2. TLD
3. LTK

Blimey, these 3 are all good.

Comments

• GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    1. OHMSS
    2. TLD
    3. LTK

My three favourite entries, I like all three of them but OHMSS is just a tad better than the rest.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    Birdleson wrote: »
    1. TLD
    2. OHMSS
    3. LTK

The same here. I love the first two, but LTK is only bond average (or even lower).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    OHMSS
    TLD

L2K
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    TLD
    OHMSS

LTK
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    TLD
    OHMSS
    LTK
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 6,803
    My top three too.
    TLD and LTK generally switch 2 and 3, but OHMSS will always be number 1 for me!
    Regarding PTS though it's got to be
    1. TLD
    2. OHMSS
    3. LTK.
  • OHMSS
    TLD
    LTK
  • GoldenGunGoldenGun Per ora e per il momento che verrà
    edited March 2019 Posts: 6,778
    As I said, my three favourite Bond films. Some more thoughts aon their PTS's:

OHMSS is an absolute cracker, maybe even the best of them all. The mystery shots of Lazenby, the amazing cinematography, the fabulous fisticuffs, it's all top notch.

TLD is a great start to Dalton's tenure too, the shot revealing him as the new 007 is the best in the series. The stunts are amazing and after AVTAK it's refreshing to see a Bond who could actually pull all this stuff off.

LTK has a fine PTS but not one of the best, despite the great plane stunt. Here is one Bond film that ends a lot stronger than it starts.
    1. OHMSS: Just a great intro for Bond. The slow reveal of his face, the close-up of his chin. The way he drives the Aston onto the beach and unpacks that telescopic sight to scan for Tracy. It’s pure Bond and stylishly shot.

2. TLD: A good intro for Dalton, marred slightly by chattering monkeys and cockney military personnel.

3. LTK: The movie’s biggest sin is having a really lackluster PTS. The capturing of the light aircraft is good but everything else just feels untypical of Bond.
    It's kinda an unfair comparison as TLD is one of the best in the series, LTK tried to do something different as it was an experiment, and the OHMSS PTS is arguably the definitive Bond moment onscreen.
  • TLD (always a thrill!)
    OHMSS ( a great intro to Lazenby, stylish!)
    LTK ( no faults, the film only gets better from here)
    bondsum wrote: »
    1. OHMSS: Just a great intro for Bond. The slow reveal of his face, the close-up of his chin. The way he drives the Aston onto the beach and unpacks that telescopic sight to scan for Tracy. It’s pure Bond and stylishly shot.

2. TLD: A good intro for Dalton, marred slightly by chattering monkeys and cockney military personnel.

3. LTK: The movie’s biggest sin is having a really lackluster PTS. The capturing of the light aircraft is good but everything else just feels untypical of Bond.

I wouldnt call LTK pts lacklustre, it's certainly not as good as the other two, but a lot better than most! Even Christopher Nolan stole from it for The Dark Knight Returns, and it was something different and a unique way of catching the bad guy. And of course Dalton is superb in it, love the moment where he is shouting for Felix and the others to get in the helicopter, and the previous jump in front of and shooting at the jeep is pretty cool!
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    1. OHMSS
    2. TLD
    3. LTK
    1. OHMSS. This is the only decent PTS of the three.
    2. TLD. Bad, bad, bad. But it’s what one can expect when hack director John Glen (the worst of the Bond directors) is involved. Stupid, goofy humor with the Roger Moore and George Lazenby lookalikes. Then there’s Dalton, known for his hammy performances in classics like Flash Gordon, getting scared to death by some monkey. Can you imagine if they introduced Sean Connery in that way? Then a lame, boring car chase follows.
    3. LTK. “I told you this was a mistake!” One of many goofy moments in what is supposed to be a gritty action-thriller. But, of course, it’s John Glen directing yet again (the 1980’s was the worst time for Bond).
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 19,339
    Ow !!

A hatred of Glen and Dalton much ?!?!
  • thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    Interesting competition. We have two that introduce a new Bond to the cinema.

OHMSS I can overlook tyres squealing on a beach. I can overlook the choppy editing. The colour of the scene is great and the fight in the water is pretty epic. "This never happened to the other fella." A cheap laugh and one that foreshadows all the times this film tries to remind us that Connery's Bond is really this Bond. I think OHMSS plays better if it just played it straight...like LALD did for Moore.

TLD Great mini adventure. I agree with @Mack_Bolan the fact Bond is startled by a monkey is a bit odd. However it does highlight this Bond is human. I enjoy the jeep and fight that occurs. Would it have been better if Dalton doesn't throw away "Bond James Bond." Yes but overall a good start!

LTK Mixed feelings on this one. The slow motion of Leiter and the agents seems a bit much and I think ages the film. The helicopter plane stunt is pretty cool. Parachuting into the wedding is a cute gag. Not the best PTS but not the worst. Kind of meh for me!
    Glen's jump scares are the single element I can't stand of his tenure. Pigeons, sharks, cats, monkeys and of course PIGEONS! We get it already!
    I think he is extremely underrated and was a great technician and knew just exactly how to get the maximum out of scenes. However, I can agree that he was perhaps not the best at being an actor's director and some other segments of the job.
    While I'm in agreement that the LTK slomo charge shot was unnecessary it is a gag setup for the next shot showing the static, unarmed, cowed pilots.

But for me I don't think anything in the series tops the OHMSS PTS for defining the character in the way that Fleming wrote him and with full cinematic know how in how to realize it. I think the best scene in the series is the Orient Express confrontation but the purest from a character and cinematic perspective is the OHMSS opening which was Peter Hunt's goal.
  • PrinceKamalKhanPrinceKamalKhan Monsoon Palace, Udaipur
    001) TLD
    002) OHMSS
    003) LTK

The same order I rank these 003 films.

Mathis1 wrote: »
    bondsum wrote: »

I wouldnt call LTK pts lacklustre, it's certainly not as good as the other two, but a lot better than most! Even Christopher Nolan stole from it for The Dark Knight Returns, and it was something different and a unique way of catching the bad guy. And of course Dalton is superb in it, love the moment where he is shouting for Felix and the others to get in the helicopter, and the previous jump in front of and shooting at the jeep is pretty cool!
    Personally speaking, I’ve never cared for the LTK pts. I agree that the movie gets better from the titles onwards. I reappraised this movie not so long ago and gave my opinion of the movie overall on another thread. Here is a sample of what I wrote:

Just to refresh my memory I've rewatched the PTS again in maybe 15 years!! I'm still going with this being a poorly executed and uninteresting PTS. I'd forgotten the awful slow-mo of the DEA agents running across the landing strip. It's totally unnecessary. The whole thing is shot rather shabbily, camera swings left and right from the helicopter landing to Sanchez jumping out of a jeep. It all looks like it was shot on the fly. The wedding feels a bit like a segment from Dynasty. Nothing excites me much here. Dalton appears to be angry shouting "C'mon" a lot. Then we have Sanchez escape by plane and the big stunt of lassoing it from the helicopter. The inserts of Dalton don't feel real, I could almost see him suspended just 5 feet off the ground flapping his arms before they cut back to the real stuntman doing his thing. Then we have the titles, product placement of the Olympus OM4 and Kodak feature throughout some really dated-looking graphics.

Yes, I’m totally aware that the thieving magpie Chris Nolan was inspired by the LTK pts, but his stuntwork went much bigger than a light aircraft that was used in Dalton’s film. For the record, I’d say TMWTGG probably has a far more insipid pts. However I cannot deny that I was very underwhelmed by the pts when I first saw the movie at the theater back in ‘89. I was just expecting something more exciting for Dalton’s second movie rather than a cheesy wedding.