Game of Thrones (2011 - 19)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    It's a shame they took two episodes and pretty much had them chock full of nothing but season one callbacks, "remember when" discussions and reunions. It seems next week, some forward progression and development will finally happen, but damn.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    It's a shame they took two episodes and pretty much had them chock full of nothing but season one callbacks, "remember when" discussions and reunions. It seems next week, some forward progression and development will finally happen, but damn.

I can understand your feeling. It is true that not much really happened. But I enjoyed many of the conversations a lot. Next week must and will be different and more lethal. Can't wait.

I can understand your feeling. It is true that not much really happened. But I enjoyed many of the conversations a lot. Next week must and will be different and more lethal. Can't wait.

They're enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but for a six episode season? This stuff could've been relegated to the first 15-20 minutes of the first episode. I'm avoiding the "Next week on..." bits at the end of each corresponding episode, but judging how things wrap up in episode two, it should get much better from here on out.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,834

They're enjoyable, don't get me wrong, but for a six episode season? This stuff could've been relegated to the first 15-20 minutes of the first episode. I'm avoiding the "Next week on..." bits at the end of each corresponding episode, but judging how things wrap up in episode two, it should get much better from here on out.
    @Creasy47 The six episode thing means nothing though because the next four episodes have an extra twenty minutes each, which is basically a whole film extra if you add it up. We're getting four longer episodes of pure craziness so I'm sure we can handle two episodes of build up, which I've actually missed because they've been rushing this thing since Season 4 and I wasn't too keen on that. I preferred it when the first three seasons took their time.
  • I've really enjoyed the "calm before the storm" episodes. It's going to be a wild ride of action & death coming up! By the end of the season you might look back at these 2 episodes a bit more fondly. :)
    edited April 2019 Posts: 40,372
    Denbigh wrote: »

@Creasy47 The six episode thing means nothing though because the next four episodes have an extra twenty minutes each, which is basically a whole film extra if you add it up. We're getting four longer episodes of pure craziness so I'm sure we can handle two episodes of build up, which I've actually missed because they've been rushing this thing since Season 4 and I wasn't too keen on that. I preferred it when the first three seasons took their time.

That extra footage tallies up to one extra 80 minute episode, though, compared to 50-60 minute episodes of a 10 episode season. If anything, these initial two episodes could've been lengthened, with the first one capping off the same way last night's episode finished, but I digress.

Trust me, I preferred the earlier seasons taking their time, too.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited April 2019 Posts: 4,343

I disagree. Thanks to those two beautifully crafted and emotional episodes (sometime even heartbreaking) now all the crazy action and deaths that are coming will truly feel significant and even more telling. Did u saw The Return of the King? "It's the deep breath before the plunge." ;)
  • Fire_and_Ice_ReturnsFire_and_Ice_Returns I am trying to get away from this mountan!
    edited April 2019 Posts: 23,105
    I enjoyed the scene when it showed some of the defenses being set up, which gave us an insight into the military tactics being employed, it reminded me of The Two Towers to an extent.
    matt_u wrote: »

I disagree. Thanks to those two beautifully crafted and emotional episodes (sometime even heartbreaking) now all the crazy action and deaths that are coming will truly feel significant and even more telling. Did u saw The Return of the King? "It's the deep breath before the plunge." ;)

Agree to disagree. To me, those deaths will be significant thanks to the last seven seasons. I don't need two full episodes dedicated to reminding me how much these characters mean to the audience or how much they've grown in their respective arcs over the years - that's what the rest of the series was for.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,541
    matt_u wrote: »

Agree to disagree. To me, those deaths will be significant thanks to the last seven seasons. I don't need two full episodes dedicated to reminding me how much these characters mean to the audience or how much they've grown in their respective arcs over the years - that's what the rest of the series was for.

I agree even Script didn't seem upto mark and what is wrong with a lot of dialogue delivery, I mean characters doesn't seem like what they seem once to me.

Jon's reveal to Danny Was Cringe Worthy to me. Things may change after 3rd episode.
    I fear that's a product of moving further and further away from GRRM's source material. They're working off a rough outline of what he's given them, so the dialogue is pretty much up to those working on the script versus being something they can pull from the books. It's apparent when you realize the season opens with a eunuch/dwarf joke.

Yes, the real meat lies within the rest of the episodes, it would seem. That's where it all will pick up steam and the plot and pacing should be firing on all cylinders (finally). Hell, I don't even hate the last two episodes - season one is my favorite, when there was relatively little action and lots of rich dialogue and sequences, but not when we're in the end game of a shortened season.
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    I, for one, absolutely loved the second episode! I’m also looking forward to the big battles and the shocking deaths but I did enjoy the fantastic dialogue displayed here. Let’s not forget that the interaction between all those colourful characters has also been one of the key ingredients of this excellent show. This last episode delivers that in spades.
    It would be the perfect time to play “guess who will die in the next episode“. Anyone?
    I would say:
    Theon Greyjoy
    Tormund
    Grey Worm
    Berric Dondarrion
    Night King
    I really hope that at least one of the big names will be killed, too (Daenerys?!) . Otherwise, it doesn't feel realistic to me. It was strange (and a bit unsatisfying) that no one of the big names died in season 7.
    Found that on YouTube. So true :

I've got a prediction for the rest of the season just before the third episode comes out
    I wouldn't be surprised if Jon Snow is killed in this episode. I think Dany may have the chance to save him but won't and it will create further conflict between her and Sansa, who I think now may sit on the Throne
    This is probably going to be wrong, but if anything I just want to see how close I am.
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I've got a prediction for the rest of the season just before the third episode comes out
    I wouldn't be surprised if Jon Snow is killed in this episode. I think Dany may have the chance to save him but won't and it will create further conflict between her and Sansa, who I think now may sit on the Throne
    This is probably going to be wrong, but if anything I just want to see how close I am.

This would have been very interesting.

Watched the episode before work and it was amazing. This episode was more spectacular and exciting than most movies in the cinema. But one thing that bothers me is
    that they don't have the balls anymore to kill the big names
    Be patient, it isn't over yet. Remember : Valar Morgulis.
    I thought it was good, but with every climatic showstopping moment there's going to be some that are left bitterly disappointed. Was I? No, because I called it earlier in my own "spoiler hidden" theory, though it did take a slight detour from the exact events that I thought it was going to take. Maybe one complaint I have was that it was all shot a little too dark. It's certainly not on the level of TV's Lost, which I believe some internet commentators are eluding to. Overall, there's more to play for. Bring on the next episode.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    What they did with The Battle of Winterfell was just insane. Still shacking.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited April 2019 Posts: 2,541
    What a fantastic, haunting, breathtaking episode it was, ending was something I couldn't have guessed. I enjoyed it far more than Endgame. That being said, I have heard many people complaining about this one being so dark which I already knew watching the previews so I already had a solution for it. I didn't really watched it on TV yet but I downloaded it in best quality I could find watched it on my laptop adjusting some brightness, contrast & sharpness in my video player and there problem solved or you could use a Chinese video player named 'QQ' player which can enhance your video quality just by pressing 'a' if it's already set in your default control settings in your video player. Another option is you can adjust those settings in your TV as well if you want. Hope it helps.

There were some great and bad moments in the episode but more great and less bad imo. Don't want to spoil for anyone so we shall discuss about this episode in the future.

Eagerly waiting for next 3 episodes
    @bondsum, it was so dark to help hide all the CGI/cut down on production costs. As soon as the battle ends, dawn begins to break. I thought the episode was great - some emotional death scenes, for sure, with a nice twist on it all. I figured:
    The Night King/White Walker story would end there, so the final three episodes could be dedicated to the survivors fighting Cersei in the south. No way the WW storyline could've continued alongside that. A few moments throughout, I was expecting the Night King to win and everyone would die, leaving the Night King's Army to go up against Cersei. What a twist that would've been.

Also, called the Arya/Melisandre reunion, but I didn't expect it to have such heft and importance, either. Been dwelling on that moment for years now, was only a matter of time. Love how Melisandre drops the necklace and dies in the snow as the episode closes.

And, as idiotic as the idea was, sending the Dothraki out with their flaming swords, only to watch all the lights die out in a sea of black, was terrifying. That was the moment that really had me thinking most of these characters weren't going to live until morning.
    I don’t normally come on this thread because of possible spoilers but My God episode 3 was awesome ,I’m drained and shocked .
    Absolutely brilliant!!!! :-SS =D> :-O
  • Amazing episode, one of the best action battles in television history! Cheered at that end scene. Bring on the final 3!
    Amazing episode, one of the best action battles in television history! Cheered at that end scene. Bring on the final 3!

Indeed !!!

What a battle ,everyone just battling to stay alive basically!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Amazing episode, one of the best action battles in television history! Cheered at that end scene. Bring on the final 3!

Indeed !!!

A few moments legitimately had me thinking that was the end for everyone there.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Indeed !!!

A few moments legitimately had me thinking that was the end for everyone there.

Me as well.
    It was a slaughterhouse at one stage !!
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 386
    Meh, it’s just fan service now. Our favourite heroes get suitably heroic moments and all live to fight another day. The books’ strength is their unpredictability. Now that the source material is exhausted, decision by committee is ruining a once-great television show.

Don’t get me wrong - it is still compulsive viewing. Excellent production values and performances. But the essence of what made the show truly shine in earlier seasons is gone.
    GetCarter wrote: »
    Meh, it’s just fan service now. Our favourite heroes get suitably heroic moments and all live to fight another day. The books’ strength is their unpredictability. Now that the source material is exhausted, decision by committee is ruining a once-great television show.

Don’t get me wrong - it is still compulsive viewing. Excellent production values and performances. But the essence of what made the show truly shine in earlier seasons is gone.
    GetCarter wrote: »

Considering who died I would say it wasn’t fan service.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Fantastic episode, tense, thrilling, horrifying and emotional.

TV has never been so epic and ambitious.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, some of the major deaths in this series haven't come from these massive battles. The only one I can really think of is Ygritte, and I wouldn't consider her a 'major character'. There may be an obvious one I am missing. They have set up characters to go beyond the Battle of Winterfell so I'm not too upset about last night's episode.