Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Writer James Robinson is a magnificent author. I will definitely be getting this the moment it makes its debut.
    Well, it already looks good : the writer is someone I've long admired. "The Golden Age" was great, and his Starman was fantastic. For the art... Well, no hook, for one thing, but I guess in today's world, a bionic arm is the next best thing.
    I never thought you read comics, @Birdleson. I'm surprised, actually. :D
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Thank God, I thought he was going to get a spin-off movie.
    Walecs wrote: »
    Thank God, I thought he was going to get a spin-off movie.
    It's too soon for that. Give it another 50 years. ;)
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    Owen Wilson or Matthew McC?? Depends which way you wanna go.

Wilson pops up for me in Eidolon but McC could carry a feature.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Man, Matthew McConaughey would make for a great Leiter in the vein of Fleming's original.
    Man, Matthew McConaughey would make for a great Leiter in the vein of Fleming's original.

Thanks ...I couldn't spell McConaughey so thanks for that too lol.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    I'm glad that they're keeping his disabilities. Hopefully they'll give the character his humor.

The humor is what makes him such a good foil for Bond. The film Bond took Leiter's sense of humor as his own & it pretty much makes FilmLeiter a dull nothing.

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, do you feel the Craig era helped to introduce more of that contrast between Bond and Leiter?

In CR and QoS I find their relationship to be very much what you describe. Bond is on edge, earnest and very dry in his humor, while Leiter is more playful and openly jokes with him throughout without Bond reciprocating the humor back to him. QoS feels especially representative of this.
  • You are quite correct, @0Brady -- the Leiter & Bond of QoS are especially Flemingesque. "I'll take that as a compliment, coming from a Brit." Priceless! I'd be very happy to see this Bond/Leiter duo to reunite at least once more on film.
    @BeatlesSansEarmuffs, yes, one of my top wishes for Bond 25 if Craig returns is to have Felix involved somehow. It'd be great to see a plot line like Felix investigating possible SPECTRE infiltration inside the CIA or to find him helping Bond snuff the rest of the organization out in some capacity in a big way.

We got a nice mention of him in SP, but I'd really like to see him one last time. Clearly he's on EON's mind, so fingers crossed it comes through.
    That spin off looks like a cash grab to me..

Good news - that means 007 comics are selling well

Bad news - Spinoffs :(
    dragonsky wrote: »
    That spin off looks like a cash grab to me..

Good news - that means 007 comics are selling well

Bad news - Spinoffs :(

Yea I would like to see a proper Bond graphic novel less constrained like Vargr to fit six issues.
  • I have some bad news for @dragonsky and @mcdonbb: both the Bond comics and the Bond movies are commercial ventures. If they make money, more will be forthcoming. If they stop making money, no more will be produced. Sorry to be the bearer of unfortunate tidings, but as with so many other things in this world, money is the ultimate arbiter of whether things happen or not.
    I have some bad news for @dragonsky and @mcdonbb: both the Bond comics and the Bond movies are commercial ventures. If they make money, more will be forthcoming. If they stop making money, no more will be produced. Sorry to be the bearer of unfortunate tidings, but as with so many other things in this world, money is the ultimate arbiter of whether things happen or not.

Well I'm glad their making money. I've been tracking that too the best I can. In my opinion the comics are the best most satisfying Bond thing going right now. I enjoyed Vargr way more than either SP or TM.

I will be less enthused about the Leiter spin off but oh well I'll probably still buy it.
    Sorry to those who aren't pleased with the spin-offs, but as long as they present a good storytelling, I'll read as much as they come.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Sorry to those who aren't pleased with the spin-offs, but as long as they present a good storytelling, I'll read as much as they come.

Agreed 100%
    So far it looks like Dynamite knows exactly what they are doing, with hiring top writers and giving the people what they want (First rule of mass Media!)
    I will definitly check this Mini series out as well and I am sure they have a worthwile Story to tell about Felix.

Didn't say I wasn't pleased per se just not as enthused. Good talent working on the project.

We hardly if ever get anything like this from Bond so yes it is very welcome.
    00Agent wrote: »

Agreed 100%
    So far it looks like Dynamite knows exactly what they are doing, with hiring top writers and giving the people what they want (First rule of mass Media!)
    I will definitly check this Mini series out as well and I am sure they have a worthwile Story to tell about Felix.
    Definitely!

I'll even go as far to read a Bill Tanner comic book if the story is damn good. I don't care if some hate the character or not. I'll even read a Pussy Galore comic book if it bears helluva of a storytelling. And mind you, it's possible to have Bond Girl spin-offs, because Dynamite loves making sexy female protagonist spin-offs from main franchises. Red Sonja being one, Dejah Thoris (from the famed John Carter series) being another. And these have met large amount of success I wouldn't put it past the publisher to make such a move with the Bond license.

Again, if the story is good and in high quality measurements, I'll buy them and keep them.
    I have some bad news for @dragonsky and @mcdonbb: both the Bond comics and the Bond movies are commercial ventures. If they make money, more will be forthcoming. If they stop making money, no more will be produced. Sorry to be the bearer of unfortunate tidings, but as with so many other things in this world, money is the ultimate arbiter of whether things happen or not.
    Yeah, I get it, but eventually it will be too much. Imagine if they start making movie spinoffs..eventually there will be too much
    Yeah, I agree with this. My concert is that the quality won't be good but..who knows :D
    mcdonbb wrote: »

Well I'm glad their making money. I've been tracking that too the best I can. In my opinion the comics are the best most satisfying Bond thing going right now. I enjoyed Vargr way more than either SP or TM.

I will be less enthused about the Leiter spin off but oh well I'll probably still buy it.
    SP and TM? What's that?

Spectre and Trigger Mortis. The latter wasn't bad ...quite good I've heard. I just couldn't get swayed into bothering.

I'll read it at some point. Never finished Solo ...kept waiting for it to get started.
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree with this. My concert is that the quality won't be good but..who knows :D
    Don't be concerned about it. It will be good. Dynamite knows how to handle things right and how to treat a license pleasantly, unlike some other companies (cough, Activision, cough).
    Yes @ClarkDevlin Dynamite has done very well with the license.. =D>
  • 00Agent wrote: »

Agreed 100%
    Definitely!

I'll even go as far to read a Bill Tanner comic book if the story is damn good. I don't care if some hate the character or not. I'll even read a Pussy Galore comic book if it bears helluva of a storytelling. And mind you, it's possible to have Bond Girl spin-offs, because Dynamite loves making sexy female protagonist spin-offs from main franchises. Red Sonja being one, Dejah Thoris (from the famed John Carter series) being another. And these have met large amount of success I wouldn't put it past the publisher to make such a move with the Bond license.

Again, if the story is good and in high quality measurements, I'll buy them and keep them.

Red Sonja was already a lead character in her own series since the '70s with Marvel. But Dejah Thoris is a good case in point. And I personally would be first in line for a Pussy Galore comic book!

Agreed 100%
    Definitely!

Red Sonja was already a lead character in her own series since the '70s with Marvel. But Dejah Thoris is a good case in point. And I personally would be first in line for a Pussy Galore comic book!
    Yes indeed. But, nevertheless, she is spun-off Conan The Barbarian. Dynamite just cooked up on her further. And they did a good job. In all the other cases, I'd definitely agree... Plus, our lovely Pussy Galore can show us some feisty ventures of hers, if you know what I mean. ;) Previously, I didn't care for the character a lot, but recently, I've come to develop a huge fancy for her.
    I've just read JAMES BOND #10...

Well, I can't say I was really satisfied with the issue. Underwhelmed is more like it. @Kronsteen, my friend, you do whatever you have to do to avoid this one issue, because it actually does surpass mass violence and things we've seen inside with Bond and Tanner interrogating the anarchist... Well, the torture was a bit too much... He'd never do that. Sorry, Ellis, but even though I like his writings, this issue was rushed and ballsed up.

That said, the artwork wasn't that inspired, either. Some of the character outlines are utterly recycled from previous efforts.

Hoping to see #11 be in more control of its own head.
  • KronsteenKronsteen Stockholm
    Haha, thanks @ClarkDevlin! I just started my subscription of the James Bond comic, I don't want to wait until march, and @BeatlesSansEarmuffs had some good arguments for buying single issues, so now I'm on the wagon as well. So I will have to read that issue as well, sounds intimidating and fascinating!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 5,185

You do whatever you have to do to avoid this one issue, because it actually does surpass mass violence and things we've seen inside with Bond and Tanner interrogating the anarchist... Well, the torture was a bit too much... He'd never do that. Sorry, Ellis, but even though I like his writings, this issue was rushed and ballsed up.

i have to say the Torture scene was a bit off putting for me as well, i was suprised to say the least....

I'll put the rest in a spoiler tag:
    at the same time if you look at it objectively, this was an extreme situation and they needed results quickly. Also the guy said himself he is trained against Torture....
    so i can see the necessity.

In a post guantanamo bay and 24 world, i can see an agent doing stuff like this if they are under pressure and in the end they didn't even kill him, which is quite unusual for this Bond :D

Also that scene was nothing compared to what he did to the Hitman in Vargr, but there it might have seemed more justified since he just tried to kill Bond.
    edited October 2016 Posts: 15,423

You do whatever you have to do to avoid this one issue, because it actually does surpass mass violence and things we've seen inside with Bond and Tanner interrogating the anarchist... Well, the torture was a bit too much... He'd never do that. Sorry, Ellis, but even though I like his writings, this issue was rushed and ballsed up.

i have to say the Torture scene was a bit off putting for me as well, i was suprised to say the least....

I'll put the rest in a spoiler tag:
    at the same time if you look at it objectively, this was an extreme situation and they needed results quickly. Also the guy said himself he is trained against Torture....
    so i can see the necessity.

In a post guantanamo bay and 24 world, i can see an agent doing stuff like this if they are under pressure and in the end they didn't even kill him, which is quite unusual for this Bond :D

Also that scene was nothing compared to what he did to the Hitman in Vargr, but there it might have seemed more justified since he just tried to kill Bond.
    I definitely see where you're coming from, @00Agent. Yes, and a couple of pages ago I made a similar claim on how the game was changed as well as its methods since the Cold War. But, lest we forget this is a James Bond adventure we're experiencing. Bond wouldn't go that kind of violent.
    Scratching an enemy with a razor and make "a chamois out of his skin" to "decorate his car"? That's psychopathic, sorry. Ellis went a bit too far with this. They could have ignored that scene and leave it to the reader's imagination. No need to mention the blood loss from the terrorist (actually a rogue MI-5 blackops operative) would make a pint. That's Dexter Morgan. That's Hannibal Lecter. Not James Bond.

Now, on the other hand, I, as a Bond fan, am not giving up on it. Far from it. I just hope the next one gets its head back in the game. This issue pretty much didn't do anything up until the last scene.

----

On other notes, a new writer for Dynamite Bond series announced. Benjamin Percy is on board to write an installment in the franchise, still unnamed, and artist unannounced as of yet, set to come out sometime in 2017.

More news here:
    http://www.newsarama.com/31345-green-arrow-writer-grabs-james-bond-franchise.html

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, you're a DC Comics buff more than anyone else. I think you might be interested in this one.