Your favorite Ken Adam set?

13»

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I agree. I bet Blofeld has banned alcohol during those meetings.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    Didn't Blofeld frown upon drinking in the novel Thunderball?
    Donald Trump would make a great Willard Whyte
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    He's going to make a great Blofeld. :-S
  • The Liparus, but more for personal reasons really. TSWLM was the first one I saw in the cinema. I was aged 10, and up until then I had only seen Herbie films and Disney stuff. Then the bows of the Liparus opened up to reveal a huge sub-swallowing secret base, it was like, oh my god this film is the best thing ever made ...

After Liparus, I'd vote for Dr No's tarantula room (Dr No's eerie voiceover really helps this room too), Fort Knox, and the YOLT volcano.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    the tarantula room is a great example of what can be achieved for minimal cost with a great production designer. it probably cost one thousandth of any given set during the Craig era and yet still resonates more strongly all these years later.

my favourite set is probably the YOLT volcano though for all it's bravura OTTness

hard to choose.

Cubby assembled a group of legends - Barry, Adam, Maibaum. Unbelievable really.
  • RC7RC7
    Getafix wrote: »
    the tarantula room is a great example what can be achieved for minimal cost with a great production designer. it probably cost one thousandth of any given set during the Craig era and yet still resonates more strongly all these years later.

I can’t think of anyone who’d disagree.

I found Gassner’s work on the room Leto’s character is found in for BR:2049 (sorry, can’t recall if it was named) very reminiscent, in terms of minimalism.

However, I don’t think you can single out the Craig films exclusively. Anything non-Adam is infinitely less brilliant. The guy was a genius. If anything, I would actually say Gassner has come closer than Lamont to evoking his style (although I still rate Lamont).

RC7 wrote: »
    the tarantula room is a great example what can be achieved for minimal cost with a great production designer. it probably cost one thousandth of any given set during the Craig era and yet still resonates more strongly all these years later.

I found Gassner’s work on the room Leto’s character is found in for BR:2049 (sorry, can’t recall if it was named) very reminiscent, in terms of minimalism.

However, I don’t think you can single out the Craig films exclusively. Anything non-Adam is infinitely less brilliant. The guy was a genius. If anything, I would actually say Gassner has come closer than Lamont to evoking his style (although I still rate Lamont).

BR 2049 had some great production design. I watched it thinking why don't Bond films have sets like this!

But Gassner has done solid work on Bond- just nothing very memorable.

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,043
    RC7 wrote: »

Having only just watched Dr No yesterday that tarantula room was definitely a stand out in the film, even that early Adam was investing the films with his genius.

That is a tough one pinning down his best, I really like Syd Cain's work on FRWL though and of course he did sterling work on my very favourite entry OHMSS

Though like Barry with the music Ken is the governor, you get the likes of Kubrick using just anyone.

Of course Goldfinger Fort Knox, The Spectre Room in TB and the Volcano in YOLT still looks impressive all these years later.

Even DAF has some flair although I guess SWLM would be my personal favourite, MR though still looks stunning and it was a more than suitable swansong for him on the films, he definitely went out in style.

I thought Gassner's work on QOS, SF and even SP was great, watching DN I got where Gassner might have got his ideas for Blofeld's hideaway in SPECTRE, it felt very reminisent of that.

Gassner delivers definitely in BR2049.

Do we know if Mark Tildesley will stay or with Boyle's departure is Dennis likely to return?