Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• MSL49 wrote: »
    How about Rupert Friend, 38 and he made test for CR?

Oh I hadn't thought of him at all. Would have assumed he is much older. Probably at the upper edge of the possible age range, but I am very intruiged by this possibility. His is probably an exactly right career path/point in the career. Has done loads of stuff, but nothing on the "first line of the obituary"-level. Experienced in action and espionage roles, but not necessarily proto-Bond.
    I've never seen Homeland, which is most likely the lynchpin of his "candidacy". Can anybody weigh in there?

Liked him in Death of Stalin...

Homeland Season 4 Episode 10. If you wonder how Rupert Friend could be as Bond watch this episode.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    parkert5 wrote: »
    MSL49 wrote: »
    How about Rupert Friend, 38 and he made test for CR?

Oh I hadn't thought of him at all. Would have assumed he is much older. Probably at the upper edge of the possible age range, but I am very intruiged by this possibility. His is probably an exactly right career path/point in the career. Has done loads of stuff, but nothing on the "first line of the obituary"-level. Experienced in action and espionage roles, but not necessarily proto-Bond.
    I've never seen Homeland, which is most likely the lynchpin of his "candidacy". Can anybody weigh in there?

Liked him in Death of Stalin...

Homeland Season 4 Episode 10. If you wonder how Rupert Friend could be as Bond watch this episode.

He's superb throughout season four and five of Homeland.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Again in my books, we're looking for an actor to play James Bond in about four-five years (give or take), not tomorrow, so what might seem like strange choices now, may seem perfect by then. I don't mean Chalamet by the way, he's still on my future villain list.

I actually think he has a lot of potential as a future villain. He does have that intensity and awkwardness, doesn't he? And he seems to be really smart, with the intelligence behind the eye.
    Exactly, besides the more creepy edge, I imagine following suit to someone like Rami Malek in terms of how they'd approach a Bond villain.

He looks like Dominic Greene’s son IMO!
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Some of the suggestions on here are laughable. We don't need a true these. What we need is someone, who of course, can act, but they really need an alpha male vibe, and a big screen presence.

Definitely not someone, like Timothy Chalamet, who whilst being a decent actor, seems as though he is barely of his mother's teet.

+1.

Chalamet looks like a malnourished Emo teenager to me. But each to their own.

If the suggestion was on a social media site (and not on here), I genuinely would think it was a p*** take, rather than a serious suggestion.

It does help if you actually read the thread to put things into some kind of context.

I was commenting on the suggestion of Chamalet as a Bond candidate (both now or in the future). Which has been done many times on this thread.

As a future villain, I suppose so. I’m not really bothered either way.

And the point was that he won't look like a 'malnourished emo teenager' in 10 years time.

We don't know that, to be honest i am not convinced with the idea that an actor might mature in 10 years or so, how can anyone be so sure that he or any other name might get mature in that time? It's a fun game and we can make speculation but i am not convinced.

Firstly, who said I was sure? Secondly, I didn't say he would 'mature' but that he could fill out and look more 'masculine' or beefy in the future. And thirdly, isn't this thread about speculation?

Also, wouldn't it be some kind of miracle if he didn't look older and more mature in ten years?

• ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    Again in my books, we're looking for an actor to play James Bond in about four-five years (give or take), not tomorrow, so what might seem like strange choices now, may seem perfect by then. I don't mean Chalamet by the way, he's still on my future villain list.

I actually think he has a lot of potential as a future villain. He does have that intensity and awkwardness, doesn't he? And he seems to be really smart, with the intelligence behind the eye.
    Exactly, besides the more creepy edge, I imagine following suit to someone like Rami Malek in terms of how they'd approach a Bond villain.

Some of the suggestions on here are laughable. We don't need a true these. What we need is someone, who of course, can act, but they really need an alpha male vibe, and a big screen presence.

Definitely not someone, like Timothy Chalamet, who whilst being a decent actor, seems as though he is barely of his mother's teet.

+1.

If the suggestion was on a social media site (and not on here), I genuinely would think it was a p*** take, rather than a serious suggestion.

It does help if you actually read the thread to put things into some kind of context.

I was commenting on the suggestion of Chamalet as a Bond candidate (both now or in the future). Which has been done many times on this thread.

And the point was that he won't look like a 'malnourished emo teenager' in 10 years time.

We don't know that, to be honest i am not convinced with the idea that an actor might mature in 10 years or so, how can anyone be so sure that he or any other name might get mature in that time? It's a fun game and we can make speculation but i am not convinced.

Firstly, who said I was sure? Secondly, I didn't say he would 'mature' but that he could fill out and look more 'masculine' or beefy in the future. And thirdly, isn't this thread about speculation?

Also, wouldn't it be some kind of miracle if he didn't look older and more mature in ten years?

Yes he could but i was simply stating he might not as well. The reason Turner is mentioned more because he looks ready to take up the mantle, wouldn't Eon look for someone who looks mature "at the moment" rather than who might look mature in ten years? By "at the moment" i meant when they start casting process.

+1.

Yes he could but i was simply stating he might not as well. The reason Turner is mentioned more because he looks ready to take up the mantle, wouldn't Eon look for someone who looks mature "at the moment" rather than who might look mature in ten years? By "at the moment" i meant when they start casting process.

+1.

We've dealt with these questions further up the thread. It looks likes you've wondered in midway through the discussion.

+1.

+1.

We've dealt with these questions further up the thread. It looks likes you've wondered in midway through the discussion.

That sounded a bit harsh. Didn't meant it that way.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    edited September 2020 Posts: 395
    Friend fit's in that Brosnan mold (test's and get the role year's later).
  • MSL49 wrote: »

Yeah. Moore and Dalton were looked at much earlier as well. I like Friend he would keep that Craig/Dalton tone. He's not my first choice but he's an excellent choice.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    parkert5 wrote: »

Yeah. Moore and Dalton were looked at much earlier as well. I like Friend he would keep that Craig/Dalton tone. He's not my first choice but he's an excellent choice.

You are right with Moore and Dalton.
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    Friend was absolutely brilliant in Homeland. He'd nail Bond.
    Friend was absolutely brilliant in Homeland. He'd nail Bond.

Never saw homeland but based on the pics i have seen of him yeah he would be far better then 90% of the suggestions
    I always loved this scene.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    I still struggle to get behind it. I could see him as someone more like Alec Trevelyan than James Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah, I think he's certainly worth a try. Seems very strong there.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    He’s got presence, but every time he closes his mouth it looks like he’s sucking on his bottom lip. Very distracting for me and took away his sex appeal.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 8,034
    peter wrote: »
    He’s got presence, but every time he closes his mouth it looks like he’s sucking on his bottom lip. Very distracting for me and took away his sex appeal.

Damn, no wonder nobody liked my Peter Quinn impressions at the board meetings in work!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,951
    It was probably the American accent that confused them! :)
    And maybe all the talk of Syrian terrorists...
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Not sure if this is anything but I've been watching Condor, and my Mrs noticed last night, it's produced by MGM and Skydance (Mission Impossible), it got me thinking I wonder if they're keeping tabs on the lead actor, Max Irons?
    He's Jeremy Irons son, he's British, 34 and he's 6′ 2

Personally he wouldn't be my choice, he doesn't really have a leading man presence in Condor, but that's character he plays in that series. Could he be up for a screentest when the time comes?
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Not sure if this is anything but I've been watching Condor, and my Mrs noticed last night, it's produced by MGM and Skydance (Mission Impossible), it got me thinking I wonder if they're keeping tabs on the lead actor, Max Irons?

Personally he wouldn't be my choice, he doesn't really have a leading man presence in Condor, but that's character he plays in that series. Could he be up for a screentest when the time comes?

He's the spitting image of his mother, though. Just saying that because, in this particular case, he'd be more apt for the part if his father's genetics were more prevalent. In other words, he has a soft, round, amicable face. No cruelty or hardness to it at all. But I do see your point, and Max has been mentioned in this thread every so often.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Jordo007 wrote: »

He's the spitting image of his mother, though. Just saying that because, in this particular case, he'd be more apt for the part if his father's genetics were more prevalent. In other words, he has a soft, round, amicable face. No cruelty or hardness to it at all. But I do see your point, and Max has been mentioned in this thread every so often.

Oh I didn't realise he'd been mentioned. Yeah I'm with you mate, I can't see him in the role myself. He just strikes me as quite laid back and passive really
    I started Condor last week and he is pretty good in it, all the same!
    He's no Robert Redford, but yes, Condor was a good show, the first season at least.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    I think he is too boyish and young when you compare him to another candidates out there.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    Sam Neill would have been a good choice too like Dalton and Brosnan were.
    Sam Neill would have been a good choice too like Dalton and Brosnan were.

I always thought so, too. Many wrote him off, but I think he was certainly a missed opportunity. Neill has it all.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,951
    Yes, I was watching Reilly Ace Of Spies on Talking Pictures TV a few months ago and it's very easy to see what Michael G saw. Very suave and very commanding.
    Hey, if the guy handled raptors, he could've handled anything. I've always liked Sam Neil. A very eclectic actor. But to be fair, his short audition video wasn't that good, I'm afraid, IMO of course. I found him a bit effete, even. And he's usually so intense and commanding.
    I would love to see the full thing one day.

I always get strong Bondian vibes or wishes of what could have been when I see the opening scene of Dead Calm. Though perhaps that's natural, considering the uniform!

maxresdefault.jpg
  • WillyGalore_ReduxWillyGalore_Redux I like my beer cold, my TV loud and my homosexuals flaaaaaaming
    I follow Sam Neill on Twitter. He's just such an amazing personality.
    This was one of my favourite things to happen during lockdown

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Hey, if the guy handled raptors, he could've handled anything. I've always liked Sam Neil. A very eclectic actor. But to be fair, his short audition video wasn't that good, I'm afraid, IMO of course. I found him a bit effete, even. And he's usually so intense and commanding.

I agree. Good actor, but that short screen test wasn’t Bond IMO.