't rate DAD that much, I just thaink that the almost aggressive anti-DAD feelings are intimidating and anyone with a more measured opinion will get shouted down.
  • edited July 2011 Posts: 11,189
    I don't mean to add any flames to the fire but theres arguably a bit more of a link to fleming in DAD than MR. As bad as Die became the whole "changing identity" story (a key part of the films plot) came from the MR book - albeit in a slightly less silly way. Also the idea of Bond being captured by the Koreans, tortured and then exchanged could be interpreted as similar to Bond being brainwashed and then released by the Soviets.

Apologies WIZARD but I do really like the sword sequence. Yes its again silly and "un-Fleminglike" but would his character really drive through Venice in an adapted hovercraft? I think not. I'm going to go a step further and say I'd actually take the fencing scene over the gondola hovercraft sequence. Its one of the very few high points of DAD (despite the proceeding Madonna cameo). It's classically filmed, well staged and memorable.

Both films have made me cringe heavily in the past and thus both aren't ranked that highly in my mind. However MR is still the better film of the two IMO simply because of Michael Lonsdale and the SFX. Die does have some good qualities (a good performance from Pierce and the q workshop scene to name 2). However it also has some VERY bad ones.

In regard to MR I do think people are being a little bit too kind to that one. It seems to be made out to be a great entry on this site but it really isn't THAT great IMO.

Apologies WIZARD but I do really like the sword sequence. Yes its again silly and "un-Fleminglike" but would his character really drive through Venice in an adapted hovercraft? I think not. I'm going to go a step further and say I'd actually take the fencing scene over the gondola hovercraft sequence. Its one of the very few high points of DAD. It's classically filmed, well staged and memorable.

The difference is I never said the the gondola scene was Flemingesque and I agree its a travesty which turns into as big a farce as anything in DAD.

Fair points about DAD being genetically closer to MR the book than the film of MR is. The fact that they were using (however loosely) one of Flemings best books as a template makes it an even bigger travesty that it turned out as it did.

The point here is that my defence of MR or my ‘letting it off lightly’ is being done so only in relation to the competition it is up against. If it comes to MR v FRWL or OHMSS then obviously MR is poor but invisible cars, Jinx, the villain in a cartoon Robocop suit and more CGI than Transformers are in a whole different ballpark to space shuttles (which actually exist!) and momentary aberrations such as pigeons and circus tents.
  • YOLT

(gap)

MR

(humungous gap)

DAD
    14. YOLT

18. MR

22. DAD
    I don't mean to add any flames to the fire but theres arguably a bit more of a link to fleming in DAD than MR. As bad as Die became the whole "changing identity" story (a key part of the films plot) came from the MR book - albeit in a slightly less silly way. Also the idea of Bond being captured by the Koreans, tortured and then exchanged could be interpreted as similar to Bond being brainwashed and then released by the Soviets.

In regard to MR I do think people are being a little bit too kind to that one. It seems to be made out to be a great entry on this site but it really isn't THAT great IMO.
    It may have been the idea to source Fleming at the beginning and you can see the kernal of the book MR there - ie member of the establishment turning on Britain and,er - well, thats it.

But it seemed to morph into something the epitome of ghastliness.

One day when Purvis and Wade are in their dotage and Tamhori has ascended to the great cross-dressing toilet in the sky we are going to find out how much they did change. Invisible cars? Gene therapy? Laser satellites?

But the worse thing about it is that the charm has gone. It almost is a parody of a Bond film with enough naff innuendo to sink a Carry On film. In fact Tamahori alluded the Bond films to the Carry on films. The Bond films have always sent themselves up but have always done it with abit of class. DAD just doesnt have it. It tries for classic Bond but misses every time.

As for being not hard enough on MR.? It has faults - big ones. Ones that almost sink it but the charm ladled on by Cubby, Lewis and Roger does tend to make it more forgivable.

MT is like a big old english sheepdog - knocking you down with its friendliness. DAD is like an incontinent daschaund shitting all over the floor.

• LudsLuds MIA
    But the worse thing about it is that the charm has gone. It almost is a parody of a Bond film with enough naff innuendo to sink a Carry On film. In fact Tamahori alluded the Bond films to the Carry on films. The Bond films have always sent themselves up but have always done it with abit of class. DAD just doesnt have it. It tries for classic Bond but misses every time.
    Lack of charm and class is DAD's biggest problem. Many flicks have terrible issues with cast, and story, but at least there's Fleming or Cubby's soul in it. DAD is soulless and classless.

• HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    edited July 2011 Posts: 4,399
    Die Another Day should've been retitled "Nostalgia Never Dies"... as it literally felt like a 2 hour field trip through every campy and cheesy moment in Bond's 40 years (at that point) - but before starting this magical mystery tour, you took a hit of acid..

I never thought about the loose ties to the plot of the novel Moonraker and this film - but I still don't think that it gives any more reason to have a pass over the film Moonraker - just because there are some loose ties to Fleming's work... almost every film up to a certain point had some connection to Fleming's work, but I never heard them getting that little bit of a pass - just because there seems to be more Fleming Bond in DAD than MR..... which I have to contest in this instance..... while yes, it may have those connections, the complete lunacy of this film bastardized those connections, at least to me it does.... and the plot holes in this film are often times so big, you could parasail 100 CGI Brosnans through 'em..

Beyond being just a horrific mishmash of 5 different (previously used) plot elements, that were thrown into a CGI blender.... it literally felt like I was watching a generic, run of the mill disaster flick, with James Bond thrown in the mix - if you get my meaning.... it was devoid of any real wit and charm like other posters said above... instead of plot and character development furthering the story - it was cringe inducing grade school dialog, action, and at times, the most wooden and unenthusiastic Bond performance delivered in the series' history.... insert Vin Diesel, this could've been his xXx part 2.... DAD was about as mainstream, and run of the mill "status quo" action film as you could get.
    I wasn't trying to put Die above MR. Even Sir Rog thought DAD went too far.

Ironically Lee Tamahori directed XXX2 aswell :-)) (that was terrible and had equally bad SFX).
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    The funny thing is, as soon as I saw what Craig did with the role in CR there was an immediate, retroactive diminishment of Brosnan in my mind.
    It seems that for many a Bond fan - at least those I've come across on the 'Net - that's been very true for them. Has been for me; although, like for practically every cinematic interpretation of 007, I've certainly still a soft spot for The Brozzer's Bond.

Although, I can't agree with you on Sir Rog's Bond, of course, flashy. Still, it'd be a dull world if we all thought and felt the same way on things, eh...? ;)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    I wasn't trying to put Die above MR. Even Sir Rog thought DAD went too far.
    i know - i was just making a generalized point....
    Ironically Lee Tamahori directed XXX2 aswell :-)) (that was terrible and had equally bad SFX).
    i know... lol.. what a joke - but hey, Tamahori recently had a good film (so i heard) so I guess even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while....

working on the other side of the camera as i have now, i realize there is only so much a director can do with what he has (in terms of the story)... but I couldn't find one instance where Tamahori made me go, "wow, that was an amazing shot" - or - "what a brilliant choice of editing" ....... as horrid as the story was - directing and editing were equally as terrible..

the only cool shot in the whole film, came right before the main sword fight, where Bond kicked the sword towards the camera...... but that was not by design - it was just a happy accident, so i only give Tamahori half credit on that one, for recognizing it and leaving it in the film.

The funny thing is, as soon as I saw what Craig did with the role in CR there was an immediate, retroactive diminishment of Brosnan in my mind.
    It seems that for many a Bond fan - at least those I've come across on the 'Net - that's been very true for them.
    Not for me, I'm as stubborn and as loyal as you can get and have always felt that way since 2006 ;-) Whilst Craig was great in Royale he seemed a little underwelming for a fair part of Quantum - probably the second worst Bond movie IMO.

I know in my mind which man is the more poised, the more graceful and the more sophisticated ;)

Brosnan got me into Bond and hence will always be one of my favourites - despite DAD.
    @BAIN123

Brosnan got me into Bond as well - and thats why I can't fully hate on the guy.... and really, I don't hate or dislike any Bond actor... i like all the movies really, and would rather watch them over anything else.......... except for just that 1 Bond movie lol..

but as I got into the series more and more, I realized that Brosnan's best performance was in his debut film Goldeneye.. he got progressively worse.... what i initially liked about Pierce (in GE) was that he seemed to pull off the toughness of Sean, and the humor of Roger, and was a nice sort of hybrid of the two... but as his tenure went on - he started becoming more of straight clone of Roger... and as it stands today GE remains Brosnan's best outing as 007.
    I agree that GE was Brozza's best all around film but I don't think it was his best performance (though he was great in it). His best performance was probably TND. He was more assertive in that one despite the overall cheesiness of the film as a whole.
    personally... i like his performance in both GE, and also (for the most part) in TWINE.... i know the TWINE gets a lot (A LOT) of flack, but I've never thought it was "horrible"... it's nothing great, but I prefer it over TND - from the score, to the title theme, and even Brozzer's performance I thought better than TND (though still inferior to GE)...... granted the whole "personal" vibe that they were going for never came through, and it came off as just standard Bond - but he did have that one awesome moment, that being for the very first time - he himself, killed a woman.... true, other times he's turned them into a gunshot - but this was the first time he unloaded a round himself into one... and that whole exchange between him and Elekrta i'll always love....

"You couldn't kill me... you'd miss me..."

(yes?) ".... DIVE! BOND!-" BANG!

"I never miss."

classic.

the only downer is that he didn't then unload a round into Denise Richards as well ;-)
    I too prefer TWINE to TND but I there is a bit of overacting from Brozza in that. It's a decent performance (not as bad as people seem to make out) but not quite his best IMO.

I always enjoyed the line

(Goldie): After you.

(Bond) No, after you (jams gun in back) I insist.

That's Bond down to a tea and Brosnan delivers the line perfectly. Confident and self assured.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I think TND and TWINE are essentially very different films in what they expect from Brosnan. I like how he worked his way through TND. He seemed very confident, full of Bondian energy. His interplay with Q for example is great but then Brosnan's always been good in scenes with Desmond. I'm not too wild on his Stealth Boat work though but then I think it's certainly one of the weaker acts in the history of the Bonds so I doubt anyone, including Connery or - more recently - Craig, could have pulled it off any better.

As for TWINE, I'm much less impressed by Brosnan. Most of that film feels like artistic wannabe stuff and Brosnan seems a bit unaware sometimes of how he has to move. I thought he was particularly weak and shallow when playing in a scene with Sophie, whereas when on screen with Denise, he's suddenly a lot better. I wonder why. ;;) Yet again, the third act destroys everything for me. Aboard the sub, Brosnan's less than average IMO but here too I wonder who could have done the job well when immersed in such a screenwriting mess.
  • Jazz007Jazz007 Minnesota
    edited July 2011 Posts: 257
    How I would rank them (and what qualities I prefer over the others)....

MR: Music, cinematography, direction, locations, humor, PTS, villains, henchmen
    YOLT: Bond, action, Bond song, sets
    DAD: Girls
    I know MR has a few things in its favour (a good villain, great sets and a more enthusiastic performance from Rog compared to Connery's pretty by-the-numbers line readings) but I still prefer YOLT for the simple reason that it doesn't seem anywhere near as cartoonish or absurd. Despite having more of a "boys with toys" mentality compared to its predecessors, YOLT still takes itself relitively seriously.
    the only downer is that he didn't then unload a round into Denise Richards as well ;-)
    Isnt that what he does in the final scene? :-))

Have to agree with a lot of what Hasreot and actonsteve have said. MR and DAD are both packed with un-Flemingian moments and naffness and indeed downright cringeworthy moments - the difference is MR manages to pull it off and DAD doesnt. MR treads a very fine line but just keeps on the edge whereas DAD falls into the abyss.

Reasons for this? Rog at his best, ditto Barry, class stunt work, proper SFX, screenwriters who could write an innuendo? I dont know if thats enough but whatever it is MR gets away with it like a cheeky schooolboy whereas everything abaout DAD is painfully forced and layered on like a 50 year old whores make up.
    To imrpove DAD, they should have simply removed all the throw-back references to past Bond movies, find a better way to produce stunts instead of the horrific CGI green screen stuff, make all the villains more menacing, and my personal favorite request, remove Jinx!!!
    I'm with BAIN on this one. DAD is far worse, but MR has a lot of flaws and the overall feeling is one of a spoof or a farce. There's that line where Bond says to Moneypenny

James Bond: I fell out of an airplane without a parachute.
    James Bond: You dont believe me do you?
    Miss Moneypenny: No.

There's a sense of disbelief among the characters themselves about what's happening in the film.

The Bondola really makes no sense. Why would anyone design a custom gondola just for a chase through Venice? Surely there's easier and less obvious ways to sneak up and chase someone.

Drax is a highlight, as are the locations, and of course the John Barry score.

Personally I don't mind Jaws becoming a good guy and falling in love. He's such a likable character that it's nice to see him come out on the good side.

Oh man, don't even mention the Bondola! That scene is completely ridiculous and stupid. I cringe and turn my head in shame every time I see that scene. The thugs staring in confusion, the double-take pigeon, the men thinking twice about their cigarettes and wine, the ridiculous music......urggg!!! That's where the skip button on the remote comes in handy.
    You Only Live Twice is for sure the best of the mentioned films, yet none of them are true SUPERIOR Bond films.

Moonraker's first half is actually great but is over shadowed by it's insultingly silly and superfluous second half.

Die Another Day suffers the same problem as Moonraker; the first half is considerably better than the second. DAD's first half isn't all too bad, but once Halle Berry becomes a larger player and that parasailing scene ensues, the film becomes unsalvageable.

As far as the films hold up in the rankings for me:

#11) You Only Live Twice - 7.5/10
    #19) Moonraker - 5.5/10
    #20) Die Another Day - 5/10
    @SJK91: I see what you mean about the first halves being better than the second. It's as if the movie decided to play it dark and serious for the first half, and then play it light and fun for the kids the second half. I don't recall that so-called method being used in FRWL, OHMSS, FYEO, TLD, LTK, or GE.
    To imrpove DAD, they should have simply removed all the throw-back references to past Bond movies, find a better way to produce stunts instead of the horrific CGI green screen stuff, make all the villains more menacing, and my personal favorite request, remove Jinx!!!
    i don't know where to begin on improving Die Another Day.... there's an old saying, "you can't polish a turd." - thats how i feel about this film.....
    find a better way to produce stunts instead of the horrific CGI green screen stuff..
    or how about this...... don't have those stunts in at all? lol - or rewrite them.....

..but if you were to remove all the dumb stunts, ridiculous plot devices, awful dialog and nostalgic callbacks... you might as well rewrite the whole script...... or throw it out..... i prefer the latter lol.