Coming Soon To Consoles! - The Upcoming Games Thread

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    They killed Dick Grayson more than I could remember.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    If it was Damian Wayne they were killing, I'd preorder the most expensive edition despite not having the system to play it on or the VR equipment to enjoy it.
    If it was Damian Wayne they were killing, I'd preorder the most expensive edition despite not having the system to play it on or the VR equipment to enjoy it.
    I take it you don't like Damian Wayne? :))
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Some of these VR "games" seem more like experiences; cool for the first few tries, but not something worth purchasing and playing over and over again.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    edited June 2016 Posts: 28,694
    How do we know
    Dick may be dead
    exactly? It certainly wouldn't mesh with the Arkham canon.

Either way, I'm kind of with @Risico007 on this Joker business. MARK HAMill is God to me, and he's the best Joker we'll ever get, but writers really need to use more than him as the villain in EVERYTHING. I think a lot of the backlash from Arkham Origins came from that frustration, because Black Mask would've been fascinating to see, until Joker waltzed in and stole the show for the thousandth time, no offense to Troy Baker. Batman has the best rogue's gallery out there, and to see it so often wasted, with Joker at center stage and most everyone else relegated to quick side missions, I get pissed.

This VR business, to me, is nothing special or worth the time and money. It's just the new motion controls, a snazzy, flashy item that some people think they'll need, then buy and hate or never use. Gaming has and always will be about a joystick. It's been the consistent tool for gaming enjoyment from the start, and joysticks, buttons and triggers are still going to be here decades after this VR mumbo gumbo runs its course.

I don't know what this Batman VR will allow you to do, but I do know that it won't make me feel like Batman even half as much as Arkham Knight does, because the joystick is used to help you embody his character. I'll need to see some footage to see what Rocksteady are doing with it, but I must say, I'm disappointed. They spoke of wanting to get away from Batman and do something new, then fell right back into it developing another Batman title for a super niche market. Meh.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    I take it you don't like Damian Wayne? :))

If there's every a definition for the word "understatement", that would be it.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, there was this ill-fated Joker-less Batman computer animated series called Beware The Batman. I rather loved that one despite the criticism of it. Have you seen it?
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, there was this ill-fated Joker-less Batman computer animated series called Beware The Batman. I rather loved that one despite the criticism of it. Have you seen it?

I watched some of it. They didn't exactly pick (or do anything with) any compelling villains until the second half that I didn't watch, but the show was pretty good. You could see the animation evolving over time, which was nice.
    Agreed I like beware the batman as it showcased a lot of villains that never got the time of day.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Agreed I like beware the batman as it showcased a lot of villains that never got the time of day.

Some of them for good reason, because the show itself couldn't exactly breathe a life into them. But the voice cast was amazing.
    Shrugs I felt they did a decent job with magpie anarchy Humpty Dumpty and professor pyg and toad
    Don't get me wrong, they did the best they could, but not every comic book character can make the leap off the page without seeming silly.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    @Agent007391, the most useless villains were Professor Pyg and Mister Toad, if you ask me. They were just... too silly and too cartoonish... And I'd rather not mention Humpty Dumpty... Worthy of the Adam West Batman Show. But, I did love Ra'as Al Ghul and Lady Shiva.

And I have to say, I absolutely loved Alfred as being more of a muscleman (and ex-secret agent), who apparently is inspired by Sean Connery's presence in The Untounchables. Additionally, I really did prefer Katana as Batman's sidekick than any of the Robins in the history of DC Comics.
    Alfred being a badass battle butler was great, Katana was great, my only problem was the villains of the first half of the season, as that's the only half of the show I've seen. I've meant to rewatch it one of these days, but things like Voltron get in my way.
    edited June 2016 Posts: 15,423
    Alfred being a badass battle butler was great, Katana was great, my only problem was the villains of the first half of the season, as that's the only half of the show I've seen. I've meant to rewatch it one of these days, but things like Voltron get in my way.
    While I did like the pacing, I do agree that it started off lightly until Ra'as Al Ghul was introduced. I didn't watch the rest of the series back then because it was cancelled, but picked it up on home video format and watched the rest. Loved it. The opening theme song is badass, too.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    @ClarkDevlin, I tried to watch Beware the Batman, but never got into it. As some have said, it was great to see lesser-known or featured villains shown, but some of the villains weren't well-known for a reason. It was just "meh" to me, but I may go back some day, who knows. At this point though, with no chance of it being picked up for more, why bother?

I will say though that it pisses me off that they swapped the likes of that show and Young Justice for Teen Titans Go!, a mess of a show that is just beyond amateurish and uninspired. The problem with a lot of TV now is that so much of it is written solely for kids, so adults like us can't really connect to stories of Robin and Cyborg fighting over pizza (shoot me) or something dumb like that. When I was growing up, clever writers made stories for both the kids and the adults, and they never had to tell overly-sentimental or kiddie type stories for you to enjoy them. Shows used to always have a lesson at the end of them that was as important to experience, no matter your age. What happened to all this? The show that dared to do that on Cartoon Network in recent times, Young Justice, got cut down, while Titans remains in its place. If you ask me, that villainy trumps anything Joker has ever done, even counting his actions in No Man's Land! Apologies to the dead babies...

The Batman is the show I really enjoy outside of Batman: The Animated Series these days. Great, Japanese influenced animation style and action, with Rino Romano as a great Bruce, and some interesting stories told that get to the humanity of a few characters you don't see focused on much. Nothing to the level of BTAS and they screw up Joker and Freeze pretty bad, but I still enjoy it. I need to check out the last season where they get the Justice League in there, just to see how they did it.
    @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, I'm sure you know about it since you're a 'Batman' fanatic, but now that you have a PS4, any interest in returning to the Arkham games? They're doing the remastered version of one or two of them and it's released in a few weeks, I believe. Not 100% sure on all the details, but figured it'd be right up your alley. I'm eyeballing that 'Skyrim Remastered' for the PS4.
    @Creasy47, nah, not really. From what I've seen, it's just not something that interests me. I'm quickly running out of space on my hard drive that I'm saving for some other games, like Mad Max, so remasters are off the table. If I want to play the past Arkham games, I'll just get back to my PS3 and do it that way.

The remaster doesn't seem major at all, and only really visual in nature. I'd love to see the remaster team take the fighting and movement mechanics of City, which were more developed, polished and fleshed out, and use them in Asylum to really enrich that game more. I love Asylum, but the controls are wanting after playing City and Knight, as they take it all to another level. I don't think the remaster team are doing that though, unfortunately. At this point, I think that's the only thing that'd make me double dip, and even then I'd wait months for a sale to come around.

Remasters really should strive to be more than they are, where developers actually improve the game in a lot of ways that make it more enjoyable or fleshed out than the original. The "Definitive Edition" of Sleeping Dogs is a great example of this, as the remaster made its game world more detailed and atmospheric while also making the past DLC actual story missions in the game that add to the protagonist's development. Random events and cop styled missions were also added, making the open world feel much more alive. That's the kind of stuff I'd like to see remasters do: take the base game, beauty it up if you must, then really make it feel like a better, more realized game than it was before with the increased technological capabilities of this current generation of consoles at your fingertips.
    You know you can always clear out your hard drive of stuff you don't play anymore? I delete games all the time, even if I think I may come back to them in the near future, just because all it takes is another install. I've probably come close to running out of hard drive space a good ten times now.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    You know you can always clear out your hard drive of stuff you don't play anymore? I delete games all the time, even if I think I may come back to them in the near future, just because all it takes is another install. I've probably come close to running out of hard drive space a good ten times now.

I know, I just haven't found the proper way to do that yet. I assume you go into the Applications folder in your settings and delete that file of the game? Kind of like the PS4 equivalent of the PS3's Game Data Utility?
    Indeed! The great thing is a lot of those application files are anywhere from 20-50 GB, but deleting them only gets rid of the application itself, while keeping the saved data. Took me forever to realize that, was always worried it would delete both the game and all saved content. Another issue of mine is I like to record a lot of cool moments I have throughout games, but I don't immediately cut and edit them down, so for games like 'Rocket League,' I'm sitting on 20-30 GB of replays only.
    Indeed! The great thing is a lot of those application files are anywhere from 20-50 GB, but deleting them only gets rid of the application itself, while keeping the saved data. Took me forever to realize that, was always worried it would delete both the game and all saved content. Another issue of mine is I like to record a lot of cool moments I have throughout games, but I don't immediately cut and edit them down, so for games like 'Rocket League,' I'm sitting on 20-30 GB of replays only.

@Creasy47, a sad but kind of funny story: I take a copious amount of screenshots of games, mostly made up of Uncharted 4 and Arkham Knight shots, and they were taking up a lot of GBs, to say the least. So, I'm going through my hard drive a few nights back, and my mom was talking to me while I was doing it, so I was distracted, and though I meant to just delete a few folders of screenshots that were taking up some space I didn't care for, I accidentally opened the folder containing all the separate folders for each of my games, chose "Select All" and "Delete" without realizing what I was doing while still talking to my mom, all before it hit me seconds too late. I was upset for about five minutes, because I took some great shots in Uncharted 4, but then I realized that if I didn't delete all that GB chomping stuff on accident, I never would have, so I took it as a blessing in disguise. C'est la vie.
    Damn, that does kind of suck, though. Guess you have to play it again and take some more screenshots! I don't even want to imagine how many I took for that game, too many cinematic shots I had to save.
    Damn, that does kind of suck, though. Guess you have to play it again and take some more screenshots! I don't even want to imagine how many I took for that game, too many cinematic shots I had to save.

It really hasn't been that big a deal. Besides, I don't have a social networking account, so there'd have been no way for me to share them or get them in a large enough size to keep on my laptop anyway.
    Man, the upcoming Batman Arkham remasters are looking rough:

This game release is one of the very few times where the original actually looks visibly better than the so-called "improved" new one. Just take a look at 00:53 for a shot of Strange that is mind-blowingly horrid to me. The remaster has taken out a lot of the atmosphere from the games and tweaked a lot of the lighting and shadows, such that you can't even see Bruce in Dr. Strange's spectacles in the remastered version. The result are scenes where the colors are now too vibrant and there's no depth to the figures and poor shadow casting. Gotham shouldn't be created using a vibrant color palette!

The only clear things visibly better in the remasters are the improved rendering of buildings far off in the game world because of the obvious increase in draw distance the PS4/Xbox 1 allows, but other than that, I'm at a loss. For anyone who hasn't played the series yet and was interested in this release, I'd say save yourself the money and get the originals (the Game Of The Year editions for each) on the cheap. The remaster is so shoddy I'm now curious if it was all just a rush job created by WB pushing people to the July deadline, leading to corners being cut.
    Just going by that thumbnail, Batman got a face-lift and Joker got a couple of teeth replaced.
    Just going by that thumbnail, Batman got a face-lift and Joker got a couple of teeth replaced.
    I was going to say something similar. :))
    Yes, why they tweaked with the character models, I have no idea. Batman in Asylum looks really old, much older than he does in City, but the remaster team should have just taken the Bruce/Batman polygon model from City, retouched it and put it in Asylum if they were going to alter it that much.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    The remastered version looks like a PS2 game... :-O
    Murdock wrote: »
    The remastered version looks like a PS2 game... :-O

I can see that, in regards to the character models at least. Like old-gen character models, the textures for the remaster are minimal and there doesn't seem to be a lot of detailing or anything like that cast on them. The remastered character models look like they're missing over half the polygons of the originals, and that's just for the cutscenes! They also tweaked the facial hair too for some reason, evidenced by the wiry and ugly looking beard of Hugo Strange in the remaster. I don't know how they looked at their remaster and thought it actually looked improved over what came before.