Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Again in my books, we're looking for an actor to play James Bond in about four-five years (give or take), not tomorrow, so what might seem like strange choices now, may seem perfect by then. I don't mean Chalamet by the way, he's still on my future villain list.

Yes it's true: I think our man will have had to have had a bit of a breakthrough role by then though.
    Chalamet is about to star in a massive blockbuster which may lead to a series (although do we expect Dune to be a hit? I'm not so sure) so I think even if he were the most perfect candidate in everyone's eyes, with that and the pretty successful more arthouse dramatic stuff he's been doing, his career is looking like it's going to be in almost too strong a position to consider being tied to Bond. Although I guess they make these films so infrequently, and you've had folks like Bale and Pattinson doing Batman, so perhaps not.
    Univex wrote: »
    mtm wrote: »
    I'm not sure why..? All I said is that if you want to say again you don't like the idea of Chalamet then go for it, no-one's stopping you.

Can you believe this guy? Again, don't push it.

No idea what you're objecting to. I presume you're trying to start an argument so I'll leave you to it.
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 3,279
    peter wrote: »
    After seeing Tenet, it is a shame that Pattinson is doing Batman. He has an attractive “strangeness” about him that I think would have translated well onto James Bond. In this film he was handsome and charming, moved well in his action sequences, but there was something a little “off” about him when he smiled... Very appealing, he made his performance come off as effortless, natural.

I thought so too. There is something of a 50's upper class English look about him, in fact he resembles Fleming from certain angles.

He would get a thumbs up from me, but doubt he would get the part now that he has signed on to Batman. EON don't do super hero actors from other franchises as a rule.

Otherwise EON should be going all out out to find an alpha male Connery type. Someone tall, imposing, tough looking, dark hair, dark eyes, deep voice, charismatic. We haven't had a Bond like that since Connery & Lazenby.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    peter wrote: »
    After seeing Tenet, it is a shame that Pattinson is doing Batman. He has an attractive “strangeness” about him that I think would have translated well onto James Bond. In this film he was handsome and charming, moved well in his action sequences, but there was something a little “off” about him when he smiled... Very appealing, he made his performance come off as effortless, natural.

I thought so too. There is something of a 50's upper class English look about him, in fact he resembles Fleming from certain angles.

Yes I said the same about the 50s look: there is something quite 'period' about him somehow.

Folks did think Tenet might be a period movie when it started shooting in fact, didn't they? I wonder if it was just his look doing that! :)
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    Which is the weird thing really: you need a star about to break through but any that are stars might well not want to do it! :)

The unspoken (well we kind of speak of it constantly, but anyway) problem of this thread. We will run up against that about 4.000 times until a name is announced and even then we will play the same game: "X is good." "No, he is not experienced enough, how about Y?" "Y is too big a star, he'll never do it." And around and around we go.

In roughly 1 to 2 years one of the contenders will pull out a very good performance and then we will again go: "Uuuh, he really moved to the top of the pack." "No way, he is too big now, he'll never do it." And around and around we'll go.

At the end of the day, that is what the producers and the casting people working for them are paid very handsomely for. To pick someone out of a mass of vaguely similar looking British guys and hope that with the best help they can possibly give him, he will find Bond. And they may fail. The next Bond could suck. But we will never be of one mind. "Z is aweful, I hope they recast soon. Should have gone with X, like I've always said." "Are you crazy. Z is the best Bond since, Connery/Moore/Craig." And around and around we'll go.

And that is the fun of it. We will always find something to argue about and there will always be someone coming along being of a different opinion than anybody else. And unless they really, comprehensively screw up at some point, there will always be the possibility of a new film, a new actor to argue about.

/end of weird meta rant.

So how about Billy Howle?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    No, @ImpertinentGoon, he's not experienced enough! ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited September 2020 Posts: 14,961
    /end of weird meta rant.

So how about Billy Howle?

Haha! Love it! :D I agree with what you're saying though.

Also: Howle seems a good possible shout to me and not a name I've seen considered before. I didn't finish MotherFatherSon but I remember him being pretty strong in it- I need to go back to it as I think it's on BritBox now.

Otherwise EON should be going all out out to find an alpha male Connery type. Someone tall, imposing, tough looking, dark hair, dark eyes, deep voice, charismatic. We haven't had a Bond like that since Connery & Lazenby.

I'd say Craig embodies alpha male moreso than anyone since Connery- the height doesn't make much difference to me. Dalton is taller and actually quite a big bloke but doesn't look it onscreen somehow. Maybe it's the 80s hair! :)
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    There is something about Pattinson's face I find quite annoying. Not Bond.

Me too, i really can't see what's so special about him? I find his acting mediocre. He is good looking fellow no doubt, just not for bond.

+1.
    Roadphill wrote: »
    Some of the suggestions on here are laughable. We don't need a true these. What we need is someone, who of course, can act, but they really need an alpha male vibe, and a big screen presence.

Definitely not someone, like Timothy Chalamet, who whilst being a decent actor, seems as though he is barely of his mother's teet.

+1.

Chalamet looks like a malnourished Emo teenager to me. But each to their own.

If the suggestion was on a social media site (and not on here), I genuinely would think it was a p*** take, rather than a serious suggestion.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,869
    Again in my books, we're looking for an actor to play James Bond in about four-five years (give or take), not tomorrow, so what might seem like strange choices now, may seem perfect by then. I don't mean Chalamet by the way, he's still on my future villain list.

I actually think he has a lot of potential as a future villain. He does have that intensity and awkwardness, doesn't he? And he seems to be really smart, with the intelligence behind the eye.
    Exactly, besides the more creepy edge, I imagine following suit to someone like Rami Malek in terms of how they'd approach a Bond villain.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 5,131

I actually think he has a lot of potential as a future villain. He does have that intensity and awkwardness, doesn't he? And he seems to be really smart, with the intelligence behind the eye.
    Exactly, besides the more creepy edge, I imagine following suit to someone like Rami Malek in terms of how they'd approach a Bond villain.

Chalamet looks like Dominic Greene’s son IMO!
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I think he's definitely got a strong look and I remember him being very good; I'll have to have another look.

b881949584z1_20190515145124_000g6s1gvjtu2-0-zazdvs2z3k870b7xas2_fct2040x1145_t1880.jpg

I am a bit puzzled why we haven't had another woman villain to be honest. It would give it a bit of variety.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I am a bit puzzled why we haven't had another woman villain to be honest. It would give it a bit of variety.
    It is a shame, even a proper femme-fatale ala Fiona Volpe would've been highly welcomed in the Craig-era.
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Some of the suggestions on here are laughable. We don't need a true these. What we need is someone, who of course, can act, but they really need an alpha male vibe, and a big screen presence.

Definitely not someone, like Timothy Chalamet, who whilst being a decent actor, seems as though he is barely of his mother's teet.

+1.

If the suggestion was on a social media site (and not on here), I genuinely would think it was a p*** take, rather than a serious suggestion.

It does help if you actually read the thread to put things into some kind of context.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It is a shame, even a proper femme-fatale ala Fiona Volpe would've been highly welcomed in the Craig-era.

True, although I wouldn't be too bothered about seeing another one who uses her sexuality to kill; I think we've kind of done that and could do something more interesting. For my money Volpe is way better than Largo: Bond barely interacts with Largo whereas you can tell he pretty much hates Fiona.

Apparently Rosamund Pike has been saying out of all her roles Frost is the one she'd choose to return to (I have to watch the interview to see what her angle is) but she'd make a good main baddie. I think she was one of the best things in DAD.

EDIT: Yes, here you go. Rather fun!

• mtm wrote: »

I'd say Craig embodies alpha male moreso than anyone since Connery- the height doesn't make much difference to me. Dalton is taller and actually quite a big bloke but doesn't look it onscreen somehow. Maybe it's the 80s hair! :)

Yes I agree. Craig is the closest to that.

As for Dalton's 80's hair, it is something which carried over into the 90's with Brozza too (particularly GE). I didn't realise how tall Dalton was until I saw Hot Fuzz. He literally towers over everyone.

He looks like Dominic Greene’s son IMO!

+1.

It does help if you actually read the thread to put things into some kind of context.

I was commenting on the suggestion of Chamalet as a Bond candidate (both now or in the future). Which has been done many times on this thread.

As a future villain, I suppose so. I’m not really bothered either way.
  • MSL49MSL49 Finland
    How about Rupert Friend, 38 and he made test for CR?
  • FatherValentineFatherValentine England

+1.

I was commenting on the suggestion of Chamalet as a Bond candidate (both now or in the future). Which has been done many times on this thread.

And the point was that he won't look like a 'malnourished emo teenager' in 10 years time.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes I agree. Craig is the closest to that.

As for Dalton's 80's hair, it is something which carried over into the 90's with Brozza too (particularly GE).

Yes, he's got surprisingly long, collar-tickling hair in that! :D
    I didn't realise how tall Dalton was until I saw Hot Fuzz. He literally towers over everyone.

Yes same, here. It's so weird how he looks huge in all other films but not his Bonds somehow. (I think he's actually got more charisma in his other roles too, to be honest, but let's not get into that :D )

I saw him onstage a couple of times and he is surprisingly massive.
    MSL49 wrote: »

Did he really? Wow they went really young for that.

Funny to think that potentially we could have had the same actor playing Bond for twenty or more years if they'd gone as young as they'd looked at some candidates for.

+1.

And the point was that he won't look like a 'malnourished emo teenager' in 10 years time.

Very true. But judging by pictures and films now, he looks ‘odd’ and will probably do so in 10 years (a tad ‘ratty). He might not do.......

But compared to the other past actors he doesn’t look like a Bond IMO. Not to mention the fact that he’s not even British.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

+1.

But judging by pictures and films now, he looks ‘odd’ and will probably do so in 10 years. He might not do.......

But compared to the other past actors he doesn’t look like a Bond IMO. Not to mention the fact that he’s not even British.

When you say 'not to mention' do you mean 'something you mention quite a lot'..? ;)

I'm being playful.

+1.

But judging by pictures and films now, he looks ‘odd’ and will probably do so in 10 years. He might not do.......

When you say 'not to mention' do you mean 'something you mention quite a lot'..? ;)

I'm being playful.

True. Ha ha ha. I do bang on about wanting a Brit whenever possible.

Just hadn’t mentioned it on this particular occasion and didn’t want to miss out! ;)
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    edited September 2020 Posts: 1,351
    MSL49 wrote: »

Oh I hadn't thought of him at all. Would have assumed he is much older. Probably at the upper edge of the possible age range, but I am very intruiged by this possibility. His is probably an exactly right career path/point in the career. Has done loads of stuff, but nothing on the "first line of the obituary"-level. Experienced in action and espionage roles, but not necessarily proto-Bond.
    I've never seen Homeland, which is most likely the lynchpin of his "candidacy". Can anybody weigh in there?

Liked him in Death of Stalin...
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I did mention him earlier in the thread, he's certainly not wrong for it.

I am interested by your Howle suggestion too though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I've never really been a fan of Rupert Friend as an actor to be honest. Plus I've always seen him more as a creepy villain, and I've always thought he looks very American - f that makes any sense.
  • ThunderballThunderball playing Chemin de Fer in a casino, downing Vespers
    I’m an American and I don’t think Friend looks American. Definitely would better suit a villain role, though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I’m an American and I don’t think Friend looks American. Definitely would better suit a villain role, though.
    I think it's just that, in some pictures. he looks like he'd be the lead in a CBS detective drama or summin'
  • edited September 2020 Posts: 727
    What do Americans look like? Most look German to me. And Irish.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India

+1.

We don't know that, to be honest i am not convinced with the idea that an actor might mature in 10 years or so, how can anyone be so sure that he or any other name might get mature in that time? It's a fun game and we can make speculation but i am not convinced.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

+1.

We don't know that, to be honest i am not convinced with the idea that an actor might mature in 10 years or so, how can anyone be so sure that he or any other name might get mature in that time?

Well that's kind of what humans do...