Is 'For Your Eyes Only' the most boring James Bond film?

Comments

• DraxCucumberSandwichDraxCucumberSandwich United Kingdom
    edited November 2021 Posts: 208
    Let’s not leave out Arthur Wooster who was the second unit director of the 80s.

Yes, good point!
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 7,500
    t
    chrisisall wrote: »
    FYEO is anything but boring. And the best PTS ever! Well, behind TWINE, that is....

The best PTS ever is NTTD, hands down ;)
    Moore had a great run of PTS’s and I’d actually consider FYEO to be the worst. Still hugely enjoyable though with the characteristically great helicopter arial stunt work (so much better than Spectre)
  • Leon12Leon12 England
    I was watching Octopussy on tv the other day and it looked bad. I don't want to have a go at these films with the benefit of hindsight, but the production values are poor, it looks like a TV movie, I think the same applies to FYEO, the only 2 Roger Moore Bond films, imho, that hold up are The Spy who loved me and Live and Let Die. Live and Let Die because it is so much of it's time and is great fun, but the others look like expensive tv films.
    Don’t think Moonraker looks like a TV movie.

The money, for better or worse, is all up there on screen….
    jobo wrote: »
    t
    FYEO is anything but boring. And the best PTS ever! Well, behind TWINE, that is....

I’d need to sit down and really think about a ranking of all the PTS, but NTTD would definitely be a strong contender for my #2 spot.
    Zarozzor wrote: »
    t

I’d need to sit down and really think about a ranking of all the PTS, but NTTD would definitely be a strong contender for my #2 spot.

So what's nr 1?
    t

So what's nr 1?

TLD. There’s just something about it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    t

So what's nr 1?

Great choice.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Zarozzor ... TLD is a fantastic PTS and was my favourite until NTTD- which takes nothing away from TLD; NTTD was a gut-wrenching short film in a way... We have a clear beginning, middle and end, and during it we travel from a frightening flashback, to a couple who are very much in love, to an attack and while the action kicks up, we witness the disintegration of a relationship amongst the chaos. I think NTTD was magical.

TLD was my tops because it revealed the new Bond as a man of intensity and action. The entire sequence showed a mysterious muscularity and Dalton was running on all cylinders (showing an energy that had been absent in Bond films for a very long time (no knock at Roger; what he lacked in energy he more than made up for with charm).
    peter wrote: »
    @Zarozzor ... TLD is a fantastic PTS and was my favourite until NTTD- which takes nothing away from TLD; NTTD was a gut-wrenching short film in a way... We have a clear beginning, middle and end, and during it we travel from a frightening flashback, to a couple who are very much in love, to an attack and while the action kicks up, we witness the disintegration of a relationship amongst the chaos. I think NTTD was magical.

TLD was my tops because it revealed the new Bond as a man of intensity and action. The entire sequence showed a mysterious muscularity and Dalton was running on all cylinders (showing an energy that had been absent in Bond films for a very long time (no knock at Roger; what he lacked in energy he more than made up for with charm).
    Great post. I like your point about the NTTD PTS almost being a short film. I was on the edge of my seat seeing it in the theater.

There’s a good chance I have the same top 2 as you (just flipped) once I think about it.
    Dalton made such an impression in that PTS, and John Barry’s scoring is one of my favourite Bond cues.
    Dalton made such an impression in that PTS, and John Barry’s scoring is one of my favourite Bond cues.
    Exercise at Gibraltar! I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve listened to it.
    Incredible catchy exciting piece of music. No one can do that like John Barry. Luckily they didn’t slide into a Beach Boys cover and let Barry’s glorious music shine. The entire score for LTD is a phenomenal
    t

So what's nr 1?

That one is fantastic too. My 2nd choice, probably ;)
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Okay, yeah, TLD is the top PTS.
  • Leon12Leon12 England
    peter wrote: »

Not the first to say this, but Dalton was the prototype for Daniel Craig's Bond, he was trying to make him a more human and believable character, by the end of the RM era the Bond movies had almost become comic book knock about films.
    I think FYEO is boring compared to MR.

It’s like watching someone who was fun and creative while on cocaine. But as soon as they sober up and go “clean” they become boring. Like Robert Downey jr

FYEO always felt like an overreaction to MR to me, like they had to apologize for its box office success. Some people also want to forget it also got some critical love back in '79 too. They threw in non-stop stunts and built a story around it, most of which are variations on other films. I know, lots of Fleming influence, but aside from Colombo, by far the most engaging character in the film and one of the best Bond allies in the series, the rest are forgettable.
    Let’s not leave out Arthur Wooster who was the second unit director of the 80s.

I think he's overdue some recognition, especially in light of the criticisms and praise of Vic Armstrong over in the TWINE good, bad and average thread. Is it because Wooster doesn't look the part or been involved in all the legendary productions Armstrong has? I think the proof is I like the action in the Wooster-led films and the Armstrong action isn't as engaging.
    TLD is still far and away the best pts for me!
    And yes, Arthur Wooster deserves a lot more praise than he gets!
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    I find FYEO the 2nd most entertaining Moore film after TSWLM to be honest.
    Great variety (very few bondmovies go from skiing in the mountains to sub aquatic in one movie...). And it flows nicely, pacing is far better than the two that followed...
    AceHole wrote: »
    Great variety (very few bondmovies go from skiing in the mountains to sub aquatic in one movie...). And it flows nicely, pacing is far better than the two that followed...

This.

• Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    edited November 2021 Posts: 1,006
    AceHole wrote: »

Yes, and don’t forget rock climbing!! My god that is a great climax and probably the most palpably dangerous Moore sequence.
  • edited November 2021 Posts: 3,279
    Exercise at Gibraltar! I can’t even begin to count how many times I’ve listened to it.

Great place to live too. We just bought a house in Gib, and plan to move there in 2 years time.

Just saw Arthur Wooster mentioned on here. I once did a dissertation on director Tom Clegg, and he worked with Wooster, so I interviewed Wooster on a telephone call asking what Tom was like to work with. Had I known at that time who he was, I may have been a bit more star struck, but I didn't have a clue back then that he worked on Bond (pre-internet).

It might be the worst reviewed ( even though I doubt it)

Rotten Tomatoes scores:

LALD 66%

MWTGG 46%

SWLM 76%

MR 62%

FYEO 73%

OP 42%

VTAK 36%

Brutal. Just BRUTAL.

Yes, yes, yes, this is where a few of you write in and state that you don't consider film reviews when it comes to Bond films.

He asked, and I'm responding.

I think FYEO is probably Moore’s best film, for me. Also, I’d reverse the scores for OP and MR.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I just had some pistachios and it reminded me of my love for FYEO.
  • I just had some pistachios and it reminded me of my love for FYEO.

Topol would be very proud 😂😂
  • I don't think FYEO is boring at all- there is lots to like here. It's basically a mid-tenure reboot for Moore. However, it's a Bond film that I don't put on all that often when I'm getting the itch to watch one. I would prefer MR or OP for the 'fun' factor alone.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I think my "fun" Moore entry would have to be TSWLM.
  • You know, I was just thinking, instead of the fun factor I think I'm leaning more 'guilty pleasure' . TSWLM is excellent- I don't think Moore did it better than this one. ;)
  • Junglist_1985Junglist_1985 Los Angeles
    After browsing another discussion thread, I’ve decided that TWINE might be the most boring Bond film. Not the worst, but maybe most boring.