Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Shardlake wrote: »

Sorry the Turner fan club has a hard time with this.

So petty, so small and so unnecessary .
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    I'm currently watching the recent The Pale Horse adaptation, starring Rufus Sewell. That made me wonder if he was ever considered for the role of Bond at some point.

TELEMMGLPICT000223240846_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

Maybe mentioned much earlier, @Torgeirtrap, Rufus Sewell did audio book readings of the Fleming Bond titles. So there's a connection to start.
    d56c40feb396e80577ec98477c77418223995770.png

Funny, seems like he did all of them excepting The Spy Who Loved Me. Where Samantha Bond stepped in.
    charity-gala-photocall-in-aid-of-the-shooting-star-hospice-richmond-theatre-britain-shutterstock-editorial-452723o.jpg 4602d05beb42b03ae3c4533965013e1f5a19479e.png

• peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »

@talos7 : you and I have chatted and I know you're more reasonable than this. In fact, I know you are:

@Shardlake makes a completely valid point how Clive was running away with any fan poll 15 years ago.

And he's also right when he suggests that the Turner fan club has a hard time with this comparison-- one of the Turner guys wanted to shut this thread down (c'mon! your free-minded way of thinking should not see this as even a choice! You know this is tribalism when one wants to shut down the debate!).

To tell the truth, at this point, I could care less who the next Bond is-- we have a new film coming out one day with DC as Bond... A poll on the Mi6 forum will not sway where Barbara wants to go with this franchise. Clive Owen in one decade. Turner the other. Barbara will decide where this goes.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    peter wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

@talos7 : you and I have chatted and I know you're more reasonable than this. In fact, I know you are:

I’m actually stunned at this reply.
    The viewpoint is not unreasonable but the snide , condescending wording is .

• peterpeter Toronto
    @talos7 -- what?? Please DM me to chat further-- but, seriously: @Shardlake was not off-side on his comments.

I was not being snide, man.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    and @talos7 -- @Shardlake was not asking this thread to be shut down! One of the Turner Brigade suggested this! C'mon, you and me can see that that request was more offensive then any suggestion on this thread!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Things have gotten rather hostile in here for no reason. Many facets about James Bond give us differing opinions. He's such a diverse character that no two Bond fans are alike.
    Our opinions differ no more so than the casting of who does, should or could play James Bond.
    Considering this thread is hypothetical and will have no bearing on the overall outcome on who is cast, it's rather absurd that things should become so tense. We as a fan base have no say on the casting, and though Aidan Turner is ahead on a pole on MI6 Community, this does not make him the favourite amongst Bond fans as a whole.
    @talos7 so anyone who does not agree that Turner should be the next Bond is snide, petty and small?
    People are going to have a difference of opinion. Especially when it comes to casting Bond # 7. Surely in the long run none of it will matter. We might agree or disagree who it is, and we will. But it's not going to change who we are as people. It's not worth falling out over, I know that.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2020 Posts: 2,541
    Before entering this site 2 years ago i never heard Turner for bond so he is not an obvious choice, Henry Cavill is an obvious choice in general fans.

One thing that i can't understand that why are we thinking that Turner would be brosnan 2.0? why can't we see it as Sean 2.0 or Roger 2.0 ? As most of us know that Sean- Roger- Pierce played more Cinematic Bond and George- Timothy- Daniel played more gritty, grounded, realistic bond. Sean and Daniel reached the peak from the two categories. It's funny when someone compare Turner with brosnan as they have already seen the film. We don't even know which way Babs want to take the franchise forward but if bond's history ever taught us anything it's going to be Sean-Roger-Brosnan 2.0 imo.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,087
    Exactly, well said @Resurrection.

Connery - Cinematic
    Lazenby - Realistic
    Moore - Cinematic
    Dalton - Realistic
    Brosnan - Cinematic
    Craig - Realistic

The pendullum swings back and forth with each actor, and always has done since the beginning. Usually this is because the audience gets tired of one way, and in order to survive the producers are forced to approach from a different angle, so to speak. For instance, in 2006 witht the fallout of 911 still fresh in peoples minds there was no way they could plow ahead with the kind of films they had been making, it needed reinvention and stripped back to basics, ehich Craig was right for. But now, 15 years later, that Craig will be hanging up the walther, the series is in need of another reinvention. People act like its all down to Babs and shes in complete control, but really she is at the behest of the publics apetite at the time. In 2006 culturally we were in the mood for a more solemn and emotional, and more visceral action. That won't necessarily be what they are looking for next time, indeed I would suggest through my own observation that many fans are ready for a return to classic Bond, at least for a movie or two. Craig has come close to delivering that, but it has never really been authentic, and won't be until his Bond hallmarks are no longer present. So as much as Babs COULD try and follow up Craig with a similar actor and recapture that, to do so would be foolish, and breaking a trend of 60+ years. In my opinion, she is smarter than this. She choose Craig because she liked him, but more importantly, because it was what the audience needed at that time. Audiences in the 2020's will want a larger than life hero, and it is time for the pendullum to swing back in that direction.

With regards to the poll, ofcourse its only a fans site with a small sample size, but I also would say that if we did a poll of who is the best of the Bond actors, and say Craig won with 3 times as many votes as the guy in second place, I have a feeling that data would be used draw conclusions. The point was to identify who is the popular choice, and it would appear that Turner is the resounding answer, whether we all pleased by that or not. So I can see where Talos is coming from. Point out that this poll has no impact who Babs decides is true no matter who the winner. No one knows who Barbara is gunning for, including those who say she won't pick Turner based on some gossip or hearsay. The fact is that the purpose of such a thread and poll is to decide on what we as fans think. And on that score Turner is most definitely the frontrunner. Saying that Babs doesn't like him or won't pick him does come off a little as sour grapes, because not only is it irrelevant to who we the fans would pick, but there is also no evidence or source which indicates this to be true. She has only ever cast one Bond and it came at a time when the unconventional pick made sense. So again, to extrapolate that Babs only likes gruff men as Bond is a bit of a stretch. They have been very commited to this approach for the duration of Craig tenure, and this is percisely the reason that people are beginning to feel as if something it missing, because it is. EON has to address this head on with the next actor, and that will influence who that person is necessarily. Just as the need to address a post-millenial world head on in 2006 was influential in the casting of Craig. The audience will specifically looking for that old magic to be there this time, they cannot simply shrug it off or do things by halves. Its make or break. Its time for the cinematic Bond to make his return with the 7th actor to don the tux.
  • edited April 2020 Posts: 17,280
    Univex wrote: »
    I'm currently watching the recent The Pale Horse adaptation, starring Rufus Sewell. That made me wonder if he was ever considered for the role of Bond at some point.

TELEMMGLPICT000223240846_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

Looks like he wouldn't mind playing a villain though:

Always thought that. Could've been. He doesn't have the right voice for Bond. Would make for a proper villain, though.

You're right about the voice, it would probably not have been the best fit. Same could be said of the voices of several names suggested here too, though.

I think he could make a cool villain; A sophisticated posh Brit type of villain or something like that.

Maybe mentioned much earlier, @Torgeirtrap, Rufus Sewell did audio book readings of the Fleming Bond titles. So there's a connection to start.
    d56c40feb396e80577ec98477c77418223995770.png

Funny, seems like he did all of them excepting The Spy Who Loved Me. Where Samantha Bond stepped in.
    charity-gala-photocall-in-aid-of-the-shooting-star-hospice-richmond-theatre-britain-shutterstock-editorial-452723o.jpg 4602d05beb42b03ae3c4533965013e1f5a19479e.png

Thanks, @RichardTheBruce, I was unaware he did audio book readings of the Fleming titles. Reminds me that I have yet to actually listen to a Fleming audio book. I should try that at some point.
    I think that the idea that Aidan Turner is too obvious and just another clive owen is actually mistaken. I see a lot of videos and articles specualting about the next James Bond and often Aidan Turner isn't even featured, or just mentioned near the bottom. Tom Hardy, Edris Elba, Tom Hiddleston and Henry Cavill are always thrown arpund by the big media sites, and I now think at least 2 of those will be too old for Bond 26. But pointing being, Turner seems to be more popular with fans than he is with the media, and this could be because he really doesn't have a hhigh profile yet outside of the UK. He was a Hobbit in the Jackson trilogy, but that was one face in a crowd, and had heavy facial hair and wig. Plus it was almost 10 years ago. As far as the big American media sites are concerned, he is still very much floating under the radar, and that is a massive positive for his hopes. He doesn't have his face on the front of esquire like some of those other guys. And unlike Clive Owen he isn't the medias number one choice. Turners support comes from the fans primarily, who've independant found him suitable through his perform in things like Poldark and And Them there were none. Which brings me to the second big positive that Turner has going for him, besides not having a bug profile in the states and globally, and that is that he doesn't seem to persue the rolw unlike others. I think this quality is essential, and the saying goes that as soon as you express an interest in playing Bond, your chances of ever getting to do so are instantly snuffed out. Many actors play parts in similar type spy things in order to get people talking about them for the role, like Hiddleston in the "The Night Manager", and get over enthusiatic in interviews like Henry Cavill. Turner thus far has played it very cool, and almost all his roles are in a period setting, often with him having long hair and oldfashioned outfits. But Bond fans still see the potential because he know that he can get a shave, trim the lockes etc. I actually think that some disregard him too readily, because they have only seen him with a beard or Manbun and don't care to look past and see him with the appropriate cut and clothes. And Then There Were None was his best "audition" for that, but at the same time, that was 5 years ago now, so its not completely accurate as to how he would look and act.
  • edited June 2022 Posts: 689
    Turner doesn't even look British, more foreign.

So did Connery. Actually, so did Bond.

Hmm that's not really a good argument.
    They need the epitome of a British agent for the next one.

I think Turner would do a great Mo Salah biopic lol

Hmm that's not really a good argument.
    They need the epitome of a British agent for the next one.

I think Turner would do a great Mo Salah biopic lol

ddvurgzta6x9.jpg

It is possible. :))
    Lol

Of course Turner is a possible Bond candidate, though I feel his fan base feel he has a much bigger chance than he actually does. Based on little other than hope.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I just want a bit of variety in the conversations, just because people like Aidan doesn't mean we can't talk about someone else. There's only so many times I can hear "he's not Aidan". And yes I do think he'd be good, but not enough that I don't wanna talk about anyone else. I understand comparisons to previous Bonds, obviously, but comparing actors to actors we also haven't seen as Bond is pretty frustrating when you're trying to move the conversation along.

I'm not spending the next however many years going over the same debate about Aidan Turner. There are so many actors we could be talking about so this page doesn't become the fan page its kinda becoming.
    Very well said @Denbigh . Totally agree.
    There are many actors who have potential. My personal choice is Tom Hughes.
    Though I feel Hoult, Cavill, Hemsworth, Hiddleston even Turner have what it takes to take on the role of OO7.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    If we went back 2004 -05 and were conducting the same type of pole, Clive Owen would have run away with it and likely Craig wouldn't have even been mentioned or even recognised and we all know how that one turned out.

It is just an opinion some of us just can't see Turner in the role, either because we don't see him as Bond or that Barbara won't cast him it as simple as that.

We did have a fan vote here, back in 2004 or 05 @Shardlake . I think Clive Owen actually did win it. And yes indeedy one particular actor polled precisely no votes.
    edited April 2020 Posts: 8,087
    @Denbigh its an interesting question isn't it? If Aidan Turner is the clear frontrunner then what does the competition look like. And the actual competition, not the hype jobs always being touted by the hollywood press sites. Who are the youthful talented actors who could swoop in and nab it?

Dan Stevens

I always say Bond needs two sides to him, the charming and the deadly. Dan stevens has a certain foxish features, but to me he looks too much like a waiter or clerk to be Bond - he doesn't have the right magnetism or presence. Perhaps he can change that with working out, but he seems just a bit soft for my liking. I don't buy him as the best the service has to offer.

Nicholous Hoult

Much the same as Stevens, I have trouble imagining Hoult as a particularly deadly figure who would hold a 00 license. But what I will say is that Hoult definitely has the look of someone who keeps to the shadows and could be an ally, or Bonds contact. Its the masculine energy that I think holds him back.

Sam hueghen

This is more what I call a potential Bond, and someone Turner should be worried about. Sam hueghan has the looks, he definitely has the masculinity and is physically a fine specimen for certain. I buy this guy could fight his way to the top, and be deployed on the most dangerous of duties. I also believe him as a charmer of women, and has more of a refined look, like there is a touch of the aristocratic air which Bond should have. If Sam Hueghan was annouced as the next Bond I could definitely see myself being won over, but the problem is it appears he is almost 40 years old, so that means he'll be almost 45 by the time of Bond 26. That might be a bit too old by then.

Tom Hiddleston

I've never liked the idea of Hiddleston as Bond, as I happeb to find him insufferable in interviews. In my opinion if he was to be Bond he would play up the aristocratic aspects of the character, and talk with a heavy british politeness. But whereas Roger Moore was able to do that deftly and still be charming and keep the audience on side, I think with Hiddleston it would just be nauseating. Bond should be more than just a toff. I know Hiddleston has his fans, but I never liked him, even on "The Night Manager".

Henry Cavill

This guy has been on the radar for donkies years, indeed he was pipped by Craig for CR. And it seems like recently he is playing around in the secret agent sandpit with the like of Man From UNCLE and MI:6. He's the same age as Turner so still has time on his side, but unfortunately seems too big for Bond by now. The guy has done too much franchise hopping that I don't think he would be considered now anyways. Everyone recognises him from somewhere, whether it be as Superman or his new Netflix series adapted The Witcher. That being said he is certainly virile and very handsome. The female audience would not complain if he was cast.

I personally think the days of considering the likes of Tom Hardy, Idris Elba and Fassbender are over, as they will be all too old for the part. So unless there is a true out of left field chose which emerges, I don't know who can really match Aidan Turner as the coveted 7th actor to play 007. Ofcourse someone can come out of nowhere like Craig did, but nowadays gans are much more eagle-eyed and keep on the look out for potential. I kinda feel like it has to be one of the guys already discussed, and in my view, with the exception of perhaps sam hueghan, none come close to Turner right now, but thats just my take. We have a lot of premium talent that is either too old or overexposed, and a lot of young guys in their late twenties or early thirties who strike me too much as Bond assistant in the field from CR. The don't touch your ear guy. They don't command the screen, I suppose. And right in the middle there is Turner who, for me, appears to have the best of both worlds, and thus has extreme potential, and should at least get a screen test if he hasn't already (there was a report that he was flown to LA to test for Babs and Micheal, inbetween SP and Bond 25, before they knew for sure that Craig would be returning).
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    @Denbigh its an interesting question isn't it? If Aidan Turner is the clear frontrunner then what does the competition look like. And the actual competition, not the hype jobs always being touted by the hollywood press sites. Who are the youthful talented actors who could swoop in and nab it?

Dan Stevens

I always say Bond needs two sides to him, the charming and the deadly. Dan stevens has a certain foxish features, but to me he looks too much like a waiter or clerk to be Bond - he doesn't have the right magnetism or presence. Perhaps he can change that with working out, but he seems just a bit soft for my liking. I don't buy him as the best the service has to offer.

Nicholous Hoult

Much the same as Stevens, I have trouble imagining Hoult as a particularly deadly figure who would hold a 00 license. But what I will say is that Hoult definitely has the look of someone who keeps to the shadows and could be an ally, or Bonds contact. Its the masculine energy that I think holds him back.

Sam hueghen

This is more what I call a potential Bond, and someone Turner should be worried about. Sam hueghan has the looks, he definitely has the masculinity and is physically a fine specimen for certain. I buy this guy could fight his way to the top, and be deployed on the most dangerous of duties. I also believe him as a charmer of women, and has more of a refined look, like there is a touch of the aristocratic air which Bond should have. If Sam Hueghan was annouced as the next Bond I could definitely see myself being won over, but the problem is it appears he is almost 40 years old, so that means he'll be almost 45 by the time of Bond 26. That might be a bit too old by then.

Tom Hiddleston

I've never liked the idea of Hiddleston as Bond, as I happeb to find him insufferable in interviews. In my opinion if he was to be Bond he would play up the aristocratic aspects of the character, and talk with a heavy british politeness. But whereas Roger Moore was able to do that deftly and still be charming and keep the audience on side, I think with Hiddleston it would just be nauseating. Bond should be more than just a toff. I know Hiddleston has his fans, but I never liked him, even on "The Night Manager".

Henry Cavill

This guy has been on the radar for donkies years, indeed he was pipped by Craig for CR. And it seems like recently he is playing around in the secret agent sandpit with the like of Man From UNCLE and MI:6. He's the same age as Turner so still has time on his side, but unfortunately seems too big for Bond by now. The guy has done too much franchise hopping that I don't think he would be considered now anyways. Everyone recognises him from somewhere, whether it be as Superman or his new Netflix series adapted The Witcher. That being said he is certainly virile and very handsome. The female audience would not complain if he was cast.

I personally think the days of considering the likes of Tom Hardy, Idris Elba and Fassbender are over, as they will be all too old for the part. So unless there is a true out of left field chose which emerges, I don't know who can really match Aidan Turner as the coveted 7th actor to play 007. Ofcourse someone can come out of nowhere like Craig did, but nowadays gans are much more eagle-eyed and keep on the look out for potential. I kinda feel like it has to be one of the guys already discussed, and in my view, with the exception of perhaps sam hueghan, none come close to Turner right now, but thats just my take. We have a lot of premium talent that is either too old or overexposed, and a lot of young guys in their late twenties or early thirties who strike me too much as Bond assistant in the field from CR. The don't touch your ear guy. They don't command the screen, I suppose. And right in the middle there is Turner who, for me, appears to have the best of both worlds, and thus has extreme potential, and should at least get a screen test if he hasn't already (there was a report that he was flown to LA to test for Babs and Micheal, inbetween SP and Bond 25, before they knew for sure that Craig would be returning).

Excellent breakdown @Mendes4Lyfe You're on a roll today. Like yourself I feel Turner doesn't have true competition so far.

If Turner did screen test in front of Barbara and Michael I'm quite curious, mildy stated, how it went. If only...

Heughan looks more like a Necros 2.0 to me; the face of a villain.

Dan Stevens

Nicholous Hoult

Sam hueghen

Tom Hiddleston

Henry Cavill

Excellent breakdown @Mendes4Lyfe You're on a roll today. Like yourself I feel Turner doesn't have true competition so far.

If Turner did screen test in front of Barbara and Michael I'm quite curious, mildy stated, how it went. If only...

@JeremyBondon you're right, Hueghan might work better as a villain, perhaps like 006 an evil double agent.

Nothing really came of the audition, as Craig eventually decided to return ofcourse, but it does mean that Turner has his foot in the door, which is a good sign. If they liked him, he will undoubtly be brought back for a proper audition in future. Dalton and Brosnan were both on EONs radar long before they got the role.

Dan Stevens

Nicholous Hoult

Sam hueghen

Tom Hiddleston

Henry Cavill

@JeremyBondon you're right, Hueghan might work better as a villain, perhaps like 006 an evil double agent.

Nothing really came of the audition, as Craig eventually decided to return ofcourse, but it does mean that Turner has his foot in the door, which is a good sign. If they liked him, he will undoubtly be brought back for a proper audition in future. Dalton and Brosnan were both on EONs radar long before they got the role.

Exactly this. Could be a major marker IF Turner nailed the audition. I'd almost give my left testicle to find out...
    Calm down boys before you get dizzy.
    The story of Turner being flown to LA to be screen tested by Barbara and Michael is only hearsay. I don't believe it's ever been confirmed.
    Benny wrote: »
    Calm down boys before you get dizzy.
    The story of Turner being flown to LA to be screen tested by Barbara and Michael is only hearsay. I don't believe it's ever been confirmed.

Calm as can be. I reckon however such things hardly ever get confirmed, as they are 'leaks'. They make for good speculation, all fun and games.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    This thread is turning into a farce with it's hilarious double act.
    This thread is turning into a farce with it's hilarious double act.

*Its, dear Shartlake, *its.
    Cmon guys, chill.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2020 Posts: 5,869
    I think I'd like a fresh face to be Bond next. Someone who can really define themselves as the character :)
  • manovermanover uk
    I have said it before but got a feeling that jack lowden will have a good chance...looking at his age and where he is in his career.
  • manovermanover uk
    He seems to be someone that doesnt really get a mention here...but i think he will be up there.