"GE" vs "TND": Why is the first generally considered better than the second?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Well in critiquing two films with the same star, it's inherent to compare the performances by the same actor in the two films. It's critical thinking, not vitrol.
    That can be done without bashing the films.
    Is it bashing a film to state whether a sequence, stunt or performance in a film is effective or not? Saying the bike chase in TND was poorly staged and lacked any sort of drama or believability is critical thinking and analysis. Saying the bike chase sucked is hating.
    Is it bashing a film to state whether a sequence, stunt or performance in a film is effective or not? Saying the bike chase in TND was poorly staged and lacked any sort of drama or believability is critical thinking and analysis. Saying the bike chase sucked is hating.

No but to claim the entire movie was terrible over said shots feels like it to me.
    There is reasonable analysis then there is nitpicking.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Yeah before gets out of hand... I am a die hard Bond fan so despite my critism of GE ...I still loved it. TND wasn't perfect but I liked it more and thought PB was coming into his own with it.
    the thread topic begs the question to compare the two pictures. I'm stating how one film is better than the other and presenting thoughts after watching the films. There's no reason you can't somehow state that TND is better and present your position in a critical-thinking manner.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,691
    I'm not sure if I've given enough reasons WHY I think GE is better. I was only questioning why you, someone I've corresponded with for awhile on this site, was mocking my opinions.
    Dude you've done a man's job with this. I didn't mean to mock you- I was just in defensive mode from all the anti-Broz stuff. TND is gloriously photographed- they had a lot more money to throw at the screen then than GE, and I just couldn't understand anyone saying GE's photography was superior... so I went wacky & tried to be funny and it wasn't as evident as it should have been. No offence intended toward ya, pal.
    That's not even what I was arguing about. As a big Brosnan film. I enjoy all his films. Including Die Die Another Day.

GoldenEye was the first Bond film I ever saw. It cemented how a Bond movie should be in terms of Style, Characters and Action.

On a technical level. Tomorrow Never Dies is even better. Though I find Carver to be a weaker villain than Trevelyan. Both films excel and are fun entertaining romps.

When I was much younger. GE and TND always flip flopped on my number one spot. Both are very good movies. GoldenEye was the last film of Cubby's era. (Even though he didn't produce it, his fingerprints were all over it, and you can see it.) It's a film that has a lot of good memories attached to it. It's what got me into Bond in the first place. For me, that's why I like it better.
    Okay so when I write that the bike was to heavy to really fly over the helicopter in a believable way, or that the fireworks going off seemed silly and unrealistic as compared to the ferocious fight at the end of Goldeneye, you simply writing you like TND better for nostalgic reasons makes for contemplative debate?

I mean, okay cool you liked it better, but to state that I am bashing is kinda unfair, since I'm backing up what I say with specific pieces of info.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 11,119
    bondjames wrote: »
    Where GE wins in my opinion is in characters. I personaly just love them. Ouromov, Natalya, Boris, Trevalyn, Mishkin....and to a lesser degree Wade & Zukovsky. In fact the only one I disliked from the start was Dench's M, so you can imagine my relief when she was recently dispatched...., I feel the same way about SF (with the exception of the new MP who I don't really like....let's see what they do with her character going forward). SF & GE are similar in that the characterizations work for me. Less so in TND (although it's still not bad compared to Brosnan's last 2 outings).

Where GE wins in another way for me is in the sort of romantic, old school impression it gave me.....like an old shoe.....there were memories of Moore from TSWLM at the start (back screen projector & implausibility notwithstanding....let's not forget the amazing opening jump!), Connery from GF in the DB5/Ferrari chase, Dalton from TLD in the Russian settings....and of course it had a bit of a throwback to the cold war feel with 006's backstory. TND seemed very modern, very high tech, but lost me since it did not have any quiet romanticism in its cinematography (unlike the similarly modern for its time TSWLM for instance, that took time to be somewhat old school romantic & cinematic during the Egyptian scenes that were absolutely stunning). So TND just came across too high tech for me.

As said before loved Natalya. She was a throwback for me to the brainy yet feminine Euro babes of the 60's with the funny accents. Loved it.... especially after the generic North American trying too hard to be Bond's equal/South American bimbo pair in LTK. Much better too than the action babe from TND in my mind.....and Miss Lois & Clark.

Don't you like GE more because of nostalgic reasons then? I mean, in part?

Anyway, about the characters? The only Bond girl from these two Bond films I really liked was Teri Hatcher as Paris Carver. Yes, her role wasn't too big. But WHAT she did with that minor role of "villain's mistress" was in my opinion exceptional. TND was the only Bond film of the two (GE and TND) that gave the Bond girl a believable background history.

Carver's emotions for me were way more believable than Scorupco's Natalia. Call the accent "nostalgic", but I think Carver was the only "American" Bond girl that really worked for me. It started all the way when she gave Bond this lovely slap in her face and then that one-liner "How 'bout the words "I'll be right back" ".

Not only that, I think compared to Natalia, Xenia and álso Wai Lin, I think Paris Carver was the classiest Bond girl. She oozed charisma on screen. On top of that, she slowly evolves from a cynical bitchy "Desperate Housewife" into an ally of Bond. In the end, I was saddened that she was killed.

For me personally, I don't like a Bond girl to kick ass. I want a Bond girl to be 200%....and here it comes.....WOMAN. A suave, elegant feminin character. A girl who doesn't have the balls in her muscles....but in her brains.

The reason in general that I find TND nicer to watch than GE, has to do with the villain's plot. In today's geopolitical worlds, we have seen how quickly wars can be initiated if one person starts tampering with borderlines and territorial integrity. Then you have Alec, who's out on a revenge and wants to destroy......ehm....cough.....the United Kingdom :-P.

Sorry, for me you EITHER destroy the world and create havoc in a way that actually can be done by today's standards (stealing nuclear missiles....well, we see what Islamic State is stealing from the USA no? It's at least more realistic than a EMP satellite), OR you TRULY go all the way with revenge and have a look at Silva in SF. Because, with all do respect for GoldenEye, Alec comes across as an unbelievable pussy compared to Silva :-).

Moreover.....Alec didn't work for me as a villain. I must give you that the fist fight at the final part of the film was marvellous. But the lines he was uttering.....it didn't do it for me. Now I'm not saying that Elliot Carver was a better villain. Not at all. But both Elliot and Alec didn't do it for me. The only Brosnan-villain that really worked for me was a female: Elektra King.

Having written all this.....I go for TND. Ooowh, and on top of that, that car park chase for me is just way more fun :-). A tank for me....is just too much, too loud, too bombastic. I can see a member of The Expendables picking a tank and destroy London with it. But not Bond. He uses a car.

One last thing. I can't put any of the Brosnan films in my TOP 7 ranking. TWINE gets into my TOP 10 narrowly. But in general, quality-wise, the look and feel.....and the entire atmosphere, I find GE and TND nothing more than formularic Bond-twin-brothers. Nice succesful Bond films, but as standalone films rather bland.
    I mean, okay cool you liked it better, but to state that I am bashing is kinda unfair, since I'm backing up what I say with specific pieces of info.

My arguments weren't even directed at you. You've given fair assessments over both movies and I respect that.
    Okay so when I write that the bike was to heavy to really fly over the helicopter in a believable way
    you sound silly, because I can cherry pick numerous things like that from EVERY SINGLE Bond movie. Bond and realism DO NOT go hand in hand, my friend. ;)
  • guys, I just posted a nice review by myself :-D. What do you think about that?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Don't you like GE more because of nostalgic reasons then? I mean, in part?

RE: the nostaligia - yes, partly I prefer GE because it's a throwback Bond to some extent. After LTK (which I loved) pushing the envelope so much, I liked the traditional nature of GE including cold war references. However, I liked it on so many other levels as well, as already mentioned.

I agree with you that the idea behind Paris Carver was interesting. It's in the execution and choice of star that I have a problem with, and found unbelievable.

A lot of this is personal however, so we're all going to disagree, but I found Teri Hatcher just too generic a star to be playing a woman Bond has such feelings for. I just didn't buy it for some reason (maybe because I knew her as Lois). I also found her performance very flat and nonchalant. She was more appealing to me lying dead on that bed than she was alive. As I said, it's a personal thing. It was also the first time they started putting these famous (relatively speaking) American actresses in roles, something which I disliked and something that hit a nadir with the horrendous DAD.

I was quite attracted to Scorupco's Natalya, and perhaps that's clouding my judgement of her portrayal. She's my kind of girl. Period.

I agree on the plot being more topical, much more inventive, and more interesting in TND. However, the much lauded SF also has a simple revenge plot, like GE, as you've already noted.

At the end of the day, as mentioned, GE works for me due to characterizations (certainly not as well done as SF by any means, but still very good for me compared to TND, TWINE or DAD.....that's why I remember it fondly from the Brosnan era). It's also cartoonish, but not in a terrible way (like Mr. f'ing Kill or that loser Bullion....that, for me was just taking the damn piss!.....).. For me, the balance between serious and cartoonish was just right. Boris was a clown, but I found him endearing. The lines were 'comic book like' no doubt, but I remember them all fondly to this day, because they were delivered so brilliantly and with euro trash accents. "Stop! Youuuuu'll blooooew the gas tanks!"

This movie just has charisma & style oozing out of it and it all comes from the supporting cast. Not the sets, not the effects, not the puny budget, certainly not the plot, and not Brosnan (although he looks good and didn't mess up, all he had to do was show up with the charisma on display from the others). I just wish Campbell had his CR budget for GE. Then he would have created a masterpiece to rival the best Bond IMO.

I'm not saying GE is without flaws. It has many, as has been noted here. However, to this day, I just love watching it, due to its style (in Monaco particularly and in the finale on the satellite) and the characters. Serra's score also fits that movie perfectly, no matter what else you may think of it...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Okay so when I write that the bike was to heavy to really fly over the helicopter in a believable way
    you sound silly, because I can cherry pick numerous things like that from EVERY SINGLE Bond movie. Bond and realism DO NOT go hand in hand, my friend. ;)

That's a fair note, yet the action stuff in TND was pretty simple and ineffective, whereas there's a ton of stuff in GE that's intense and far more believable. FOr example, in TND the Carver thugs walk up to Bond and tell him, hey can you come with us?, and he looks at them suspiciously, and Bros even says uh-huh, yet he STILL lets himself get led downstairs and into that completely fake-looking fight, where they are pulling their blows with the baseball bats with the David Arnold mucis working hard to make us believe an unrealistic fight. Ugh.

Compare that with just the opening sequence in GE, which is pretty effective and even one guy getting shot by Uromov is felt by the audience.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

That's a fair note, yet the action stuff in TND was pretty simple and ineffective, whereas there's a ton of stuff in GE that's intense and far more believable. FOr example, in TND the Carver thugs walk up to Bond and tell him, hey can you come with us?, and he looks at them suspiciously, and Bros even says uh-huh, yet he STILL lets himself get led downstairs and into that completely fake-looking fight, where they are pulling their blows with the baseball bats with the David Arnold mucis working hard to make us believe an unrealistic fight. Ugh.

Compare that with just the opening sequence in GE, which is pretty effective and even one guy getting shot by Uromov is felt by the audience.

One moment from GE I love is Bond briefly scrapping with the thug on the Manticore. Short, hard hitting, effective.
    That's a great, short fight set up by that AWESOME shot of the reflection of the thug off of one of the brass pipings on the ship. That shot by itself in concept is more thought-out than anything in TND.

Thanks for bringing that up.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    That's all well and good, but why does it just come down to fights for you? You seem to be judging films because film A has a better fight scene than film B. Very black and white, don't you think?
    It's not just the fight stuff. The third act of TND is an absolute mess, while the story of GE in general is pretty tightly told.
    It's not just the fight stuff. The third act of TND is an absolute mess
    Oh yes, a mess. You can't tell what's going on, you can't see what's happening, nothing makes sense, continuity is all screwed up, some of the dialogue is in Latin, you see all the boom mikes, Brosnan's toupee is SO obvious, the water looks so fake, just a mess.

and worse…it's just by the numbers and BORING.

The fight with STamper is just completely disappointing.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    It's not just the fight stuff. The third act of TND is an absolute mess
    Oh yes, a mess. You can't tell what's going on, you can't see what's happening, nothing makes sense, continuity is all screwed up, some of the dialogue is in Latin, you see all the boom mikes, Brosnan's toupee is SO obvious, the water looks so fake, just a mess.

Spoiler alert!
    it's just by the numbers and BORING.
    The fight with STamper is just completely disappointing.
    Well, THAT certainly qualifies as a 'mess'.
    ;)
    …and that's just the first few sentences. The audience i saw it with laughed out loud when Carver shot Gupta.
    The audience i saw it with laughed out loud when Carver shot Gupta.
    Wow, just, ummm, more proof of its, umm... messyness.
    I guess.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    …and that's just the first few sentences. The audience i saw it with laughed out loud when Carver shot Gupta.

Not too sure what you're getting at there, mate.

And what's with all these "well, the people in MY cinema so and so" comments?
    That the beat in the film was met with the complete opposite reaction for what it was intended. The current thread is about how TND is not as good a film as GE and I am elaborating upon that.
    I am elaborating upon that.
    If you say so.
  • Mr. dad is not to be trusted.

I agree that the fight with Stamper is extremely underwhelming. But it is not messy at all.

The machine gun finale (I like the cramped hallway bits, worth mentioning) is a little tedious, but it isn't messy at all.
    The machine gun finale (I like the cramped hallway bits, worth mentioning) is a little tedious, but it isn't messy at all.
    After Die Hard & Predator, I guess I've been a bit de-sensitized to machine gun fire. Last time I watched TND I was trying to be conscious of the fact, and I'll admit I *DID* see a lot of it. But then, was it really any more than we got in TSWLM-?

:-??
    After Die Hard & Predator, I guess I've been a bit de-sensitized to machine gun fire. Last time I watched TND I was trying to be conscious of the fact, and I'll admit I *DID* see a lot of it. But then, was it really any more than we got in TSWLM-?

:-??

Die Hard and Predator are incredible action pictures that nearly killed off the Bond Franchise.
This discussion has been closed.