Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited October 2021 Posts: 6,677
    I chose Aidan Turner because I've seen Poldark, and the guy has presence, command, and he looks like a blend of Connery, Dalton and Brosnan. He can pull a punch, has the voice and the eyebrows to match it ;)

But..it won't be him. Trust me.

On another note, I'm now watching TND and frankly, I'm having a blast! And I refuse to apologise for feeling good watching a stylish fun Bond adventure with an actor who looks good and is stylish doing whatever. I grew up with it, it informed me on the man I wanted to be and am.

Shall I apologise for wanting an actor who looks like Pierce Brosnan or Dalton? Must I apologise for not wanting to change that much of the depiction found in the novels?

Right now, a guy with Craig's intensity and acting chops + Pierce's good looks and way to move around stylishly and not brutishly, is what I want and probably won't get. Plus, I'd love it if they kept the overall production values of Craig's era, with some new blood brought in the crew department. But that's for another thread.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Benny wrote: »
    Granted Turner does look good in a tux, lighting a smoke.
    But that's the Bond of the 60's, a smoking Bond isn't a thing anymore. Wrong or right.
    But can Turner carry a franchise film of unique magnitude?
    Would the general pubic accept him?
    Yes he has potential, but is it enough to make him Bond?

Beside, any actor can wear a tuxedo and light a smoke. Surely there's more to Bond than that.

Well, there's lighting a smoke and lighting a smoke. Some do it better than others, 360 degrees.

9dL.gif
    e85d98617856b961133f914f309a299415ebe28d.gifv
    But that's the Bond of the 60's, a smoking Bond isn't a thing anymore. Wrong or right.

Beside, any actor can wear a tuxedo and light a smoke. Surely there's more to Bond than that.

Well, there's lighting a smoke and lighting a smoke. Some do it better than others, 360 degrees.

9dL.gif

Too bad it won't be him :( A true shame, I'd say.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Univex wrote: »
    e85d98617856b961133f914f309a299415ebe28d.gifv

9dL.gif

Too bad it won't be him :( A true shame, I'd say.

There is absolutely no proof that it won't be him, dear Univex. But you sound a little cynical, so I'll let it slide ;)
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom

Yes indeed, that's why I joked about that GIF constantly popping up! :) It's not really proof of an actor's ability.
    TJCath wrote: »
    What about Oliver Jackson Cohen...
    Or Tom Cullen
    Both not very well known, British, and looking the part..

Interesting; I need to check out Invisible Man, I could imagine Cohen being a contender.
  • edited October 2021 Posts: 14,816

9dL.gif

Nobody does it better. Literally.

@mtm that GIF with Turner lighting a smoke, wearing a tux is like today's BMW advert with Clive Owen. It doesn't really demonstrate anything.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    Yes, and I tend to think the greatest bullet we ever dodged was Owen! :)
    mtm wrote: »
    Yes, and I tend to think the greatest bullet we ever dodged was Owen! :)

Me too! I never understood the appeal.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    edited October 2021 Posts: 467
    Owen looked good in a tux in Croupier. But he has a limited range of emotions. He's great when the part is in line with them, where he carries some anxiety or some deep sadness, but he can be bland otherwise.
    Owen looked good in a tux in Croupier. But he has a limited range of emotions. He's great when the part is in line with them, where he carries some anxiety or some deep sadness, but he can be bland otherwise.

That's my issue with him: he looks so darn bland! And there's something in his eyes and general demeanour that comes off as haggard.
    Never liked Owen.
  • Univex wrote: »
    Never liked Owen.
    Mr. Mushmouth McMumbles... Yep, I agree.

(Clive Owen's in this? Better flip on the subtitles...)

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited October 2021 Posts: 5,869
    I'm personally still on the Callum Turner or Sam Claflin train. Callum is actually starring in Masters of the Air, with Cary Fukunaga directing the first three episodes, and they've been hanging out quite a bit recently.

47576849-0-image-a-48_1630953662766.jpg
    EhFuL0LX0AAyFDF.jpg
    CraterGuns wrote: »
    Never liked Owen.

He often looks and sounds like a boxer who's had one too many fights and one too many drinks. He's not a bad actor, I just don't see him as Bond.
    Never liked Owen.

He often looks and sounds like a boxer who's had one too many fights and one too many drinks. He's not a bad actor, I just don't see him as Bond.

I'm about 98% confident that Croupier served as the entirety of why he was a contender. I think he's a great actor and that is a magnificent film with arguably his best work as an actor, but he only exudes very specific, partial elements of Bond's swagger in a few scenes. I don't really understand how it was enough to render him a viable candidate for the role.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I'm personally still on the Callum Turner or Sam Claflin train. Callum is actually starring in Masters of the Air, with Cary Fukunaga directing the first three episodes, and they've been hanging out quite a bit recently.

47576849-0-image-a-48_1630953662766.jpg
    EhFuL0LX0AAyFDF.jpg

I agree with Claflin.
  • sandbagger1sandbagger1 Sussex
    Never liked Owen.

I'm about 98% confident that Croupier served as the entirety of why he was a contender. I think he's a great actor and that is a magnificent film with arguably his best work as an actor, but he only exudes very specific, partial elements of Bond's swagger in a few scenes. I don't really understand how it was enough to render him a viable candidate for the role.

Did you never watch Chancer?
    What about Théo James? He's been in a lot of period dramas, and has now voiced the animated Witcher series. Has a strong deep voice and the eyebrows, oh and can act. He's also a bit old school, speaks well, hates social media, like DC, has done theatre, he's 36 and if chosen next year he'd be the same age as Dan was. And he reminds me a bit of Connery, with the voice and eyebrows. And I think he'd bring in lots of different demographics.

original.jpg

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I wouldn t be surprised if it s James.

Me neither, the guy as a massive fan base, is well recognised, has done tv, stage and film, has an overall good attitude, a rather healthy masculinity and good manners, is well spoken, and he has something of a Connery vibe, with the deep voice and dynamic eyebrows. And he's the right age.

Me neither, the guy as a massive fan base, is well recognised, has done tv, stage and film, has an overall good attitude, a rather healthy masculinity and good manners, is well spoken, and he has something of a Connery vibe, with the deep voice and dynamic eyebrows. And he's the right age.

If based solely upon the power of the brow!

talos7 wrote: »

If based solely upon the power of the brow!

"The power of the brow"- Bond 26 title :D
    :))
  • SimonSimon Keeping The British End Up...
    I'm about 98% confident that Croupier served as the entirety of why he was a contender.

Croupier (and BMW) provided some nice stills as to the Bond look, but I think the performances in Closer and Children of Men give a taste of what could have been a different take on Bond. I'm glad we got DC, but I think Owen would have worked in a different way as well. I wouldn't change Bardem in Skyfall, but I think Owen would have been a cracking choice for that role as well.

I am at a loss as to who I would want next though. DC was a bit of a left field choice in the grand scheme of things, so hopefully there is someone in the wings similarly ready to trample my expectations. Very few of the suggestions so far give me any real excitement at seeing them take up the Walther.
    I love the BMW spots; they brought in some great directors.
    talos7 wrote: »
    I love the BMW spots; they brought in some great directors.

And they really did their job well, I still like that z4 model more than the recent ones, despite prefering the z3.
  • mtmmtm United Kingdom
    I've still got one.
    mtm wrote: »
    I've still got one.

I know, the coupe, right? Brilliant car.
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    Here’s a question which I am sure will open a pandora’s box of answers, but if the actor next cast as Bond is caucasian, will they be barraged by the press over “why you and not a black british, asian british etc actor”. For me it seems EON are in a bit of a corner regardless of who they chose due to the discussion around the issue that has been generated, and will continue to be.

My personal stance is that it is irrelevant, and its down to them to prove in their movie they are a worthy Bond, as all the previous Bonds have had to do.
    Mallory wrote: »
    Here’s a question which I am sure will open a pandora’s box of answers, but if the actor next cast as Bond is caucasian, will they be barraged by the press over “why you and not a black british, asian british etc actor”. For me it seems EON are in a bit of a corner regardless of who they chose due to the discussion around the issue that has been generated, and will continue to be.

My personal stance is that it is irrelevant, and its down to them to prove in their movie they are a worthy Bond, as all the previous Bonds have had to do.

I'm thinking they'll be too much into dismantling and analysing the new fella on his own, to ramble about him being caucasian as usual. That'll give two or three headlines and quickly go away. I, for one, will be dismissive of it. The actor should be close to the depiction of the original character as it's present in the books. IMO, James Bond is caucasian, son of a Scottish man and a Swiss woman. Hair colour or eye colour is a small matter, but race is no small thing, IMO. If we were talking about a non-literary character, my opinion would be on the opposite field, but as a writer myself I'm rather keen to respect original literary material. IMO, of course.

All races are equal and should be given equal rights, this is, for me, an absolute. But if a character is written as being of a certain race and has some very well written characteristics, one should strive to use that. I, for one, will always prefer David Suchet as Poirot, and not Peter Ustinov or Kenneth Branagh, as wonderful actors as they are, for example. And this example had nothing to do with race. But I wouldn't prefer an asian Harry Potter to Daniel Radcliffe's, simply because JKR wrote him as caucasian. Just because of that. If she had written him differently, or in a more open to interpretation fashion, I'd be all for it, of course.