Superman: The Man of Tomorrow

Comments

• edited November 2014 Posts: 2,491
    Man of Steel was enjoayble movie, I don't get why people dislike it..

I definitelly have different taste in movies than the average viewer I guess :/

edit: Also I'd like to say that Superman II is really overrated..it begins good but then it becomes mess..atleast for my taste that is..
  • Man of Steel has its issues, though I enjoy much of the film. At least they attempted to reimagine the story rather than do what Singer did and create a sequel of sorts that for me just did not work. Too many basic errors with Returns, in fact the best scene is the highly expensive omitted scene Return to krypton. You can see this on the Bluray of Superman Returns.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 1,107
    Man of Steel has its issues, though I enjoy much of the film. At least they attempted to reimagine the story rather than do what Singer did and create a sequel of sorts that for me just did not work. Too many basic errors with Returns, in fact the best scene is the highly expensive omitted scene Return to krypton. You can see this on the Bluray of Superman Returns.

I like superman returns it was the first superman I saw in theatre and I think it honors Christopher Reeve's films superbly, which I so much appreciated.Superman Returns is an amazing film which I feel is composed of parts or scenes that would have made the most awesome Superman film but it's main plot and lack of a real threat or villain keep it from being perfect

giphy.gif
    3680891-9837654117-6eB82.jpg
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,432
    Dalton12 wrote: »
    Man of Steel has its issues, though I enjoy much of the film. At least they attempted to reimagine the story rather than do what Singer did and create a sequel of sorts that for me just did not work. Too many basic errors with Returns, in fact the best scene is the highly expensive omitted scene Return to krypton. You can see this on the Bluray of Superman Returns.

I like superman returns it was the first superman I saw in theatre and I think it honors Christopher Reeve's films superbly, which I so much appreciated.Superman Returns is an amazing film which I feel is composed of parts or scenes that would have made the most awesome Superman film but it's main plot and lack of a real threat or villain keep it from being perfect.

I struggle with the film from early on, I don't like how Lex is depicted in the film. The way Lex manipulates the old lady for her fortune, is awkward to watch and does not sit right with me. Also how Superman literally super stalks Lois feels uncomfortable, certainly for the Man of Steel. No doubting the production though at times wasteful. I feel a lot of the budget could be put to better use. Routh I thought was OK, had potential and after seeing him other TV and film since its a shame he did not get the opportunity. Also Singer has no idea how kryptonite works :)

I like superman returns it was the first superman I saw in theatre and I think it honors Christopher Reeve's films superbly, which I so much appreciated.Superman Returns is an amazing film which I feel is composed of parts or scenes that would have made the most awesome Superman film but it's main plot and lack of a real threat or villain keep it from being perfect.

I struggle with the film from early on, I don't like how Led is depicted in the film. The wat Lex manipulates the old lady for her fortune, is awkward to watch and does not sit right with me. Also how Superman literally super stalks Lois feels uncomfortable, certainly for the Man of Steel. No doubting the production though at times wasteful. I feel a lot of the budget could be put to better use. Rough I thought was OK, had potential and after seeing him other TTV and film since its a shame he did not get the opportunity. Also Singer has no idea how kryptonite works :)

Rough is on Arrow right now he is playing Ray Palmer (Atom) he's a really great so far.

giphy.gif
  • Dalton12 wrote: »

I struggle with the film from early on, I don't like how Led is depicted in the film. The wat Lex manipulates the old lady for her fortune, is awkward to watch and does not sit right with me. Also how Superman literally super stalks Lois feels uncomfortable, certainly for the Man of Steel. No doubting the production though at times wasteful. I feel a lot of the budget could be put to better use. Rough I thought was OK, had potential and after seeing him other TTV and film since its a shame he did not get the opportunity. Also Singer has no idea how kryptonite works :)

Rough is on Arrow right now he is playing Ray Palmer (Atom) he's a really great so far.

Sorry keep editing my posts, using a tablet and the predictive text I find changes too many words.

Routh I liked in Chuck! Only watched Arrow season one so far, will buy season 2 shortly.

Sorry keep editing my posts, using a tablet and the predictive text I find changes too many words.

Routh I liked in Chuck! Only watched Arrow season one so far, will buy season 2 shortly.

I watched Chuck too I have all seasons on DVD . Great show.
  • edited November 2014 Posts: 6,432

Question is how would the Avengers have faired against Kryptonians, not well!

;))

;))

They have a Hulk.

giphy.gif

;))

Hulk and Thor would last, its probably a battle that would never end.

http://smodcast.com/episodes/man-of-steel-super-special-fat-man-and-gar-man-on-superman/

Funny and informative discussion on Superman Returns and the Man of Steel...

;))

http://smodcast.com/episodes/man-of-steel-super-special-fat-man-and-gar-man-on-superman/

Thanks I will listen to it at work :D

;))

Thanks I will listen to it at work :D

Its a great show, Kevin Smith knows his stuff

;)
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    I should probably go into more depth of Man of Steel more.

I left the theater not angry or disappointed. I just felt Meh. I understand they needed to Reboot Superman but in my opinion it just wasn't very good. The use of flashbacks were not very good. They should have just played out the beginning of Clark's life without flashbacks then get into the present without bogging it down. The film should have been lighter in tone. Pa Kent's death was shallow and dumb. If he had to die he should have died from something that Clark couldn't have stopped naturally.

After Zod shows up to Earth the film just goes downhill from there. They really should have saved Zod for a Sequel as he had a good buildup in the intro. Other than that, I thought the ending was pretty much ripping off the Avengers with it's destruction of Metropolis scene so It felt like the filmmakers didn't really know what they were doing.

And lastly, I think everything was taken too seriously. That doesn't work in these movies because it just comes of pretentious. Where in the Marvel movies, They know that the world they live in is fantastical and they go with it.

I don't find it very good at all. but that's my opinion.
    Murdock wrote: »
    I should probably go into more depth of Man of Steel more.

I left the theater not angry or disappointed. I just felt Meh. I understand they needed to Reboot Superman but in my opinion it just wasn't very good. The use of flashbacks were not very good. They should have just played out the beginning of Clark's life without flashbacks then get into the present without bogging it down. The film should have been lighter in tone. Pa Kent's death was shallow and dumb. If he had to die he should have died from something that Clark couldn't have stopped naturally.

After Zod shows up to Earth the film just goes downhill from there. They really should have saved Zod for a Sequel as he had a good buildup in the intro. Other than that, I thought the ending was pretty much ripping off the Avengers with it's destruction of Metropolis scene so It felt like the filmmakers didn't really know what they were doing.

And lastly, I think everything was taken too seriously. That doesn't work in these movies because it just comes of pretentious. Where in the Marvel movies, They know that the world they live in is fantastical and they go with it.

I don't find it very good at all. but that's my opinion.

I completely agree.
    And I hate the muted colors of Superman's iconic suit .
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    @Dalton12 I didn't mind the muted colors, but I thought it was too "overtextured." for my tastes.
    here are my thoughts on what could've been changed:

The tone; more specifically, it could've stood to be softened. I'm not asking for a rehash of the Donner/Reeve classic, but a modern Superman movie can be done without an end product more humorless than the Dark Knight trilogy.
    The dialogue and one liners. "It all goes downhill..." "Dicksplash." Terrio is a very welcome addition to the team behind Dawn of Justice.
    The codex. This plot device provides unnecessary bloat to Superman's origins.
    The editing. At times it feels amateurish.
    The cinematography. Less shaky cams, and less zoom-ins please.
    The music. Zimmer is an incredible composer, but his work on this movie isn't one of his best, let alone worthy of Superman. The Superman theme itself starts off promising, but doesn't really go anywhere. I was hoping Zimmer would abandon the minimalist approach he took to the Dark Knight trilogy, but it still lingers. Plus it feels like 75% of the score is either in C-major or C-minor.

Still not watched season 5 yet, I know it was shorter in number of episodes. Loved season four Dalton was brilliant! I'll buy season Five some day, was gutted it got axed.

Still not watched season 5 yet, I know it was shorter in number of episodes. Loved season four Dalton was brilliant! I'll buy season Five some day, was gutted it got axed.

The ending was great .

giphy.gif
  • Casey is a legend! :-bd
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That BBC clip is brilliant, @chrisisall. Once in a lifetime geek glory, right there.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    That BBC clip is brilliant, @chrisisall. Once in a lifetime geek glory, right there.
    Yeah, our 15 minutes of fame. And they even gave us a couple hundred bucks for our time! Back then to us 20 year-olds that was HUGE!
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I'd post a gif of something, but I'm too lazy.

Anyway... Superman, the Man of Steel, the World's Most Famous Illegal Alien.

My introduction to Superman was not a great one. Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman was not the best way to portray the iconic first super hero. It was entertaining for its time, but its time has long since passed.

The next version of Superman that I experienced was Superman: The Animated Series, and it's brethren, the DC Animated Universe. To this day, these are my favorite incarnations of DC comics characters. It'll take a damn good showing from something in the future to change that feeling. Tim Daly, Christopher MacDonald and George Newbern are the way I hear Superman in my head. These cartoons were Superman at his prime, and I don't think they will ever be surpassed.

It was between these two and Smallville that I was introduced to the Christopher Reeve films, and while I love Superman and Superman II (both versions, though I lean closer to the Richard Donner Cut), I can't stand Superman III (Richard Pryor; he was a mistake) and Superman IV: The Quest for Peace is just barely watchable. I've never seen Supergirl, though I'm told it's horrible.

Smallville was my next outlet for the character. I struggled through its first four seasons (high school on TV was, hilariously, harder to get through than high school in real life, which I started as the show was going into its 4th season) but once Brainiac was introduced in season five, and more and more DC characters were introduced, the show became much easier to watch. Now, the problem that came from this was that the show was purely pre-costume Superman, and he dealt with, and in many cases, defeated his greatest enemies (Doomsday, Darkseid, Zod, to some degree Lex) before ever even touching the suit. Much like the MAD parody entitled "Smallville: Turn of the Clark", wasn't that where the show should have began?

Then came Superman Returns. It was nice to see a flight scene with good CG instead of that crap that looked like a force field was surrounding him during Smallville's season 4 opener. The film wasn't up to par with the first two Chris Reeve films, but at least it didn't have Nuclear Man or Richard Pryor.

Superman: Doomsday was the next thing to come, and while it was enjoyable, it was very much a bastardized version of "The Death of Superman". It probably should have had a multi-part adaptation, much like "The Dark Knight Returns". An animated TV miniseries would have been nice, too.

I'm not sure which of the next two I saw first, Justice League: Crisis on Two Earths or Superman/Batman: Public Enemies, but these were both quality animated films, if a little on the short side. Public Enemies definitely comes out on top, here, despite Crisis on Two Earths originally being a part of the DC Animated Universe.

Next comes Young Justice, where Superman took a supporting role next to Superboy. Still good, though.

Finally, the one everybody's still talking about for no good reason other than the fact that it's getting a sequel: Man of Steel. I don't love it, i don't hate it. There have been better, there have been worse. I dislike the out-of-order-flashback approach, and the fact that Krypton's greatest military mind was almost defeated by a scientist who only lost because Zod took advantage of a distraction, but... y'know. It wasn't horrible. Maybe should have had that post-credits sequence that Chris Nolan vetoed, but still.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I've never seen Supergirl, though I'm told it's horrible.
    It's not NEARLY as good as Superman II but it's a more than a bit better than Superman III IMHO. It's fun & fantasy set to a rather awesome Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack. Great flying FX too.

Recently I saw Superman 1,2,3,4

Superman I : It's amazing how this film still resonates with me today and I'm sure many others. Richard Donner's vision, John Williams' score, the acting of Glen Ford/Gene Hackman/Margot Kidder/Marlon Brando etc. Many people look at Superman as a dull and boring character; but the purity, nobility, likability and heroic qualities of Superman are brought to life by Christopher Reeve.

I can't think of another scene that embodies the essence of superheros and comic books more beautifully than the final scene when Chris Reeve flies across that screen and flashes that smile. I'm embarrased to admit it, but man, that scene still gets me to this day!

Superman II Acting was top notch! I thought that Terence Stamp as General Zod was amazing! He does the voice of Jor-El on Smallville starring one of my other favorite actor's and a good friend to Christopher Reeve himself, Tom Welling, who plays Clark on Smallville. I liked the new rendition of the Superman March during the opening credits by Ken Thorne. Finally the showdown between Superman and the three rogues in Metropolis is the best scene of the entire movie and probably the best scene out of the whole series. Up to this point in the movie there has been incredible hype about the final showdown between these four people, and it exceeds everyone's expectation.

The Donner cut is fun for our sort, but not a solid movie, per say. Too many weird changes in quality and awkward acting moments (due to the available material to work with) for the average Joe to sit down and enjoy it as a film.

I just watched the Donner for the second time last week. Did anyone else notice that he beat up the trucker AFTER he reversed time, nullifying the events of the film? So really, in the new time line, since the trucker never actually beat up Clark, and none of these people ever saw him before; from the viewpoint of the people in the diner, some random guy in glasses just came in, and for no apparent reason, picked a fight with Rocky the trucker, busting up the pinball machine in the process!

Superman III is my guilty pleasure. I fully realize how much the fans despise it and my favorite Superman film will always by Donner's '78 original. But that said, I still get a kick out of watching it.
    recently and I was surprised how well crafted it was. Don't get me wrong, but with some tweaks it could be the equivalent to the Batman 1966 movie (which I love). Lester's direction is very focused, though with a lot of slapstick, there are some very nice moments. Superman using creativity to save the people from the plant, freezing the lake and made it rain on the fire was just gold. Also the McGuffin of the acid was very well placed. The battle between Evil Supes and Clark was awesome too.

Reeve's performance is, as always, the highlight of the movie. Though it acts sometimes as a vehicle for Richard Pryor, he is very funny. Perhaps the biggest laugh I got was from the scene where he falls from the building. It was impossible, by even the laws of those crazy Otto Binder stories from the silver age, to survive, but I was rolling on the floor laughing.

Superman IV -A few redeeming qualities but the majority was just weird. When Lex decided to make a clone, I assumed it would be Bizarro instead of the unfamiliar Nuclear Man. Dealing with the very real issue of nuclear weapons made for an interesting story, but they really didn't discuss much human resistance to having their nukes stolen. That would have been more interesting than watching him fly around after Nuclear Man cleaning up after him for so long.

giphy.gif
    I don't now if anybody saw this it's awesome !!

After seeing I miss Christopher Reeve :(
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Is it just me, or did anybody else notice that after being the Ed Norton Hulk to start out, it shifted to the Mark Rufalo Hulk, the the Lou Ferigno Hulk to finish it off? Superman didn't change from Chris Reeve to Brandon Routh to whoever the hell plays him now.
    Is it just me, or did anybody else notice that after being the Ed Norton Hulk to start out, it shifted to the Mark Rufalo Hulk, the the Lou Ferigno Hulk to finish it off? Superman didn't change from Chris Reeve to Brandon Routh to whoever the hell plays him now.

I was chating with the author and he said that he was just doing a homage to hulk .
    Well, at least there's a reason for the Hulk. Why didn't he change Superman accordingly?
    Well, at least there's a reason for the Hulk. Why didn't he change Superman accordingly?

He just thinks Reeve is the definitive superman.