"My God ..You've just killed James Bond !! "

edited March 2011 in Bond Movies Posts: 19,339
Does anyone else find this scene/comment one of the most annoying in the series ?

"You cant just kill James Bond and sit around waiting for the cops to arrive,we've gotta get these diamonds outa here and fast !!"

It seems to me this moment in DAF set the scene for the comedy Bond BEFORE Sir Roger came along,showing the 'Playboy membership ' card etc...

Connery: " Is that who it was ? Well it just proves no-ones indestructable"

When did Bond seem indestructable before this comment ,straight after his most 'vulnerable' scenes at the end of OHMSS...

DAF has a lot to answer for in the change of direction in Bond after OHMSS and seems to be the pivoting point for me.

What do you think ?

Comments

• Yes, that's certainly one of the scenes early on in the film that tips DAF into becoming a mockery of the 1960s films. Although, the emotionally hollow and lacklustre "revenge" in the PTS already signals that DAF is in an altogether different universe than OHMSS.
  • I just like the fact 007 has a playboy membership card with his actual name on it. Good way to be a spy, Bond.....
    lol the playboy membership,well we know Bond is chick magnet but it is somehow odd.
    and there are few movies changing Bond.DAF was interesting movie and Bond was "killed" in YOLT too
  • edited March 2011 Posts: 4,622
    Quoting barryt007: What do you think ?
    ==
    This would be one of my favourite scenes in the whole series. Sean's deadpan delivery beautifully contrasts St. John's infectious excitability and nicely tempers the violence of the just concluded elevator fight, fire extinguisher fight.
    It's a nice wink wink to the audience, that have shared in Bond's exploits over the past decade.
    I'm sure Hef appreciated the plug and probably later harassed both St. John and Lana Wood to do a photo spread.
    Bond filmmaking at it finest IMO.
    Rog could have pulled off this scene as well, but not so much the preceding fight , so the net effect is that the scene works exceptionally well for Sean, coming off such an intense fight.
  • The Playboy Club membership club justifies the whole scene. As does Connery's delivery.
  • I always felt that it was Sean's way of saying that 007 will carry on without him in the role
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    barryt007 wrote:
    Does anyone else find this scene/comment one of the most annoying in the series ?

"You cant just kill James Bond and sit around waiting for the cops to arrive,we've gotta get these diamonds outa here and fast !!"

It seems to me this moment in DAF set the scene for the comedy Bond BEFORE Sir Roger came along,showing the 'Playboy membership ' card etc...

When did Bond seem indestructable before this comment ,straight after his most 'vulnerable' scenes at the end of OHMSS...

DAF has a lot to answer for in the change of direction in Bond after OHMSS and seems to be the pivoting point for me.

What do you think ?

My thoughts exactly - he's meant to be a secret agent and yet old Mankeiwicz seems to think some gangster's moll would know who he was! And Bond a member of the Playboy Club, laughable.
    And again in TMWTGG Bond says 'And there aren't many who haven't heard of Bond. British Secret Service. Licence to Kill' WTF! I think it is for those reasons I have trouble with these films.
    timmer wrote:
    <blockquote><a href="/index.php?p=/discussion/100/my-god-..youve-just-killed-james-bond-/p1">Quoting barryt007</a>: What do you think ? </blockquote>
    ==
    This would be one of my favourite scenes in the whole series. Sean's deadpan delivery beautifully contrasts St. John's infectious excitability and nicely tempers the violence of the just concluded elevator fight, fire extinguisher fight.
    It's a nice wink wink to the audience, that have shared in Bond's exploits over the past decade.
    I'm sure Hef appreciated the plug and probably later harassed both St. John and Lana Wood to do a photo spread.
    Bond filmmaking at it finest IMO.
    Rog could have pulled off this scene as well, but not so much the preceding fight , so the net effect is that the scene works exceptionally well for Sean, coming off such an intense fight.

I've always loved the scene. I had never thought it through this way, but that's exactly the feeling. I also like how it shows Bond quick spy skills in doing a spur of the moment seemless identity switch and pulling it off.
    What I really don't like about this scene is that Tiffany actually knows who Bond is. This doesn't just happen with her in DAF, there are other scenes like it. For instance, in NSNA when Fatima Blush immediately recognizes 007 outside Jack Patchi's window, or in YOLT when Blofeld knows that 007 uses a Walther PPK even though he himself up to that point had never met him face-to-face, and none of his operatives that Bond had faced had lived to talk about him. For a supposed "secret agent", Bond sure does make a name for himself in the criminal underworld!
    That is so damn true!! That always bugged me as well. Tiffany should have said 'Here's his ID-- James Bond it says....'

Also I lol'd at Connery's line later in the same movie when he's pretending to be Saxby: 'I'm just not comfortable taking on someone as TOUGH AS JAMES BOND'. Don't flatter yourself James! :D
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    barryt007 wrote:

What do you think ?

My thoughts exactly - he's meant to be a secret agent and yet old Mankeiwicz seems to think some gangster's moll would know who he was! And Bond a member of the Playboy Club, laughable.
    And again in TMWTGG Bond says 'And there aren't many who haven't heard of Bond. British Secret Service. Licence to Kill' WTF! I think it is for those reasons I have trouble with these films.

People go on about 'this never happened to the other fella' breaking the 4th wall - well this doesnt just break it, it drives a JCB straight through it. Just another nail in DAFs shambolic coffin.
    That is so damn true!! That always bugged me as well. Tiffany should have said 'Here's his ID-- James Bond it says....'

Also I lol'd at Connery's line later in the same movie when he's pretending to be Saxby: 'I'm just not comfortable taking on someone as TOUGH AS JAMES BOND'. Don't flatter yourself James! :D

Hahahaha, that bothered me also, because unless Bond was just flattering himself there for kicks, then that's even more evidence that every criminal on the face of the planet knows who he is!
    What really would have made that scene funny is if all the guys in the room with him rolled their eyes, lol
    What really would have made that scene funny is if all the guys in the room with him rolled their eyes, lol

Well we know Q would have! Hahaha.
    I like the Playboy membership card, afterall, if anyone can qualify as being a playboy type then Bond certainly has no problems there. The thing I do hate about it though is Tiffany Case instantly knowing who Bond is, like he's the world famous James Bond that everyone knows about!! I have no problem with the likes of Spectre, Smersh, the Russians or Quantum knowing of him but a nobody criminal type like her?? - Tongue-in-cheek or not, it is just plain wrong.
    Tongue-in-cheek or not, it is just plain wrong.

Nah, you guys just need to lighten up a bit. As timmer says above, "It's a nice wink wink to the audience, that have shared in Bond's exploits over the past decade". The key there is the legacy of Bond. In 1971, Bond had been the biggest movie series in the world for the past 10 years, so the series (and the character) would be self-aware for the time. DAF pays tribute to this legacy. That scene is no more than a good little laugh for the audience.
    I'm not a huge DAF fan but I like the line.
    JBFan626 wrote:
    Tongue-in-cheek or not, it is just plain wrong.

Nah, you guys just need to lighten up a bit. As timmer says above, "It's a nice wink wink to the audience, that have shared in Bond's exploits over the past decade". The key there is the legacy of Bond. In 1971, Bond had been the biggest movie series in the world for the past 10 years, so the series (and the character) would be self-aware for the time. DAF pays tribute to this legacy. That scene is no more than a good little laugh for the audience.

I get your point and it is a fair comment but I've never liked the wink to the camera stuff. Fair play for when this happens in a striaght up comedy but for me, Bond is not and never should be a comedy and these cheesy moments are just too cringe-worthy for me. Don't get me wrong, I feel that humourous moments are expected and appreciated in Bond movies as light relief but I prefer the humour to be witty and clever not cheesy and lame.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    What about the San Francisco police captain knowing who Bond is in AVTAK?

"Actually captain I'm with the British secret service. My name is Bond...James Bond."
    "Is he?"
    "Are you?"
    "Yes."
    "And I'm Dick Tracy, and you're still under-arrest."

A thorn in AVTAK's side.
  • I didn't like the line, but there are very few lines from the movie I did.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 940
    Whilst Connery's DAF delivery was amusing, this scene was a bad idea for me. And I absolutely detest TMWTGG's "And there aren't many who haven't heard of Bond. British Secret Service. Licence to Kill" and other examples given above. I like Bond to be SECRET service, not a global figurehead - it turns the character into a joke.

For me, these examples are (as @TheWizardOfIce correctly states) far worse than the "This never happened to the other fella" line in OHMSS which always seems to receive the heaviest degree of negative feedback from fans (I always thought it related to a Cindarella link when I was a kid!)
    Yeah, they make Bond seem more like Tony Stark as Iron Man-- EVERYONE knows him!!
    Benny wrote:

"Actually captain I'm with the British secret service. My name is Bond...James Bond."
    "Is he?"
    "Are you?"
    "Yes."

A thorn in AVTAK's side.

Agreed!! - No surprise that the two Eon Bond movies I least like are DAF & AVTAK
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    Benny wrote:

"Is he?"
    "Are you?"
    "Yes."

A thorn in AVTAK's side.

I think theres a case for the defence in this instance that isnt there in the DAF or TMWTGG ones.

Could it not just be that the Sheriffs 'Dick Tracy' comment is in response to 'I'm with the British Secret Service' rather than 'Bond. James Bond.'?

He has never heard of Bond but is merely pointing out how ludicrous he thinks 'I work for the British Secret Service' is as a defence.

Still a crap exchange though and if you axe the entire Sheriff and Keystone cops fire truck chase scenes I would love AVTAK a whole lot more.
  • Lancaster007Lancaster007 Shrublands Health Clinic, England
    Benny wrote:

"Is he?"
    "Are you?"
    "Yes."

A thorn in AVTAK's side.

I think theres a case for the defence in this instance that isnt there in the DAF or TMWTGG ones.

Could it not just be that the Sheriffs 'Dick Tracy' comment is in response to 'I'm with the British Secret Service' rather than 'Bond. James Bond.'?

He has never heard of Bond but is merely pointing out how ludicrous he thinks 'I work for the British Secret Service' is as a defence.

Still a crap exchange though and if you axe the entire Sheriff and Keystone cops fire truck chase scenes I would love AVTAK a whole lot more.

I must admit when I first saw the film, I thought the sheriff was referring to the 'British Secret Service' comment. But pretty dire anyhow.
    Yeah I always thought he was referring to the 'Secret Service' excuse. I mean imagine being a cop and hearing that out of a suspect! 'Oh it's cool, I'm with the Secret Service'

Cop: 'Tell it to the Judge, beeyotch.' (Cuffs)
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 1,497
    Yeah I always thought he was referring to the 'Secret Service' excuse. I mean imagine being a cop and hearing that out of a suspect! 'Oh it's cool, I'm with the Secret Service'

Cop: 'Tell it to the Judge, beeyotch.' (Cuffs)

That was always my take on it. I actually like that scene. It works differently than the DAF scene. The AVTAK scene doesn't really break the 4th wall the way DAF does.

...or perhaps there WAS a subtle inside joke by the film-makers, as if to say, "You're British Secret Service??? You're way too old for the part and you should have hung it up after FYEO!"
    I feel like Bond may as well have made a break for it in the first place. I mean, what did he expect the cop to say? "OH you're with the British Secret Service!! WELL! Why didn't you say so?? Here's your gun back!"

'Secret Agents' are the good guys, but they don't always have time to deal with the authorities- for example, in CR at the Airport, Bond was damn lucky they just apprehended him and didn't blow him away-- and even a deleted scene from AVTAK shows that Bond was arrested after the Paris car chase.

Thats the way i see it as well,it wasnt really a tongue in cheek situation so i have no rpibs with this scene the way i do with DAF.

Yes, the series became too goofy (at times) after this and Connery was way campier in this than Moore ever was. It took until FYEO for it to come back to earth (literally in the case after MR).

But that was the 70's I guess.