Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

Creasy47 wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »
    I’m very open to other possibilities, but if I had to choose from three actors they would be, in no particular order…

Jack Lowden

Aidan Turner

Nicholas Hoult

Instead of me constantly putting him down, I'm curious to hear some insight and opinions from those who do want him to fill 007's shoes - what is it about Nicholas Hoult that screams James Bond to you?

A very well-asked question. Seriously, man...
    Did not realise he was the same age as DC, still looking good. He was my top choice many years ago.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/sep/30/guy-pearce-theres-always-someone-you-want-to-punch
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    patb wrote: »
    Surely, it's more subtle than "screaming James Bond" they are meant to be actors after all. We cant expect the actors to be driving AMs and drinking V Martini's. IMHO we are looking for the potential to become a great Bond and that could be a new type of Bond (as happened with DC). Hoult ticks certain/many boxes, especially if they go for a lighter, more comic tone but he is still good with the physical stuff.

No doubt, I recognize that, but amongst a wide swathe of possible candidates, surely there's something that sticks out to fans who view Hoult as a top contender for the position, hence why I asked. I haven't really cared for him myself in anything beyond Mad Max: Fury Road and I thought he was fine in the new Taylor Sheridan film, though not very threatening or scary as an assassin. I just don't see him as Bond personally but I'd be willing to give virtually anyone a shot in the role. If he can play the part well, so be it.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    patb wrote: »
    Surely, it's more subtle than "screaming James Bond" they are meant to be actors after all. We cant expect the actors to be driving AMs and drinking V Martini's. IMHO we are looking for the potential to become a great Bond and that could be a new type of Bond (as happened with DC). Hoult ticks certain/many boxes, especially if they go for a lighter, more comic tone but he is still good with the physical stuff.

No doubt, I recognize that, but amongst a wide swathe of possible candidates, surely there's something that sticks out to fans who view Hoult as a top contender for the position, hence why I asked. I haven't really cared for him myself in anything beyond Mad Max: Fury Road and I thought he was fine in the new Taylor Sheridan film, though not very threatening or scary as an assassin. I just don't see him as Bond personally but I'd be willing to give virtually anyone a shot in the role. If he can play the part well, so be it.
    I think for many of us it's not anything to do with any of Hoult's performances, which have generally been good but don't show anything particularly Bond-like; no, the reason he's high up as a top contender is that we know he was the runner-up for the Batman role, we can see his extensive experience in big-budget films, and the fact that he's the right age, tall, and good-looking. The Batman thing is enough to signal that people who cast films think he's a contender for that sort of heroic lead role, and they probably know what they're doing. On paper he's a front-runner, but you're right, I don't think we've seen him in anything that shouts 'Bond' at us yet.
    I still think it's going to be a fairly unknown and someone seldom mentioned here, if at all.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Definitely a Dalton vibe.
  • He’s got the look, for sure. Probably more so than any of the other ideas I’ve seen floating around.
    mtm wrote: »
    I think Hardy would be great, but mid-forties now is maybe a bit older than they'd probably be hoping for; plus he might be a bit too close to the Craig mould.

I think in one of those recent interviews Michael G Wilson mentioned something along the lines of continuing with what Craig established. I could see them going with Hardy regardless of age.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    I new have sugestion for Bond 8. Born in 1994. 27 Years old, so over 12 years he 39.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3441152/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

Israel Broussard. He is born in America, but he is of English, German, Scottish, and Irish ancestry. His Stepfather surname is French. He have looks a bit of younger Dominic West / Ciarán Hinds.

1.jpg

Israel-Broussard.jpg

https://theknockturnal.com/israel-broussard-graces-the-knockturnals-ninth-digital-cover/

https://www.abookof.us/openbook/israel-broussard

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I think Hardy would be great, but mid-forties now is maybe a bit older than they'd probably be hoping for; plus he might be a bit too close to the Craig mould.

I think in one of those recent interviews Michael G Wilson mentioned something along the lines of continuing with what Craig established. I could see them going with Hardy regardless of age.

Oh that's interesting, thanks.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Just an observation: "007 producer Barbara Broccoli has said she will not begin thinking about who will replace Daniel Craig as the next James Bond until 2022.
    -- Deadline, Sept 27, 2021

The click-bait headline is just that-- clickbait... BB says she won't begin to think about a replacement until 2022 (which last time I looked is a long calendar year... and that's when she will "begin thinking about who will replace Daniel Craig", not who WILL replace DC....)

peter wrote: »
    Just an observation: "007 producer Barbara Broccoli has said she will not begin thinking about who will replace Daniel Craig as the next James Bond until 2022.
    -- Deadline, Sept 27, 2021

The click-bait headline is just that-- clickbait... BB says she won't begin to think about a replacement until 2022 (which last time I looked is a long calendar year... and that's when she will "begin thinking about who will replace Daniel Craig", not who WILL replace DC....)

She did discuss it over dinner with Cary; she may not as keen on someone as she was was Daniel but I’m sure various actors have caught her eye.
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    6cc48fd72a41fd42dad6aa98395d3bc4.jpg
    10-Timothy-Dalton-James-Bond-007-License-to-Kill-Xtreme-Retro.png

f249c0c1d2316a6d5b0bcf95ff640899.jpg
    2FA1895100000578-0-image-m-13_1451232710486.jpg

He's got the classical look, the voice, the presence, too bad they're not going for that anymore. The future is probably just opened to a continuous subversion of the character until there's nothing more to recognise.
    Univex wrote: »

He's got the classical look, the voice, the presence, too bad they're not going for that anymore. The future is probably just opened to a continuous subversion of the character until there's nothing more to recognise.

Sadly I'd rather the film series end than let that happen.

Well, I've left the cinema today feeling it already did happen :(

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I'll be finding out next week what I think. I seriously considered skipping this one and waiting for Redbox.

Wow. Sorry to hear that. I'll be finding out next week what I think. I seriously considered skipping this one and waiting for Redbox.

Frankly, the film is worth it because of the brilliant first part. It's that good.

It's the rest that's the problem. But really, the first part is sooooooo good. You should see it in the cinema just for it.

Frankly, the film is worth it because of the brilliant first part. It's that good.

It's the rest that's the problem. But really, the first part is sooooooo good. You should see it in the cinema just for it.

That's good. Don't believe I can refund my ticket anyway. LOL :)

That's good. Don't believe I can refund my ticket anyway. LOL :)

There's also a fair chance you'll love the whole thing ;)
    I'm 26 now. I always imagined myself as a kid and even teenager playing James Bond. But I never figured out how to start acting back then and kind of left it by the wayside. But now as Craig has finished and there's all these conversations about Bond #7 and I've made my first steps as a filmmaker... I sincerely want to set out over the next however many years towards a goal of being the EIGHTH actor to play James Bond. It feels weird to admit that to anyone, especially the people of this forum, but there it is.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 15,785
    I'm 26 now. I always imagined myself as a kid and even teenager playing James Bond. But I never figured out how to start acting back then and kind of left it by the wayside. But now as Craig has finished and there's all these conversations about Bond #7 and I've made my first steps as a filmmaker... I sincerely want to set out over the next however many years towards a goal of being the EIGHTH actor to play James Bond. It feels weird to admit that to anyone, especially the people of this forum, but there it is.

One part I'd like to play is Mike Hammer.

I'm not from the UK so Bond would be out of the question for me. I'm also blond and under 6 ft..............hey wait a minute..... :)

I'm not from the UK so Bond would be out of the question for me. I'm also blond and under 6 ft..............hey wait a minute..... :)

I'm Canadian, but I intend to start working with a dialect/accent coach NOW. I feel I've faked British for so long that I could get away with it in conversation with a non-Brit, but I'm not interested in being a surface-level Bond. Just as with all the physical training it takes to play Bond, getting the voice perfect and fitting my vocal cords like a glove is essential.

Personally, I don't see it. Not on these pictures anyway.

I'm Canadian, but I intend to start working with a dialect/accent coach NOW. I feel I've faked British for so long that I could get away with it in conversation with a non-Brit, but I'm not interested in being a surface-level Bond. Just as with all the physical training it takes to play Bond, getting the voice perfect and fitting my vocal cords like a glove is essential.
    I think a Canadian could get the role, providing he can have a flawless British accent.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Agreed.
    suavejmf wrote: »

Agreed.

So much so, that the only thing I really want to do today is watch the first four Connery films in a row, like an anti-depressive therapeutic day. I am thoroughly depressed after yesterday's travesty.

I really need my dose of classic Bond. I'll probably read a Fleming novel or two as well.

Because I don't think they'll go for that for the next one. The next one will be even more jarring than Craig in many aspects. We won't recognise our beloved character anymore. It'll be like all of these shows coming out of British produced television, where they subvert History and literary characters for the sake of box checking, equality and inclusion, which used to be wonderful and valorous words, and now are the epitome of absolutism and segregation, as paradoxical as that sounds. It's a paradoxical world, anyway.

Listen, I'll feel better after TB and a novel. I just need my Domino and Fiona combo. I need to have fun again with Bond. I'll probably even watch a couple of Brosnan films, oh, and TMWTGG, yes, even that, just for the sake of good old fun.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England

Agreed.

So much so, that the only thing I really want to do today is watch the first four Connery films in a row, like an anti-depressive therapeutic day. I am thoroughly depressed after yesterday's travesty.

I really need my dose of classic Bond. I'll probably read a Fleming novel or two as well.

Because I don't think they'll go for that for the next one. The next one will be even more jarring than Craig in many aspects. We won't recognise our beloved character anymore. It'll be like all of these shows coming out of British produced television, where they subvert History and literary characters for the sake of box checking, equality and inclusion, which used to be wonderful and valorous words, and now are the epitome of absolutism and segregation, as paradoxical as that sounds. It's a paradoxical world, anyway.

Listen, I'll feel better after TB and a novel. I just need my Domino and Fiona combo. I need to have fun again with Bond. I'll probably even watch a couple of Brosnan films, oh, and TMWTGG, yes, even that, just for the sake of good old fun.

You have taste mate.

I want Michael Fassbender for the next Fleming plot inspired incarnation.

In terms of the Craig era:

CR - Best
    First 30 mins/ pre-title sequence of NTTD
    QoS
    SF
    Rest of NTTD
    SP - Worst

Agreed.

You have taste mate.

I want Michael Fassbender for the next Fleming plot inspired incarnation.

In terms of the Craig era:

CR - Best
    First 30 mins/ pre-title sequence of NTTD
    QoS
    SF
    Rest of NTTD
    SP - Worst

I too like QOS. A lot ;)

And I agree, with time I'm sure I'll see the first 40 m of NTTD as magnificent. I just need to detach them from the rest of the film. Bring on the blu ray ;)
    I wonder if Cary was painted into a corner with how the producers, including Craig, wanted the film to end. He obviously “gets” Bond; I would like to see what he could do with a clean slate and new actor.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited October 2021 Posts: 2,483
    talos7 wrote: »
    I wonder if Cary was painted into a corner with how the producers, including Craig, wanted the film to end. He obviously “gets” Bond; I would like to see what he could do with a clean slate and new actor.

Yeah I would be up for that too