The Fantasy thread *Gameweek 29 deadline: Sat 16 Mar 13:30 UK time!*

Comments

Wow, 2,659 points is an incredible achievement! Looking at his scores from gameweek to gameweek, he's got a lot of decisions right this season. He only took 4 hits all season – 2x -4 and 2x -8. Something to keep in mind going into next season.

Crazy points, tomorrow he is doing a tips interview. Luck has to play a part, though it will be interesting how much he has paid attention to stats.

I sometimes used the eye test though never checked stats,, in my first season I just wanted to not overcomplicate things too much whilst getting to know FPL

That interview will be something to read/watch!

Luck is definitely a factor. Probably most of all with one-week punts or captaincy picks, as you're relying on a specific player to deliver. In contrast, bringing in players for X amount of gameweeks and taking form/fixtures into account is more about probability than luck. That is why planning ahead is so important in FPL. Luck has a tendency of even out during 38 gameweeks, while planning ahead should bring more points throughout the season.

I've never looked too much into stats, as I haven't spent time finding stat tools. However, when stats have been mentioned in articles, podcasts, steams or videos, I've used them when deciding on transfers. The eye test has been more important. Don't know if the eye test is any better when it comes to FPL, but using both could be the way to go.
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    Wow, 2,659 points is an incredible achievement! Looking at his scores from gameweek to gameweek, he's got a lot of decisions right this season. He only took 4 hits all season – 2x -4 and 2x -8. Something to keep in mind going into next season.

Crazy points, tomorrow he is doing a tips interview. Luck has to play a part, though it will be interesting how much he has paid attention to stats.

I sometimes used the eye test though never checked stats,, in my first season I just wanted to not overcomplicate things too much whilst getting to know FPL

Luck is definitely a factor. Probably most of all with one-week punts or captaincy picks, as you're relying on a specific player to deliver. In contrast, bringing in players for X amount of gameweeks and taking form/fixtures into account is more about probability than luck. That is why planning ahead is so important in FPL. Luck has a tendency of even out during 38 gameweeks, while planning ahead should bring more points throughout the season.

I've never looked too much into stats, as I haven't spent time finding stat tools. However, when stats have been mentioned in articles, podcasts, steams or videos, I've used them when deciding on transfers. The eye test has been more important. Don't know if the eye test is any better when it comes to FPL, but using both could be the way to go.

I will put more research into picking my 15 players pre season, the initial team I picked this season really set me back with hindsight, I kept getting 40 points until I used my wild card
  • edited May 2019 Posts: 17,241

I will put more research into picking my 15 players pre season, the initial team I picked this season really set me back with hindsight, I kept getting 40 points until I used my wild card

Picking a squad that can get you off to a good start can be important. It's easier to build on a good overall rank a few gameweeks into the season, than having to chase points by making multiple transfers/taking hits. I think the key is to pick 15 players where some are key players you want to keep for a while, some players that have a good run of fixtures early on, and some cheap enablers that allow you to afford the more expensive players.

As an example you can pick a squad that looks something like this (having the £100.0 budget it mind):
    - Premium goalkeeper / non-playing (or playing) £4.0 goalkeeper – or 2x £4.5 playing goalkeepers you rotate.

- One or two premium defenders, two cheaper ones and a £4.0 enabler. Alternatively three premium defenders depending on the formation you want to play.

- One or two premium midfielders, one or two mid-priced midfielders, and a cheap £4.5 one. Alternatively you can spend more money one the midfield and a cheaper attack.

- The attack is a bit different as FPL managers solve this in various ways. The classic option is one premium attacker, one mid-priced attacker and one a bit cheaper attacker. There's also an option to start the season with one premium attacker, a mid-priced one and a £4.5 attacker you can bench.

Some teams started the season or played parts of it with two mid-priced attackers and a cheap one, allowing funds to be spent elsewhere.

We have to take the summer transfer window, pre-season form and prices in the game into account before we'll have an idea which formations are the best, and how it's best to use the budget. I expect plenty of the high-scoring players this FPL season will come at totally different prices before next season. Imagine if Mané and Salah are both £12.0 or £13.0 next season? It will be difficult to get a balanced squad with so much of the budget spent on two players. Same with the Liverpool defenders and City defenders; they'll all take up quite a lot of the budget.
    Got a link to a handy stat tool where you can check various stats for your own FPL season. Enter your team ID in the box, and you'll have plenty of stats to look through. The team ID can be found by accessing "points" on the FPL site – in the address bar.

https://www.anewpla.net/fpl/report
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!

Picking a squad that can get you off to a good start can be important. It's easier to build on a good overall rank a few gameweeks into the season, than having to chase points by making multiple transfers/taking hits. I think the key is to pick 15 players where some are key players you want to keep for a while, some players that have a good run of fixtures early on, and some cheap enablers that allow you to afford the more expensive players.

As an example you can pick a squad that looks something like this (having the £100.0 budget it mind):
    - Premium goalkeeper / non-playing (or playing) £4.0 goalkeeper – or 2x £4.5 playing goalkeepers you rotate.

- One or two premium defenders, two cheaper ones and a £4.0 enabler. Alternatively three premium defenders depending on the formation you want to play.

- One or two premium midfielders, one or two mid-priced midfielders, and a cheap £4.5 one. Alternatively you can spend more money one the midfield and a cheaper attack.

- The attack is a bit different as FPL managers solve this in various ways. The classic option is one premium attacker, one mid-priced attacker and one a bit cheaper attacker. There's also an option to start the season with one premium attacker, a mid-priced one and a £4.5 attacker you can bench.

Some teams started the season or played parts of it with two mid-priced attackers and a cheap one, allowing funds to be spent elsewhere.

We have to take the summer transfer window, pre-season form and prices in the game into account before we'll have an idea which formations are the best, and how it's best to use the budget. I expect plenty of the high-scoring players this FPL season will come at totally different prices before next season. Imagine if Mané and Salah are both £12.0 or £13.0 next season? It will be difficult to get a balanced squad with so much of the budget spent on two players. Same with the Liverpool defenders and City defenders; they'll all take up quite a lot of the budget.

I picked my team based on players I liked and thought would do well initially, I know I need to act quicker when players form drop irrespective of fixtures.
    Got a link to a handy stat tool where you can check various stats for your own FPL season. Enter your team ID in the box, and you'll have plenty of stats to look through. The team ID can be found by accessing "points" on the FPL site – in the address bar.

Cheers I have book marked that link

I picked my team based on players I liked and thought would do well initially, I know I need to act quicker when players form drop irrespective of fixtures.

It's difficult to know when to drop players. I lost out on many points by playing it safe and hanging on to a few players instead of just taking a hit to get rid. Every season is different though. For all we know, the 2019/20 season might be more predictable, making it easier to decide on transfers etc.

Next season's fixtures will be released Thursday 13 June, by the way. By looking at which teams have a decent run from the start, we can already start to plan which players we might want to include in our squads in gameweek 1 in August. A lot will happen between then of course, but having an overview can be a good thing.

I need to find a stat tool that covers each gameweek (and the previous ones) as the season progresses. Maybe one that also includes stuff like expected goals etc. Will post a link here if I find one.

It's difficult to know when to drop players. I lost out on many points by playing it safe and hanging on to a few players instead of just taking a hit to get rid. Every season is different though. For all we know, the 2019/20 season might be more predictable, making it easier to decide on transfers etc.

Next season's fixtures will be released Thursday 13 June, by the way. By looking at which teams have a decent run from the start, we can already start to plan which players we might want to include in our squads in gameweek 1 in August. A lot will happen between then of course, but having an overview can be a good thing.

I need to find a stat tool that covers each gameweek (and the previous ones) as the season progresses. Maybe one that also includes stuff like expected goals etc. Will post a link here if I find one.

I have watched several FPL season wrap up shows and I am so far behind, I have to hit the ground running and nail high points immediately, playing catch up is like banging your head against a brick wall in FPL :))

To have a quick reference tool will be helpful, I'll try to find one also and listen to what the FPL channels suggest.

I have watched several FPL season wrap up shows and I am so far behind, I have to hit the ground running and nail high points immediately, playing catch up is like banging your head against a brick wall in FPL :))

To have a quick reference tool will be helpful, I'll try to find one also and listen to what the FPL channels suggest.

Having a balanced squad with some popular picks included will set you off to a good start, I think. When I started playing last season, TV2 had some FPL segments in their PL season buildup coverage, so you got to know all the basics etc. It was the same this season. This made it much easier playing the game.

I think you'll find it easier hitting the ground running next season now that you've completed a season!

Re. stat tools; I know fantasyfootballscout.co.uk have some handy tools in their members area on the site, but becoming a member cost money. I have a free account there, but that doesn't give you access to anything more than the articles they post. Never been to interested in paying for content, but I played in a cash league this season (finishing second…), and depending on if we'll compete for money next season (and Fantasy Football Scout prices), I might register as a member.

Having a balanced squad with some popular picks included will set you off to a good start, I think. When I started playing last season, TV2 had some FPL segments in their PL season buildup coverage, so you got to know all the basics etc. It was the same this season. This made it much easier playing the game.

I think you'll find it easier hitting the ground running next season now that you've completed a season!

Re. stat tools; I know fantasyfootballscout.co.uk have some handy tools in their members area on the site, but becoming a member cost money. I have a free account there, but that doesn't give you access to anything more than the articles they post. Never been to interested in paying for content, but I played in a cash league this season (finishing second…), and depending on if we'll compete for money next season (and Fantasy Football Scout prices), I might register as a member.

It's guaranteed I will do better next season for sure. A full season does teach you where the pitfalls are. Me going crazy with hits early in the year out of frustration did not help me at all, I could have avoided that by not using my wildcard when I already had a good team in place.

It's guaranteed I will do better next season for sure. A full season does teach you where the pitfalls are. Me going crazy with hits early in the year out of frustration did not help me at all, I could have avoided that by not using my wildcard when I already had a good team in place.

There's definitely a balance to how many hits is worth it or not. Sometimes you have injuries to attend to, or you just need to make some changes to pick up more points in the long run. It's usually best not to take too many hits though.

For me it was the other way around. I took 40 points of hits throughout the season. In one way it feels much, but looking back I could have taken a few more hits and benefited from it.

There's definitely a balance to how many hits is worth it or not. Sometimes you have injuries to attend to, or you just need to make some changes to pick up more points in the long run. It's usually best not to take too many hits though.

For me it was the other way around. I took 40 points of hits throughout the season. In one way it feels much, but looking back I could have taken a few more hits and benefited from it.

Yeah I guess it's hits that work, too many of my hits did not work and players I shipped out then got points. For a period of time I seemed to be one week behind the curve

Yeah I guess it's hits that work, too many of my hits did not work and players I shipped out then got points. For a period of time I seemed to be one week behind the curve

It usually seems to be the case that players automatically find form when we transfer them out, doesn't it! Sometimes they've probably under-performed, and some goal involvement has been just around the corner, while other times they might have just had a game or two when things worked well on pitch.

The players that knows the league and are capable of delivering regularly (think Sterling/Agüero etc.), are probably worth having patience with, as they usually have a few goals in them even if they haven't delivered in a couple of weeks. The players that are a bit more "hot and cold" are probably easier to transfer out.

Also, the start of the season is probably the best time to pick players you know can deliver. Taking a few chances early on might be a bit risky.
    edited May 2019 Posts: 23,104

It usually seems to be the case that players automatically find form when we transfer them out, doesn't it! Sometimes they've probably under-performed, and some goal involvement has been just around the corner, while other times they might have just had a game or two when things worked well on pitch.

The players that knows the league and are capable of delivering regularly (think Sterling/Agüero etc.), are probably worth having patience with, as they usually have a few goals in them even if they haven't delivered in a couple of weeks. The players that are a bit more "hot and cold" are probably easier to transfer out.

Also, the start of the season is probably the best time to pick players you know can deliver. Taking a few chances early on might be a bit risky.

It's a shame Kane got Injured, he was great for FPL points when I had him, though you will probably think the opposite

It's a shame Kane got Injured, he was great for FPL points when I had him, though you will probably think the opposite

Looking at his scores, he was a bit hot and cold by the looks of it. From high scores to 1 or 2 points the next gameweek. He had a couple of good runs in between though.

As a whole, Sp*rs really delivered even though he wasn't available. Son was incredible for them much of the season.

Looking at his scores, he was a bit hot and cold by the looks of it. From high scores to 1 or 2 points the next gameweek. He had a couple of good runs in between though.

As a whole, Sp*rs really delivered even though he wasn't available. Son was incredible for them much of the season.

Son was decent for me though I missed alot of the Christmas points haul

Yeah, he had some good games in that period. He'll surely be a good option the upcoming season as well.

Looks like Graham Potter is close to getting the Brighton job. After doing some incredible work with Östersund in Allsvenskan and a good season with Swansea in the Championship, it will be interesting to see what he can do in Brighton. Will be interesting to follow them from an FPL perspective too.

Yeah, he had some good games in that period. He'll surely be a good option the upcoming season as well.

Looks like Graham Potter is close to getting the Brighton job. After doing some incredible work with Östersund in Allsvenskan and a good season with Swansea in the Championship, it will be interesting to see what he can do in Brighton. Will be interesting to follow them from an FPL perspective too.

Brighton appear to be able spend, I would expect them to be in the mix to get promotion

Brighton appear to be able spend, I would expect them to be in the mix to get promotion

I think there's enough quality in that team to stay up, but they might need to strengthen in the summer transfer window to keep up with the other teams. I expect Norwich and Sheffield United (and whoever joins them in the PL) will be able to get results, and that we'll get an even more competitive season in 2019/20.

I think there's enough quality in that team to stay up, but they might need to strengthen in the summer transfer window to keep up with the other teams. I expect Norwich and Sheffield United (and whoever joins them in the PL) will be able to get results, and that we'll get an even more competitive season in 2019/20.

Of course it was Fulham, Cardiff and Huddersfield who were relegated, because Hughton was fired it made me think Brighton were relegated for a moment

Of course it was Fulham, Cardiff and Huddersfield who were relegated, because Hughton was fired it made me think Brighton were relegated for a moment

Easy mistake! Strange decision I feel, firing Hughton. But I guess Graham Potter will be able to get results with this Brighton side.

Some already planning for next season
  • edited June 2019 Posts: 17,241
    You can never start too early! Haven't given it much thought yet, but I have taken a few quick notes how I might spread the funds in gameweek 1 – at the same time taking a wild guess what some players might cost.

Alexander-Arnold, Laporte and Robertson might come at 6.5-7.0 each for example, but are hard to ignore at any price. Salah and Mané might be 12.0-13.0. Premium strikers at 12.0 or more must be expected too, so that leaves you with quite the challenge of making a good team. Here is a quick example of what I might be looking at (4-4-2):
    4.5 GK
    TAA (7.0) - Laporte (7.0) - Robertson (7.0) - 4.5 def
    Salah/Mané (13.0) - 8.5 mid - 7.5 mid - 5.0 mid
    12.0 striker - 6.5 striker
    (4.5 GK - 4.5 mid - 4.5 attacker - 4.0 def)

Starting at the back I'm thinking two playing 4.5 goalkeepers from the start - leaving as much funds as possible for the defence, midfield and attack. In defence, I'll likely have TAA, Laporte and Robertson, and a playing 4.5 defender. In midfield I'll probably have one of Salah and Mané (in this example both come at 13.0). There will hopefully be a good midfielder available at 8.5 and potentially one at 7.5 as well. I hope there will be a good midfielder option at 5.0 too, but I wouldn't count on it. In attack I have by default put in a premium 12.0 striker, a 4.5 striker you can bench and a 6.5 striker just to complete the team.

Depending on fixtures and prices, this will most likely change completely though. Maybe going cheap up front will be the way to go, leaving funds to be spent in midfield for example.
    Fullbacks are a must and more reliable than most wingers, will be interesting to see if any players are listed in different positions EG Jota as a striker instead of midfield.
    TAA is a must even ahead of Robertson though I'll probably get both. I will look to get a good keeper this season immediately as that was a problem position last year
    Fullbacks are a must and more reliable than most wingers, will be interesting to see if any players are listed in different positions EG Jota as a striker instead of midfield.
    TAA is a must even ahead of Robertson though I'll probably get both. I will look to get a good keeper this season immediately as that was a problem position last year

I definitely think we'll see Jota listed as a striker next season. It lessens the appeal of bringing him in, but he might still deliver the points needed.

Looking at the points they made this season in FPL, I don't think you can go wrong getting both. There's definitely a case for having an expensive defence. As for goalkeepers, a good set and forget option is definitely preferable, but that might be difficult without sacrificing funds elsewhere. I might start with two 4.5 options, and upgrade to a premium goalkeeper on the first wildcard. Again, all this depends on prices and fixtures at the start of the season.

I definitely think we'll see Jota listed as a striker next season. It lessens the appeal of bringing him in, but he might still deliver the points needed.

Looking at the points they made this season in FPL, I don't think you can go wrong getting both. There's definitely a case for having an expensive defence. As for goalkeepers, a good set and forget option is definitely preferable, but that might be difficult without sacrificing funds elsewhere. I might start with two 4.5 options, and upgrade to a premium goalkeeper on the first wildcard. Again, all this depends on prices and fixtures at the start of the season.

I should have got a premium keeper in though as weeks went by others areas were more important, though probably not in truth as keepers can score big points. Grealish is a player I think will do well for FPL managers and he should start cheap

I should have got a premium keeper in though as weeks went by others areas were more important, though probably not in truth as keepers can score big points. Grealish is a player I think will do well for FPL managers and he should start cheap

That's definitely the issue in FPL; there's always some fires to put out! There's always an option going with cheap goalkeepers, but that requires research re. fixtures. The best thing then is to find a goalkeeper pair that rotates well.

Haven't seen many Villa games the last few years, so I really don't know which players to target (should they come at cheap prices). Grealish will probably be in many teams.
  • St_GeorgeSt_George Shuttling Drax's lovelies to the space doughnut - happy 40th, MR!
    I might just give this a go next season - been years since I've given the fantasy football league thing a go... :)

Would be great if you joined us, @St_George! I'll be putting up the league for next season when the game updates. That will be sometime around July, I think – which leaves plenty of time to settle on a team before the first match of the season. :-)