"Can you play any other tune?": Who should perform the next Bond theme...?

Comments

Listening to Born to Die (Album) by Lana Del Rey, and thinking she could pull of a classy theme tune. There are a lot of bond -esque tunes on the album, and some of the string arrangements on some songs have a bond-like vibe. Plus she is rather attractive too.

BUT she can't perform live. I believe a few pages prior to this one I make that clear. She'd do a terrible theme.

Adele.
  • SandySandy Somewhere in Europe
    JWESTBROOK wrote:
    Listening to Born to Die (Album) by Lana Del Rey, and thinking she could pull of a classy theme tune. There are a lot of bond -esque tunes on the album, and some of the string arrangements on some songs have a bond-like vibe. Plus she is rather attractive too.

BUT she can't perform live. I believe a few pages prior to this one I make that clear. She'd do a terrible theme.

She's a terrible fake singer, I'm afraid! It would be terrible! I would go for Paloma Faith, though I wouldn't mind Garbage coming back (their latest single just been released and is amazing). If Adele gets to do it I won't mind either, she's got some voice.
  • Sandy wrote:
    JWESTBROOK wrote:

She's a terrible fake singer, I'm afraid! It would be terrible! I would go for Paloma Faith, though I wouldn't mind Garbage coming back (their latest single just been released and is amazing). If Adele gets to do it I won't mind either, she's got some voice.

@Sandy Paloma Faith would be excellent! I don't know why more people haven't mentioned her! Her voice is perfect for Bond.
    It's going to be Adele.
    These would be the greatest choices:
    -Foreigner
    -The Rolling Stones
    -Van Halen
    -Rush
    -Styx
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 53
    Devo or Queen. I have various others in mind, but these are my top two.
    Besides, they have contributed to film soundtracks before...
  • This is the newest song released by Paloma Faith from her new album Fall To Grace. Again, her voice would be perfect for Bond!

This is the newest song released by Paloma Faith from her new album Fall To Grace. Again, her voice would be perfect for Bond!

Paloma Faith has a very good voice, I saw her at David Arnold's Care International Concert over a year ago where she also sung, she is a real character and has great presents! But... she is nowhere near big enough for the Bond stage at this moment in time, BB/Eon & Sony will only go with the biggest star that suits them and more so the film! Not to mention Sam Mendes and Thomas Newman will have a big hand in it all too, which leads us nicely back to the only real contender.... Adele!!
    Its a done deal, and she along with Newman will pretty much have it the bag by now!!
    :-B
  • WillardWhyteWillardWhyte Midnight Society #ProjectMoon
    00Beast wrote:
    These would be the greatest choices:
    -Foreigner
    -The Rolling Stones
    -Van Halen
    -Rush
    -Styx

Now were talking! Enough with these current singers, lets give the reigns to the classic groups. Rush or Styx imo would be spectacular.

• edited April 2012 Posts: 130
    Basically all the tracks from "Rome" are my favourite. But together with Norah Jones, Danger Mouse & Daniele Luppi have really found the perfect combination for Bond...

• so how long until we found out who does it? filming is done in May trailer coming out poster too......we should have a singer and some bond theme from our new composer Thomas Newman
    No news is good news as far as I'm concerned with the music choice. I know it's going to be something awful, so it's kind of like waiting on death row until execution time or something
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

If that happened, I would promise to never be a debbie downer towards the Craig era again. That's how much I want Caro Emerald to sing a Bond title track. [-O<
    I really do like this lady! If it should not be Adele? This girl would be just as awesome!
  • <blockquote><a href="/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/8538#Comment_8538">Quoting Bond_Ed</a>: for what she would would bring visually, with the video</blockquote>

I don't think any singer in the franchise has ever worked on the visual of the opening credits. The visual aspect is solely the work of Binder, Kleinman or whoever.

I brought this one back because I am shocked no one mentioned Sheena Easton was prominently featured in the FYEO opening credits.

My 14 year old (this week) daughter thinks it's going to be Adele. I will have to listen to some of the singers suggested as I'm not familiar with some of them, but if they want a female rock voice I'd suggest Lzzy Hale of Halestorm. IMO, best female singer out there for that genre, a powerful voice with tons of range.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2012 Posts: 13,894
    RogueAgent wrote:
    I really do like this lady! If it should not be Adele? This girl would be just as awesome!

I'm in love with her voice, so getting to hear her sing a Bond title track in on my wishlist. :)

EDIT.
    That's Caro Emerald, not Adele.
    Y'know who SHOULDN'T perform a Bond theme.

Adele.
  • Shirley Bassey! She is for many the singing voice of the Bond franchise and has given the films their unique sound since Goldfinger, and has been the only singing artist to return. It would be great if for the 50th anniversary they would use her. I know its not very cool (sales wise) to have a recording artist from the 60's 70's perform a Bond theme song but I think that it would be a great way to pay tribute to 50 years of Bond theme songs. I thought that the song (No Good About Goodbye) supposedly rejected for Quantum Of Solace, that was written by David Arnold and sung by Shirley Bassey was much better than "Another Way To Die".Not sure how to drop youtube clips into the discussion - so to listen to the track just go to youtube and enter SHIRLEY BASSEY QUANTUM OF SOLACE...That song sounds more Bond like than anything since the 1980's...Like the music score - I think a Bond song should sound like a Bond song...
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Shirley Bassey! She is for many the singing voice of the Bond franchise and has given the films their unique sound since Goldfinger, and has been the only singing artist to return. It would be great if for the 50th anniversary they would use her. I know its not very cool (sales wise) to have a recording artist from the 60's 70's perform a Bond theme song but I think that it would be a great way to pay tribute to 50 years of Bond theme songs. I thought that the song (No Good About Goodbye) supposedly rejected for Quantum Of Solace, that was written by David Arnold and sung by Shirley Bassey was much better than "Another Way To Die".Not sure how to drop youtube clips into the discussion - so to listen to the track just go to youtube and enter SHIRLEY BASSEY QUANTUM OF SOLACE...That song sounds more Bond like than anything since the 1980's...Like the music score - I think a Bond song should sound like a Bond song...

That's a no brainer. Great post, couldn't agree more with having Bassey for the big anniversary. I'd be happy even if they let her do the end credits. No singer has done more for the franchise, or is more deserving.
    It sounds like a traditional Bond tune which is probably the reason why the excellent No Good About Goodbye sung by Shirley Bassey wasn't chosen for Quantum Of Solace. Ever since DAD it seems the producers have been pushing for something different. Some may call it contemporary whilst others may refer to it as fecal matter squeezed through a speaker. But if No Good About Goodbye really was rejected then it was a huge missed opportunity, even though I just lent my support to the White/Keys song in my previous post.

Maybe the producers were thinking more about download sales than they were about what was right for the movie?

Anywayz, I still think Adele is a step in the right direction.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 3,494
    Fecal matter through a speaker? That's funny. The GoldenEye soundtrack immediately came to mind :))

The problem I have with what EON does musically is standalone songs written by someone other than the film's composer. The GoldenEye theme song was great but isn't used by Serra and it's inclusion in cues would have vastly improved this aspect of the film. The Sheryl Crow song was mediocre but Arnold used his pure Bondian Surrender to create his best overall work to date. DAD was thankfully not used that I can remember and Arnold used a little bit of AWTD in the boat chase but nothing else.

I am a firm believer that the film's composer should also be the composer of the title song. It gives the film a sense of identity. Giving the recording artist creative control past singing the song usually doesn't end well as we have seen. I'll definitely check this piece out later to see if Arnold used it in QOS.
  • edited April 2012 Posts: 4
    I really think it should be a man or a band. Adele shouldn't be let anywhere near bond with her soppy rubbish, I admit, she DOES have talent but her music is too boring and depressing.

My choices would be:

-Richard Hawley - this man is an absolute genius, he would do a cracking job.

-Alex Turner - this man is also an absolute genius, his soundtrack for Submarine was beautiful and he has shown his talent for writing big tunes recently such as R U Mine? Don't Sit Down, Library Pictures, Electricity, Evil Twin, You and I and so on.

-Arctic Monkeys - Alex Turner's band would be incredible, for the same reason as Turner - talent for songwriting and coming up with big tunes.

-The High Flying Birds/Noel Gallagher - Two words, Freaky Teeth.

-Paul Weller - Purely for my love of him.

And hundreds more that aren't Adele or Paloma Faith.

EDIT: Also, I would love Paul Cornell to return, preferably with Arnold, even though he's not scoring Skyfall, he could still contribute. There was no need to get rid of him, he is an incredibly talented man, fu**ing Sam Mendes. I know he's talented but I just have that feeling he's going to ruin bond :/
    Ok, I would love to see Paul McCartney, Phil Collins or Amy Lee. Just make this theme something to remember. There hasn't been any thing since CR and LALD.
  • Just have a sneeky feeling it could be someone like Michael Buble, especially if they want to return to the 60's feel.
  • oo7oo7
    <table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" border="0"><tr><td width="425" height="355" valign="top"> <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/exrLylxFGUk&start=0&autoplay=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/exrLylxFGUk&start=0&autoplay=0"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object> </td><td width="425" height="355" valign="top"> <object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PLPVqwmVs4I&start=0&autoplay=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PLPVqwmVs4I&start=0&autoplay=0"; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object> </td></tr> <tr><td colspane=2><span style="font-size:8pt; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, verdana, sans-serif;"><a href="http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=exrLylxFGUk&amp;start1=0&amp;video2=PLPVqwmVs4I&amp;start2=0&amp;authorName=Ann+O'Nymous&quot;&gt;YouTube Doubler</a></td></tr> </table>
    Shirley Bassey or Adele - and since a lot of the movie is supost to be set in Shanghai and Macao, i'd like the song to have an oriental feel to it - a modern day YOLT
  • DomesticKittenDomesticKitten Blofeld's Lap
    I would love it if Florence + The Machine was given a shot.
    Miss Welch has a GORGEOUS voice. Perfectly suited for a Bond theme. Pretty much every song on her album 'Ceremonials' would work as a Bond theme. Either her or Adele.
  • Fergie/Black Eyed Peas
    Fergie/Black Eyed Peas

I'm sorry but I find this laughable. There are everything but class. IMO if I must say it.
This discussion has been closed.