SPECTRE--last Craig-era film?

Comments

I don't think it is the question does become what do you do if Mendes refuses to come back for a third film?

Personally I think this list here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Director#2010s

has the name of Bond 25's director on it somwhere I would guess they would try and go for another acadamy award winner.
  • ThomasCrown76ThomasCrown76 Augusta, ks
    Going from Sam mendes to a Michael bay type is a stretch
    Empire Magazine states that Bond 25 is scheduled to be Daniel's last Bond film, though Babs Broccoli is touting the old "taking one movie at a time" line.
  • Murdock wrote: »
    I don't think SPECTRE will be his last one. Based on the photos released today, I can easily see him making two or three more.

Yup, time to debunk all these rumours that "SPECTRE" will be Craig's last. Craig needs to stay for a frikkin' 10th film ;-). In all honesty? He can pull of two more after "SPECTRE". I want him to. His 5th is already confirmed, it's in Craig's contract. Then, like Moore and Connery, probably he will do a 6th film on negotional basis; one contract per film.

• SirHilaryBraySirHilaryBray Scotland
    The deal that was done was for two movieswith both Mendes and Craig. http://www.theguardian.com/film/2012/sep/11/daniel-craig-james-bond. Mednes also refers to Daniel as his collaborator. Dan has som much input in to what Bond is now. Dan is different when he actually in the Bond making process, he becomes like an excited little boy, playing with cars, women, the locations and the clothes. I truely believe he loves the whole process. I can't see him walk aways. He said previously and will all due respect to his good friend Roger Moore that he would rather someone tell him when he is too old, until then he will keep going. He is in great shape I see atleast 25 before he walks.
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    Murdock wrote: »
    I don't think SPECTRE will be his last one. Based on the photos released today, I can easily see him making two or three more.

Yup, time to debunk all these rumours that "SPECTRE" will be Craig's last. Craig needs to stay for a frikkin' 10th film ;-). In all honesty? He can pull of two more after "SPECTRE". I want him to. His 5th is already confirmed, it's in Craig's contract. Then, like Moore and Connery, probably he will do a 6th film on negotional basis; one contract per film.

I don't think they're "rumors." It's just speculation. Here's an interesting read on Craig's contract, not sure how reliable a source it is.

screenrant.com/daniel-craig-james-bond-5-films/

Note this line: "there’s a precedent for Bond actors dropping their commitment early."

It should be made clear: Craig will do a fifth Bond if he wants to. The contract shouldn't be viewed as "the reason" he'll be back. His own interest would be the reason...and his lack of interest/desire/feeling he can do it would be the reason he won't, even with a contract.

If Craig feels like he can do a sixth or even a seventh, he will. But SF took a lot out of him (coming off the heels of TGWTDT), and when I saw him a year and a half ago, he didn't look like Bond. He looked like a tired, weathered old man. I took this photo of him in New York:

CraigBetrayal00_zpsc4b58ffd.jpg

I was stunned. His hair was gray, he was wrinkled, and he looked tired. No wonder he's laid low since SF.

Now, he's back, has a bounce in his step. So I'm with you: let's hope he's ready to do more and more.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    What do we have make-up artists for?
    What do we have make-up artists for?

True...but at the time even on stage, with makeup, Craig looked old. I think he has had some minor work done.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    He is approaching 50, after all. He has one foot in the grave.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I saw him live in New York in Dec 2012 with his wife in Betrayal (a Broadway play). I was in the 4th row. He looked like a regular bloke in that one (did not seem like he was prettied up or anything). He did look noticeably older but his performance was phenomenal.
    bondjames wrote: »
    I saw him live in New York in Dec 2012 with his wife in Betrayal (a Broadway play). I was in the 4th row. He looked like a regular bloke in that one (did not seem like he was prettied up or anything). He did look noticeably older but his performance was phenomenal.

He was good, wasn't he? I should add, though, despite looking a liitle old, he was still as cool as hell!!! The man has presence.
    edited February 2015 Posts: 23,883
    TripAces wrote: »

He was good, wasn't he? I should add, though, despite looking a liitle old, he was still as cool as hell!!! The man has presence.

Yes, he was absolutely amazing. Blew away everyone else on stage. Agreed, truly a charismatic star, despite his somewhat aged looks.
  • TripAces wrote: »

I don't think they're "rumors." It's just speculation. Here's an interesting read on Craig's contract, not sure how reliable a source it is.

Note this line: "there’s a precedent for Bond actors dropping their commitment early."

It should be made clear: Craig will do a fifth Bond if he wants to. The contract shouldn't be viewed as "the reason" he'll be back. His own interest would be the reason...and his lack of interest/desire/feeling he can do it would be the reason he won't, even with a contract.

If Craig feels like he can do a sixth or even a seventh, he will. But SF took a lot out of him (coming off the heels of TGWTDT), and when I saw him a year and a half ago, he didn't look like Bond. He looked like a tired, weathered old man. I took this photo of him in New York:

I was stunned. His hair was gray, he was wrinkled, and he looked tired. No wonder he's laid low since SF.

Now, he's back, has a bounce in his step. So I'm with you: let's hope he's ready to do more and more.

Drawing such bold conclusions when someone is photographed in such an unflattering way is bullocks. Moreover, to imply that such looks make you worried, is farfetched too. It doesn't tell you anything about Craig's fit body below the clothes. And in all honesty, if an actor really looks like a grey-haired, skinny old fart two years before production, and if he gets into shape (good looks as well well) during the start of principal filming, then I'm still OK with Craig doing a Bond filmfilm.

And again, just...please......stop "doomsdaying" based on only ONE picture :-).

Drawing such bold conclusions when someone is photographed in such an unflattering way is bullocks. Moreover, to imply that such looks make you worried, is farfetched too. It doesn't tell you anything about Craig's fit body below the clothes. And in all honesty, if an actor really looks like a grey-haired, skinny old fart two years before production, and if he gets into shape (good looks as well well) during the start of principal filming, then I'm still OK with Craig doing a Bond filmfilm.

Whoa whoa whoa... did you READ my post? I took the picture; I was five feet from him. And I was never "worried" that DC wouldn't play Bond again...only concluded that SF seemed to take a lot out of him. He was asked to fatten up for TGWTDT and then had to quickly get in shape for SF and then came all the press and premieres, and he looked exhausted. That is all I am saying...it is a testament to DC's commitment: he put a lot into that film. That is why he is so great as Bond. All I am saying is that when DC decides he can't put 110% into the role, he won't do it. He wants to bring his A game every time.
    Bond 25 I believe will be DC's final Bond? But if it is not? That is fine by me!
    All I am saying is that when DC decides he can't put 110% into the role, he won't do it. He wants to bring his A game every time.

100% in agreement @TripAces. DC will make that decision based on his ability to do the role justice based on his view. He is a professional and won't stay on past what he thinks is his past due date, no matter what the pay-day is. He is not primarily motivated by money. I'm sure of it.
    All I am saying is that when DC decides he can't put 110% into the role, he won't do it. He wants to bring his A game every time.

100% in agreement @TripAces. DC will make that decision based on his ability to do the role justice based on his view. He is a professional and won't stay on past what he thinks is his past due date, no matter what the pay-day is. He is not primarily motivated by money. I'm sure of it.

his 4 007 movies have made him rich and he is no longer dependent upon a fifth for the money.
    I agree that if Craig will do a fifth 007 movie it will be on the basis of him being motivated artistically and physically. Craig is No Cruise who has been keeping fit for over twenty years.
  • RC7RC7

Captain Overreaction strikes again.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    RC7 wrote: »
    Captain Overreaction strikes again.
    ;)
    the issue here is the Craig era gave me personally a lot of firsts

First Bond film with a Fleming Novel title In theaters for me
    First Bond film with 2 fleming titles back to back
    First Bond Film with a Fleming Chapter title.

Etc

I kjind of dont want it to end
    A part of me feels that the producers would want Bond 25 out in 2017 so they can have Craig do 1 more film before he is 50. I feel the longer gap these films are the harder it will be to get Craig past Bond 25. Tho on the flip side the longer gaps between films the longer the rest and rebuild Craig gets for the next film.
    I wonder if SPECTRE does very well and Bond fans embrace DC as THE Bond, would the script writers be tempted to change the stories to fit in with a more mature Bond? The Taken series has shown that fans can accept a more mature action hero and it may offer new opportunities to explore Bond's character and history which have been features of the Craig era. I know not everyone agrees but I would sacrifice some of the action and 20 something Bond girls in exchange for two or more Bond movies starring DC with more character development and long term plot lines.
    That's an interesting idea @patb. Sort of a NSNA approach. I'd be ok with it, but EON probably has other ideas, and the box office may suffer.

To me Craig has proven he is in the same league as Sir Connery & Moore. Hopefully he becomes a Sir too one day. I would like him to be able to do 7 like those two greats, and then call it a day.

Sadly, I think he will cap out at 5 or 6 tops just due to age and the length of time it takes to get a movie out these days.
    Well I was not thinking of NSNA, not that level of cheese, but if they got a really loved team bedded in together with strong stories and well directed, they could take it in a more grown up direction. The chemistry between the team could be really something over three more films (yet again, I start to make comparisons to the original Star Trek team.) Bringing in new actors does detract from time spent of plot/stories. Keeping the team together could offer script writers great potential to see them all develop both as individuals and their relationships. As soon as you have a new Bond, that becomes the story and detracts from the movie as a whole. I take your point re box office but a new Bond could be a bigger risk than taking the road of a more mature DC Bond. In the Gardner novels, he moved to a SAAB Turbo which was not only a great car but a well worked metaphor for how his tastes and requirements had changed. Could we see DC enjoy a "SAAB Turbo" era, who knows?
    No, I understand, I referred to NSNA because they made an issue of Bond's age and lack of fitness. Interestingly, they borrowed that whole angle for SF, including a new M.

I think your idea is interesting, and I would love to see it take shape. It could draw in a more mature audience and they could perhaps make the plots more serious.....sort of take it just a notch towards Le Carre without going to that level.

It's probably too much to ask though, since the studios have a big say in these things, and rumour has it we'll have a new benefactor after SP (not Sony any more). They may even want a new Bond, who knows.
    Pure co-incidence but see the link below: There is an argument that the genre is splitting into two sub-genres. The young silly teenage stuff and the more mature, rugged, experienced "Taken" genre. I would love it if they kept Bond in the latter. Neeson is 62! We have a more mature population and attitudes to age are changing, Why cant we have a more mature Bond.? It just seems sad that Mendes seems to have built a really solid structure to move forward and that could be undermined by some relative youngster.
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2015/feb/26/liam-neeson-taken-3-sean-penn-the-gunman
  • edited February 2015 Posts: 4,600
    patb wrote: »
    Pure co-incidence but see the link below: There is an argument that the genre is splitting into two sub-genres. The young silly teenage stuff and the more mature, rugged, experienced "Taken" genre. I would love it if they kept Bond in the latter. Neeson is 62! We have a more mature population and attitudes to age are changing, Why cant we have a more mature Bond.? It just seems sad that Mendes seems to have built a really solid structure to move forward and that could be undermined by some relative youngster.
    http://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2015/feb/26/liam-neeson-taken-3-sean-penn-the-gunman
    Sorry, one last point, with a young Moneypenny and young Q (with potential for other supporting roles) its not as if we are talking about Wild Geese. Sorry quoted myself, getting sleepy.

Craig is going to do one more after Spectre and that will be it. They are going to want to cast someone young again.
    One last thought, following the Taken theme, a SPECTRE agent realises Bond has a soft spot for Moneypenny. She is kidnapped and treated badly. Bond tracks her down etc. Plots like this work so much better when you have the legacy of the relationship between two characters. I can think of worse plotlines
    Interesting article. I have seen all the released films in that link. Personally, I think Neeson is 'the man' when it comes to these things. Sort of the Charles Bronson of his day.

As I said, I'm open to the idea, but I just don't see the studio going for it with Bond.