Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I watched half of Calibre on Netflix last night and I can definitely see Jack Lowden being considered for bond.

Absolutely, he’s high on m list of candidates.

I watched half of Calibre on Netflix last night and I can definitely see Jack Lowden being considered for bond.

Yes, he wouldn't be a bad choice. Although I think there's something of a poor man's Daniel Craig about him. Not being derogative, as I do like Lowden. Another Scott as well to add to the list.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Sounds good, I'll put that film on the list. I've only seen him in a couple of things but he does have something about him, it's true.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    edited October 2021 Posts: 357
    I have to show support for my fellow countryman

"Ever since it was announced that Daniel Craig would be stepping down from the iconic role of the British spy, James Bond, fans have been speculating about who could be the next Bond. Several names including Henry Cavil, Idris Elba, Tom Hardy are rumoured to be in the race to become the next Bond, however, a very surprising name has cropped up. Actor/director Taika Waititi has now started a campaign to join the race for becoming the next bond.

Replying to a story about the next James Bond not being cast until 2022, Waititi took to Twitter to jokingly add himself to the race to become the next James Bond. The writer/director/actor posted a couple of funny photos of himself for consideration paired with a caption calling out to the franchise's producer Barbara Broccoli, saying that he has been waiting for the call."

And he could direct as well, imagine how much money they would save!

4767.jpg?width=1200&height=900&quality=85&auto=format&fit=crop&s=9b023949cb1bdfae83ec8c022c0ad463

T7SJFLOXEZ24IT5YACX7EVD7SQ.jpg

• mattjoesmattjoes Kicking: Impossible
    Seve wrote: »
    T7SJFLOXEZ24IT5YACX7EVD7SQ.jpg
    "Die, Blofeld, die."
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited October 2021 Posts: 12,459
    Still I have not found anybody I would consider, just basing on looks.
    Very nice looking man above, but not for me as Bond.
    So would I have chosen Daniel Craig based on looks alone? Probably not.
    After Layer Cake, hell yeah.
    I guess I will keep coming here looking for some photo that makes me think "OK, maybe" and the check out a clip of him.

I am at work, so not clicking on Sam's clip yet, but thanks, @Denbigh .

And YES Hugh Jackman would have made a very, very fine Bond. I do think so.
    Of all the names I've seen proposed in the last few years, Richard Madden is the only one that really excites me on any level. I still think the next Bond will be someone NOBODY is thinking of - and Madden has gotten a LOT of press - but if it were to be someone who's already being talked about, he seems both the right type and someone whose career is in the right spot.
  • I still think the next Bond will be someone NOBODY is thinking of.
    I'm not so sure about that. When Eon wanted to move from Connery, they needed the already established and popular Moore to succeed and I think the situation with Craig is pretty similar to Connery's one. An actor already known for, at least, TV works might be in the interest of Eon to better establish their new lead.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, I still think it will need to be someone who at least has a fair bit of screen experience, ideally not totally green to movies either. I don't think they're going to get someone out of drama school that no-one's ever seen before.
    Of all the names I've seen proposed in the last few years, Richard Madden is the only one that really excites me on any level.

Bodyguard really showed that he can carry a show or a film. He's a very talented actor. I'd be very happy to see him get the part.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    I didn't think much of Bodyguard past the first 20 minutes, and I'm still not sold on him as a screen presence. He's got Marvel's The Eternals coming up, though, so that might change my mind.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited October 2021 Posts: 1,318
    Madden looks like an office clerk, not Bond

266px-Richard_Madden_by_Gage_Skidmore_2.jpg
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    edited October 2021 Posts: 14,930
    I didn't think much of Bodyguard past the first 20 minutes, and I'm still not sold on him as a screen presence. He's got Marvel's The Eternals coming up, though, so that might change my mind.

I loved Bodyguard but I'm with you on the presence, I didn't really feel it.
    You're right about Eternals though, let's see if it's a star-making performance.

Looks-wise he's fine, looks close enough to Bond for me.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,677
    He looks fine. Frankly, @JeremyBondon, an office clerk? Also, I bet there's an office clerk somewhere that is a spitting image of Ian Fleming's James Bond. Not that this one does ;)

1460661-1742660-zoomed.png

Univex wrote: »
    He looks fine. Frankly, @JeremyBondon, an office clerk? Also, I bet there's an office clerk somewhere that is a spitting image of Ian Fleming's James Bond. Not that this one does ;)

1460661-1742660-zoomed.png

Frankly I just don't like his face nor his presence. There is nothing about him that tells me 'he could be Bond'. He looks 'regular', hence office clerk. To each his own of course.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    To each his own indeed.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 4,400
    Richard Madden has the charisma and the acting chops to be Bond. He actually looks a bit like Pierce Brosnan, but with a touch of Sean Connery with that accent. So he has that classical look to him - such a gorgeous jawline and hair He's also brilliant at the dramatic scenes in Bodyguard. So if they wanted to keep that sensitive streak introduced by DC, then Madden feels like a natural choice.

There are two issues that may present themselves:
    1. He looked really short in Bodyguard
    2. He's basically playing Superman in Marvel's Eternals - aka, the biggest franchise in the world. The latter may prohibit him becoming Bond. It may also enhance his odds, as Madden is about to become a global superstar and a new younger demographic are about to coo over him. This audience is the one that Eon are now chasing. Madden would bring in a new crowd, but not alienate the existing fanbase. Though, you could argue he's a little 'safe' in this respect. Especially, after Craig who was such an edgy pick.

Nonetheless, Madden is my second choice for the role (after Rege-Jean Page). I think he'd nail the part. I hope Eternals is a hit for him - personally, I won't be seeing the film in cinemas. Mainly as I'm burnt out on Marvel films and they arrive on Disney+ a few weeks later. I wish I had waited for Shang-Chi and didn't waste my money.

d6892065440738d8af71115f116fb0ee8005612a.gifv
    richard-madden-attends-the-1917-world-premiere-and-royal-performance-picture-id1192095908?s=612x612
    richard-madden-attends-the-1917-world-premiere-and-royal-performance-picture-id1191974375?s=612x612
    FBDEkzDVcAUqozv?format=jpg&name=large
    a2f195566b9ad9c125e87415f8f8ab8e.jpg
    I...totally...agree, @Pierce2Daniel :)
    Richard Madden has the charisma and the acting chops to be Bond. He actually looks a bit like Pierce Brosnan, but with a touch of Sean Connery with that accent. So he has that classical look to him - such a gorgeous jawline and hair He's also brilliant at the dramatic scenes in Bodyguard. So if they wanted to keep that sensitive streak introduced by DC, then Madden feels like a natural choice.

There are two issues that may present themselves:
    1. He looked really short in Bodyguard
    2. He's basically playing Superman in Marvel's Eternals - aka, the biggest franchise in the world. The latter may prohibit him becoming Bond. It may also enhance his odds, as Madden is about to become a global superstar and a new younger demographic are about to coo over him. This audience is the one that Eon are now chasing. Madden would bring in a new crowd, but not alienate the existing fanbase. Though, you could argue he's a little 'safe' in this respect. Especially, after Craig who was such an edgy pick.

Nonetheless, Madden is my second choice for the role (after Rege-Jean Page). I think he'd nail the part. I hope Eternals is a hit for him - personally, I won't be seeing the film in cinemas. Mainly as I'm burnt out on Marvel films and they arrive on Disney+ a few weeks later. I wish I had waited for Shang-Chi and didn't waste my money.

d6892065440738d8af71115f116fb0ee8005612a.gifv
    richard-madden-attends-the-1917-world-premiere-and-royal-performance-picture-id1192095908?s=612x612
    richard-madden-attends-the-1917-world-premiere-and-royal-performance-picture-id1191974375?s=612x612
    FBDEkzDVcAUqozv?format=jpg&name=large
    a2f195566b9ad9c125e87415f8f8ab8e.jpg

richard-madden-wants-to-play-villain-on-screen-2019-05-05.jpg
    Oh cmon, everybody has a bad photo somewhere ;) Pierce being an exception, probably :) But if you google Craig’s bad photos you’ll get a proper scare. One cannot judge someone by a photograph.
    Univex wrote: »
    Oh cmon, everybody has a bad photo somewhere ;) Pierce being an exception, probably :) But if you google Craig’s bad photos you’ll get a proper scare. One cannot judge someone by a photograph.

There's tons, didn't even browse. Anyway, my opinion of Craig hasn't changed, he still looks like a Russian bouncer/ KGB agent to me. I would like for Babs to get it right this time. Very, very dearly. I mean we have to look at his mug the next 10 years or so.
  • EinoRistoSiniahoEinoRistoSiniaho Oulu, Finland
    Bond has to played someone who could portray habitus of a military man, an officer. Connery, Lazenby and Moore all had that, since all of them had been in the military. To my knowledge Craig doesn't have that backgroud but his raw talent as an actor makes up for it. One has to remember we're talking of Commander Bond here, not a coat hanger or a disgruntled thespian.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I only realised recently how ridiculously high a rank Commander is: there's no way he'd be just a sort of grunt! :D
    The captain of the Naval destroyer we see in NTTD holds the rank of Commander :)
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 12,837
    Yeah it is ridiculously high when you think about it. I’d been questioning whether Craig’s Bond was even a commander at all until NTTD, so that line surprised me.

It’s an aspect of the character that I think will become harder and harder to keep as we go on. They’ll probably want someone significantly younger next, right? Say early 30s. And given how the military has changed since Fleming’s day, I think it’s safe to assume that Bond has had some sort of special forces background too, that got MI6’s attention. So, unless we get another origin story, we’ll be expected to believe that Bond has joined the Navy, worked his way up to Commander, put himself forward for SBS selection and served for some time there, worked for at least a year or two at MI6 before earning 00 status, and then probably had at least a year as a 00 before his first film, all before his early 30s? No chance.

I think we’ve probably seen the last of Commander Bond for now, unless we ever get a period piece reboot. Royal Marines followed by SBS seems like a more realistic backstory for the character in the modern world.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 6,677
    My Commander during my two year tenure at the navy was 40ish, close to 50. And she was though, a triathlon champion, no less.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yeah it is ridiculously high when you think about it. I’d been questioning whether Craig’s Bond was even a commander at all until NTTD, so that line surprised me.

It’s an aspect of the character that I think will become harder and harder to keep as we go on. They’ll probably want someone significantly younger next, right? Say early 30s. And given how the military has changed since Fleming’s day, I think it’s safe to assume that Bond has had some sort of special forces background too, that got MI6’s attention. So, unless we get another origin story, we’ll be expected to believe that Bond has joined the Navy, worked his way up to Commander, put himself forward for SBS selection and served for some time there, worked for at least a year or two at MI6 before earning 00 status, and then probably had at least a year as a 00 before his first film, all before his early 30s? No chance.

Yes, and I also doubt that Commanders in the SBS are on-the-ground troop types as Bond is: they'd surely be the officers leading them?
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    mtm wrote: »

Yes, and I also doubt that Commanders in the SBS are on-the-ground troop types as Bond is: they'd surely be the officers leading them?

I think the commanding officer of the SBS is a Commander or the equivalent at the Royal Marines. So that is clearly too high. Bond would have had to get promotions after leaving the SBS. On the other hand, the YOLT obituary kind of states that he never actually served in the Royal Navy, but was given those ranks basically as part of his clandestine persona. So that would maybe be the avenue to go down. After all, having a Bond who is a bit more MI6 than SBS after the last one, might not be the worst idea.
    At the end of the day it's one of those things we as fans want to know and then they do some kind of constructed explanation in an origin story and it's kind of lame. Like, I was imagining a story where he needs to be given the rank for a mission or something, but then that means he didn't earn it and him continuing to use it would be stolen valor, so that's a no go.
    The reactions here if the new guy is introduced as "Lieutenant-Commander Bond" or God forbid "Captain Bond, Royal Marines" would be fantastic, though.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    mtm wrote: »

I think the commanding officer of the SBS is a Commander or the equivalent at the Royal Marines. So that is clearly too high. Bond would have had to get promotions after leaving the SBS. On the other hand, the YOLT obituary kind of states that he never actually served in the Royal Navy, but was given those ranks basically as part of his clandestine persona. So that would maybe be the avenue to go down.

What, the novel version of the obit? I didn't really get that impression..?
    I don't mind it though, it's an interesting idea.
  • 00Heaven00Heaven Home
    "...he entered a branch of what was subsequently to become the Ministry of Defence. To serve the confidential nature of his duties, he was accorded the rank of lieutenant in the special branch of the RNVR, and it is a measure of the satisfaction of his services gave to his superiors that he ended the war with the rank of Commander."
  • ImpertinentGoonImpertinentGoon Everybody needs a hobby.
    00Heaven wrote: »
    "...he entered a branch of what was subsequently to become the Ministry of Defence. To serve the confidential nature of his duties, he was accorded the rank of lieutenant in the special branch of the RNVR, and it is a measure of the satisfaction of his services gave to his superiors that he ended the war with the rank of Commander."

Right.
    My insinuation that the rank was only cover is too much, I would say. It seems like it was more a case of having to fit him into the ranking structure during the war and he actually was a lieutenant and so on, only in Naval Intelligence not in the regular sea-going part of the Royal Navy Volunteer Reserve.
    But I know not nearly enough about the military or Intelligence Services to do more than speculate. Plus, he has to be Commander Bond. There is just no way around it and I would rather take it as anachronistic then either get a weak explanation or worst of all, have him demoted so that some biography somewhere works better.