SPECTRE Production Timeline

Comments

Was hoping to wake up to some more news tis morning? Sadly it was not meant to be! Oh well! Try again tomorrow! :D
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    The fact we're getting a Bond 24 is a celebration in itself.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Oh many of us are happy enough it is not an anniversary film and therefore may have less nods to previous films (less obvious nods, that is). I think Skyfall did that just right; DAD went way overboard.

Also, roughly three Bond movies come out in a decade; if every "tenth anniversary" were to be celebrated, one movie out of three would be a new "Die Another Day"-like full of self-references, shout outs and mythology gags. No thanks.
    doubleoego wrote: »

Yes I know. But in 2007 and 2011 the wait was slightly less exhausting really. What the hell are those guys at EON up to. Producing a film that's even better than CR and SF :-P :-P?

• edited October 2014 Posts: 4,619
    There is a very interesting rumor going around regarding the main villain. According to this rumor Chiwetel Ejiofor never was the first choice to play the main villain, he was only the plan B and the first choice, just like Ejiofor, is a black actor. (the source is a long time member of ajb007.co.uk)

My first guess is that it's Idris Elba, who would be an amazing choice.

Yes I know. But in 2007 and 2011 the wait was slightly less exhausting really. What the hell are those guys at EON up to. Producing a film that's even better than CR and SF :-P :-P?

How do you know it's going to be better than CR and SF? Have you already made your mind up, written the review, awarded your 5 stars to a movie that's not even in production yet? I know you're a big Nolan fan also... have you already decided that Interstellar is the best movie of 2014?

There is a very interesting rumor going around regarding the main villain. According to this rumor Chiwetel Ejiofor never was the first choice to play the main villain, he was only the plan B and the first choice, just like Ejiofor, is a black actor. (the source is a long time member of ajb007.co.uk)

Bad idea IMO, his fans and he probably himself want to see him as Bond (baaad idea) and that would only raise unneccessary "unhappiness"

bondsum wrote: »

How do you know it's going to be better than CR and SF? Have you already made your mind up, written the review, awarded your 5 stars to a movie that's not even in production yet? I know you're a big Nolan fan also... have you already decided that Interstellar is the best movie of 2014?

He aaked a question. Why do people keep on bashing the guy? Are you also bashing all those predictable negative people? If you do that, ignore my post, but i doubt it.

Interstellar is not doing too well on RT though.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,119
    bondsum wrote: »

For God sake, I am asking a QUESTION. How the hell do I know if Bond 24 will be better than CR and SF? I'm just being sarcastic, about the lack of "Bondleaks" on the Web. I always hope that the next one is better than the previous one. If you can't stand my excitement for movies, than take a fu#@#?ing (censored myself dear moderator!:@) hike and go to another topic where I'm not present. Sjee man......are there more people who criticise happiness and excitement about movies :@???
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 252

My first choise would be Michael Kenneth Williams
    Chalky_White.jpg
  • leas_moleleas_mole love is the promise of suffering

He is currently filming Bastille Day in Paris. Adèle Exarchopoulos was originally cast but she was replaced by Charlotte Le Bon due to filming conflicts. Filming is expected to wrap mid-December so who knows? But I think Idris Elba has his eyes on the Bond role.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 11,119
    leas_mole wrote: »

He is currently filming Bastille Day in Paris. Adèle Exarchopoulos was originally cast but she was replaced by Charlotte Le Bon due to filming conflicts. Filming is expected to wrap mid-December so who knows? But I think Idris Elba has his eyes on the Bond role.

Like I posted before.....the schedules of all Bond villain potentials:
    I have taken a look at the schedules of following actors (who could play a villain in Bond 24):
    --> DANIEL DAY-LEWIS (3 Oscar wins, 2 Golden Globe wins): [AVAILABLE]
    Has absolutely no schedule set out for a new movie since he did "Lincoln". But then again, he is also a stage actor and he only signs up for a movie every now (once every 2/3 years isn't an exception, so Day-Lewis is very very critical). Chance is slim Day-Lewis could be lured into doing a Bond film.
    --> CHRISTOPH WALTZ (2 Oscar wins, 2 Golden Globe wins): [AVAILABLE]
    Also Mr Waltz has no filming obligations anymore. Filming of "Tarzan" wrapped up on October 3rd this month. Waltz plays a villain in that film as well. Also another drama film with Waltz, "Tulip Fever", about the Dutch 17th century tulip craze, is already in post production. So he's free.
    --> DENZEL WASHINGTON (2 Oscar wins, 2 Golden Globe wins): [AVAILABLE]
    Also Denzel takes it easy lately. His latest movie "The Equalizer" is now in cinemas, but he has nothing scheduled for the near future. So also Washington could be signed up to play a villain without too much problems.
    --> IDRIS ELBA (1 Golden Globe win, 1 BAFTA-LA win): [TOO BUSY]
    Well, this lovely British actor has a really busy schedule right now. Currently (2014) he is filming: "A Hundred Streets" (release date late 2015), "Bastille Day" (release date summer 2016). He is also doing voice work for the animation films "Finding Dory" (summer 2016 release, sequel to Finding Nemo) and "The Jungle Book" (2015). After that he immediately starts filming on "Alive Alone" (2015) and "Knights of the Roundtable: King Arthur" (2016). So my guess is, that Elba can't be signed up for "Bond 24".
    --> JOHN MALKOVICH (2 Oscar nominations, 3 Golden Globe nominations): [AVAILABLE]
    This wunderful character actor knows how to play rather twisted, slightly crazy persons. And there's some good news. Currently his only film project he's filming right now is the drama "Dominion". It is set for an early 2015 release, so he almost finished filming.
    --> WILLIAM DAFOE (2 Oscar nominations, 1 Golden Globe nomination): [AVAILABLE]
    Dafoe played this marvellous psychtic in "The Grand Budapest Hotel". Also check him out in "John Wick" end of October when that film hits cinema. But as of today his schedule is completely free. He did not sign up for any new movie so far, so EON Productions could also call in Dafoe.
    --> CHIWETEL EJIOFOR (1 Oscar nomination, 3 Golden Globe nominations): [NOT TOO BUSY?]
    Yes, he is currently filming "The Secret In Their Eyes" with Julia Roberts. Thanks for the link @Pierce2Daniel ( http://variety.com/2014/film/news/julia-roberts-secret-in-their-eyes-remake-1201298236/ ). But it's only one film, the link is from early September, so he could perhaps already be halfway trhough filming, and after that he's got no schedule at all set up. "Triple Nine" and "Z For Zacharias" are already in post production.
    --> MICHAEL SHANNON (1 Oscar nomination): [AVAILABLE]
    Great drama actor who knows how to play a psychopath. He knows Sam Mendes, as he already worked with him in "Revolutionary Road, which was his breakthrough. "Take Shelter" was another drama film that got several prize nominations. His biggest blockbuster to date is "Man Of Steel". But as he already finished filming on the sci-fi drama "Midnight Special" he is free for filming.
    --> MICHAEL FASSBENDER (1 Oscar nomination, 2 Golden Globe nominations): [TOO BUSY]
    Currently he is filming "The Light Between Oceans". Then he continues on the production "Assassin's Creed" (summer 2015). Then he starts filming on "Prometheus 2" (due to hit theatres in 2016). And after that he goes on set for "X-Men: Apocalypse" (spring 2016). I think he can't fit in a filming schedule for "Bond 24".
    --> JARED HARRIS (3 Screen Actors Guild Award nominations): [AVAILABLE]
    Mr Harris just wrapped up filming on Guy Ritchie's "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.". You can also see him in the remake of "Poltergeist", which comes out in summer 2015. But other than that he has no new plans for filming.
    --> MARK STRONG (1 BAFTA nomination): [NOT TOO BUSY]
    Mark Strong recently wrapped up filming on another 'competitor' of James Bond, the upcoming spy/action movie "Kingsman: The Secret Service". But he is also filming the upcoming comedy "Grimsby" which is set to premiere on 31st of July 2015. So I'm not very sure how he, like Chiwetel Ejiofor, can fit into a Bond 24 filming schedule.

So from this list only Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender really seem to busy. But EON Productions still have a huge list of actors to choose from for the role of Bond villain. And also keep in mind that, like with Javier Bardem, they basically wrote the script by having Javier Bardem in mind as villain. He even received a Spanish version of "Skyfall"'s screenplay to fully prepare himself.

So I expect Barbara and Michael to tailor the screenplay for a specific actor this time around as well. And then the producers have plentiful time to contract one of the above actors for a leading villain role.

And in case we get a full-screen female Bond villain, then perhaps these actresses?
    I kinda like @PanchitoPistoles remark. It would be quite awesome if we have a Rosa Klebb/Red Grant-esque "villainous duo". I wouldn't be surprised of Craig/Mendes got inspired by FRWL and OHMSS for Bond 24 ;-). So which female villain could team up with Dave Bautista?
    --> TILDA SWINTON?
    As visually striking as Grace Jones back in 1985. Already worked with Lea Seydoux and Ralph Fiennes on "The Grand Budapest Hotel".
    --> MARION COTILLARD?
    Muse of director Christopher Nolan. Played the Elektra King-esque villain in "The Dark Knight Rises".
    --> KEIRA KNIGHTLEY?
    Now cast as the wife of Jack Ryan in the American spy franchise "Jack Ryan". "Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit" was a moderate success.
    --> MERYL STREEP?
    Famed character actress. Doesn't shy away of appearing in a commercial blockbuster ("The Devil Wears Prada"). Also terrific in "Doubt".
    --> RACHEL WEISZ?
    Girlfriend of Daniel Craig. Also doesn't shy away for spy movies ("The Bourne Legacy") and played a terrific villain in "Oz The Great And The Powerful".
    --> HELEN MIRREN?
    Already played a British female spy in the new "Red"-franchise, together with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman and John Malkovich. And openly showed her interest in playing a female villain. http://www.mi6-hq.com/news/index?itemid=11026&catid=110&t=mi6&s=news

Also, don't underestimate the "brand recognition" of director Sam Mendes. I think most of the above actresses haven't worked with Mendes yet, and Hollywood loves Mendes. Like with Javier Bardem, it could help in casting such an actress. And, like with Javier Bardem, the screenplay could be written with in mind a certain actress....like the screenplay is 'molded' around a certain actor/actress.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    I adore Idris Elba and would be thrilled with him in a Bond film. Yeah, I could have seen him as Bond himself, but he's such a good actor with real charisma, I'd still be happy for him to be the main villain. Interesting thought. Now I'll have to think of other possible actors ...
    Germanlady wrote: »
    Bad idea IMO, his fans and he probably himself want to see him as Bond (baaad idea) and that would only raise unneccessary "unhappiness"

Nonsense. How many fans does Elba has to begin with? What percentage of his fans do seriously believe he has any chance of playing Bond in the future? Your comment simply doesn't make any sense in any way.
    But I think Idris Elba has his eyes on the Bond role.

Idris Elba has absolutely no chance of playing Bond in the future. Do you know why? Because he is 42 years old already. The first Bond movie with the next actor will be released around 2020. By that time Elba will be 48.

I really wish people stopped this "Elba has a chance to be the next Bond" nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I think he is an excellent actor and I would be very happy with him playing the villain in Bond 24 but there is NO WAY he will ever play James Bond.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Her opinion is fine, she's just stating her take on it - I think others rather think that too.

Idris is too old to be considered for the next Bond; even his strongest fans probably realize that. But for me he is wonderful and I'd just enjoy him in a Bond film - ally or villain.

Idris Elba has absolutely no chance of playing Bond in the future. Do you know why? Because he is 42 years old already. The first Bond movie with the next actor will be released around 2020. By that time Elba will be 48.

I really wish people stopped this "Elba has a chance to be the next Bond" nonsense. Don't get me wrong, I think he is an excellent actor and I would be very happy with him playing the villain in Bond 24 but there is NO WAY he will ever play James Bond.

In all honesty, I think there's no way that Barbara & Michael will release Daniel Craig after his 5th Bond film. I can imagine that they will pay Craig a shit load of money to do a 6th. And in all honesty, I WANT Daniel Craig to do a 6th, like Connery. Let people fantasize about who's going to fill his footsteps after he retires. But that will be after 2021, when Craig's 6th outing as Bond hits cinemas (Bond 25 I guess will premiere on November 2018).

On top of that...look at Tom Cruise. He's even older than Craig and he still rocks as Ethan Hunt. Moreover, we need to get used to 3-year gaps between Bond films. Considering the fact that EON wants to take their time to make a high-quality Bond film.....and not a formularic one like those entries from the 1990's.
    I never said Idris Elba should be Bond I said he would like to be Bond. All this negative response. Like Daniel never had any Bond fans think he was miscast..... oh wait...

I think Idris Elba is great actor with lots of charisma.
    I never said Idris Elba should be Bond I said he would like to be Bond.

He is more than likely completely aware of the fact that he will never play Bond.
  • RC7RC7
    edited October 2014 Posts: 10,512
    Moreover, we need to get used to 3-year gaps between Bond films. Considering the fact that EON wants to take their time to make a high-quality Bond film.....and not a formularic one like those entries from the 1990's.

While it's more likely than not they'll continue on a three year cycle, they could quite easily get a production out in two. It really depends on when and if they can lock down the key players. The Mendes debacle is the key reason we're not avidly discussing the new entry right now.

While they absolutely shouldn't rush, there's only so long a movie can gestate before creative talent becomes weary and a little bored with the process. Reading between the lines I wouldn't be surprised if this is what happened with Logan.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited October 2014 Posts: 11,139
    Elba wants to be Bond? That's news to me and news to him, seeing as he himself stated that if he would become Bond he'd be known as the black James Bond and that's a moniker he has no interest in lining up behind. Those were his words; paraphrased of course. Also, Elba is definitely a great and charismatic actor but the two glaring realities that are stopping points are, his age, he's not young enough to be a Bond successor and secondly, no matter how many people may champion the idea and I say this as a black guy myself, we won't be seeing a black Bond any time soon and that's something I'd bet my life on. Make him a villain or an ally, he'll be great in any capacity, he'd even make a great Bond if circumstances were different but the reality is Idris Elba will NEVER EVER be cast as James Bond in an Eon production.
    Isn't there a thread dedicated to the "Black Bond" topic (which btw IS A RIDICULOUS AND ABSURD IDEA IN ITSELF!!!)?

In all honesty, I think there's no way that Barbara & Michael will release Daniel Craig after his 5th Bond film. I can imagine that they will pay Craig a shit load of money to do a 6th. And in all honesty, I WANT Daniel Craig to do a 6th, like Connery. Let people fantasize about who's going to fill his footsteps after he retires. But that will be after 2021, when Craig's 6th outing as Bond hits cinemas (Bond 25 I guess will premiere on November 2018).

On top of that...look at Tom Cruise. He's even older than Craig and he still rocks as Ethan Hunt. Moreover, we need to get used to 3-year gaps between Bond films. Considering the fact that EON wants to take their time to make a high-quality Bond film.....and not a formularic one like those entries from the 1990's.

Yeah, but Cruise also looks about 10 years younger than Craig!
    About this quality issue - well, all those years they had extra for SF resulted in the WORST ( = illogical ) script the franchise ever had, so I see this argument of yours as a case of non sequitur.
    Matt_Helm wrote: »

About this quality issue - well, all those years they had extra for SF resulted in the WORST ( = illogical ) script the franchise ever had, so I see this argument of yours as a case of non sequitur.

Wow wow, easy now. These are sheer hyperboles from your end if I may say so. A screenplay consists of several elements: Dialogue that enhances the roles, the characters and the overall plot. Now I agree with reluctance that SF had a "shitload of plotholes" like so many point this out with nuances. But how...."illogical" the screenplay may work out, the screenplay worked perfectly on the elements of characterization and drama.

Secondly, Mr Craig looks like an old twat nowadays? Well, most likely this ordinary Brit doesn't visit plastic surgeons in Hollywood like Mr Cruise is doing. Anyway, that's besides the point. Mr Craig is physically more fit than Mr Moore and Mr Brosnan (look at Brosnan's absence of ANY 6-pack in DAD) at their age. I think that's what should count.

Mr Moore looked old in AVTAK yes, but then he didn't do a shit of stunts by himself. And Craig hasn't arrived to that age yet.

Craig needs to stay, regardless of wrinkles.
    Germanlady wrote: »

I'm a fan and do not want him as Bond. As a Bond villain on the other hand, he would be great. I think he's a far better choice than tjene soft looking Ejiofor.
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 2,015
    All this negative response. Like Daniel never had any Bond fans think he was miscast..... oh wait...

Or, more recently, like when several people said that the rumor of Lea Seydoux in Bond 24 was a hoax :) You arrived on the forum after that, but when Schmoes Know said they had a reliable source about her casting, some would-be experts here "proved" it was nonsense.

We'll probably never know half of what happened really in the preproduction of past Bond movies, and some seem to think they know already what's happening in the preproduction of the next one ! Just hearing here the French actors who had a part in a Bond movie, or went to the casting of a Bond movie and were not cast, already produce some anecdotes that are nowhere to be found in the Bond litterature. I expect in a few years Lea Seydoux to talk very freely about what it was to play with Cruise, Craig, etc.. :) She already caused quite a stir while talking about what happened on the shooting of La Vie d'Adele !
  • edited October 2014 Posts: 908
    Matt_Helm wrote: »

Wow wow, easy now. These are sheer hyperboles from your end if I may say so. A screenplay consists of several elements: Dialogue that enhances the roles, the characters and the overall plot. Now I agree with reluctance that SF had a "shitload of plotholes" like so many point this out with nuances. But how...."illogical" the screenplay may work out, the screenplay worked perfectly on the elements of characterization and drama.

Secondly, Mr Craig looks like an old twat nowadays? Well, most likely this ordinary Brit doesn't visit plastic surgeons in Hollywood like Mr Cruise is doing. Anyway, that's besides the point. Mr Craig is physically more fit than Mr Moore and Mr Brosnan (look at Brosnan's absence of ANY 6-pack in DAD) at their age. I think that's what should count.

Mr Moore looked old in AVTAK yes, but then he didn't do a shit of stunts by himself. And Craig hasn't arrived to that age yet.

Craig needs to stay, regardless of wrinkles.

A good script develops a "natural" flow to reach its conclusion and doesn't bend every event in the story towards the means it wants to achieve. Besides, I'm still at loss about that character arch Bond is supposed to have during SF. A little whining about some unsolved mummy issues doesn't make the cut in my book.
    Regarding the age thing - well, according to a teen boy living in my house (with which I had some chat while standing in line at the supermarket ) Ethan Hunt is quite mega cool to him and his girlfriend, while Bond is kind of an old bag to them. Considering,that the lions share of box office results is achieved by folks under 25 this certainly is something to consider for producers.
    Then probably all those people who went to see SF and in total spent 1.1 Billion dollar worldwide, thought James Bond was "an old bag". I'm not going to use my friend's opinions as a fact for arguments sake though.
    All this negative response. Like Daniel never had any Bond fans think he was miscast..... oh wait...

Or, more recently, like when several people said that the rumor of Lea Seydoux in Bond 24 was a hoax :) You arrived on the forum after that, but when Schmoes Know said they had a reliable source about her casting, some would-be experts here "proved" it was nonsense.

We'll probably never know half of what happened really in the preproduction of past Bond movies, and some seem to think they know already what's happening in the preproduction of the next one ! Just hearing here the French actors who had a part in a Bond movie, or went to the casting of a Bond movie and were not cast, already produce some anecdotes that are nowhere to be found in the Bond litterature. I expect in a few years Lea Seydoux to talk very freely about what it was to play with Cruise, Craig, etc.. :) She already caused quite a stir while talking about what happened on the shooting of La Vie d'Adele !
    Well I have been lurking here for a while and then registered to post that Léa said "non!" to the Bond rumours on The Edit magazine. It was the first time she had been asked about the Bond rumours so I posted to say that the Léa is not the Bond Girl. But.....a few days later Baz confirmed it. Then Sony confirmed to the French and Italian JB clubs.

I do not think Léa would say anything bad about filming with Cruise or Bond because the director is not Abdellatif Kechiche! I think Léa was right to speak out about the director as he wanted it to look real and made Léa repeatedly slap poor Adèle who also cut her hand on a door. She was bleeding everywhere but the director made Adèle carry on with the scene. Léa said of this, (if this would have been filmed) 'In America, we’d all be in jail'. This is getting OT but if anyone wants to read the article that started the whole polemique/war of words on the director The Daily Beast
    Anyway guys! I NEED MORE BOND NEWS! GIVE ME THE ENTIRE SCREENPLAY for goodness sake :-&
    I NEED MORE BOND NEWS!

I am more than happy to make up some Bond 24 news for you:

- the title is officially COLONEL SUN
    - Idris Elba has been cast to play the main villain of Bond 24
    - EMILY BLUNT is set to play the new Bond girl
    - the release date has been delayed by a month to allow Sam Mendes more time to fulfil his vision
    - Bond 24 will shoot in Austria, Italy (including Rome), London and Malta (Morocco has been scrapped!)
    - Mark Strong is set to play a childhood friend of Bond
    - Thomas Newman and David Arnold join forces to compose the score of Bond 24!!!
    - Bond 24 will be the first Bond movie ever to be partially shot with IMAX cameras
    - Sam Mendes promises radical departure from the Bond formula

:bz :bz :bz