Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

mtm wrote: »
    Casting Aaron Taylor-Johnson as the next Bond would mark another sad chapter in Hollywood’s revisionist crusade

I have serious reservations about choosing a guy who more or less got out of his school uniform to marry a mother of two more than twice his age playing the freewheeling adventurous machismo that is James Bond, writes Nicholas Sheppard.

https://www.skynews.com.au/insights-and-analysis/casting-aaron-taylorjohnson-as-the-next-bond-would-mark-another-sad-chapter-in-hollywoods-revisionist-crusade/news-story/a4284f01c008fcd0ef31c41278e89962

What a load of old crap. Just because he hasn't lived like 007 he can't play 007? Someone introduce this guy to the concept of 'acting'.

After method acting, biographical acting.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    edited January 2023 Posts: 4,311

The first time I watched Bullet Train i didn't like it but the second time i watched it i liked it.

I consider my time too precious to watch a movie I did not enjoy a second time. Why did you do it?
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    It's like when Piers Morgan got his knickers in a twist over a photo of Daniel Craig carrying his baby in a papoose, saying 007 had been 'emasculated'. It's just baiting, culture wars crap.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    It's like when Piers Morgan got his knickers in a twist over a photo of Daniel Craig carrying his baby in a papoose, saying 007 had been 'emasculated'. It's just baiting, culture wars crap.

Or a few here who figured that Craig couldn't be Bond because of his little "crossdressing" video from years ago. Worse still, Craig wore protective gear when taken by boat to his official announcement as Bond in '05. Some on the old forum got seriously worked up over that (along with those retards at CraigNotBond and several tabloids) because "Bond doesn't need protective gear." I guess it's too big a stretch for some that the fictional character and the real man aren't one and the same...
  • 007InAction007InAction Australia
    edited January 2023 Posts: 2,341
    zebrafish wrote: »

The first time I watched Bullet Train i didn't like it but the second time i watched it i liked it.

I consider my time too precious to watch a movie I did not enjoy a second time. Why did you do it?

The same reason i watched qos and nttd a second time. I gave them a "second chance" but i still hate them both. Both just about unwatchable for me.

It's like when you hear a song for the first time and you think it's just average but sometimes the more you hear it you get to like it.

I watched spectre in the cinema and liked it, but when i watched it again i didn't.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited January 2023 Posts: 14,861
    DarthDimi wrote: »

Or a few here who figured that Craig couldn't be Bond because of his little "crossdressing" video from years ago. Worse still, Craig wore protective gear when taken by boat to his official announcement as Bond in '05. Some on the old forum got seriously worked up over that (along with those retards at CraigNotBond and several tabloids) because "Bond doesn't need protective gear." I guess it's too big a stretch for some that the fictional character and the real man aren't one and the same...

That still gets brought up and I never understood it as a complaint, even at the time. Just wanting to look like a spy doesn't save you from drowning, or from rules and regulations. It doesn't even make him look weak to my eye, it's just what people in boats wear. He was surrounded by actual, not pretend, super-tough Royal Marines and they were wearing them too.

That still gets brought up and I never understood it as a complaint, even at the time. Just wanting to look like a spy doesn't save you from drowning, or from rules and regulations. It doesn't even make him look weak to my eye, it's just what people in boats wear. He was surrounded by actual, not pretend, super-tough Royal Marines and they were wearing them too.

Indeed. Craig has nothing to be ashamed for. He performed more stunts himself than any other actor in the series.

Funny, as Roger Moore played a woman in The Persuaders (Sinclair's aunt). Very convincingly I might add.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2023 Posts: 40,368
    It's the same people who think a gay man can't play Bond (like Luke Evans). It's called acting. Otherwise, we might as well despise every Bond actor for not actually being an elite British spy in real life with innumerable kills on their record.
  • edited January 2023 Posts: 21
    zebrafish wrote: »

The same reason i watched qos and nttd a second time. I gave them a "second chance" but i still hate them both. Both just about unwatchable for me.

It's like when you hear a song for the first time and you think it's just average but sometimes the more you hear it you get to like it.

I watched spectre in the cinema and liked it, but when i watched it again i didn't.

I realized how awesome TND was on a second watch. Gotta love the "stuff it, lets double down on Goldeneye" approach.
    edited January 2023 Posts: 23,447
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's the same people who think a gay man can't play Bond (like Luke Evans). It's called acting. Otherwise, we might as well despise every Bond actor for not actually being an elite British spy in real life with innumerable kills on their record.

Imagine EON recruiting a new Bond actor in a max security prison somewhere. :-D
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    edited January 2023 Posts: 40,368
    Creasy47 wrote: »

Imagine EON recruiting a new Bond actor in a max security prison somewhere. :-D

Having him chained up and under a tight armed security watch, just in case, when he's finally announced to the world.
  • VenutiusVenutius Yorkshire
    Gah, what does George know about James Bond? ;)
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited January 2023 Posts: 7,888
    Venutius wrote: »
    Gah, what does George know about James Bond? ;)

He know that he screwed up a chance of a lifetime.
    That he does, talos. Indeed. I imagine George had more than a few sleepless nights in the '70s when it dawned on him...
    I think it was best for the franchise though. It needed Roger Moore.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    If only they’d got him for OHMSS…
  • StarkStark France
    According to the Patreon of Daniel Richtman (Daniel RPK on Twitter and journalist for CNBC, known to be reliable), Aaron Taylor Johnson had 4 meetings with the producers and would be close to a deal to play Bond.
    If only they’d got him for OHMSS…

I think Lazenby needed to "fail" though. And Connery to come back. But I think only Moore could succeed to Connery at the time and hope to be successful.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,834
    Stark wrote: »
    According to the Patreon of Daniel Richtman (Daniel RPK on Twitter and journalist for CNBC, known to be reliable), Aaron Taylor Johnson had 4 meetings with the producers and would be close to a deal to play Bond.
    I'm interested to hear what people of this. Surprised it hasn't started more of a discussion.

Just out of interest @Stark, did you see the post yourself?
  • Stark wrote: »
    I only know Richtman for his "scoops" about DC movies and he never seemed to be a reliable source. If what he says happened, then good. But I don't believe it.
  • StarkStark France
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm interested to hear what people of this. Surprised it hasn't started more of a discussion.

No, it's a (reliable) French Youtuber who shared the information. He is a subscriber to Daniel Richtman's Patreon.

The video for those who understand French: https://youtube.com/watch?v=7IBEEx3T8iw

On Daniel Richtman's Patreon we can see that he indeed shared information about James Bond on January 10th.
  • StarkStark France
    I only know Richtman for his "scoops" about DC movies and he never seemed to be a reliable source. If what he says happened, then good. But I don't believe it.

He's been wrong before, but he's often revealed scoops too. For example, he was the first to reveal Professor Charles Xavier's cameo in Doctor Strange 2.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2023 Posts: 5,834
    I found this, gives you an idea of some different scoops he's come with. Mainly focused on Disney though.

https://thedirect.com/directfact/outlet/daniel-rpk/
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    Denbigh wrote: »

No, it's a (reliable) French Youtuber who shared the information. He is a subscriber to Daniel Richtman's Patreon.

The video for those who understand French: https://youtube.com/watch?v=7IBEEx3T8iw

On Daniel Richtman's Patreon we can see that he indeed shared information about James Bond on January 10th.

Has he ever had any scoops regarding Bond? I mean the ATJ stuff came out before Christmas and his information sort of adds to it, instead of breaking the news

Is it possible he's adding to the story, rather than has new information?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    The tricky thing with stuff like this is because a lot of "scoopers" have an up and down relationship with the scoops. Sometimes they're true, sometimes they're not. They can be denied by wishful thinking and accepted by wishful thinking so who knows? Even if Richtman is mostly unreliable, he's had his moments and this could be one of them?
    Yes, even Peter said he felt like he might be wearing out his welcome just by asking his guy for a bit of clarification. Fine line to tread, I guess!
  • LucknFateLucknFate 007 In New York
    There's enough noise to deduce that Eon is very proactively working on developing the next film. I think they have been since NTTD wrapped. But I think they're taking a very organic approach - see what their current creative team comes up with, and in the meantime take interest in anything that comes to them.

This is all speculative, but here's what I'm thinking: Eon wants control. They have new ownership under Amazon, and they may be asserting their control by nailing down their next franchise early, and on their terms. That might explain why they'd be willing to sign an actor before anything else: control. This gives them power to direct Amazon and any creatives to make their vision work. If they have a vision, that'd get me excited.
  • StarkStark France
    Seeing this tweet from Gunn I don't understand why the producers of Bond don't do the same thing: first writing the screenplay and then casting. We know for sure that the casting has started but no info on a script being written, it makes no sense.

https://twitter.com/JamesGunn/status/1613939890659659777?s=20&t=N1kZ1XATTQiKUPAQrxAY1Q