Movies re - scored.

Watching Torn Curtain with the Hermann score that was rejected, unfortunately incomplete. Would have loved to have watched Torn Curtain with a Hermann score as apposed to John Addison's score.

Leading to my question, what films would you re - score and by whom. I often feel with many films the soundtrack is fifty per cent of the experience. There have been many films over the years I have watched that I felt the score let down.

Comments

• FYEO - I will admit Conte's score has its moments though every time I watch this film I can't help think if only Barry wrote the score, would have elevated this film near to the top IMO.

Star Trek The Voyage Home - Despise this soundtrack, can understand they were looking for something comedic and earth bound. If only Horner had done the score to close the three film story arc.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Dr. No.
    The Spy Who Loved Me.
    Robocop 2.
    Star Trek IV.
    Dark Knight Trilogy.

• chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    edited September 2014 Posts: 17,687
    I agree with your two above totally!
    I'd also give TSWLM to Barry.
    A little known movie, Ladyhawke, needed a good Barry or Goldsmith score; the composers that collaborated gave us a very disjointed and irritating score, one of the worst in history given the genre of movie .
  • Just sticking with Bond for now: I would love to see Dr. No, The Spy Who Loved Me, and For Your Eyes Only with rich, lush, melodic scores by the one and only John Barry. Also, Never Say Never Again with a score by Michel Legrand. Phenomenal composer, really. Has composed some marvelous, gorgeous themes. Would work wonders on a Bond film. Wonder why Sean Connery or anybody hadn't thought of him...
  • chrisisall wrote: »
    I agree with your two above totally!
    I'd also give TSWLM to Barry.
    A little known movie, Ladyhawke, needed a good Barry or Goldsmith score.

Funny you should mention Donner's Ladyhawk recently recorded it, started watching it earlier in the week. Last time I watched it was probably the 80s, soon as the film started was appalled at the noise I was hearing. Agree awful soundtrack lol
  • Murdock wrote: »
    Robocop 2.

Absolutely!!! I'll add NSNA
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm

Funny you should mention Donner's Ladyhawk recently recorded it, started watching it earlier in the week. Last time I watched it was probably the 80s, soon as the film started was appalled at the noise I was hearing.
    And it's sad because it's such a good movie... the soundtrack calms down in places (most importantly the climax), but Barry would have given the whole movie the weight of grandeur it deserved.
  • edited September 2014 Posts: 6,432
    chrisisall wrote: »

Funny you should mention Donner's Ladyhawk recently recorded it, started watching it earlier in the week. Last time I watched it was probably the 80s, soon as the film started was appalled at the noise I was hearing.
    And it's sad because it's such a good movie... the soundtrack calms down in places (most importantly the climax), but Barry would have given the whole movie the weight of grandeur it deserved.

I'll give it a revisit when I get chance, though true the music is at odds with the genre.

Another films score Rocky 5, some cringe worthy tracks that don't fit Rocky for me. Bill Conte should have returned for 5.
  • Rocky V is the most badly dated of all, just because of all the bad 90's rap!
  • Rocky V is the most badly dated of all, just because of all the bad 90's rap!

The track Go for it! Is bad. The rap music in that film constantly takes me out of the movie.

chrisisall wrote: »

I quite like the Alan Parsons project kind of approach in favor of the orchestral style which were kind of overused with fantasy movies.

And some of the tunes from the movie remain a favorite of mine until this day. It was different and definitely was well done. Good choice by Donner.
    For me none of the 007 movies need a re score as they are all remarkably well recognizable in their identity. FYEO, LALD & TSWLM are examples of a different approach to JB's soundtrack, but they are all far better efforts with their own style than the last three 007 soundtracks. If any they should be re-scored.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yes, Ladyhawke! It has one of the all-time worst scores.