The Horror Thread II: The Return

Comments

• MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Momentum on Friday The 13th is continuing:

http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3423135/friday-13th-hires-effects-team-jason-mask-may-based-part-3/

With filming set to begin next month, we won't have long to wait to see the cast.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Thanks for that, Major. I need to keep my eyes posted on BloodyDisgusting, as I've yet to see new information on this latest installment shared anywhere else.

As for the mask in question, I always loved that one, so I wouldn't mind seeing it return (though I wonder if, then, 'Part 3' will somehow play into this 13th installment? Or maybe they just liked the look of the mask in 'Part 3' and wanted to use the same type).
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    There's been talk of it being set possibly in the 1980's, but nothing has been conformed. But seeing as how The Final Chapter picks up where Pt 3 left off, there isn't any way to tie the film in, without messing about with the timeline. I think they're basing the new mask of the Pt 3 one, simply because it is the first time we see Jason with his iconic look. Though my favourite look is still that seen in The New Blood.
    Given this new wave of 80's-set period pieces we're getting, particularly 'Stranger Things' and the new 'IT' adaptation being set in the 1980's/present day, I won't be surprised if the 80's setting ends up confirmed for this, as well.

A new 'Friday the 13th' and 'IT' this year will make me a very happy horror fan...provided they don't turn out to be trainwrecks.
    It's almost as if the horror directors of the world united to make me a happy horror fan this year: 'The Strangers 2' begins casting, set to shoot in the summer. Previously rumored plot of a family being trapped in a trailer park as the three strangers come to pay them a visit is still intact:

http://deadline.com/2017/02/bloom-the-strangers-2-berlin-the-fyzz-facility-johannes-roberts-1201902554/
    Looking at it's IMDB page, The Strangers passed me by.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I loved The Strangers and Tomandandy's score to that film!
    Probably one of the few consistently scary films I've caught in the last decade-ish. Flips a lot of tried-and-tired horror tropes on their head wonderfully.
    Loved The Strangers. One of those films that was actually scary as opposed to simply being the usual gross-out gorefests that horror films tend to be these days. Plus that potato-sack mask worn by the main guy is one of the scarier horror movie masks since the original Halloween.
    dalton wrote: »
    Loved The Strangers. One of those films that was actually scary as opposed to simply being the usual gross-out gorefests that horror films tend to be these days. Plus that potato-sack mask worn by the main guy is one of the scarier horror movie masks since the original Halloween.

The villains utilize the simplest, most twisted motivation I've ever seen in a horror movie, too, which is great.
    There's no rhyme or reason, it isn't vengeful or any sort of payback, it's solely "because you were home."
    In that case, i'll add it to my list of films to see.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    dalton wrote: »

The villains utilize the simplest, most twisted motivation I've ever seen in a horror movie, too, which is great.
    There's no rhyme or reason, it isn't vengeful or any sort of payback, it's solely "because you were home."

Agreed.

That and the scene that is depicted on one of the posters:
    Liv Tyler standing seemingly by herself in the house with the man in the potato sack mask just barely visible in a doorway
    is one of the more unsettling scenes in recent horror.

@dalton, those subtle horror moments always seem to get me, like that one in particular. Or the moment in 'Insidious' when:
    They move to the new house and get settled in, thinking they left the spirits/entities behind, only for us to follow Byrne's character as she cleans up the house, and as she makes her way through the kitchen, if you look closely, you can see the creepy ghost of the boy (the one that looks like he was yanked from the 1800's, that ends up dancing in the living room moments later) standing, face-first, in the corner of the kitchen. Gives me chills even thinking about it.
    Well, so much for wishful thinking.

Paramount has pulled the 'World War Z' sequel (no surprise) and 'Friday the 13th' (big surprise, considering they were in the midst of casting) from their 2017 schedule:

http://www.slashfilm.com/world-war-z-sequel-delayed/#more-397453
    Well, I guess this means that the Friday the 13th franchise is officially dead.

Perhaps, if Paramount doesn't want anything to do with it anymore, they can sell it to someone who might have some fresh ideas about how to approach the property.
  • It's turning into the now comical The Crow reboot. Every few years it picks up a little steam with a director and maybe as far as casting, then dies.

Whenever they say The Crow reboot is coming I'm always like 'uh huh, sure it is.' Friday the 13th too now :(
    This is a crushing disappointment, especially with the film having reached the casting stage. But maybe it isn't the end. When Paramount got back the rights, back in 2013, they had a 5 year window in which make a new film. That hasn't happened, and next year, Warner Bros (who own New Line Cinema) reclaim those rights they traded (along with South Park), for a piece of Interstellar. While that doesn't answer why Paramount dismally failed at getting a single Friday The 13th through production, it's possible that New Line Cinema, having reclaimed the series, might make the next one. But that will be 2019 at the earliest.
    I just hate when a particular company grabs the rights to a property, then doesn't utilize them until the last minute, sending out a half-assed, rush-produced film, just to hold onto the rights/get their piece of the pie. It's terrible. Oh well, maybe one day we'll get another installment, but it looks like that's not going to be happening for a good while. It's a shame that slashers such as this series have all but gone to the wayside these days.
    When Warner (/New Line) retake the series next year, I would like the see a new sequel. I need to re-watch Jason X, but do the events of that film really paint the series into a corner? Who knows what else was being carried out in the Crystal Lake Research Facility. Maybe they were indulging in a little cloning, and it was a clone that was frozen, while the real Jason was held elsewhere in the facility. The rest is up to whomever is hired to write the film.
    They would've been better off continuing to ignore the events of 'Jason X' and building off the reboot instead. Could've gone with the "just a dream" explanation for the final few moments, and just kicked things off with another group of kids. I needn't see anything extravagant, just a simple excuse to put some dumb teenagers at the lake for Jason to take out one by one.
    Well, considering that it will be Warner (/New Line), who will have the rights from 2018, we could see a sequel to the reboot (which was a New Line & Platinum Dunes film). Paramount were never going to do a sequel to a New Line film. But now that Jason is in the hands of New Line again...
    edited February 2017 Posts: 40,473
    That's true, I didn't even think of that. Hopefully that's the case, but in all honesty, I just want another 'Friday the 13th' film. Another reboot, a sequel, a prequel, something working off of 'Jason X,' I don't even give a shit anymore; I just want more Voorhees.

Also, is anyone else's 'Horror Thread' page oddly stretched out and formatted? It's happened to me on other threads in the past, and this one seems to be the same way now. The place to post a comment is at the very, very bottom of the page now, stretched beyond all the other comments.
    edited February 2017 Posts: 13,894
    And don't forget about the Winter setting.

As for the page, at the bottom of the page? Yes, my comment box is stretched as well. :-? Also, when I post a comment, I have to refresh the page to see it.
    Same here; had to refresh to edit that previous comment, for some reason. It happened once on the 'Last Video Game You Played?' thread, and it magically corrected itself after a few months.

As for that winter setting, a man can dream. Would certainly spice up the franchise enough, given we haven't had a wintery location in any of the films.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    And there is a strange dot above your avatar. Witchcraft?
    And the black dot only appears on the last few posts.
    The dots are present for me, as well. The display text (time of posting, number of posts, etc.) is a bit larger and spaced out, too. Must just be some odd formatting issue that happens every so often; maybe it's due to a certain link that's shared/spoiler tags being read as too large or something? I'm not sure.
    http://bloody-disgusting.com/news/3423833/hellraiser-judgment-may-getting-limited-theatrical-release/

I still haven't seen 'Revelations', which I everything I heard about it was extremely negative.
    Sounds like the plot of the last few 'Hellraiser' installments. Personally, I had no idea that they were shooting another one, especially after that last trainwreck they did.