Where does Bond go after Craig?

Comments

• edited January 2019 Posts: 17,274
    bondjames wrote: »
    Re. casting, I hope they continue casting people that are not household names for central characters in each film. A bit of the fun is discovering an actor or actress you're totally or a bit unfamiliar with – especially when they really deliver.
    I'm completely with you on this. That was refreshing in GE and CR as well (Izabella, Famke & Gottfried John were revelations, as were Eva and Mads).

Agree with the rest of the names you mention as well. I knew about Mads Mikkelsen from other roles though, so CR was only a confirmation that he'd do well in a big production like Bond. There are plenty more Scandinavian actors and actresses to choose from, should EON ever consider that again.

Yepp, Mikael Persbrandt, to name but one. Or Nikolaj Lie Kaas. Or Nikolaj Coster-Waldau.

All great actors (Persbrandt could have made a great Blofeld, I think). Any German actors you'd want to see in a Bond film?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Nikolaj Lie Kaas was chillingly good in Angels and Demons. I of course know of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau from GoT, where he is very impressive.

I am not familiar with Mikael Persbrandt although I gather he was in The Girl in the Spider's Web, which I've seen.
    Nikolaj Lie Kaas was chillingly good in Angels and Demons. I of course know of Nikolaj Coster-Waldau from GoT, where he is very impressive.

I am not familiar with Mikael Persbrandt although I gather he was in The Girl in the Spider's Web, which I've seen.

Persbrandt has played in a lot of Swedish productions (obviously), but also some international productions. For Bond fans, his two films playing "the Swedish James Bond – Carl Hamilton might be of interest. Originally a series of books by Jan Guillou, Hamilton has also been portrayed by Peter Haber, Stellan Skarsgård and Peter Stormare.

The Persbrandt Hamilton films might be available on Netflix and similar services outside Scandinavia too.

Persbrandt has played in a lot of Swedish productions (obviously), but also some international productions. For Bond fans, his two films playing "the Swedish James Bond – Carl Hamilton might be of interest. Originally a series of books by Jan Guillou, Hamilton has also been portrayed by Peter Haber, Stellan Skarsgård and Peter Stormare.

The Persbrandt Hamilton films might be available on Netflix and similar services outside Scandinavia too.
    Thanks @Torgeirtrap. This looks quite good. I'll seek it out.

Thanks @Torgeirtrap. This looks quite good. I'll seek it out.

The films aren't Oscar material, but enjoyable enough. I think they intended to make a third one as well, but they didn't get as far as producing it. Don't know why.

Edit: The third one, named after the book with the same name, was supposed to be Hamilton 3: I hennes majestäts tjänst (Hamilton 3: In Her Majesty's Service). An OHMSS reference there!
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 1,661
    Brexit Bond is the future after Craig! Bond faces a post Brexit UK where nothing works, there's huge jams at the borders and motorways and politicians talk a lot of **** all the time.

M says "Brexit has made MI6 almost redundant. We need you to save the world, Bond, just to justify keeping MI6!"

And the villain has to be a woman to appease the Metoo movement. Preferably lesbian. No, not a true lesbian. She used to be hetrosexual but she hates all men so she turned lesbian. That will appeal to all men-hating feminists. And throw in some jokes about "horrible foreigners" just to boost the UK box office! Nigel Farage will love that. Purvis and Wade can write the screenplay! "Inspired by Brexit, this is our greatest Bond screenplay," they told the press. :P

• DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.

Yes, he played Zalashenbko in the opening scene, but IMO he was wasted in that, as he is barely in two minutes. He played Gunvald Larsson in the Swedish TV Martin Beck series and was also in the Oscar winning Danish movie "In a better world" by Susanne Bier. German actors? Well, Waltz is Austrian. In the late 80's or in the 90's I would have considered Jürgen Prochnow, but he is too old now.
    Sebastian Koch (who was in the Oscar winning German movie "The Life of Others" and also stars in the Oscar nominated movie "Never look away", and who also starred in Spielberg's "Bridge of Spies") comes to mind.
    220px-Sebastian_Koch_2011.jpg

Or Ulrich Matthes, who was actually the original first choice for Le Chiffre in CR, but had to bow out due to theatre commitments.
    Ulrich-Matthes-moderiert-die-Faust-Verleihung-in-Hamburg_big_teaser_article.jpg

Ulrich Tukur would also be a candidate.
    220px-Grimmepreis_2015_027.jpg

And then there is Bruno Ganz.
    bruno-ganz-bild-rct500x400u.jpg

Or Christian Berkel. He acted in "Valkyrie" and "Inglourious Basterds".
    u1149002-083555033-christian-berkel.jpg?$w250p$
    Of the names I'm familiar with, I think Sebastian Koch or Christian Berkel could have been a good fit for Craig's Bond – possibly the next actor too, if they don't take a long break between actors. Berkel sure has the classic Blofeld look!
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,261
    Of the names I'm familiar with, I think Sebastian Koch or Christian Berkel could have been a good fit for Craig's Bond – possibly the next actor too, if they don't take a long break between actors. Berkel sure has the classic Blofeld look!

He has, for sure.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Brexit Bond is the future after Craig! Bond faces a post Brexit UK where nothing works, there's huge jams at the borders and motorways and politicians talk a lot of **** all the time.

M says "Brexit has made MI6 almost redundant. We need you to save the world, Bond, just to justify keeping MI6!"

And the villain has to be a woman to appease the Metoo movement. Preferably lesbian. No, not a true lesbian. She used to be hetrosexual but she hates all men so she turned lesbian. That will appeal to all men-hating feminists. And throw in some jokes about "horrible foreigners" just to boost the UK box office! Nigel Farage will love that. Purvis and Wade can write the screenplay! "Inspired by Brexit, this is our greatest Bond screenplay," they told the press. :P

I hope your last paragraph is an attempt at humor. Because I read crap like that and take it first as ... well, just bigoted crap.

He has, for sure.

Berkel played in U.N.C.L.E too, come to think of it!

Yes, he played Zalashenbko in the opening scene, but IMO he was wasted in that, as he is barely in two minutes. He played Gunvald Larsson in the Swedish TV Martin Beck series and was also in the Oscar winning Danish movie "In a better world" by Susanne Bier.
    Thanks. I'll keep a look out for him when I view the film again shortly.
    German actors? Well, Waltz is Austrian. In the late 80's or in the 90's I would have considered Jürgen Prochnow, but he is too old now.
    Sebastian Koch (who was in the Oscar winning German movie "The Life of Others" and also stars in the Oscar nominated movie "Never look away", and who also starred in Spielberg's "Bridge of Spies") comes to mind.
    220px-Sebastian_Koch_2011.jpg

Or Ulrich Matthes, who was actually the original first choice for Le Chiffre in CR, but had to bow out due to theatre commitments.
    Ulrich-Matthes-moderiert-die-Faust-Verleihung-in-Hamburg_big_teaser_article.jpg

Ulrich Tukur would also be a candidate.
    220px-Grimmepreis_2015_027.jpg

And then there is Bruno Ganz.
    bruno-ganz-bild-rct500x400u.jpg

Or Christian Berkel. He acted in "Valkyrie" and "Inglourious Basterds".
    u1149002-083555033-christian-berkel.jpg?$w250p$
    Sebastian Koch was excellent Black Book and Homeland. He's distinctive (something about him reminds me of Jeroen Krabbe, physically at least). I agree that Prochnow would have been superb in his prime (he was decent even more recently in 24 and Da Vinci Code but I think I first saw him when binging the Beverly Hills Cop series many years ago, and he made an impression there too). I've recently seen Bruno Ganz in The House that Jack Built and do remember Christian Berkel (another distinctive looking actor). All good choices for a Bond film imho.

He has, for sure.

Correct.

He has, for sure.

Correct.

Hopefully that won't affect his chances of playing a Bond villain. Wouldn't mind watching Alicia Vikander, Elizabeth Debicki or Jared Harris in a Bond film either!
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,510
    I don't envy Eon at all post Craig, they have a very tough act to follow.
    As much as I can't wait for Bond 25, I dread when Craig steps down because he's my favourite Bond.
    Having given some thought though here are some things I don't want

A female Bond
    Any recognition of a codename theory
    A lighter tone
    1950's period reinvention
    An expanded universe

I think they would be best served if they just go back the original timeline, leaving the Daniel Craig timeline as it's own timeline separate from the rest of the series.
    I think if you carry on from wherever Craig leaves, unless you get the perfect actor, you will fall down completely because I can't think of an actor that can portray James Bond as Daniel Craig does. Not saying that he is the absolute be all and end all, but the way he humanizes the character and still has that Fleming edge to it, would be tough to recreate.

As for who I think could be the next James Bond, here's my opinion
    Tom Hiddleston, he doesn't look tough, he seems too posh and I think the tone would be light, which wouldn't be my bag
    Tom Hardy, boring choice, he would do well I'm sure but it's obvious. I don't know if he could be a suave secret agent and I think he'd be too old
    Idris Elba, a brilliant actor but I don't want the producers to change the iconic character to please a load of IMDB nerds. If you want to have a black secret agent make one. If I were an actor, I'd rather have a role tailor made for me than be shoehorned in simply because of my race and not on my ability. Plus again he's too old.
    James Norton, please just no, he's too wooden and again isn't tough. I'm sure he's a nice fella but please don't make him Bond.
    Richard Madden, seems like a decent choice. Wouldn't mind him in the role
    Aidan Turner, I could see him being like Brosnan. Think my Mrs would approve and probably never look at me again. Still decent choice
    Henry Cavill, would be a decent choice, if not predictable. Although given his size and stature it would be tough to imagine anyone ever getting the upper hand against him and not making Bond look incompetent in the process. He's a little bit wooden but I wouldn't mind him cast.

With the direction and tone of the films, would be Goldeneye with a slightly dark edge.
    I'm sure there is a lot more Fleming material to be mined and I'm sure they could kick start the new actors run with a bang. Not before we get a brilliant Bond 25 I hope.

Sorry about the massive post, just trying to kill sometime before work
    A hotly-debated topic, but I reckon Tom Hardy would be a fine choice.
    Hardy mumbles too much and is probs too old
    Hawaii?
    Getafix wrote: »
    Hardy mumbles too much and is probs too old

I dunno. Fassbender and Hardy are two men I could see as Bond. Alas, both are too old.
    He's too old. And he mumbles
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 565
    Kind of an interesting note with number of films:

Lazenby had 1
    Dalton had 2
    Brosnan had 4
    Craig will have 5
    Connery had 6
    Moore had 7

If the next actor ends up with 3 films, how strange would that be!

As far as tone goes, I'd prefer they keep it grounded. I do enjoy the larger than life plot and characters, as long as things don't get silly. It doesn't need to be a dark revenge plot. Just something mission oriented, hopefully with some legit espionage and with some flair. Something perhaps like From Russia w/Love, Thunderball, Goldeneye, or The Living Daylights.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    GetCarter wrote: »
    GetCarter wrote: »

But he’s a dwarf?
    Im just worried with todays society that after Craig they might make the Bond series more diverse. I don't think we will ever have a female Bond no, but don't be surprised if the next Bond is a person of color and no it won't be Edris
  • QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    fjdinardo wrote: »
    Im just worried with todays society that after Craig they might make the Bond series more diverse. I don't think we will ever have a female Bond no, but don't be surprised if the next Bond is a person of color and no it won't be Edris

That might be cool but for some other character and series. Bond is ~183 cm high, Caucasian male, son of a Scottish father, Andrew Bond, of Glencoe, and a Swiss mother, Monique Delacroix, of the Canton de Vaud.
    QQ7 wrote: »

That might be cool but for some other character and series. Bond is ~183 cm high, Caucasian male, son of a Scottish father, Andrew Bond, of Glencoe, and a Swiss mother, Monique Delacroix, of the Canton de Vaud.

Exactly. It will be hard to change that
    QQ7 wrote: »

Exactly. It will be hard to change that

And why would someone want to change that in the first place?
  • I'm looking forward a Bond film with a new Bond actor. Not sure when it will be. If Daniel Craig does leave I can see Barbara Broccoli not making a film for 5 years.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I'm looking forward a Bond film with a new Bond actor. Not sure when it will be. If Daniel Craig does leave I can see Barbara Broccoli not making a film for 5 years.

I agree, by the time someone else comes in it'll be over twenty years between Bond movies not featuring Craig. Thats why I think many have taken to Mission Impossible more, because it represents the kinda escapist fun which we associated with Bond for before Craig camd on the scene. They need to rediscover their roots.
    I'm looking forward a Bond film with a new Bond actor. Not sure when it will be. If Daniel Craig does leave I can see Barbara Broccoli not making a film for 5 years.

I wouldn't really be surprised if it were even longer, like 10 years or more.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 1,469
    You know, it wasn't until your last two posts here that I started to think, what is it about the Bond character that appeals especially to new Bond fans today, and in what ways do they connect with the character? How do they like to have fun, take pleasure, get a sense of fulfillment from their job or make a difference, make the world a better place, and what are their imaginings about these things? I've always thought, "Bond is Bond, even updated through Craig; this is how Bond has always been; and new fans need to appreciate how Bond was in the classic years, what things underpin the character". Maybe not true. Some, maybe many, will discover Bond from the Connery and Fleming beginnings. Others may need more of a relatability factor to life today. I suppose some things have changed through the years while other things are as they've always been, i.e. men's appetites, "villains", world challenges and threats. I guess where Bond goes from here will depend much on how much the producers want Bond to stay true to his formative elements and characteristics, and how much they want to modernize the character to appeal to today's audiences, making the character that of a man who lives today. I think the producers have done pretty well so far but could do better to reincorporate some classic elements. Right now I don't really see him needing to be any more modern. Just thinking aloud and something I need to think about more.