Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

That would be great! And on top of that, I'd also like to see Michael Caine back as Harry Palmer for the 60th anniversary of The Ipcress File. Maybe have EON produce it?
    That would be great! And on top of that, I'd also like to see Michael Caine back as Harry Palmer for the 60th anniversary of The Ipcress File. Maybe have EON produce it?

Now THAT would be something. And quite feasible, as Caine is in top form.
    Univex wrote: »

Now THAT would be something. And quite feasible, as Caine is in top form.

He's quite busy, that's for sure. Would be great if another Harry Palmer film could be added to his schedule. I sure wonder how a 80-something Harry Palmer would be like!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited June 2019 Posts: 13,894
    It wasn t just for DAF that they sought an American Bond. For LALD Burt Reynolds was approached again, as well as Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

It was Cubby who insisted that Bond should be British. Of the ones we know screen tested for LALD before Moore got the part, namely Jeremy Brett, David Warbeck and Julian Glover-who do you think would have been the best fit? I think maybe Warbeck.

One thing is sure, none of them could have matched Moore s iconic status.

I don't think Warbeck screen tested for LALD. I dug out his book again, and have it in front of me now. He says outright that he was contracted to be the Bond...

Page 24, collum 2:

"But it's ironic that I was actually contracted to be the new Bond and my director was to be Johnny Hough, because I had chats with Brocolli and said no, I didn't want to work with John Glen.[snip]"

I think Warbeck would have made a more rugged, though still charismatic Bond for the 70's & 80's.

https://www.007.com/focus-week-live-let-die/

http://www.alternative007.co.uk/295.htm

Interesting. I had read that he was paid to be a standby in the event of Moore dropping out, somewhere before. If he screentested for LALD and FYEO, there could be truth to that.
    I don't think Warbeck screen tested for LALD. I dug out his book again, and have it in front of me now. He says outright that he was contracted to be the Bond...

There are one or two claims around the net that despite being married Warbeck was gay or maybe bisexual. I was wondering if there are any clues regarding his sexuality in his book. If true, I also wonder if Cubby had an inkling and maybe it affected his chances of becoming Bond.

As for who was the best of the LALD candidates, it's got to be Michael Billington for me.

Yeah, i've seen the odd comment on one forum or another. Usually John Steiner's name is mentioned in relation to Warbeck. Personally, I don't think there is any "proof" either way. Though someone else reading, may read something more into the (theatrical?) way he comes across.

I don't get the impression that his sexuality was what scuppered his chances. Warbeck describes the kind of humour he wanted to bring to Bond (describing the scene at Shrublands with Bond on the phone from TB), when he talked to Glen about the humour, Glen had other ideas. This on top of Warbeck wanting Johnny Hough to direct his first Bond (Warbeck was directed by Hough in a Robin Hood pilot), while Cubby was dead set on Glen to direct FYEO.
    The backstory to all the actors that 'almost' became Bond would have made for a great Bond documentary:

Almost Bond - the definitive story.

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    The backstory to all the actors that 'almost' became Bond would have made for a great Bond documentary:

One of my “ Holy Grails” of Bond is to see all of the actual screentest
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think Bond has to played looser after Craig leaves. I think the character is taken too seriously in the modern films, and the films themselves are too po-faced and concerned with realism. Its been a long time since we had a Bond that looked like they were having enjoying themselves, or satisfied by the life, not constantly beaten and searching for purpose. I want a Bond who enjoys the adventures he goes on, and is comfortable in his own skin.

I think Aidan Turner is perfect because he has all the danger of secret agent and someone with a dark history, but also has a charm and charisma to him which is the missing element nowadays. He is also "man enough" for the role, easily portraying the raw qualities which others such as hoult lack. Some view Turner as a part of the "pretty boy" brigade which has been touted as of late, but in my eyes this is the most offbase of his criticisms. Turner is a pure alpha male, as demonstrated by the roles he takes on. I think the appeal of turner is that he would have that edge which Bond is expected to have, but it is inherent to his look and demeanour.
    Hemsworth as bond is my 4th choice but I would be fine with him
    talos7 wrote: »
    fanbond123 wrote: »

One of my “ Holy Grails” of Bond is to see all of the actual screentest

Wouldn't that be glorious ;)
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Not Turner.
    Yes Turner ;)
    Yes Turner ;)

+1
    talos7 wrote: »
    Yes Turner ;)

+1

1461148441-aidan-turner-and-then-there-were-none.gif
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    yOZEk9J.gif
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 6,677
    We're due for a CR67 revival, sort of a clash of the Bonds reunion ;)

BTW, every time I see Cavill, I find him childlike in his facial features. Strange, eh?
    At this stage there have been more Batman actors in the movies than Bond actors. I can't imagine the hype that will come from there being a new guy in the Tux for the first time since 2006. It just doesn't happen nowadays. Roles are recast in a heartbeat, just look at how many different Jokers we are getting now, or Spider-Men.

But whoever it is, they need to be the opposite of Craig I feel, and enter through the door marked Comedy. Everytime someone new comes in, the franchise has to transform itself to accommodate them. During the Brosnan era the idea of a serious, brooding portrayal was unfathamable - but it was what was needed in the end. I think we are in a reverse situation where they need to loosen up and get back to light-hearted popcorn fun.

Just looking at it Henry Cahill and Aidan Turner would appear to be about the right age to take over from Craig. Both currently 35, by the time Bond 26 gets rolling in 2023/24 they will be hitting the forty year old mark which is old enough to be taken seriously in the role, but still have a spring in the step. I think those are perhaps the frontrunners.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Cavill, Turner and Hemsworth are all the same age, born in 1983.
    If you want a complete change and an actor able to display the comedic elements, then look no further than Chris Hemsworth.
    I would like to see an actor take on the role for three films - four films tops if he's a massive hit as Bond. That would hopefully leave us wanting more, and the actor won't hang on to the role for too long.
    At least it will not be Pattinsen now.
    RogueAgent wrote: »

=D>
    Thought of that as well, and I rejoiced. Good thing I'm a Bond fan and not a Batman fan. I like the dark knight, just not at the same level, not by a long shot.
  • OOWolfOOWolf Savannah
    http://scottadkinsworld.com/scottadkinsjamesbondphotoshoot/

Honestly, I think Scott Adkins could make a great Bond. He's not too well known, which is good, he's a martial artist, fit, English, looks the part and has even played in some pretty good action flicks. He even did a Bond inspired photoshoot some years back. I posted the link above.
    OOWolf wrote: »
    http://scottadkinsworld.com/scottadkinsjamesbondphotoshoot/

Honestly, I think Scott Adkins could make a great Bond. He's not too well known, which is good, he's a martial artist, fit, English, looks the part and has even played in some pretty good action flicks. He even did a Bond inspired photoshoot some years back. I posted the link above.
    He does look very British there, gotta give him that. And very old School in a very positive way. He could as well be a 30s sleuth in those Fotos. Very nice indeed. I haven´t seen enough of his acting to say more.

edited June 2019 Posts: 8,110

Pattinsen will be in Next Christopher Nolan movie. Seems like he is positioned to become a permier leading man of the 2020's.

So I would count him out just yet.

But I think Aidan Turner, or Henry Cavill, or Tom Hardy are the most like options for right now.

Ofcourse alot depends on how long the gap between 25 and 26 lasts. Is November 2024 a good estimate?
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 15,818

Pattinsen will be in Next Christopher Nolan movie. Seems like he is positioned to become a permier leading man of the 2020's.

But I think Aidan Turner, or Henry Cavill, or Tom Hardy are the most like options for right now.

Ofcourse alot depends on how long the gap between 25 and 26 lasts. Is November 2024 a good estimate?

I firmly maintain the belief that B25 will be the one Bond film released during the 2020's. My guess is 2032 for B26, in time for the series' 70th anniversary.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I firmly maintain the belief that B25 will be the one Bond film released during the 2020's. My guess is 2032 for B26, in time for the series' 70th anniversary.

Since the copyright expires at the end of 2034, I expect them to sell way ahead of that. The closer to that date they get, the less they will be able to ask for those rights. They would still be very valuable now, but in another ten years time, nobody is going to pay a cent.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Since the copyright expires at the end of 2034, I expect them to sell way ahead of that. The closer to that date they get, the less they will be able to ask for those rights. They would still be very valuable now, but in another ten years time, nobody is going to pay a cent.

Very good point. I hope B25 is a major success and kick-starts the franchise for future outings the way GE did, and we get several more films before the copyright expiration.
    edited June 2019 Posts: 8,110
    Interesting, so this would put more weight to the idea that this could be the last Bond film from EON productions?
    If this is the end of the Craig era then I think we will see Bond films becoming lighter and more 'fantastical',probably in the mode of Brosnan's films but better quality scripts etc.

Also I can see it going back to the 'every 2 year' mode.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    barryt007 wrote: »
    If this is the end of the Craig era then I think we will see Bond films becoming lighter and more 'fantastical',probably in the mode of Brosnan's films but better quality scripts etc.

Also I can see it going back to the 'every 2 year' mode.

Why not every year?