Who should/could be a Bond actor? *SPOILERS*

Comments

2024, movie in 2026.

Why would they wait so long?
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    edited October 15 Posts: 1,516
    jobo wrote: »
    2024, movie in 2026.

Why would they wait so long?

Changes at EON
    Changes at MGM with Amazon
    The need to cast a new Bond
    Deciding the future direction of the series.

I hope for 2024, three years should be more than enough. But EON actively contribute to the poor productivity of the UK as a whole 😂
  • BenjaminBenjamin usa
    edited October 15 Posts: 59
    Perplexing. Just don't have a favorite at this point.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded Riding a white swan to Matera
    edited October 15 Posts: 12,367
    Personally, I am happy with different types of looks for the next Bond actor; hair color, ethnicity, height (well at least 5 ft 10 in I hope). Pretty openminded. I realize I have only two major strong wants:

1) A very good actor (I don't want less; Craig raised the bar - and no, I don't mean I want a clone of Craig. I just want a very good actor and hopefully we will get very good scripts for him)

2) Natural charisma on the big screen - how I long to see that. That would be wonderful. It is rare. And again makes me a little sad that Idris is too old for the part now.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 15 Posts: 4,668
    One of the problems is that when it comes to James Bond until you actually see them in the role, it's hard to imagine it. There are our own personal choices that we could somewhat picture or would just like to see based on their work or own prefences, but until we see them as the character for the first time, it's not an easy one to judge.
  • In our continuing series of pictures of good-looking British actors with a bit of buzz behind them but no real reason why they should be James Bond, today: Phil Dunster.

He's on my list of candidates on IMDB. I think this is the first time I've seen him mentioned outside of my list though (which is basically just a "good-looking British actors with a bit of buzz behind them but no real reason why they should be James Bond" list of names).
  • edited October 15 Posts: 87
    And here's another obscure actor that probably doesn't have a chance, but has anyone watched the show Knightfall? The actor that played Prince Louis on that show, Tom Forbes, is interesting and has a good look for Bond I think.

w.jpg

MV5BOTlkMWMwMDMtZDRhMS00ODM4LThkYzQtYjUxYTc3MjE2NTg4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQwMDg0Ng@@._V1_.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 15 Posts: 8,812
    Denbigh wrote: »
    One of the problems is that when it comes to James Bond until you actually see them in the role, it's hard to imagine it. There are our own personal choices that we could somewhat picture or would just like to see based on their work or own prefences, but until we see them as the character for the first time, it's not an easy one to judge.

Yes, that's kind of why I feel I'll take their word for it whoever they cast because they'll have actually seen him do a screen test in character doing their scene from FRWL or CR or whatever and I haven't. Even the ones I'm not sold on here I'll be willing to give a chance if they say they did those scenes well!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    mtm wrote: »
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Yes, that's kind of why I feel I'll take their word for it whoever they cast because they'll have actually seen him do a screen test in character doing their scene from FRWL or CR or whatever and I haven't. Even the ones I'm not sold on here I'll be willing to give a chance if they say they did those scenes well!
    +1
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    echo wrote: »
    Presuming NTTD gets released this year or next, Bond 26 is probably at least three years off.

So which British actors are in their late 20s?
    AceHole wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss Jeremy Irvine, as this board has done so a few pages back

He is growing into a method actor a la Christian Bale, and has exactly the kind of profile that Broccoli and Wilson will (probably) be looking for:
    right age (31 now, prob 34 by the the time B26 gets into prod)
    -British
    -not too well known
    -6ft and obviously has the necessary appeal
    -shown that he can convince in an action-based role (Treadstone series)

He is a better actor than many give him credit for, don't be fooled by the youngish looks.

jeremy-irvine-treadstone-3c8c6f-1@1x.jpeg

I too have brought up Irvine. He'd be an excellent choice.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Loved him in Fifty Shades of Grey. ;)
    Loved him in Fifty Shades of Grey. ;)

Perfect! Then he has experience with creepy misoginy!
  • edited October 16 Posts: 79
    James-Bond-Henry-Cavill-Karl-Urban-Artificial-Intelligence.jpgThere's James Bond right there.
    Hope not! This guys a piece of wood.

He can wear a suit and drink a martini, but hopefully it takes more than that to play Bond.
    It won't be Cavill. Waste of time discussing it. Or Turner.

Some very good new suggestions as of late. Let's keep them coming.

But trust me, it won't be Cavill.
  • BennyBenny Classified Administrator, Moderator
    Why so sure it wont be Henry Cavill @Univex ?
    Having made it too the final candidates for CR, he's obviously made an impression to EON.
    Though I'm not entirely sold he'd be the best choice.
    This list on IMDb has some interesting choices...
    https://www.imdb.com/list/ls086368006/
  • AceHoleAceHole Belgium, via Britain
    Benny wrote: »
    Having made it too the final candidates for CR, he's obviously made an impression to EON.

A few minor reasons...

-far too expensive
    -far too famous
    -far too an iconic role previously played
    -acting ability of a cassowary
    But who knows in what direction EON and Amazon want to go. I agree with all you’ve mentioned @AceHole , and believe we’ll probably go with an Irvine or maybe Turner type.
    I think we need a better structure and plan with the next Bond.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yeah Cavill would certainly not be an exciting choice to me and I don't think he's very good, but he's also fine. He'd do an okay job and we'd be happy enough with him.
    I would hope for someone a bit better, a bit more dynamic, but I could live with with easily enough.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

Yeah @Univex spill the beans already ;)
    Well none of us can guarantee who the next Bond will be @JeremyBondon.
    Till EON, MGM and Amazon announce Bond #7
    It’s going to be a mystery and guesswork me old mate.

Yeah Cavill would certainly not be an exciting choice to me and I don't think he's very good, but he's also fine. He'd do an okay job and we'd be happy enough with him.
    I would hope for someone a bit better, a bit more dynamic, but I could live with with easily enough.

I don't think I'd take it so well, lol. I'd be very disappointed. Less than fine, IMO.

A few minor reasons...

-far too expensive
    -far too famous

Also, he will apparently play a lead role in Matthew Vaughn's next spy movie (Argylle) that is intended to be the first of its own series. If it is a success and that it leads to sequels, Eon won't have any interest in casting an actor that already is the star of a spy franchise.

What is interesting however is that Vaughn now seems more interested in Argylle than in Kingsman, meaning that The King's Man may only be a one-shot. If it is the case, then its lead, Harris Dickinson, would be free. Supposing Eon wants to cast a young Bond, he could be a solid contender as he is now 25.

tumblr_puqoy2TppA1w4hxg8o3_540.gifv

22692.jpg

Yeah @Univex spill the beans already ;)

7390ee0d-a3f5-43e4-81d4-25a744ab3773_text.gif
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 16 Posts: 8,812

I don't think I'd take it so well, lol. I'd be very disappointed. Less than fine, IMO.

Yeah I wouldn't be enthused at all, but he's okay in Fallout so I guess I'd take some solace in that. I'm certainly hoping for someone a bit more interesting; fingers crossed Ms Broccoli has her eye on all of the young upcoming guys.

A few minor reasons...

-far too expensive
    -far too famous

Also, he will apparently play a lead role in Matthew Vaughn's next spy movie (Argylle) that is intended to be the first of its own series. If it is a success and that it leads to sequels, Eon won't have any interest in casting an actor that already is the star of a spy franchise.

What is interesting however is that Vaughn now seems more interested in Argylle than in Kingsman, meaning that The King's Man may only be a one-shot. If it is the case, then its lead, Harris Dickinson, would be free. Supposing Eon wants to cast a young Bond, he could be a solid contender as he is now 25.

Yes I'm looking forward to seeing that, I can imagine if he's good in that he will make a few lists; and I don't think his doing that film would put Eon off him - very similar to Bond but still different enough I think. He could well be a top contender.
    Actually, when I said the other day that Richard Madden is the only name that has been in the press who I like for Bond, that isn't true; I was conflating that with the fact that I also think Madden is the only one of those names who has a legitimate CHANCE.

I forgot about Henry Golding, who I think would be terrific.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited October 17 Posts: 312
    I still think the next Bond will be someone NOBODY is thinking of.
    I'm not so sure about that. When Eon wanted to move from Connery, they needed the already established and popular Moore to succeed and I think the situation with Craig is pretty similar to Connery's one. An actor already known for, at least, TV works might be in the interest of Eon to better establish their new lead.

The difference there is that there was a large chunk of the audience already receptive to the idea of Moore taking over, he had been anointed by the public as eminently suitable, from playing the original "International Man Of Mystery", "The Saint"

And when Moore retired there was Brosnan in a similar position of having been acclaimed by the public as possessing Bond-like qualities

I'm not aware of anyone around today who is in a similar position?
    Henry Cavill has no track record to speak of as a Bond-like personage
    Nor Tom Hardy
    I think the odds on them taking over are about on a par with what Clive Owen's were back in the day

IMO get ready for another candidate from the ranks of the unknowns, who gave us Connery, Lazenby, Dalton and Craig

How about a ginger beardy Bond?

redhead-ginger-27.jpg
    One I’m not entirely sure of, but could have potential. I know he’s been mentioned before.
    Max Irons
    5olbwwkct8ds.jpeg
    b38lxch3ru05.jpeg

I think Cavill's candidacy is a drawback from the Brosnan era: it would have made sense for an actor like him to succeed Brosnan, Dalton, Craig. Now it would feel by-the-number and rather meh. Especially since Cavill has grown into a rather limited actor since he was considered for CR.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    So do you think it's harder to find an actor now than it was after Brosnan? It feels like back then there were probably more obvious choices.

Out of interest did anyone correctly guess Craig? I can't see anyone doubling down on that choice back then so I'm curious if that might mean were in for an equally surprising casting for #7.