Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    cooperman2 wrote: »
    Fassbender is definitely the one that got away. In a different world where Craig quit after SF Fassbender would have been perfect. Sadly, like Elba, probably too old to start now

I’ve said the exact same thing; had Craig left following Skyfall, and the wanted to continue his timeline, Fassbender would have been a perfect replacement.

I think Fassbender is still a potential candidate. Considering we're at only 2 films per decade now, I firmly believe the next actor will only do one film. If we're lucky he may do another, but the days of a new Bond actor signing on for multiple outings are probably long over. Barbara and Michael are no longer in any rush to get these films out on a regular schedule.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 14,799
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I think Fassbender is still a potential candidate. Considering we're at only 2 films per decade now, I firmly believe the next actor will only do one film. If we're lucky he may do another, but the days of a new Bond actor signing on for multiple outings are probably long over. Barbara and Michael are no longer in any rush to get these films out on a regular schedule.

I still think he's too old, especially since they did the ageing Bond three films in a row now. And he's too famous as well.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I still think he's too old, especially since rhey did the ageing Bond three films in a row now. And he's too famous as well.

I agree, the Fassbender ship has sailed.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Crying shame. He would have been perfect.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited June 2022 Posts: 14,861
    It is strange how we had these two pretty perfect candidates about 7 or so years ago, and yet there isn’t really anyone quite as ideal right now.
    They may have even dodged a bullet with Fassbender as I think I read his motor racing career has rather curtailed his movie acting one because of insurance issues.
    As I've written on the site in various places, I think it's time for a change in tone and style. They did very well with the arc in Craig's films, but just to do that or something similar now does not seem likely. That being said, a younger actor than Elba or Fassbender would be more likely. They're both terrific for portraying dashing, capable, physical men of great style and attractiveness, but I think those qualities would be sought in someone younger. An older actor would fit better in another "serious" set of stories, and I think it's time for the pendulum to swing over.
    Since62 wrote: »
    As I've written on the site in various places, I think it's time for a change in tone and style. They did very well with the arc in Craig's films, but just to do that or something similar now does not seem likely. That being said, a younger actor than Elba or Fassbender would be more likely. They're both terrific for portraying dashing, capable, physical men of great style and attractiveness, but I think those qualities would be sought in someone younger. An older actor would fit better in another "serious" set of stories, and I think it's time for the pendulum to swing over.

Which is NOT easy to say because both Elba and Fassbender are so cool...
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    edited June 2022 Posts: 4,247
    Not having Fassbender as Bond, hurts the same way Daniel Day-Lewis never became Bond. Although, with Day-Lewis' history of turning down big roles, I think he would have turned down Bond as well.
  • I'm still thinking Joe Alwyn could be a strong contender. He stars in Claire Denis's newest movie Stars at Noon, which just played at Cannes about a week ago and won the Grand Prix award. He seems like someone that would be on Barbara's radar. And he's aging well and looking a bit Bond-like, at least for someone that's only 31.

• CharmianBondCharmianBond Pett Bottom, Kent
    I've not heard of him but I like the look of him for the reasons I've got Lowden as my top pick, same difference I guess. Both early thirties, handsome and rugged but not overly so and more up and coming is where I think Barbara should be looking but she's the expert.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784
    GadgetMan wrote: »
    Not having Fassbender as Bond, hurts the same way Daniel Day-Lewis never became Bond. Although, with Day-Lewis' history of turning down big roles, I think he would have turned down Bond as well.

I don’t think many eligible British actors would have turned it down. Most seem to accept similar roles come audition time.

Also, I don’t get this discrimination against middle age actors, most Bond castings have been of people of that age group.
    Very interesting, he has a good look and voice. I’ll have to check out more of his work.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not heard of Joe Alwyn to be honest. But he does have a good look, and the voice works for me.
    First impressions would say, he's got potential. Good shout @HarmonyRockets
  • GadgetManGadgetMan Lagos, Nigeria
    I think the problem is, Joe Alwyn is dating Taylor Swift. Maybe another Tom Hiddleston situation? Maybe.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 175
    talos7 wrote: »
    Very interesting, he has a good look and voice. I’ll have to check out more of his work.

He was in The Favourite, if you watched that one. He was also in Mary Queen of Scots, The Last Letter from Your Lover (which used to be brought up all the time by Denbigh because it starred Callum Turner, but I wonder what he thought of Alwyn?), and some other decent films. He's already got a better resume than some of the TV actors mentioned on here, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, and he's starring in a new Hulu series called Conversations With Friends. Up until this point he's been more well known for dating Taylor Swift, but now it seems like his movie career might finally be taking off.

I am not a big fan of Joe Alwyn. However, I am rather excited by the rumours from Variety that Jacob Elordi is in the mix.

He has the angst of Timothee Chalamet in "Dune" and the intensity of Marlon Brando in his heyday. If it is Eon's plan to make the character younger and explore Bond's early days, then Elordi would seem to be a perfect fit for Bond. Firstly, he's young enough at 24 to do something new with the character, secondly, he isn't a cherub and still looks masculine, and thirdly, he has a devoted fanbase of young followers thanks to "Euphoria."

"Euphoria" is a terrific show and I would say Elordi is the most improved performer from Season 1 to Season 2 (especially in a show with some seriously terrific actors). There is a scene in the second season where he breaks into someone's house and forces them to play a game of Russian Roulette. It's really intense and you get a glimmer of what he could do as a young 007.

I am very excited that he has landed a role in Emerald Fennell's next film. I think he will be a massive talent in years to come. For those whom "Euphoria" may be a 'bit much', watch his Hugo Boss advert which functions as a mini Bond audition.

77p9D2W.jpg
    rzKfOIO.png
    q3hQusF.png
    pFZRTqd.png
    FT2flZFXwAAxn6_?format=jpg&name=large
    62a7b0902dc721c99b1b5960e4a9b09e.jpg
    FNlnxIvXwAMVeQX?format=jpg&name=large
    13.jpg
    P2j7EK1.png
    FR8U50KXIAIb_ab?format=jpg&name=large
    FRq92AVX0AQMscP?format=jpg&name=large
    FRq92AVX0AYih39?format=jpg&name=medium
    I'm still thinking Joe Alwyn could be a strong contender. He stars in Claire Denis's newest movie Stars at Noon, which just played at Cannes about a week ago and won the Grand Prix award. He seems like someone that would be on Barbara's radar. And he's aging well and looking a bit Bond-like, at least for someone that's only 31.

He's a coffee drinker, so he's got that in common with Bond. He's got gadgets too, of sorts. He could channel his personal experience into the role. With a shave to get rid of the stubble and a haircut, I could see him. He's worth an audition I think. Good find.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 784
    Is Jacob Elordi the unwanted child, Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis gave up for adoption on a trip to Australia, where he grew up not knowing his origin and too pretty, too validated and too sheltered to develop a personality and a sense of humour?

Maybe in 10 years if he starts chain smoking, becomes an alcoholic and catches an std or two from a trans prostitute.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 2,750
    Elordi's a handsome chap and I actually like him as an actor purely going from Euphoria, but I just don't get 'Bond' from him... if anything I'd want to see him as a villain weirdly (a sort of version of Largo from the novel - handsome but sadistic). I think it's the fact that he's just a touch too handsome, but not in a particularly distinctive way. It's rather unsettling when that's mixed with rather intense moments like the Russian roulette scene from Euphoria...

I've seen Alwyn in Operation Finale. There's something to him. Worth auditioning.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Elordi has a Robert Pattinson vibe to his looks, although slightly better looking I would say.
    @CraigMooreOHMSS Robert Pattinson is rather distinctive looking. He's a good looking guy, of course, but he has these features which stick out - his nose is rather flat, his face has a distinctive shape, his hair is always a bit messy etc. I mean, it makes him stand out, gives him something a bit different. It helps that he's an accomplished actor, prioritises interesting roles and has a bit of personality to him going from interviews.

Problem with Elordi is that he looks like one of the hundreds of generically good looking actors you see on American TV. I actually find myself forgetting what he looks like. That's not a slight on him or his talent as an actor - I've not seen enough of him to fully gauge that.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Elordi would be worth an audition, but maybe he's a bit too young? Plus with him being Australian would that go against him?
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    True, Barbara Broccoli's said quite clearly that the new guy 'should be British.' Ok, that's not a concrete 'will be', but it narrows down who they'll be looking at first.
    Elordi has a Robert Pattinson vibe to his looks, although slightly better looking I would say.

Spot on !
    I am not a big fan of Joe Alwyn. However, I am rather excited by the rumours from Variety that Jacob Elordi is in the mix.

I thought Variety was using Elordi as an example of the names being discussed for Bond on the internet, in the vein of Idris Elba and Tom Hardy. They weren't suggesting they themselves knew anything about him being considered for the role.

That said, I don't know if there had been much talk (if any) about Elordi on the internet prior to the Variety article. Certainly not on the level of Elba and Hardy.
    So I've been cracking jokes, posting pictures of Paddington Bear or Kermit the Frog, etc for Bond. Really not taking anyone seriously just yet (at least until we get an official release date announcement).
    So put me down for Jack Bannon as a solid choice. A friend sent me the trailer for PENNYWORTH and I think he's got what it may take.

image.jpg

I also really dig his haircut.
    His hairline is beyond distracting.
    talos7 wrote: »
    His hairline is beyond distracting.

Are you saying you see him more in the role of a grown-up Eddie Munster ?
    Well…