Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2022 Posts: 2,928
    If they tradcast, I'd want Aidan Turner. If they 'raceswap', I'd want Sope. If they wanted to maintain the Craig-style left field choice...I honestly don't know. I can't see an equivalent of the 2005 Craig among current British actors.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    40 or 50 years from now, when he doesn t need his pacifier anymore to stop him from crying, maybe.

He'll be 80 in 40 years' time.

I agree with Peter though; not quite enough alpha in him. He's a superb actor though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2022 Posts: 5,869

Just feel he has great range. Also, spoilers for Bullet Train if you haven’t seen it.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I saw him and his wife at the Sound of 007 concert too.
  • SIS_HQSIS_HQ At the Vauxhall Headquarters
    edited November 2022 Posts: 3,390
    mtm wrote: »
    40 or 50 years from now, when he doesn t need his pacifier anymore to stop him from crying, maybe.

He'll be 80 in 40 years' time.

I agree with Peter though; not quite enough alpha in him. He's a superb actor though.

I'd say 3-5 years from now, maybe he could be Bond, as long as he could be matured enough for the role.
    I could definitely see him being the next Brosnan's Bond (handsome, sleek, stylish and modern).
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Denbigh wrote: »

Just feel he has great range. Also, spoilers for Bullet Train if you haven’t seen it.

I agree, @Denbigh! He was excellent in Bullet Train and potential Bond material in my opinion.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I agree, @Denbigh! He was excellent in Bullet Train and potential Bond material in my opinion.

He have the looks, I saw him with his short hair and little beard or near shaven.
    This guy have a potential.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited November 2022 Posts: 5,869
    MI6HQ wrote: »

He have the looks, I saw him with his short hair and little beard or near shaven.
    Yeah, he's got a good look. He was clean-shaven in The King's Man.

FLWXVvmUcAESw1k?format=jpg&name=large
    FLWXVweUcAAhgi5?format=jpg&name=large
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    I always think of Aaron Taylor Johnson as being a terrible actor, but I haven't seen him in much outside Godzilla and the MCU. Maybe he's improved since then?

Personally I think he'd be a big step backwards for the franchise, but maybe I need to update myself on him.
    I don't see him either, too young, same in the vein of Holland or Chalamet.

He (Garfield) needs to get matured enough, I could see him being similar to Brosnan's version of Bond.

Also too American.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited November 2022 Posts: 14,957
    He's only half American (just like Dalton) and was raised British, speaks with a British accent, lives in London etc.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Yeah I don't really get the "too American" thing in this instance. Although, it's probably a testament to Garfield's acting abilities!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Looking into it, Dalton actually has more in the way of American heritage, so obviously should never have been Bond :)
    For me, it definitely isn't an issue of Garfield's "Britishness" that prevents him from being a good Bond in my eyes.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    For me, it definitely isn't an issue of Garfield's "Britishness" that prevents him from being a good Bond in my eyes.

Same here. He's the best Spider-Man in my eyes, for good reason. And that same reason is why he's not a good fit for Bond.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Having an American mum didn't stop Churchill from becoming the British PM. So I think Dalton is safe from being excommunicated for having an American parentage. ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Of course they all end up American in the end! I think Dalton, Lazenby, Brosnan and Craig all have citizenship and live there don’t they? Or maybe George is back in Oz, I don’t know. Connery didn’t as far as I’m aware..?

Craig was potentially the first American to play Bond in the movies in NTTD, even.
    He's only half American (just like Dalton) and was raised British, speaks with a British accent, lives in London etc.

I didn't know that. But in any case I dknt think his look is right for Bond. And he's too famous.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 3,390
    He looks to young, not quite the masculine alpha male that I think of Bond.
    He looks like a College Student.

He's more into something like Q, wait, maybe he could play Q! I mean his performance in Spider man is a testament to this, he's a Science Student in there (was it Physics?).

Same here. He's the best Spider-Man in my eyes, for good reason. And that same reason is why he's not a good fit for Bond.

Yep. The two characters couldn't be farther apart.
    Having an American mum didn't stop Churchill from becoming the British PM. So I think Dalton is safe from being excommunicated for having an American parentage. ;)

It's not a question of having American parentage. If you were born and grew up in the UK, you'll have a natural British accent. Americans in general can't do a natural, convincing British accent.
    edited November 2022 Posts: 7,526
    Ludovico wrote: »

It's not a question of having American parentage. If you were born and grew up in the UK, you'll have a natural British accent. Americans in general can't do a natural, convincing British accent.

It's true. Americans (and us too) have such a small, monotonous speaking broadband, and the British have such a wide beautiful broadband; it makes sense that Americans have a lot of trouble expanding their voices to do a convincing British accent, whereas it's easier for the British to contain their voices and do an American one.

It's like going from theatre (big, communicate to the back of the room) to film (small, acting for the frame of a camera), vs film to theatre.

One thing that's helped me is looking at where in the mouth each accent generally comes from; American comes from the very tip of the mouth, almost outside, whereas British originates way back in the throat. It's all very generalized, but interesting information regardless.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I didn't know that. But in any case I dknt think his look is right for Bond. And he's too famous.

Did you think he speaks with an American accent, out of interest?

I've only ever seen him in American movies playing American characters. So yes.
  • edited November 2022 Posts: 893

Yeah, he's got a good look. He was clean-shaven in The King's Man.

FLWXVvmUcAESw1k?format=jpg&name=large
    FLWXVweUcAAhgi5?format=jpg&name=large

Think it's the first time I see him older and clean-shaven and he's definitely a top contender now in my mind!

... And I doubt he'll be very busy with Kraven sequels.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

I've only ever seen him in American movies playing American characters. So yes.

Interesting, fair enough. He does (because of his upbringing I assume) have a very convincing US accent.
    I think the first time I saw him playing American was in an episode of Doctor Who! :)

Here's his natural accent:

I think it has moved into the Atlantic a little, but is mostly still British I'd say.
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    Big fan of Aaron Taylor-Johnson getting it. He's been to a few of the more recent premieres, so he's certainly on their radar just through sheer association. I hope he gets a screen test.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited November 2022 Posts: 2,928
    Can't be easy navigating the fine line between an actor putting himself on EON's radar but not giving the impression that they're chasing it. I don't envy them trying to gauge it!
    The film "The Menu" with Ralph Fiennes is getting great reviews, including some praise for the performance of Nicholas Hoult.
    I wouldn't be surprised if the movie, including it's director, gets the attention of the Bond producers.
    I'm probably in the minority, but I think Hoult certainly could bring a fresh, interesting take on the Bond character.

• LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    edited November 2022 Posts: 1,430
    nicholas-hoult-with-parents-glenis-brown-and-roger-hoult-attend-the-picture-id1145897589

I like the guy sure enough but I'm not sure he'll ever look grown enough to me, given his father also looks rather young still. Bond shouldn't need facial hair to look mature.