Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Why do so many actors today have to sport beards or stubbles to (I presume) look masculine?
    In part to compensate for their thin voices.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited February 2022 Posts: 14,991
    Why do so many actors today have to sport beards or stubbles to (I presume) look masculine?

Yes, no-one in history ever wore beards before 2 years ago, and that can be the only possible reason for it 8-|

I certainly can't imagine any of the guys who played Bond in the 20th century would have worn a beard for most of their life...
    mtm wrote: »

Yes, no-one in history ever wore beards before 2 years ago, and that can be the only possible reason for it 8-|

I certainly can't imagine any of the guys who played Bond in the 20th century would have worn a beard for most of their life...

But that's NOT what I said. It seems now that a lot of actors mentioned here sport facial hair. That's it that's all.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So what was Connery's reason for wearing facial hair? He must've thought he needed it to look manly.

Or maybe, like with lots of other guys, he just liked it.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    To me the point is younger actors using stubble or beard growth to look masculine as stated. Take It away and many times they don't.

Can't be applied to Connery at any age.

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    So Sean Connery was allowed to wear a beard because he just wanted to, but anyone else who does so now must be doing it because they're a little boy wanting to look older and no other reason?
    That's self-evidently nonsense.
    I don't recall Connery favoring a beard early in his career and he didn't have issues with masculinity. Ever.

Not many if any Sean Connery types suggested for the Bond role currently.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2022 Posts: 5,869
    But overall its worth noting that these people are actors and they can adapt their looks and voices (within reason) or "level of masculinity" to suit the roles they're playing so I think whether or not a beard makes someone look more masculine, I wouldn't say its a detractor from their possible casting.
    It is ridiculous and maddening to read someone make a valid point and someone else take off, deliberately - or by genuinely being obtuse and thick - missing or avoiding the point so as to show how skilled they think they are at sarcasm. It happens all over this website and is pathetic. Rather than read, be enlightened and enjoy, one winds up picking through the rubble for a few worthwhile items to read.
    The point is indeed well made that many of the actors who have been touted on this page are not convincing for a part that calls for being convincing at someone who can charm as well as fight, and look good doing both. Someone built well though not a body-builder. Someone who does not need facial hair to convince anyone else that they're all these things. Someone who sounds good and moves well. Many of those touted here are short, boy-like, or "emo" - really ?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Since62 wrote: »
    The point is indeed well made that many of the actors who have been touted on this page are not convincing for a part that calls for being convincing at someone who can charm as well as fight, and look good doing both. Someone built well though not a body-builder. Someone who does not need facial hair to convince anyone else that they're all these things. Someone who sounds good and moves well. Many of those touted here are short, boy-like, or "emo" - really ?
    But I also think some are too expectant of the actor to look exactly like James Bond or be exactly like James Bond from the off when that doesn't need to be the case. They're actors.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,934
    Beards have been fashionable in the UK for several years now. Started with imitating shaved-head-and-full-beard MMA fighters, spread to Victorian-Edwardian hipsters and then out into gen-pop. Young actors sport them for the fashion alone, I'd've thought. But if a beard-free Connery had shaved his legs and paraded in a pink tutu, he'd've still looked more masculine than 99% of the population! Connery's free testosterone would've eaten nanobots for breakfast, man.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I don't recall Connery favoring a beard early in his career and he didn't have issues with masculinity. Ever.

Ah I see, only older men can have beards...? These are some very puzzling rules! :))
    Venutius wrote: »
    Beards have been fashionable in the UK for several years now. Started with imitating shaved-head-and-full-beard MMA fighters, spread to Victorian-Edwardian hipsters and then out into gen-pop. Young actors sport them for the fashion alone, I'd've thought.

Exactly: just because someone under 50 wears a beard it doesn't mean that they are trying to look more masculine or make up for anything- it's just a style choice, and I think it's very odd to presume otherwise.
    Especially Taylor-Johnson: I don't think he's a great film star but he's not exactly lacking in the masculine looks department.
    So what was Connery's reason for wearing facial hair? He must've thought he needed it to look manly.

Or maybe, like with lots of other guys, he just liked it.

Oh jeez. Yeah, probably he just liked it, but he didn't need it to look manly in his youth. Hence my comment. In any case, it has nothing to do with previous Bond actors, or actors from previous generations. It's simply a trend I see nowadays.
    Too much made up stuff for me to follow. But Connery was great.

Ah I see, only older men can have beards...? These are some very puzzling rules! :))
    Beards have been fashionable in the UK for several years now. Started with imitating shaved-head-and-full-beard MMA fighters, spread to Victorian-Edwardian hipsters and then out into gen-pop. Young actors sport them for the fashion alone, I'd've thought.

Exactly: just because someone under 50 wears a beard it doesn't mean that they are trying to look more masculine or make up for anything- it's just a style choice, and I think it's very odd to presume otherwise.
    Especially Taylor-Johnson: I don't think he's a great film star but he's not exactly lacking in the masculine looks department.
    Oh Jesus, get over it! It was just a passing comment. I understand it's fashionable now. But it's a fair question regardless: can these actors look manly clean shaved? Some do, some might not.
    Older actors often use beards to compensate for a softening jawline.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Connery was testosterone personified. There’s not an actor in the world who could wear the one piece from Goldfinger and look as cool as Mr Connery did while strutting quietly through Jill’s hotel room and onto the balcony…
  • Be good to have a bearded Q in the next one.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Be good to have a bearded Q in the next one.
    Sneak peak at Q's Lab in Bond 26 ;)
    edited February 2022 Posts: 2,934
    peter wrote: »
    Connery was testosterone personified. There’s not an actor in the world who could wear the one piece from Goldfinger and look as cool as Mr Connery did while strutting quietly through Jill’s hotel room and onto the balcony…

Put anyone but Connery in the GF onesie and it would've tanked the series!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Venutius .... absolutely!!!
    Depending on the direction, Chris Hemsworth is still high on my list. He’s got the look, has grown as an actor and he’s got Charisma to spare. As far as the criticism that he’s to bulky to play Bond, remember, like Cavill he trains up to his superhero weight. He is naturally much lighter and has a lean athletic physique. His film “Extraction” was awesome; I’m looking forward to the now filming sequel.

https://screenrant.com/chris-hemsworth-after-thor-action-movies-furiosa-extraction/

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited March 2022 Posts: 14,991

Oh Jesus, get over it! It was just a passing comment. I understand it's fashionable now. But it's a fair question regardless: can these actors look manly clean shaved? Some do, some might not.

Well it was a passing insult really. The question wasn't that, it was "Why do so many actors today have to sport beards or stubbles to (I presume) look masculine?". Which is like someone accusing you of wearing trousers because you obviously think they make you look masculine.
    So to use your phrase, get over it, some men wear beards because they want to, that's the end of it.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Depending on the direction, Chris Hemsworth is still high on my list. He’s got the look, has grown as an actor and he’s got Charisma to spare. As far as the criticism that he’s to bulky to play Bond, remember, like Cavill he trains up to his superhero weight. He is naturally much lighter and has a lean athletic physique. His film “Extraction” was awesome; I’m looking forward to the now filming sequel.

https://screenrant.com/chris-hemsworth-after-thor-action-movies-furiosa-extraction/

Yes I'll watch that when it pops up. What I like about it is finally he's been able to 'do a Connery' and just use his natural accent in one of these big actioners.
    @mtm It was not meant as an insult. Just a comment on a trend.
    My latest bearded choice for the new James Bond. He's a little older now than when this photo was taken, but no doubt he could still pull it off.
    In addition, he could also sing the title song..................

kennyLoggins.jpg
  • ToTheRight wrote: »
    My latest bearded choice for the new James Bond. He's a little older now than when this photo was taken, but no doubt he could still pull it off.
    In addition, he could also sing the title song..................

kennyLoggins.jpg

Who is this please
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    It's Kenny Loggins.
    :D
    Well, he's got a beard and looks dashing in black tie. Why not?
    00Heaven wrote: »
    It's Kenny Loggins.

Well He is alright nobody worries about him why do you have to give him a fight can't you just let him be