Why I love GOLDFINGER

Comments

• edited April 2012 Posts: 3,333
    Good review, Acton Steve, and I agree that it is necessary that you create a fresh thread for the "younger crowd" to study, who just don't "get" or "understand" the fact that GF is and always will be the true template for a Bond film and not that boring parody named after Ian Fleming's house, which was literally named after a duck. Rather apt when you think about it!!
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 11,189
    bondsum wrote:
    Good review, Acton Steve, and I agree that it is necessary that you create a fresh thread for the "younger crowd" to study, who just don't "get" or "understand" the fact that GF is and always will be the true template for a Bond film and not that boring parody named after Ian Fleming's house, which was literally named after a duck. Rather apt when you think about it!!

Why is it nowadays "cool" to bash GE? The man who helmed that went on to make one of the best films in the series - he must have done something right with GE.

I agree that GF is the superior film but, for the record, I love both movies hugely and each are in my top 5. Yes I'm from the younger generation but blame my mother for that. If you want to talk about a "boring parody" look no further than the tacky, sluggishly paced "Dullmonds are Forever" (*cough*carswitchessides*cough*)
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 12,837
    BAIN123 wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

Why is it nowadays "cool" to bash GE? The man who helmed that went on to make one of the best films in the series - he must have done something right with GE.

I agree that GF is the superior film but, for the record, I love both movies hugely and each are in my top 5. Yes I'm from the younger generation but blame my mother for that. If you want to talk about a "boring parody" look no further than the tacky, sluggishly paced "Dullmonds are Forever" (*cough*carswitchessides*cough*)

GE WAS one of the best films in the series. I actually rank it above CR. I love GF and GE too, both are in my top 5.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

GE WAS one of the best films in the series. I actually rank it above CR. I love GF and GE too, both are in my top 5.

Look I'm not saying its a perfect film - IT ISN'T but, for me, its one of the most entertaining Bond entries. I was thinking the other day that GE is not only my most watched Bond film but probably one of my most watched films ever :-?? :-?? :-??
    BAIN123 wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    bondsum wrote:

Look I'm not saying its a perfect film - IT ISN'T but, for me, its one of the most entertaining Bond entries. I was thinking the other day that GE is not only my most watched Bond film but probably one of my most watched films ever :-?? :-?? :-??

? I'm pro GE, I was saying it's better than CR.
    I'm pro GE, I was saying it's better than CR.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. I love GE but CR has better writing and is directed with more precision. That said there are a few things I prefer in GE (Tina Turner's song, Jack Wade, Zukovski, Trevelyan and Onatopp).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    BAIN123 wrote:
    I'm pro GE, I was saying it's better than CR.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that. I love GE but CR has better writing and is directed with more precision. That said there are a few things I prefer in GE (Tina Turner's song, Jack Wade, Zukovski, Trevelyan and Onatopp).

CR is the better film, GE is the better Bond film... IMO of course :)

I will confess GE is cheesey sometimes (a product of the "cheesey 90s" period it was made in) but it still has a good set of supporting characters played by respectable actors - not to mention some cracking dialogue.

CR doesn't have the "cheese" but still maintains that sense of luxury. Not to mention some cracking action and fun supporting characters.
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [
    Why is it nowadays "cool" to bash GE?

Why is it cool to bash any of them?

GE isn't immune from criticism. My favourite gets bashed on here and I am one of the fans who despairs when the sixties and eighties Bonds get called boring. Its as if the generation which came after me has attention deficit disorder. They cant adjust their brains to a slower moving film.

My review was designed to redress the balance with Goldfinger. I will publish my review of GE if you wish. I have one for each of the Bonds.

But no Bond on here should be a sacred cow.
    actonsteve wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:
    [
    Why is it nowadays "cool" to bash GE?

Why is it cool to bash any of them?

GE isn't immune from criticism. My favourite gets bashed on here and I am one of the fans who despairs when the sixties and eighties Bonds get called boring. Its as if the generation which came after me has attention deficit disorder. They cant adjust their brains to a slower moving film.

My review was designed to redress the balance with Goldfinger. I will publish my review of GE if you wish. I have one for each of the Bonds.

But no Bond on here should be a sacred cow.

You are right @actonsteve (as pretty much always). It's not immune to criticism but the flack it sometimes gets does suprise me. To tell the truth I always thought GE was one of those films everyone liked - until I came on here. I hadn't heard much negativity about it and always enjoyed watching it myself so it stood as one of my firm fav's. Hence I was suprised when I came on Mi6 and saw people slagging it off.

I like all the Bond films and I'd like to think I don't have ADHD.

Still, no need to publish your review - I get the idea :)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    If you want to talk about a "boring parody" look no further than the tacky, sluggishly paced "Dullmonds are Forever" (*cough*carswitchessides*cough*)

Please...no need for ad hominem attacks here. As far as mistakes go...there are plenty to be found in all your beloved Bond films. Just take GE for example...

<url>

Q's lab looks so humdrum - typical of the lazy production design in the more recent movies. How we miss Ken Adam's genius!
    Sigh. I know. Lol. I've just enjoyed GE more than DAF. Forgive me.
    I can just about forgive you that one ;)
    BAIN123 wrote:
    Sigh. I know. Lol. I've just enjoyed GE more than DAF. Forgive me.

Absolutely! If you can forgive me for favoring DAF! :D
    BAIN123 wrote:

Hey, don't get too upset, BAIN, it's only a movie. For me GE might be considered the best of the Brosnan bunch but it really doesn't quite deserve the near-mythical status of "classic" Bond it seems to get around here just because it was the first Bond movie some happened to pop in the old VHS aged 9. I'm sorry but for the same reasons you dislike DAF I dislike GE.

As for the DAF (*cough*carswitchessides*cough*) stunt, this was never an issue when it was released, and was only picked up on long after when it was continuously aired on TV. In fact, it was only its availability on VHS to replay and dissect that allowed people to indulge in their favourite new past time.... blooper spotting.

Anyway, just call me "cool" for being honest about GE. B-)
    bondsum wrote:
    BAIN123 wrote:

Hey, don't get too upset, BAIN, it's only a movie.

I know :( Wise words @Bondsum. Trouble is, it feels like its "my" movie. We all have that "special" Bond film - mine's GE. Not saying its the best Bond film btw.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited April 2012 Posts: 15,691
    bondsum wrote:
    it really doesn't quite deserve the near-mythical status of "classic" Bond it seems to get around here just because it was the first Bond movie some happened to pop in the old VHS aged 9.

Eh ? GE has a 'classic outing' status because in the eyes of tens of millions of casual Bond fans and to the general public it is defined as a classic outing.
    bondsum wrote:
    it really doesn't quite deserve the near-mythical status of "classic" Bond it seems to get around here just because it was the first Bond movie some happened to pop in the old VHS aged 9.

Eh ? GE has a 'classic outing' status because in the eyes of tens of millions of casual Bond fans and to the general public it is defined as a classic outing.

Don't DC. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

All @Bondsum needs to realise is that, for a lot of people, GE was the GF for the 90s.
    If bondsum thinks GE isn't worthy of a classic status, it's his opinion afterall, and I respect it.... but fact is GE is a classic outing for tens of millions of casual fans/everyday moviegoers around the world. To the general public, GE is a classic outing, whether we agree with them or not.
  • TheWizardOfIceTheWizardOfIce 'One of the Internet's more toxic individuals'
    I can understand where Bain is coming from here. I defend MR far more than I should simply because it was the one I watched over and over on VHS as a kid. I still rate it around the middle, when in all honesty it doesnt really deserve such a rating.

As for GE it has managed to attain classic status I think due to a couple of iconic moments and the fact that it practically introduced a new generation to Bond at a time when many thought the series might be finished.
    It is a shameless ripoff of the GF template but this was exactly what the doctor ordered in the dark, Bondless days of the early 90s.

And to be fair it was 17 years ago now so without GE delivering in spades when it really had to room for error would we have made it to 50?
    If bondsum thinks GE isn't worthy of a classic status, it's his opinion afterall, and I respect it.... but fact is GE is a classic outing for tens of millions of casual fans/everyday moviegoers around the world. To the general public, GE is a classic outing, whether we agree with them or not.

Tens of millions? Tens of millions? Say,about the population of Australia? Thats about 20 million. 20 million people have sat down and thought "you know what...that GE is actually classic status"

Its not really is it? A lot of fanboys who came to Bond after the six year hiatus rate it highly. A fair amount because there was a fair amount coming to it with the computer game. It caught them at an impressionable age just as the books and films caught me as an impressionable age.

It was necessary. It was needed. But it aint no classic. IMHO.
    actonsteve wrote:

Tens of millions? Tens of millions? Say,about the population of Australia? Thats about 20 million. 20 million people have sat down and thought "you know what...that GE is actually classic status"

Its not really is it? A lot of fanboys who came to Bond after the six year hiatus rate it highly. A fair amount because there was a fair amount coming to it with the computer game. It caught them at an impressionable age just as the books and films caught me as an impressionable age.

There's over 100 millions people who have seen GE, so it's not out of reach that tens of millions of them find GE to be a classic outing. Besides, we all know that GF, TSWLM, GE and now CR are the 4 main outings in the eyes of the general public.
    actonsteve wrote:

Whenever I read polls for best Bond film it's always near the top. I found one recently which had a top 3 of CR, GF and GE. And it is extremely popular, one of the better reviewed films, and yeah it is seen by alot of people as a classic, including me.
    I think it's fair to say that for the general public, GF, TSWLM, GE and CR are widely considered classic outings.
    I think it's fair to say that for the general public, GF, TSWLM, GE and CR are widely considered classic outings.

Yeah that sounds about right. Maybe throw in TB or OHMSS.
    I wouldn't say its rated as highly as most of the films in the 60s but it is still placed fairly near the top on most peoples list (including mine).

Here's the concluding part of Kim Newman's Empire review. For those who know KN knows his Bond/Fleming.

This is the best bond movie since On Her Majesty's Secret Service. On the evidence of Goldeneye, the shaken-not-stirred secret agent can more than hold his own against True Lies, the Die Hard series, Under Siege or any of the other action hero franchises.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=133389

Maybe he'd say something different now but who knows?

Not Dr No? Not FRWL? Not TB? Not YOLT?

The iconic sixties films are the ones which stick in the minds of the general pubic. Maybe GE because Pierce did make an impression and it seems beloved of ITV schedulers.

But I would say the sixties films are the only ones guaranteed in the publics minds as classics - Sean, the Aston Martin, Blofeld, the white cat and Shirley Bassey.

actonsteve wrote:

The iconic sixties films are the ones which stick in the minds of the general pubic. Maybe GE because Pierce did make an impression and it seems beloved of ITV schedulers.

But I would say the sixties films are the only ones guaranteed in the publics minds as classics - Sean, the Aston Martin, Blofeld, the white cat and Shirley Bassey.

I'd actually say "less so" with those first two. Yes they're well respected and highly regarded but much more so amongst the hardcore/Fleming fans tbh. I'd have thought most "norms" would think of "Goldfinger" as the "definitive 60s Bond film" - it's when they started to become more "mainstream" and "kid friendly"

You may or may not have seen this @actonsteve. Its a vid on Youtube where people carried out a "Bondathon".

Neither DN or FRWL are in the top 5 (although it is nice to see OHMSS at number 4)
    actonsteve wrote:

I didn't say those weren't considered as classics... I said that the ones that are the *most* considered classics by the largest majority of the general public are GF, TSWLM, GE and CR. Yes those you mentioned are considered classics.... but not to the same level as the other 4 I mentionned.