Your first Bond Movie/Bond actor: Is it/he your favorite? Has your opinion changed?

2»

Comments

• Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    First Bond I saw in theaters was Brosnan, with DAD. Funny: I liked that movie in theaters and can't really stand it now.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    First Bond I saw in theaters was Brosnan, with DAD. Funny: I liked that movie in theaters and can't really stand it now.

I won't say I can't stand it now but at least I somewhat relate to your sentiment. In the theatre all the noise and flashes paralysed my brain. The small-screen experience though opened my eyes and made me realise DAD is little more than one big cut scene from a video game. That said, there are moments when I can enjoy the film.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    DarthDimi wrote:
    That said, there are moments when I can enjoy the film.

There are certainly enjoyable moments. The PTS was great (aside from the surfing at the beginning). I loved the fencing scene at Blades (apart from Madonna's cameo, but at least she looked good and got away quickly). Other than Graves', Bond's, Frost's and Jinx's lame dialogue, the end sequence on the plane was awesome.
    I like the surfing in the PTS. At least that was a real stunt backed up by David Arnold's energetic score.
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    i feel sorry for the kids who grew up on brossa, the cardboard bond.

I bet the Connery kids said the same thing about people who grew up with Moore. It matters not. The Brosnans were the first I watched in the theatre but I had already watched most of the other Bonds on video or TV prior to seeing GE in '95. That said, had GE been my first Bond ever, I wouldn't have been a different Bond fan today.

i am sure the connery kids thought that but my view is that all the Bonds brought something valuable to the role APART from Brossa, who was simply awful. i can give plenty of arguments to back my case but that's another thread.

• edited December 2011 Posts: 11,189
    Getafix wrote:
    DarthDimi wrote:
    Getafix wrote:
    i feel sorry for the kids who grew up on brossa, the cardboard bond.

I bet the Connery kids said the same thing about people who grew up with Moore. It matters not. The Brosnans were the first I watched in the theatre but I had already watched most of the other Bonds on video or TV prior to seeing GE in '95. That said, had GE been my first Bond ever, I wouldn't have been a different Bond fan today.

i am sure the connery kids thought that but my view is that all the Bonds brought something valuable to the role APART from Brossa, who was simply awful. i can give plenty of arguments to back my case but that's another thread.

Look, thats simply YOUR view. I'm not saying I think he's the best but he made A LOT of people happy. Connery was even apparently quoted as saying he liked Brozza more than Dalts - or at least something along those lines.

"Timothy Dalton had Shakespeare training but he underestimated the role...Pierce Brosnan's a good actor, he's added new elements".

You don't believe me look it up.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [Look, thats simply YOUR view. I'm not saying I think he's the best but he made A LOT of people happy. Connery was even apparently quoted as saying he liked Brozza more than Dalts - or at least something along those lines.

Sir Rog went even further during the GE premiere, when he said 'Sean and I will be forgotten once people will see Pierce.'
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [Look, thats simply YOUR view. I'm not saying I think he's the best but he made A LOT of people happy. Connery was even apparently quoted as saying he liked Brozza more than Dalts - or at least something along those lines.

Sir Rog went even further during the GE premiere, when he said 'Sean and I will be forgotten once people will see Pierce.'

See? Even former Bonds think Pierce Brosnan is awesome! If Roger Moore said it, you know it's true!
    Moore also said he thought DAD went too far. He didn't attribute that to Brozza though for all I know. When Moore says that you're in trouble.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Moore also said he thought DAD went too far. He didn't attribute that to Brozza though for all I know. When Moore says that you're in trouble.

Hahaha! Indeed.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    00Beast wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

See? Even former Bonds think Pierce Brosnan is awesome! If Roger Moore said it, you know it's true!

That was before TND, TWINE, and DAD came. Now, Sean is wanted more than ever by his loyal fans.
    Yeah, as time went on, people wanted Brosnan to go away. I thought he was okay, but I grew up with his films. I don't hate him, but I've found far better Bonds since seeing my first Brosnan film (which was TWINE on VHS).
    The first Bond I saw was Timothy Dalton in TLD. He's also my favourite Bond. I went through a phase as a big Connery supporter, but that changed almost fifteen years ago when I started reading the novels and got more in-depth with the films.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited December 2011 Posts: 15,690
    Yeah, as time went on, people wanted Brosnan to go away.

Actually, not true. If the old 'MI6Forums' still existed, and you read posts from 2002-2003, right after DAD got released, you'd see 90% of members wanted Brosnan back for Bond 21... even those who didn't like DAD at the time wanted him back...
    We only wanted him back because we felt sorry for him. Didn't want to see him go out on such a shoddy film.
    Yeah, as time went on, people wanted Brosnan to go away.

Actually, not true. If the old 'MI6Forums' still existed, and you read posts from 2002-2003, right after DAD got released, you'd see 90% of members wanted Brosnan back for Bond 21... even those who didn't like DAD at the time wanted him back...

I can believe that. Understand this: I'm speaking in hindsight. Back in 2002-2005, most people that I talked to in reality (not online) wanted Brosnan back (a lot wanted Everything or Nothing to be released in theaters, which might have been interesting). Back then, I wasn't in Bond forums (the few I knew of sucked ass... and I'd never heard of this site or any precursor to it), so my conversations were limited to real people.
  • edited December 2011 Posts: 11,425
    BAIN123 wrote:

it's called being polite. rog is a gent and would never publicly slate another actor, especially a first tme bond appearane. it doesnt change the fact that brossa sucked.

watch this if u need convincing. i agree with all of it:

http://haphazardstuff.com/TheBrosnanAgeGoldenEye.html

this guy has done commentaries for most of the films in the series and is pretty impressive.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @Murdock, I couldn't agree more.

My mom picked up GE on VHS for me when I was eight or nine years old. Any free chance I had, I would watch it, rewind it, watch it, rewind it. Brosnan will always be my favorite, and GE will always be my favorite. Sure, I have a bunch of others, such as CR, GF, FYEO, etc., but it just doesn't matter how good they are, I can never beat the enjoyment I have when I watch GE.
    Creasy47 wrote:

My mom picked up GE on VHS for me when I was eight or nine years old. Any free chance I had, I would watch it, rewind it, watch it, rewind it. Brosnan will always be my favorite, and GE will always be my favorite. Sure, I have a bunch of others, such as CR, GF, FYEO, etc., but it just doesn't matter how good they are, I can never beat the enjoyment I have when I watch GE.

Agreed to the full! Good to hear from you Creasy!
    Creasy47 wrote:

Watch the link I posted above. Hopefully it will cure you.
    Getafix wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Who the hell are you to say they should be "cured"? If they enjoy the film then let them.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Getafix wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Oh look, shadow Jr.
    Agent005 wrote:
    We only wanted him back because we felt sorry for him. Didn't want to see him go out on such a shoddy film.

That's not true either. Now we recognise DAD is bad but, at the time, I remember its reception being fairly positive both critically and financially. Many people were sorry to see him go.

I can believe that. Understand this: I'm speaking in hindsight. Back in 2002-2005, most people that I talked to in reality (not online) wanted Brosnan back (a lot wanted Everything or Nothing to be released in theaters, which might have been interesting). Back then, I wasn't in Bond forums (the few I knew of sucked ass... and I'd never heard of this site or any precursor to it), so my conversations were limited to real people.[/quote]

Yeah "real people" being the key phrase.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Getafix wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

That link provides weak support for your case, my friend.

Concerning the curing part, as a mod I'd like to *cure* you from your sometimes very direct language by suggesting, in a polite manner, that you check out the terms and conditions of this forum.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Agent005 wrote:

That's not true either. Now we recognise DAD is bad but, at the time, I remember its reception being fairly positive both critically and financially. Many people were sorry to see him go.

I can believe that. Understand this: I'm speaking in hindsight. Back in 2002-2005, most people that I talked to in reality (not online) wanted Brosnan back (a lot wanted Everything or Nothing to be released in theaters, which might have been interesting). Back then, I wasn't in Bond forums (the few I knew of sucked ass... and I'd never heard of this site or any precursor to it), so my conversations were limited to real people.[/quote]

Yeah "real people" being the key phrase.

What are you hinting at? I do actually talk to real people.
    I know, as do I (kind of) but we are a collective, comparitively small community. That was my point.
    Oh.
    Getafix wrote:
    Creasy47 wrote:

Oh look, shadow Jr.

Hahahaha! Indeed Brady, indeed. Who is he to say that someone should be cured from their favorite Bond movie? That is taking things much too far!
This discussion has been closed.