Is From Russia With Love Connery's best performance ???

13»

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Aside from the silly mask thing in the beginning, and the Popeye hat near the end, FRWL is gold.

:)) How I wish he had a corn pipe as well.
    One of the best Bond films ever, and the idea that someone might find something like Octopussy better paced and more entertaining is amusing, to say the least.
  • pachazopachazo Make Your Choice
    Hey, if I didn't know any better I'd think that @doubleohdad doesn't like Roger Moore! I think he needs to post it about 500 more times before we get the drift.
    I like FRWL better than Octopussy. Do you?

I think most people do.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there
    edited November 2014 Posts: 5,080

So what if somebody did?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Does anyone here find FRWL to be really slow & kind of uneventful? That's my recollection. I haven't seen it very recently, but I'm getting it on Blu Ray soon to refresh my memory. I fear that I'll find it beautiful, yet still travelling at sub-light.

It's a spy thriller, and so is allowed to have the occasional quiet moment, imo.

So what if somebody did?

I would respect their ability to have and opinion while questioning their ability to rate spy films.
    Does anyone here find FRWL to be really slow & kind of uneventful? That's my recollection. I haven't seen it very recently, but I'm getting it on Blu Ray soon to refresh my memory. I fear that I'll find it beautiful, yet still travelling at sub-light.

It's a spy thriller, and so is allowed to have the occasional quiet moment, imo.

If you have FRWL then you might want to skip Hitchcock entirely.
  • MayDayDiVicenzoMayDayDiVicenzo Here and there

So what if somebody did?

I would respect their ability to have and opinion while questioning their ability to rate spy films.

Rate spy films? Doesn't that, in turn, depend on ones opinion? The Bond films are so diverse...Different interpretations of the spy genre...Why can't one live and let live?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

If you have FRWL then you might want to skip Hitchcock entirely.

I'm not sure what you mean. From Russia With Love is one of my favourite Bond films, and i've seen a handful of Hitchcock films.
    There's a lot of Hitchcock in FRWL.
    Strong influence.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    Anyone here who hasn't had the privelege of watching North by Northwest really should. It's a complete masterpiece, especially considering when it was made.

Yes, there are a lot of influences from this film in particular (crop duster sequence, train sequence, big setpiece finale, auction sequence, witty repartee with main villain prior to attempting to kill hero) in FRWL & in later Bond films, like OP. Fleming apparently wanted Cary Grant for Bond as his first choice after watching North by Northwest. They approached him, but he said he'd do only one....and the rest is history.

It's one of Hitchcock's best, and a true benchmark for its time.....legendary is not a suitable enough adjective for how good this film is.

I love watching this one with FRWL since they both are movie classics. I also like Grant's Charade, but to a much lesser degree.

Re: pacing - no doubt OP is faster paced, but that is a completely different discussion from which is better.
    You can like FRWL and also enjoy OP. There is no conflict.
    I like The Exorcist and Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein, but I know which one is the clearer, better picture.
    That wasn't what I was saying.

I am saying you can have good and very good films. Just because you recognise FRWL's greatness doesn't mean you have to mock OP.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    I like The Exorcist and Abbot and Costello meet Frankenstein, but I know which one is the clearer, better picture.
    Absolutely. Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein is funny on purpose.
    :))
    Put that one out there knowing you were going to go for that, lol
    It's even funnier if you substitute FRWL and OP :)
    Getafix wrote: »
    NO! You have to hate ONE. That's how the world works, @Getafix. Hate defines us as a race. Without it, we'd be all...CO-OPERATIVE & s**t, and where's the fun in THAT?

:P
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    NO! You have to hate ONE. That's how the world works, @Getafix. Hate defines us as a race. Without it, we'd be all...CO-OPERATIVE & s**t, and where's the fun in THAT?

To stay on topic-Connery was just as good in DN and GF. TB even.

And I hate the Brosnan films.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 23,883
    To stay on topic-Connery was just as good in DN and GF. TB even.

Agreed on Connery. I liked him in DN, FRWL, & TB, with the last two being my favourite performances for some reason.

I thought he was good in GF as well, but something about it was off for me, only when compared to the other 3....can't put my finger on it....maybe it was the goofy stuff in the cell in Kentucky, or his interplay with Pussy, or because he kept getting beaten up/knocked out. Not sure.

Thought he wasn't quite on his game in either YOLT or DAF

Not hate one, but certainly be able to use critical thinking and see which one has more quality. Otherwise, there's no difference between Lawrence of Arabia and a mediocre picture, right?
    edited November 2014 Posts: 17,691
    Not hate one, but certainly be able to use critical thinking and see which one has more quality. Otherwise, there's no difference between Lawrence of Arabia and a mediocre picture, right?

Lawrence of Arabia was a mediocre picture; it was broadly disliked by the public & got terrible reviews.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Yes, FRWL is indeed Connery's best performance, having perfected his edgy yet calm and well-behaved character, thrown into one of the best storylines a spy fiction has ever seen. To be honest, I am an avid fanatic of Connery's first four.

Goldfinger, while being praised by almost everyone, being a huge box office success and all, I do love it to bits, but it certainly isn't Connery's best, regardless of having two of the best car chase sequences in the entire series, and that beloved DB5. I feel like Bond has been frequently outsmarted in that film, and he "almost didn't do anything" during the adventure.

In conclusion, FRWL gets my vote. :)
    Yes. FRWL is not only Connery's best Bond film, but also featured his best performance . . . despite the quips. His scene with Robert Shaw aboard the Orient Express should be proof.