"My God ..You've just killed James Bond !! "

13»

Comments

Never look at it like this @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. It is true that as of YOLT Bond was getting a bit too famous in-universe. It is even a plot point. In OHMSS he seems to be back into relative anonymity. Wil need to watch DAF again. Darnit.
    There is a lot of material provided by Fleming that would have been interesting in DAF. Both in his book by that title as well as a book listed as non-fiction, “The Diamond Smugglers”, the production company had a wealth of topics to explore on the subject of diamonds, and some of that additional material might have added more depth to the film. The script is having some fun with the audience, and that is fine with me since I go to the movies, or watch movies on DVD for entertainment. If I want reality it’s easy enough to find out in the real world. Bond, as has already been said, was an established commodity by the time DAF was being made, and it’s nice to see a little “artistic license” being exercised by the production group, or to coin an old joke, “steak everyday is fine, but sometimes hamburger is a refreshing treat”. I particularly liked the addition of the ‘Playboy Club Key’ card in the wallet.
    I don't mind the Playboy Club Card,but I just don't think the dialogue was necessary...they could have come up with something better,after a big fight scene like that.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Did excerpts of Fleming's Bond novels ever feature in Playboy?
    That's a good question,off hand I must admit I don't recall anything,but then alchohol has made me brain dead over the years ;)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Only some of the short stories.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 2,896

Not so--OHMSS, YOLT, and TMWTGG were all serialized in Playboy. You can see the illustrations that accompanied them here: http://illustrated007.blogspot.com/search?q=playboy
    Some are quite lovely.
    Revelator wrote: »

Not so--OHMSS, YOLT, and TMWTGG were all serialized in Playboy. You can see the illustrations that accompanied them here: http://illustrated007.blogspot.com/search?q=playboy
    Some are quite lovely.

Brilliant find there @Revelator ...interesting artwork.i love the Craig,Brosnan and Sherlock Bond ones,and the one in M's office..
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 4,622
    barryt007 wrote: »

Some are quite lovely.

Brilliant find there @Revelator ...interesting artwork.i love the Craig,Brosnan and Sherlock Bond ones,and the one in M's office..
    Ditto!!
    Great find. Bookmarked! A real nice Bond site. Will be spending some quality time there.
    Love that old Playboy artwork, especially TMWTGG drawings. Those drawings really bring the book to life.
    I like the 2016 Bond folio hardcover editions too.
    Some nice artwork there.
    I am proud owner btw of the Playboy Benson edition, pictured in the blog. Sealed in plastic. It's not Fleming, but still a nice Bond collectable.
    I also have all the Playboy Baywatch editions (or most of them at least) but that's another story. :)
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I thought I'd read that once. I like that DAF commented on Bond's Playboy ties, to be meta or not.
    Laz reads a Playboy, while on assignment in OHMSS too. No doubt a Playboy Key Club member then too. I would expect no less.
    Seeing all those cool Playboy illustrations for Fleming's books with Sean as the reference for Bond makes me crave to see him in adaptions of TMWTGG and YOLT that didn't hold anything back.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 142
    Take heart @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 , perhaps the next Emanuelle remake will be a take on Bond’s unseen lifestyle.
  • edited June 2017 Posts: 3,333
    slyfox wrote: »
    For me, these examples are (as @TheWizardOfIce correctly states) far worse than the "This never happened to the other fella" line in OHMSS which always seems to receive the heaviest degree of negative feedback from fans (I always thought it related to a Cindarella link when I was a kid!)
    Same here @slyfox. When I first saw OHMSS as a kid, I too thought Bond was referring to Cinderella and her missing slipper. I guess the line can be read either way.

I agree that DAF is silly nonsense, but the elevator fight is great, even though it ends on the silly fire extinguisher foam in the face routine. The punch up is excellent.
    bondsum wrote: »
    slyfox wrote: »
    For me, these examples are (as @TheWizardOfIce correctly states) far worse than the "This never happened to the other fella" line in OHMSS which always seems to receive the heaviest degree of negative feedback from fans (I always thought it related to a Cindarella link when I was a kid!)
    Same here @slyfox. When I first saw OHMSS as a kid, I too thought Bond was referring to Cinderella and her missing slipper. I guess the line can be read either way.

I agree that DAF is silly nonsense, but the elevator fight is great, even though it ends on the silly fire extinguisher foam in the face routine. The punch up is excellent.

That annoys me as well...it's a total fight to the death in a confined space,the fight spills out onto the corridor and you are then dying for something to happen,and then you get the daft extinguisher blast.

And THEN you get that really dodgy scene...'no-ones indestructable'.....yeah blah blah blah.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Some are quite lovely.

Oh yes. I have actually seen that art before, but forgot about it.
    I've never found the fire extinguisher bit to be silly. Bond uses it to push Franks to his death, then gives it a toss. The extinguisher reacts as any of the units would, expelling fluid.
  • w2bondw2bond is indeed a very rare breed
    And its a good use of objects in the environment
    That's a fair point chaps,tbh.