How would you feel if a black JAMES BOND was cast?

Comments

• DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited May 2011 Posts: 15,690
    So what if Bond was cast black or Asian ?
    So you are not a Bond fan. If you don't care about a take on Bond that contradicts every aspect of the character, I don't see how you can be called a Bond fan. You would simply accept EON destroying the character.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    So what if Bond was cast black or Asian?
    It simply wouldn't be Bond anymore.

• edited May 2011 Posts: 2,782
    We can always have a wigga -
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I feel this discussion is coming to the end of it's natural lifespan...until the next time that is ;-)
    I did try to speed the process up a bit.
  • SeveSeve The island of Lemoy
    a black Bond? it will never happen

however leaving aside the whole physical appearance issue, which is obvious
    or the accent, which could be overlooked, provided it was an "Ivy League" American accent, rather than a strong regional variant
    I think the hardest thing for any American star, black or white, to overcome, if they were to attempt to play a James Bond who was true to the character, would be to eliminate certain fundamental American characteristics mannerisms
    namely "cockiness" and "talkativeness"
    there is an overt swagger about the body language and attitude of American action stars which is less common among European action stars (although Arnie was a European, he has always been an "Americophile" at heart)
    from James Cagney to Burt Lancaster to Kirk Douglas to Paul Newman to Tom Cruise to George Clooney
    a confidence bordering on over confidence, often referred to as "brashness" is an integral part of the American self image which I'm not trying to denigrate, but it's at odds with the very British set of personality traits which Bond should embody
    Barry Nelson played an American Bond, but he was appropriately referred to as "Jimmy" Bond not "James" Bond, as the change in name sign posted the cultural difference

televised Poker has offers an extreme illustration of this cultural difference
    most European games are played largely in an atmosphere of tense quiet, with only the odd comment
    whereas American poker is full of characters who try to psych out their opposition verbally, rather than relying on skill or luck with the cards themselves
    they try to provoke a injudicious reaction that will provide a "tell" or precipitate rash decision
    other American sports to is full of trash talk that is the rule rather than the exception

IMO these attributes probably has an even greater emphasis in American black culture
    the persona's projected by the likes of Will Smith, Jamie Fox, Eddie Murphy, Wesley Snipes, Sam Jackson et al are completely out of synch with what is expected from someone playing James Bond
    from that stand point only Denzel Washington has the required quiet demeanour, but IMO he also projects an inherent "niceness" that hard to overlook, even though he tried his hand at a number of villainous roles in recent years
    in his day Sidney Poitier is probably as close as any black American actor has come to being suitable
    as far as current white American actors go, Matt Damon generally plays against the stereotype of an American, but I've never seen him project the calm self confidence or urbanity required

so it would have to be a black British actor I suppose and I have to admit I'm not familiar with many and those I've seen aren't quite right
    of course it's all relative and I may notice this distinction more because New Zealanders traditionally feel a closer affinity to the UK in terms of behavioural norms than we do to America
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    @Seve How about a black British actor, not a black American actor ?
    I can answer that. No. ;;)

Why change Bond, when they in fact need to change so much else? (Bond girls, M's attitude towards Bond...)
    Ali G?

• St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    Ali G?

Hmmm, a Jewish James Bond? Oy vey...! ;)
  • doubleonothingdoubleonothing Los Angeles Moderator
    I'd be delighted.

It'd give all the fanboys something to be vehemently annoyed about for another 10 years.

You could have him declare he'd given up Martinis to keep his edge, just to really wind 'em up.

I don't know how many threads we had on this over at KTBEU. It was probably more than 5. Honestly, of all the lamented lost threads, the "what would you think if they cast a black/gay/ Bond?" are probably not the ones I was hoping to see resurrected here.
    I can answer that. No. ;;)

Why change Bond, when they in fact need to change so much else? (Bond girls, M's attitude towards Bond...)
    Dimi, I am of course against a Black Bond. But I was simply asking why Seve was talking about the problem with (black) American actors, while there are black British actors. I was just wondering if Seve was also against black British actors.
    So a lot of folks here are using the argument that Fleming intended Bond to be white. He also specified that Bond has very dark hair and so far we've had TWO actors with light hair with plenty fans liking one or the other (or both).
    And Fleming usually describes Bond's skin being TANNED.
    Yawn. James Bond is not meant to be Black, Asian, or what not. if you want a world-wide popular spy/action franchise with a Black/Asian lead character, start up your own franchise with a new character, don't destroy an existing one.

You don't just take a world-wide famous character and turn him black. That is the most unoriginal and pathetic idea you can make, as it shows you just don't have enough imagination and creativity to create your own character.

I do not see how anyone calling himself/herself a Bond fan can be favorable to a vision of James Bond that is contradictory to every aspect of the character.
    So a lot of folks here are using the argument that Fleming intended Bond to be white. He also specified that Bond has very dark hair and so far we've had TWO actors with light hair with plenty fans liking one or the other (or both).
    And Fleming usually describes Bond's skin being TANNED.
    Hair colour versus skin colour does mean something. Hair colour isn't as obvious an ethnicity characteristic as skin colour. Bond must descent from older British families, it's how Fleming wrote it and it's who Fleming himself was. A black Bond rules that out.
    Let's just say that if they found the right actor to play the part, if he was black or white, gay or straight, if he really nailed the part then I'd be fine with it. It's more about the intrinsic elements of his personality that matter most to me.

I think this is why many people have an issue with it. It is less about race than it is about character. Bond is the product of a certain upbringing and background. I'm not saying you can't be black and from that background, just that it is more the exception than the rule. I'm not condoning this, merely pointing out a particular truth.

However, if they could find an actor that could sell the fact that he's from a certain background and of a certain political disposition, then I'd be okay with it, I guess.

I'd prefer a white actor, just because I believe that's who Bond is, just as I wouldn't want a black Sherlock Holmes or a white guy playing Dr. King.

Why do we have to entertain the idea, anyway? Is it out of some kind of need to satisfy equality or be PC? Surely, there are roles that are meant to be racially distinct? Can't we have that anymore, or will someone throw up their arms and declare it racist?

Like I said, if they got a fantastic actor to play the part, then fine. But it would be a long way from Fleming's hero, just by definition. I'd not hate it, but I think I'd be disappointed. Not because the actor was black, but because society is so bloody scared of offending anyone these days that poor decisions are made to appease a minority. And I'm not talking about a black minority. I'm talking about a hardcore of bleedingheart extreme PC liberals who believe that black people or other ethnic groups "might" be offended.

When that small group has enough power and influence to turn James Bond black, then I'll be very sad. I won't be sad because we have a black Bond, but because idiots will have succeeded in messing up something that really isn't broken.

I honestly wonder if this is an issue for black people. Are they slighted and offended that Bond has never been black? I doubt it. I really wonder at the motivations of people who suggest that it would be a good idea in the first place.
    WHITE SHAFT! Can ya dig it?
    edited May 2011 Posts: 357

Dimi, I am of course against a Black Bond. But I was simply asking why Seve was talking about the problem with (black) American actors, while there are black British actors. I was just wondering if Seve was also against black British actors.
    basically when I saw the topic all the famous black actors that came to mind were American and it wasn't till I'd finished writing that it suddenly occurred to me that you could use a black british actor... what a revelation! (sorry, I must have had a hard week...)
    however, as I said, I haven't seen many black British actors in action, and those I have seen weren't right for the part IMO
    although I'd be interested to hear about any suggestion

the topic is just something to kick around, like discussing actors from the pre Bond era who might have played the part well
    I don't think it will ever happen, or should ever happen
    although I'm sure there will certainly be Bond-like black action hero's, like the original Shaft and Jim Kelly in the 70s
    just as there is Undercover Brother to Austin Powers

I don't know how many threads we had on this over at KTBEU. It was probably more than 5. Honestly, of all the lamented lost threads, the "what would you think if they cast a black/gay/ Bond?" are probably not the ones I was hoping to see resurrected here.
    I know you were hoping I would revive the architecture thread
    (only kidding)
    ;-)
    PS and I agree with everything in your second longer post

I know you were hoping I would revive the architecture thread
    (only kidding)
    ;-)
    Ah, good times!
    ;-)
    So what if Bond was cast black or Asian ?
    So you are not a Bond fan. If you don't care about a take on Bond that contradicts every aspect of the character, I don't see how you can be called a Bond fan. You would simply accept EON destroying the character.
    So what if Bond was cast black or Asian?
    It simply wouldn't be Bond anymore.

You 2 don't know what I'm saying. I'm Bond Fan & always will had been. Everybody no matter what skin they are. What Jeffrey Wrights as Felix Liether & Bernie Casey as Felix Liether in . I not calling anyone racist alright so get your fact about me. Or I start a thread about other character cast as Black or Asian. How about that?

James Bond is a racially distinct character. He is white and British. Anything different than that, and it is no longer a James Bond film.

Either you create a new character and start up a new franchise, or you forget this incredibly stupid idea of a Black James Bond.
    I think all the secondary characters, even M, Q or moneypenny could be of any descent, as long as they are British. However the character of James Bond should always be a white British male.
    edited May 2011 Posts: 357
    James Bond is a racially distinct character. He is white and British. Anything different than that, and it is no longer a James Bond film.

Either you create a new character and start up a new franchise, or you forget this incredibly stupid idea of a Black James Bond.
    I'm sure he was pure English when Fleming first conceived of him
    then he became Scottish to accomodate Conery's immovable accent
    and then a final twist was added by making him half Swiss-French...

but what they didn't tell you was that his mother was a Swiss-French-Creole!!!
    (decended from an imported Dominican barmaid)

>-)
    how about a white actor playing Martin Luther King? or a white actor playing Malcolm X? or a white actor playing shaft? or a white actor playing Michael Jordan?

...point is bond is a British white guy, always has been and always will be. I can't even stand talking about a black bond, it literally makes me want to puke.
    BOND IS WHITE AND BRITISH - LEAVE IT ALONE ~X(
    The discussion that just will not die. /:)
    This discussion has been going on for ages it seems but the logic is totally lost. We're basically asking whether an orange can be the stand-in for an apple. It can happen, if we're in some experimental, pseudo-artistic rage producing a mockumentary, a parody or something only two people in the whole world can claim to understand. As long as the Bonds pursue a normal coarse, however, it is wrong to change Bond's gender, race, sexual orientation, ... I'm fairly confident they won't try. It would be too big a commercial risk.
  • edited May 2012 Posts: 2
    So far nobody has really stated a legitimate reason as to why he couldn't be. Comic book characters races have changed so why can't Bonds'? Idris Elba (who is English by the way and is 39 currently) could play the character and do a fine job with it. Sure some characters like Indiana Jones can't played by a non-white actor because his films are period pieces but the James Bond films are not; therefore there is absolutely no reason why a Black actor could not play him.
    Jazz007 wrote:
    Change his race, and you change the entire character and story - he becomes a completely different character with a different kind of upbringing, heritage, and walk of life that got him where he is.

I know he's a different kind of character but The Doctor from Doctor Who has been portrayed by eleven different actors all of whom were White. That doesn't mean he can't be a woman of another race or a man of another race. Bond can change. There is absolutely nothing that says he can't.

Sorry for the way this post looks. I'm new to this particular forum. I'm not quite sure how to get my text to not appear as part of your quote.
    So far nobody has really stated a legitimate reason as to why he couldn't be. Comic book characters races have changed so why can't Bonds'? Idris Elba (who is English by the way and is 39 currently) could play the character and do a fine job with it. Sure some characters like Indiana Jones can't played by a non-white actor because his films are period pieces but the James Bond films are not; therefore there is absolutely no reason why a Black actor could not play him.

But by the same token, Indiana Jones wasn't based on books and technically can't be played by anyone but Ford for he virtually created the character. Bond, however, was ripped from Fleming's pages and through the latter's writings carries an entire template that cannot be deviated from unless we'd be prepared to commit an act of blasphemy.

DarthDimi wrote:

But by the same token, Indiana Jones wasn't based on books and technically can't be played by anyone but Ford for he virtually created the character. Bond, however, was ripped from Fleming's pages and through the latter's writings carries an entire template that cannot be deviated from unless we'd be prepared to commit an act of blasphemy.

amen...
This discussion has been closed.